• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can someone please REE-splain to me how Aliens can be offensive

jason10mm

Gold Member
I bet you can really fuck with the Apple algorithm if you start Aliens and just replay any offensive scenes over and over. Then it probably thinks those scenes are the reason folks watch the film and it will start recommending more films like that :p

Valonquar

Reminds me of the bit in Master of None where one guy is mentioning that Fisher Stevens is his acting role model as an Indian actor because he didn't realize he was a white guy in brownface.

*Nightwing

You can’t assign logical reasoning to emotional based idiocy.
MCP25eI.jpg

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Nah it’s clearly when Ripley discovers there’s an android on board.
Oh snap, you may be right. The humans are so racist against the good android.

This little quip by Hudson (as mentioned by others) was the first thing I thought of that could have prompted that disclaimer 🤡:

1) Wow, the quality of this clip!
2) I never realized before how close Ripley’s Italian dubber sounded to Sigourney Weaver. It was a perfect match.
3) This movie’s look, atmosphere and composition is astounding. Just from a clip so brief you get the impression of a kind of quality most modern cinema doesn’t even begin to understand.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
The only thing I find offensive is passing that actress of as Latina. They should have given her different last name if they didn't want to hire an actual Latina.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Not saying its anything to do with Lambert, or why it should matter, but she's mentioned as being trans. Not played by a trans actor being a problem? Maybe it's the wording in the report about her? Dunno...

F4uTNvn.png

Emphasis isn't mine

Where was that from? It certainly wasn't in the original movie for sure as the only reason the casting was done the way it was is because the original script was entirely gender neutral in regards to the Nostromo's crew.

They certainly weren't trying to be "progressive" or whatever in 1979!

Where was that from? It certainly wasn't in the original movie for sure as the only reason the casting was done the way it was is because the original script was entirely gender neutral in regards to the Nostromo's crew.

Its a blink and you'll miss it thing when Ripley is getting debriefed/fired from W-Y, and Ripley is in the way of most of the screen for the second it's there. I actually doubted myself and thought it may have only showed up in the extended version 🤔

xfd2suN.jpg

The cleaner pic surfaced in the "Weyland Yutani Report" book they brought out I think...or maybe extras on a dvd or something? All the crew have extended bio's. Can be found on various alien wiki's now anyways

Not that Lambert being trans does anything to the story at all, negative or positive. It may have been an Easter egg, as originally all crew in Alien were written as men? Anyway, like I said, I don't know if it is the trans thing, but it may be something that certain people would pick up on and complain about these days
About 3.15 in (for all of about 10 seconds):

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
The only thing I find offensive is passing that actress of as Latina. They should have given her different last name if they didn't want to hire an actual Latina.
So in 100 years the name Vasquez is inextricably linked to mexican type brown people?

Please, feigning concern over this is the most ludicrous pearl clutch ever.

sharp weiner

Neo Member
Only seen it a few times but always assumed the Vasquez character was a mix of Russian, Brazilian, and Moroccan. But I guess not?

So in 100 years the name Vasquez is inextricably linked to mexican type brown people?

Who is feigning anything? My man is latino so it stands out to him as weird like it would to most people. They gave the character a typical latino surname, and obviously wanted to portray them as such, so it's a weird choice to not just cast someone that's actually latino and doesn't have to fake the accent. Now, it doesn't bother me much because she does a decent job acting so I never even noticed, but her character is a bit of a hot blooded latino stereotype, and the knowledge it's a lady named Goldstein does make me view it in a different light. People are allowed to feel different ways about things, especially when it comes to the portrayal of their own culture.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Who is feigning anything? My man is latino so it stands out to him as weird like it would to most people. They gave the character a typical latino surname, and obviously wanted to portray them as such, so it's a weird choice to not just cast someone that's actually latino and doesn't have to fake the accent. Now, it doesn't bother me much because she does a decent job acting so I never even noticed, but her character is a bit of a hot blooded latino stereotype, and the knowledge it's a lady named Goldstein does make me view it in a different light. People are allowed to feel different ways about things, especially when it comes to the portrayal of their own culture.
Aliens was filmed in England, where are they gonna get a bevy of "latino" actors over there? Goldstein has some South American heritage apparently, plus she was built like a brick shithouse, came from an area where she would be familiar with the Vasquez attitude Cameron wanted, how can ANYONE say they didn't get the absolute best person for the role given the limitations they had? There is no "latino" race, it's just a culture laid on top of a massive ethnic melting pot, virtually anyone can fit into it. How many light eyed blonde telenovella actresses are there?

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

I didn't say she had to be brown or Mexican. I said they should have hired a Latina Actress given the surname they gave the character.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I didn't say she had to be brown or Mexican. I said they should have hired a Latina Actress given the name they gave the character.

GUMUTfe.jpg

It's pretty obvious there is no disrespect behind the acting or attempt to "brownface" in a mocking way, given the limitations of where they were filming and the qualities Goldstein (who, again, has a global family tree just like many latinos) brought to the table, I'm still not sure why you think the name of the character REQUIRES a specific regional actor to play it. Goldstein nails the look, the attitude, and the accent impeccably, it's a great case of "right actor for the part" ignoring any DEI checklist bullshit. Hell, the actress speaks spanish, was a bodybuilder, and grew up in LA, how much BETTER for the part could she be? Unless there was an ACTUAL hispanic female Marine from some southside barrio who didn't get the role I'm not aware of, it's PERFECT.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
GUMUTfe.jpg

It's pretty obvious there is no disrespect behind the acting or attempt to "brownface" in a mocking way, given the limitations of where they were filming and the qualities Goldstein (who, again, has a global family tree just like many latinos) brought to the table, I'm still not sure why you think the name of the character REQUIRES a specific regional actor to play it. Goldstein nails the look, the attitude, and the accent impeccably, it's a great case of "right actor for the part" ignoring any DEI checklist bullshit. Hell, the actress speaks spanish, was a bodybuilder, and grew up in LA, how much BETTER for the part could she be? Unless there was an ACTUAL hispanic female Marine from some southside barrio who didn't get the role I'm not aware of, it's PERFECT.
I'm not arguing her acting ability. You ok with White people playing Native Americans too or is that a bridge too far? Where do draw the line? Is there a line?

Marvel14

Banned
GUMUTfe.jpg

What's amusing is that in a profession that is all about pretending to be something you're not, there are people who insist on representational authenticity.

If Goldstein won the part on pure acting merit and she brings validity to the background she is representing through her abilities then that should be enough.

expand...I'm not arguing her acting ability. You ok with White people playing Native Americans too or is that a bridge too far? Where do draw the line? Is there a line?
It's not possible in the current climate for Caucasians to play most minorities and it be considered valid/acceptable by the public. But Latinos are a special case because they truly are mongrels of all shades (I am one). In the case of latinos any ethnic group should be able to play one.

Last edited:
Aliens was filmed in England, where are they gonna get a bevy of "latino" actors over there? Goldstein has some South American heritage apparently, plus she was built like a brick shithouse, came from an area where she would be familiar with the Vasquez attitude Cameron wanted, how can ANYONE say they didn't get the absolute best person for the role given the limitations they had? There is no "latino" race, it's just a culture laid on top of a massive ethnic melting pot, virtually anyone can fit into it. How many light eyed blonde telenovella actresses are there?
Fair enough, but you'd have to agree since there's a lot of grey area different people may feel differently about her casting without the need to feign their feelings.

I was waiting for this tone deaf response. Because I'm Latino. I imagine you're not underrepresented in Hollywood l. I don't expect you to understand. If the character is Latina why not, you know hire a Latina?
But why does having your race represented in a Hollywood film matter to you? You talk as though that is the crux of an argument in and of itself, but I genuinely don't understand why that is.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm not arguing her acting ability. You ok with White people playing Native Americans too or is that a bridge too far? Where do draw the line? Is there a line?
Sure, why not? If they can convincingly LOOK and ACT the part, WTF do I care about the human's DNA? We got men playing women and women playing men, once you cross that rubicon does ethnicity REALLY matter?

If anything, my sticking point is EXPERIENCE. It irks me to no end when the actor can't properly say professional lingo, gets hung up on scientific terms, or throws a sloppy salute. I care more about hiring vets to play military characters and science educated actors to play professors, scientists, doctors, and engineers than I do about whether or not the actor is actually blind, is actually Jamaican, is actually a blue space cat, or whatever.

I get that a hispanic person bemoans seeing other folks play them on screen. Asians and native americans got that complaint in SPADES, as due native Africans. But guess what, so do Southern americans, mormons, anyone hoping for ANY geographic representation in western media of any historic region NOT England as "proper british english" is now the dafault accent of the ancient Greeks, Romans, Vikings, Columbus, the French, and the Golden Horde. Thats just the way it is my friend.

If you want to see lots of latinos, watch shit in spanish. Thats where they work.

Cohetedor

I have a stupid theory, I think it's simply because of the word "alien" . A certain group doesn't like the term "illegal alien" and prefers "undocumented immigrants" Instead. So they simply flagged every piece of media that has "Alien" in its title or synopsis regardless of its content.

JayK47

Everything that is "wrong" with this movie is why all modern movies suck. To try and make a movie today that meets all modern criteria, it is going to be bland and boring. You basically cannot make anything worth watching within the confines of modern progressives. They suck the literal life out of everything.

Woggleman

If this movie came out today the usual suspects on YouTube would be calling it woke. The minute they saw the woman with muscles and short hair they would have thrown a fit.

daffyduck

I have a stupid theory, I think it's simply because of the word "alien" . A certain group doesn't like the term "illegal alien" and prefers "undocumented immigrants" Instead. So they simply flagged every piece of media that has "Alien" in its title or synopsis regardless of its content.
I thought it was “irregular migrants”.

tygertrip

That scene is from Aliens, not Alien.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That scene is from Aliens, not Alien.

What a weird throwaway retcon detail to add. I wonder how Veronica Cartwright felt about it! Although I doubt she was/is aware of it given how obscure this is.

That said the way its described in the text makes it seem more like a small nugget of dystopian detail that in this future parents can post natally "convert" their offspring to an arbitrary gender.

TDiddyLive

GUMUTfe.jpg

How do we know the character Vasquez isn’t a white girl adopted and raised by a Hispanic family? Huh? Huh? HUH?

Top Bottom