• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can someone recommend me sad, nihilistic music?

Banned
Star One's album Victims of the Modern Age
that's based on distopian SciFi Movies and TV Shows, like Clockwork Orange, Matrix, Blade Runner and such.

This album isn't sad exactly, but it's distopian, and there's some nihilism

[Prog Metal]

another of Arjen Lucassen's works however is about depression, and somewhat nihilistic in some songs.

Guilt Machine - On This Perfect Day

[Prog Metal]

lyrics from the song "Perfection?" on it:
What's one more year
A trip around the sun?
Rise up and leave me
The journey's done

this album is all somber, fans were asked to send in voice clips of them saying theme appropriate phrases in their native language

again Arjen Lucassen, again very somber and sad,
the final track, and title track of his concept album Lost in the New Real which is about a person being brought back to live as a synthetic lifeform in the future, and ultimately deciding he wants to be turned off again.

[Prog Rock]

the album itself isn't fully sad, it does have themes about the meaning of life, what is reality, and ultimately this song above about deciding he wants to die.

the album is narrated by late Rutger Hauer, his character is called Voight Kampff, a little nod to Blade Runner.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Wake from your sleep
The drying of your tears

Today, we escape, we escape

Pack and get dressed

Before your father hears us

Before all hell breaks loose

Breathe, keep breathing
Don't lose your nerve
Breathe, keep breathing

I can't do this alone
Sing us a song
A song to keep us warm

There's such a chill, such a chill

And you can laugh
A spineless laugh

We hope your rules and wisdom choke you

Now we are one in everlasting peace

We hope that you choke, that you choke

Last edited:

Banned
A Scifi song about the Apocalypse. A few colony ships are escaping earth, but the majority of Humanity is left behind, waiting for the Asteroid to hit.
The Song is from the perspective of one of the ones left behind on earth, talking about/with his family.

Orden Ogan - It is Over (feat. Dennis Diehl)
[Power Metal]

this isn't the original version, but a new version featuring the singer of "Any Given Day",
the original version is great too, but IMO this singer brings way more gravity to the song.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Bright Venus regaled, Hyades and Pleiades, the pleasure dome Hails!
6Q0G1RE.png

NSFW

Marjorie Cameron is in the movie. The song, with a nihilistic loneliness reminiscent of Scelsi and evocative of melancholia, may have been played on human bones.

Banned
Star One's album Victims of the Modern Age
that's based on distopian SciFi Movies and TV Shows, like Clockwork Orange, Matrix, Blade Runner and such.

This album isn't sad exactly, but it's distopian, and there's some nihilism

[Prog Metal]

another of Arjen Lucassen's works however is about depression, and somewhat nihilistic in some songs.

Guilt Machine - On This Perfect Day

[Prog Metal]

lyrics from the song "Perfection?" on it:
What's one more year
A trip around the sun?
Rise up and leave me
The journey's done

this album is all somber, fans were asked to send in voice clips of them saying theme appropriate phrases in their native language

again Arjen Lucassen, again very somber and sad,
the final track, and title track of his concept album Lost in the New Real which is about a person being brought back to live as a synthetic lifeform in the future, and ultimately deciding he wants to be turned off again.

[Prog Rock]

the album itself isn't fully sad, it does have themes about the meaning of life, what is reality, and ultimately this song above about deciding he wants to die.

the album is narrated by late Rutger Hauer, his character is called Voight Kampff, a little nod to Blade Runner.

imma spam some more Arjen Lucassen stuff in here 😅

more Scifi sadness and depressing themes.
Earth is nearly uninhabitable, there's a war on earth, the father of the protagonist of this song left him to fight in it.
he promised to come back and take him to earth... but he never came back. and it's hinted at that humanity as a whole is almost extinct, with the protagonist and his sister being left alone on Mars.

He uses a machine called The Dream Sequencer to visit a simulated earth, but he's slowly dying.

Ayreon - My House on Mars
[Prog Metal/Rock]

same album, same protagonist, using the dream sequencer to relive memories of one of his ancestors (yes Assassin's Creed style), getting woken up by his dad to come down and watch the moon landing.
the optimism of space travel gets contrasted to the protagonist's sad reality being stranded on Mars

Ayreon - One Small Step
[Prog Metal/Rock]

I love how the famouse phrase One Small step for a man, but a giant leap for mankind, by the end of the song can be interpreted as the protagonist deciding to kill himself, "I'm the last on the planets, I decided this morning, I don't want to be the man on mars", which is one small thing to do for a single person, but would mean the extinction of mankind (a giant leap).

Last edited:

Monokrom

Spiritualized - Death Take You Fiddle (2008)

Ministry - The Fall (1996)

New Order - In A Lonely Place (1981)

And One - Heart Of Stone (1994)

Misery Loves Co. -Private Hell (1995)

Last edited:

RSLAEV

There are lots of Russian Doomer mixes. I have no idea what they're saying, but apparently it's supposed to be pretty sad. I just like the vibes. Especially songs 4 and 5 in this mix

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I hope you like this D Days like these...

We were just kids
With visions and hearts that coincide
Climb aboard our ship
We're going whether or not that you like
Whether or not that you like
We sailed across the sea
Aimlessly, no direction or timeline
The shore we'd come to find
We'd seen before, never spoke or shared a word
No need, your true thoughts they can't be heard
They're too beautiful for words
Don't follow roads paved in gold
They will only let you down
What's the fun when you can't share what you've found
Years to build, in a second it's brought down
No one will comfort me
Will know me or what's going on inside
A vacant hole will remain that way for life
To remind me where the both of you once lied
I've learned more from this
Than anything I have read in my whole life

I bet you both laugh at that line

I miss the feel of it
Your touch, your kiss weighs heavy on my mind
Our moment Forever sealed in time
Our secret as much yours as is mine
All logic we have surely left defied
I will hold you till I die

Monokrom

Sopor Aeternus - Dead Souls (2003)

The Sisterhood - Giving Ground (1986)

Lady & Bird - Suicide Is Painless (2007)

Sällskapet - Såg Dom Komma (2013)

Last edited:
Top Bottom