• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can the Switch handle Next Gen games

Will current Switch get Next Gen Games?

• Yes it's possible

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • No you're dreaming

Votes: 86 84.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 8 7.8%

• Total voters

Sakura

Is the Switch even getting ports right now to begin with?
I mean sure you get the occasional port like Witcher 3 (which was already 4 years old at the time anyway) but let's be real here.
Assuming they don't do a Switch Pro, there will be a new Switch in a couple years and it will get ports of early PS5/XSX games and the cycle will continue.

Onlly if the do the port method of old.

Ps5/X

Pandoratomorrow06.jpg

Switch

44231-Tom_Clancy's_Splinter_Cell_(U)(GBATemp)-1480267251.jpg

MagnesG

Banned
Tbh only non Nintendo fans would care that much about so called AAA next gen budget games - even already informed, others are either just lazily curious or mostly concern trolling. Go back to your console wars tflops controller bullshit if it is the latter.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
I’d say medium but I won’t argue with that. And there is that Witcher 3 port to Switch. There are always lower settings.
Xbox One had a 1.1 Tflop GPU or something equal to a HD 7770.
In 2008 or 5 years earlier, you could have built a PC with a HD4870x2 which was 2x more powerful. And that's before talking about the CPU...

This generation started off with a really low baseline or they were obsolete at launch. Digital Foundry has some comparisons where they noted even low end PC's were still much farther ahead in CPU benchmarks compared to current gen.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

Xbox One had a 1.1 Tflop GPU or something equal to a HD 7770.
In 2008 or 5 years earlier, you could have built a PC with a HD4870x2 which was 2x more powerful. And that's before talking about the CPU...

This generation started off with a really low baseline or they were obsolete at launch. Digital Foundry has some comparisons where they noted even low end PC's were still much farther ahead in CPU benchmarks compared to current gen.
But the games are made with that CPU in mind. The Switch is not much weaker in CPU and games aren’t to let behind a 150M installed base market.

BlackTron

Switch may be able to get scaled back ports of current gen games, but next gen if it's going to get the same game, it will be like 360/PS3/Wii multiplatform titles where the Wii had a significantly different game despite sharing the title and marketing.

mickaus

I think that if developers make a special version for the Switch, it could work. Due to the massive CPU/GPU differences straight porting would be basically impossible. But the graphics of the ports shouldn’t be too bad anyway, I mean if doom and Witcher 3 can work well on the switch, how much more complex could new games become? A gun is a gun and a horse is a horse, if you want the best graphics you should go next gen but there won’t be impassable barriers to ports. It’s not like going from the NES to a GameCube.
I remember playing Kingdom hearts 365/2 on the Nintendo DS and while it wasn’t exactly as graphically intensive as Kingdom hearts on the PS2, it was good enough to the point where I just enjoyed the story and game for what it was.

Gargus

Banned
No.

But here is what will happen. Nintendo will continue to pimp the switch by reselling it to people who already have one another 2 or even possibly 3 times by releasing it with more paint schemes in limited editions and probably one more small hardware tweak.

then once next gen has been out a year or so they will launch a more powerful switch. Not as powerful as next gen, but just powerful enough to run 40% of next gen titles with really reduced graphics. Just enough to be able to port over those year or two next gen titles at full price since they will be vastly cheaper on other systems where they run a lot better. Then Nintendo will start with the limited edition paint jobs and occasional hardware tweak to keep reselling them to the same people allover again.

Thats really nintendos pattern far as hardware goes.

Ten_Fold

No, maybe the switch pro will play ps5/xbox x games to a certain extent, I think Switch owners mainly play Nintendo exclusives only anyways, I mean it would be cool if the switch pro got overwatch to run better I would actually buy it.

Fbh

Doubt it. All the current gen games (ok, except the alien one) have needed massive cutbacks already.

I don't really think it needs to either. Indies will continue existing and if you look at the best selling games on Switch it's pretty clear the vast majority of people buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games.

Last edited:

Karmic Raze

Doubt it. All the current gen games (ok, except the alien one) have needed massive cutbacks already.

I don't really think it needs to either. Indies will continue existing and if you look at the best selling games on Switch it's pretty clear the vast majority of people buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games.

Indies and Nintendo only games aren’t going to fill out the library enough. What needs to happen is a Switch Pro or a Switch 2 in the next year or so. It obviously can’t handle PS5/XSX games, so even games that are ported down will need significant hardware improvements from Nintendo.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It couldn't handle this gen's multiplats, forget next gen. Nobody in their right mind is expecting a system with a this for a motherboard to be able to run with the upcoming systems.

pBCpxwZ.jpg

Despite that, I find a lot of Switch games to look great. I run everything at max on my PC and have no issue switching inputs from that to my Switch on my monitor. Luigi's mansion is a great example of a game catered perfectly to the hardware. As long as games like BotW, Mario Odyssey, Astral Chain, Xenoblade, Animal Crossing, etc keep coming I’m fine with the performance. I still played 3DS games until recently and that system’s games looked awful compared to the Dreamcast.
What does first party games have to do with 3rd party games?

The Switch is a perfect platform for enhanced ports of 7th generation classics. There's already plenty of them, but we need more - much more of 'em.

Even though ports of games like The Witcher 3 are very impressive, running on mobile tech, I don't think current or next gen games should be regarded as "the norm". Less demanding games, that could've run on previous generations of platforms? Sure. But not demanding ones.

jts

...hate me...
Exact same way as with PS4/XB1 games. Just ok, with fidelity turned all the way down to what Switch can output. And for some (or many?) that’s enough.

Fbh

Indies and Nintendo only games aren’t going to fill out the library enough.

Except they already do?.
The few ports of current gen games on the system are hardly a big or important part of the library. I'm guessing Switch sales wouldn't be very different with no Doom or Witcher

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
lol no. it can hardly manage current gen games. Witcher 3 runs on it and that came out 2 years before the Switch and it still looks like a blurry mess.

Nintendo will need to release a beefed up Switch if they want to get multiplatform games.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Not as they are on other consoles.

I think ports can always be made, with a little work.

I mean, there was a version of Street Fighter II for the OG Gameboy. There was a version of Resident Evil for the GBC. So, it's always possible, with some cuts.

Hinedorf

Banned
I got Dragon Ball Fighterz on Switch, sorry but to my level of standards the loading screen between fights makes it unacceptable to even consider playing.

To even think that the Switch can handle the top PS4/X1 games right now is not even a reality, just stop.

What does first party games have to do with 3rd party games?

I said the Switch can't handle them due to hardware constraints. Third party devs will have to either skip the Switch when releasing games, or develop special versions of their games catered to the Switch. One option would mean losing out on a growing user base, the other would mean pending time and resources developing Switch specific software.

The second paragraph is an aside mentioning that despite that, it'll do fine with it's exclusives. Apologies if that was confusing.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
I love my Switch, it's where I've done most my gaming since I sold my PS4 a couple of years back (I have a PS3 a friend left me when they died and though I had a PS3 before, I still have a massive backlog on it).

The Witcher 3, while a triumph of sorts, is really the most we will see out of the architecture, really. So PS5/XSX 'multiplats' are unlikely to port over well, if at all.

Top Bottom