• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can GAF suggest some games for me?

Hi all. Can anyone please suggest some games similar to FFVII remake / rebirth, FFXVI, Nier Automata. Preferably on PS5 but PC works too. I guess what I'm asking for is a fun game with good combat. Preferably sword / melee combat. Doesn't have to be super realistic as long as it's fun. I've tried the Witcher 3 a few times but can't properly get into it, so no suggestions for that please. Cheers!

StueyDuck

Hi all. Can anyone please suggest some games similar to FFVII remake / rebirth, FFXVI, Nier Automata. Preferably on PS5 but PC works too. I guess what I'm asking for is a fun game with good combat. Preferably sword / melee combat. Doesn't have to be super realistic as long as it's fun. I've tried the Witcher 3 a few times but can't properly get into it, so no suggestions for that please. Cheers!
Honestly. If it doesn't have to be deep and the Witcher 3 is something you are thinking of.

Give kingdoms of amalur rereckoning a go.

Also Ghost of tsushima

You can also give stranger in paradise a go. The game is absolutely mental but over all it is a fun time similar ff7s and nier

But if it has to be JRPG style then does it have to be a sword? Something like lost judgement could scratch the beatem up itch.

Last edited:
Honestly. If it doesn't have to be deep and the Witcher 3 is something you are thinking of.

Give kingdoms of amalur rereckoning a go.

Also Ghost of tsushima

But if it has to be JRPG style then does it have to be a sword? Something like lost judgement could scratch the beatem up itch.
Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah I quite enjoy sword gameplay, but I will look into what you suggested anyway!

StueyDuck

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah I quite enjoy sword gameplay, but I will look into what you suggested anyway!
Apart from GoT I wouldn't say the rest are very involved in intricate combat, but they do have that last gen gameplay feel of fun, I know that sounds derogatory but what I mean is that they are very straight forward, here's your quest, go do a fight, get some story, upgrade, rinse and repeat

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Hey, yeah this gen would be good, but honestly i'm open to games that are a few years old or whatever.

For Tales of Arise

Only thing I would say is if you have a half decent PC (and I mean only needs to be half decent) get this on PC, the performance mode runs like ass on PS5 for no reason and it will look better and run better on PC.

I have no idea why this is, it looks... good for an anime game, but not to a level where 60FPS mode should be dropping frames with the insane level of pop in they are running.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Anything with Sweet Baby involved gets my vote.
Happy Ryan Gosling GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

IAmRei

Judge by Your games above, its face pace combat, and quite lengthy.

Its :
3D
- granblue fantasy relink
This game combo and visual fx are the best above arise imo, and the game it self is quite fun, almost the same with arise, but better and merrier.

- tales of arise
You cant be wrong with this one if you are okay with anime style. Not usual cringefest anime, still not the best but still fine. The combat is quite fast and combo is fun, but not as depth as dmc for example)

- ys series (people will say 8 and also in 3D, but i prefer old one, especially YS Origin)
Ys10 is said released in this autumn. But avoid 9 people said(i agree because i dont like the presentation)

- darksiders 2 remaster (best western action adventure and hack and slash, fast paced as well)

2D or 2.5D
- star ocean remake 1/2 almost the same, but 2nd remake is just released a year ago
- odin sphere or dragons crown (both are in ps plus)

Judge by Your games above, its face pace combat, and quite lengthy.

Its :
3D
- granblue fantasy relink
This game combo and visual fx are the best above arise imo, and the game it self is quite fun, almost the same with arise, but better and merrier.

- tales of arise
You cant be wrong with this one if you are okay with anime style. Not usual cringefest anime, still not the best but still fine. The combat is quite fast and combo is fun, but not as depth as dmc for example)

- ys series (people will say 8 and also in 3D, but i prefer old one, especially YS Origin)
Ys10 is said released in this autumn. But avoid 9 people said(i agree because i dont like the presentation)

- darksiders 2 remaster (best western action adventure and hack and slash, fast paced as well)

2D or 2.5D
- star ocean remake 1/2 almost the same, but 2nd remake is just released a year ago
- odin sphere or dragons crown (both are in ps plus)
Thanks for the detailed response! Some good suggestions here.

Quasicat

You mentioned Remake/Rebirth, have you played through the Crisis Core Remake? They changed it just enough to be a bit more like the newer remakes.

I’m also not sure if you are into the Samurai Jack animated series, but it has a really good game on Steam which is about to be delisted. It has pretty good sword play and is basically season 6 of the series using the original voices.

SHA

Monster Hunter, Dragons Dogma, Genshin Impact, GodFall.

You mentioned Remake/Rebirth, have you played through the Crisis Core Remake? They changed it just enough to be a bit more like the newer remakes.

I’m also not sure if you are into the Samurai Jack animated series, but it has a really good game on Steam which is about to be delisted. It has pretty good sword play and is basically season 6 of the series using the original voices.
Huh, I didn't even know about Crisis Core at all. I've not played that many FF games at all. Thanks for the recommendation!

Check out Remember Me on PC. That game has crazy melee animations and lets you build your own custom button combos.

Fbh

If you don't mind Ps2-ish graphics then YS8 is great.

It has fast and responsive combat with a focus on last second blocks/evades and switching between multiple playable characters with different attack types to exploit enemy weaknesses. Tons of bosses, fun environments and great music.
The story takes a while to pick up but it's quite enjoyable towards the end, and they thankfully keep the focus on the gameplay.
YS9 is out too but isn't nearly as good, the environments, art directions, story and characters are all a step down from 8.

It has fast and responsive combat with a focus on last second blocks/evades and switching between multiple playable characters with different attack types to exploit enemy weaknesses. Tons of bosses, fun environments and great music.
The story takes a while to pick up but it's quite enjoyable towards the end, and they thankfully keep the focus on the gameplay.
YS9 is out too but isn't nearly as good, the environments, art directions, story and characters are all a step down from 8.
You know what, honestly this looks super fun. I'm not massively against the PS2 level graphics, but I am curious to the reasoning behind this design choice. (I have no idea about this series, so forgive me if this is just the way they do it.)

cash_longfellow

Gold Member

I think you forgot what ps2 games looked like 😂. Late ps3 games at times, but nowhere close on ps2.

Fbh

I think you forgot what ps2 games looked like 😂. Late ps3 games at times, but nowhere close on ps2.

And I think you forgot what Ps3 games looked like. I said Ps2-ish because it doesn't look quite like a Ps2 game, but it's definitely closer to the likes of an emulated Rogue Galaxy or FFXII than Ni No Kuni or FFXIII.

Also "late ps3 game...at times?", dude it's originally a Vita game, you know the same vita that couldn't handle most Ps3/360 era games. The Ps4/5 version is obviously higher res, higher framerate and they've improved the textures and foliage a bit, but you can still tell it's a Vita game.

You know what, honestly this looks super fun. I'm not massively against the PS2 level graphics, but I am curious to the reasoning behind this design choice. (I have no idea about this series, so forgive me if this is just the way they do it.)

It's probably just a budget thing.
Falcom is a pretty small team of fewer than 100 people and yet they put out content packed and generally well received RPG at a pretty fast pace.

Last edited:
Top Bottom