• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can MS change their ram to GDDR5 or is it too late at this point?

madmackem

Considering dev kits are basically pcs and I'm sure there have been several different iterations of the dev kits themselves I do not see any reason why they couldn't. It's entirely possible they had dev kits with ddr3 and a different dev kit with gddr5.

Now my personal opinion still holds that MS does not care about competing on a technical level anymore. They hit a home run with Kinect and are banking on that transitioning into this gen. It makes me sad to think about it.

Home run in what sense, wasnt software sales shocking on kinect?. The core gamer hates it.

Seance

Banned
Is it necessary? We've already seen how ugly the UE4 tech demo looks on PS4 with GDDR5, I doubt it's very important.

x-Lundz-x

Home run in what sense, wasnt software sales shocking on kinect?. The core gamer hates it.

A home run in the sense they sold a shitload of them. And you are right the core gamers, us, hate it. I am not sure about the software sales but with as many Kinect devices they sold I'm sure they think that is the wave of the future for them. You can just see their gaming philosophy change over the last few years. They would rather appeal to the non core gaming crowd and focus on media more than delivering the most hardcore specs they can pack in the box this time around.

Is it necessary? We've already seen how ugly the UE4 tech demo looks on PS4 with GDDR5, I doubt it's very important.
I'm sure that have more to with with the GPU, and it's not ugly just not as impressive.

Donnie

No one really knows enough to answer your question. But my gut feeling would be no. Of course no would be relative.

Plenty of people know enough to answer the question. Problem is no matter how many times its been answered it comes up again and again so eventually the people who know just give up. People are too hyped up by PR nonsense to listen, so any valuable info just gets lost in the crowd.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I have 8 GB of DDR3 in my PC. I have 2gb DDR3 on my grapho card.

My PC destroys current consoles. I don't think MS will have a problem with 8GB plus wizard giz / special sauce.

You chose your GPU poorly.

And seriously guys, punctuation matters with memory units. What is gb? Is it gigabyte or gigabit? Or is it the consumer fake units gigabyte (power of 10) which is not a thing in the computing world (power of 2).

Krakn3Dfx

No.

There are some things MS can change this late in the game to more closely match Sony specs, assuming they need to. The changes necessary to move from GDDR3 to 5 with a 7-8 month window to ship though? Anyone who has works in hardware design and development will tell you that's a lot of R&D and fabrication time, more than they have.

They COULD go from 4 to 8GB of GDDR3, again, if they need to, but it would require some redesign of the motherboard obviously.

Either way someone at MS is either scrambling to makes changes that they can realistically work up before console manufacturing starts or they're already where they feel comfortable being.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
You sure about this?

I didn't think they sold such a thing, but they do. Maybe he has a GT 640?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5969/zotac-geforce-gt-640-review-/8

The first graph is the ratio of memory bandwidth to color pixel ROPs (bytes per color operation), which is an entirely synthetic metric but a great illustration of the importance of memory bandwidth. Render operations are the biggest consumer of memory bandwidth so this is where DDR3 cards typically choke.

47436.png

At 1.97 B/cOP, the DDR3 GT 640 has the lowest ratio by far, and is only 66% of the ratio found on the next-lowest card, the GeForce GT 440 OEM. The fact of the matter is that because of its high clockspeed and 16 ROPs, the DDR3 GT 640 has by far the lowest ratio than any other card before it.

47437.png

Of course there’s still a place in the world for DDR3 cards, particularly in very low power situations, but that place is shrinking in size every day. If and when it arrives, we expect that the GDDR5 GT 640 will quickly trounce the DDR3 version in virtually all gaming scenarios. DDR3 for a card this power hungry (relatively speaking) and with this many ROPs just doesn’t look like it makes a lot of sense.

The decision to equip it with DDR3 clearly bottlenecks the card just as it has done to previous generation entry-level cards. So this is by no means a new problem, but it’s a recurring problem that always has the same solution: buy GDDR5. With that said, NVIDIA and their partners will no doubt sell GT 640 DDR3 cards by the truckload – make no mistake, having lots of VRAM moves lots of cards – but if you’re fortunate enough to be reading this article then you’re probably well aware of the performance difference between DDR3 and GDDR5.

No.

I can't belive people are even suggesting they use that much DDR3. It's a complete waste of money.

8 GBs of GDDR5 = a deliciois and filling New York steak

8 GBs of DDR3 = a small bucket of chicken from KFC. Filling, but not premium like the steak.

16 GBs of DDR3 = a huuuuuge bucket of KFC chicken. Way too much for you to eat. Why did buy that much chicken, ya dingus? You'll never be able to eat all that. What a waste!

Awesome analogy.

Top Bottom