• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can someone explain to me how Messi is so good at football

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
in his prime

how has messi been so dominant at this game when you look at him he's small, not that strong, and doesn't look like he has a lot of athleticism?

It blows my mind, there are probably thousands of players more athletic than him
64485509-0-image-a-74_1668299922810.jpg

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
It blows my mind, there are probably thousands of players more athletic than him
I will blow your mind.

What do football players do all the time? They run.

Now check how much do GOATs of long distance running weight? First man to run a marathon below 2 hours - 52kg.

Messi has a lot of qualities, but muscles = endurance is a myth, gym bros mostly gas out incredibly fast.

He has finesse for sure. When I saw him play in Barcelona against Dortmund a few years ago, it was obvious he was different from everyone else.

But like…it’s soccer. Kind of like baseball. The “best” player at soccer is not really that impactful compared to a sport like basketball.

I honestly think what Mbappe did at the World Cup is better than anything Messi has done. But obviously Messi has the longevity and accolades.

feynoob

Gold Member
Barca had Pep Guardiola. He is the one who made Messi. Thnx to that, Messi become insanely good as time went. Just like how Fergie made cristiano Ronaldo's.

A good manager can bring out the best of you, while a bad manager can hinder you.

Look at Mo Salah, Kevin De Bruyne in their Chelsea stint.

Ionian

Went to the Neu Camp when I worked in Barcelona. Office literally faced it, used to watch them practice.

I don't care for football but non the less that stadium was amazing. Was mesmerized.

No beer, just an incredible fan-base. Although they tend to riot wheter they win or lose. (I know he isn't Spanish). Or Catalan!

No Messi or Ronaldo :(

DKehoe

Football isn't just about raw athleticism. It's about technique too. Messi's dribbling, passing, finishing and spatial awareness are all incredible. His small stature gives him a low centre of gravity which helps with his dribbling. So not having what would typically be considered an athletic frame actually helps in some ways with his style of play.
Barca had Pep Guardiola. He is the one who made Messi. Thnx to that, Messi become insanely good as time went. Just like how Fergie made cristiano Ronaldo's.

A good manager can bring out the best of you, while a bad manager can hinder you.

Look at Mo Salah, Kevin De Bruyne in their Chelsea stint.
Guardiola is obviously an incredible manager but Messi was already a special player before Pep took over at Barcelona. In 2006 Inter were willing to pay his €150m buyout clause to sign him. So I wouldn't say it's fair to say Pep made Messi.

Ballthyrm

In more serious fashion, a lot of American sports put a premium on athleticism.
Not every sport need to be that way.

Everything else equals, yes Athleticism will take you further but that's not the only quality a Footballer need.
There is a great article on Five Thirty Eight that deconstruct Messi Stats if you want more data on what makes him so great.
TLDR, he is the best on almost everything that's measurable and important for the game of Football.

Mind you this article is a little bit old and it only gotten better for him from there.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Since when has being small been a factor? If size made you a better at football, wouldn't all thr players look like Mike Tyson?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Everybody knows how to play chess, but to get really good you need to have to look at the board and immediately see patterns, moves and where the game could go, intuition.
Messi has that on the field, he knows what to do, when to do it. He can read the game and predict its outcome. Paired with his skill on the ball and you have a really good player.

Last edited:

jonnyp

in his prime

how has messi been so dominant at this game when you look at him he's small, not that strong, and doesn't look like he has a lot of athleticism?

Uh, how about technique, agility, ball control and a wand of a left foot? Not rocket science. In his prime he also had crazy acceleration and pace.

Last edited:
Cr7 is still better imo.
in your opinion

facts say that he isn't. Messi is more successful.

Ronaldo - 37 years old

Premiership League Titles: x7
Champions League: x5
Ballon d'Or: x5
UEFA Super Cup: x2
Club World Cup: x1
World Cup: x0

Messi - 35 years old

Premiership League Titles: x11
Champions League: x4
Ballon d'Or: x7
UEFA Super Cup: x3
Club World Cup: x3
World Cup: x1

Last edited:

lachesis

Messi, as hard as it's admit, but should be considered better than R7, especially now with world cup under his belt.
However I don't think there was anyone in his era that really gave Messi as close competition like R7. For that reason, I like R7, and cheered for him as I see him as the underdog.
Even though I don't like the juvenile personality of R7, but I think of very highly of him of his achievements, and how hard he pushed himself throughout his career.

Having said that, it's the unique nature of soccer that allows different types of athletics flourish. Low-arsed breed like Maradona/Messi, to huge athletic monsters like Haalland, or anything in between - and that's one of the aspects that I like the sport. Same could be said to many other competitive team sports, but not many have such universal appeal, IMO.

Dreamin

His technique and vision is obviously top level but he is also actually very athletic, he has great agility and that takes power.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Being short is actually not a disadvantage in soccer. Better control over the ball is a key to success in football. Maradona was even shorter at just 5'5 and yet he ran past tall lanky defenders like he's usain bolt.

Unlike Maradona who destroyed his body with drugs, Messi does not partake and actually has a six pack of his own. hes very fit. he just doesnt overdo it with 8-10 packs like Ronaldo.

You just need to be fit as an athelete. All this body building craze is hurting these athletes more as they push their bodies to the limit in the gym and then get hurt on the pitch. Baseball is a joke now. Everyone can lift 280 pounds but literally get injured throwing a pitch or swinging a bat. Something they have been doing their entire lives. An Athlete's Body needs to be nimble, and flexible. They should all be doing yoga instead of lifting weights.

thegame983

Being small is a benefit. Dribbling from A to B, Messi will touch the ball more times than a larger player. More touches, more precision in his dribbling.

Also having small feet is also a benefit as you can more precisely strike the ball.

Loope

Messi is the only player to score in the group stage and all of the knock out stages, and he's 35 years old.
I'm sorry if it was Ronaldo scoring those goals with penalties, we all know how that would go. Scoring penalties it's important, but it's still scoring penalties. And yes, although i'm Portuguese i consider Messi to be a better player than Ronaldo at the essence of the game, everything he does seems efortless, his passing, spatial awareness and dribling is something completely out of this world.

Messi won many titles in a colossal Barcelona, the same Barcelona that basically gave Spain an European and World championship winning midfield. It was very very very well oiled machine that suffered when Xavi and Iniesta retired.

I do believe Ronaldo proved himself to be more complete for being in so many different clubs and always make a difference. I believe Mbappé (if he exists PSG and joins Madrid) will get more titles than either of them.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
i don't think op understands anything about football.

his size is what makes him so good (if he was bigger he wouldnt be as good)

and he is about as athletic as you can get?
6aa0898ce1f4c2c43f7cccb0bbb903d2.jpg

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
He practiced for many, many hours from a young age. That's the skill part, but that's only half of the reason why he's so good.

He's also an intelligent footballer and knows how to read the game. Like a chess Grandmaster who can see how the game and will plan multiple moves in advance, Messi can read runs and build up play better than any player I've seen.

Basically, he's a skillful genius.

At top levels, success in sports is mostly just winning a genetic lottery.
I mean it is and it isn't. He won a lottery sure but he also has spent his entire life from a very young age training and practicing at playing the game. He has dedicated his entire existence to soccer.

LimanimaPT

Messi is the only player to score in the group stage and all of the knock out stages, and he's 35 years old.
What makes Messi better then Ronaldo and the all time best player is not the goals he scores, it's the fact that he is such a complete player. He's a playmaker and he scores. He has an unbelievable dribble, he scores all type of goals (well, maybe not with he's head because he's short), he offers goals to he's collegues, he has precise passing skills, he's good at free kicks and I could go on forever.
With no doubt the best player to ever play the game.

Who says Ronaldo is better is delusional. Before Ronaldo there is at least Maradona and Péle.
Great scorer? Yes, but not much more then that. It takes more then goals to make an out of this world player.
I actually enjoyed more seeing Luis Figo play then Ronaldo.

Note that I'm portuguese...

Last edited:

LimanimaPT

in your opinion

facts say that he isn't. Messi is more successful.

Ronaldo - 37 years old

Premiership League Titles: x7
Champions League: x5
Ballon d'Or: x5
UEFA Super Cup: x2
Club World Cup: x1
World Cup: x0

Messi - 35 years old

Premiership League Titles: x11
Champions League: x4
Ballon d'Or: x7
UEFA Super Cup: x3
Club World Cup: x3
World Cup: x1

Titles don't make a player better then other because Football is a team game. Messi or Ronaldo didn't won those titles, the teams did.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
in his prime

Messi may be a good soccer player. But he can't do a high school math calculating. 🧮 🐴

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Messi has great execution and disrupts other teams defense with strong moves and banks in straight cash money shots his shots sail into the goals.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
Human Growth Hormone, he was able to take this stuff legally because he has a disorder. He's talented and skilled but this probably pushed him over. I hear that even if you take things like steroids at one point, muscles have memory so it's easier to rebuild or maintain after treatments.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
He practiced for many, many hours from a young age. That's the skill part, but that's only half of the reason why he's so good.

He's also an intelligent footballer and knows how to read the game.
I am a football noob who expects to be shit on by purists but from what I've seen in the World Cup players like Messi basically walk 75% of the time then turn on the jets like a motherfucker when it counts and just DESTROY.

I've seen similar behavior watching hockey in the likes of Guy Lafleur, Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I am a football noob who expects to be shit on by purists but from what I've seen in the World Cup players like Messi basically walk 75% of the time then turn on the jets like a motherfucker when it counts and just DESTROY.

I've seen similar behavior watching hockey in the likes of Guy Lafleur, Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux.
Being 35 and playing at those levels well… that is skill too, knowing how and when to tap in your energy resources.

Scotty W

Banned
It is strange the way that virtuosity works. Wayne Gretzky was virtually indistinguishable from Lady Diana Spencer, yet he was the greatest. Similar to Kurt Cobain being a terrible guitarist, but a very interesting songwriter.

acm2000

he had a dream, and he worked hard to achieve it.

also playing in spain helps, its not so much about defending over there :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Because he's short and incredibly crafty due to his swiftness. In football size doesn't matter, though it's better to be on the small or average side. In basketball however being a certain size is a legitimate requirement.

EekTheKat

Interesting enough YouTube saw fit to push me a short about Messi even though I don't follow football.

Not sure how true this is, but it does reflect high iq athletes being able to approach and analyze the game mentally and pick your defense apart.

Toots

Gold Member
low center of gravity and trememdous ball control makes it nearly impossible to take the ball from him.

Top Bottom