• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we be honest? Elden Ring is a JRPG in every sense of the word

Its the most rpg game I’ve ever played out of japan. It’s fully customizable avatar, heavy on stat distribution and player choice, has all the tropes of an rpg (hero must rise up and save war torn kingdom), castles, dragons, swamps, etc. etc.

Shit, the default avatar for most Fromsoft games are Knights. Why are we pretending an rpg ass rpg game made in Japan is not a JRPG? Are people embarrassed to refer to it as such because they don’t want to be lumped in with weebs?

Miyazaki himself has called it a jrpg so why do some people have such a hard time coping with that idea?

Rea

Disagree Donald Trump GIF by CBS News

YukiOnna

There's of course him hyping it up as a traditional adventure of the hero PC going onto become someone great/power fantasy, also all the Berserk influences, the attractive maidens at the hero's side, the mechanical nature of the combat, the boss design. Above all, it's made in Japan under a Japanese teams idea of a specific setting.

Mozzarella

I think it depends, if you call JRPG a genre or not.

If JRPG is a genre, then No it is not.
If JRPG is not a genre then yes, but then, the meaning is lost, beyond being Japanese made, it becomes irrelevant to even point out.

If JRPG is a subgenre of Roleplaying games then: Elden Ring is more a wrpg, because the design philosophy of the game is rather closer to the western ones.

The design philosophy:

1- Western: Create your own character or control a predefined one which you can alter in personality and progression, shape your own story with your choices, the main focus behind the game is the worldbuilding and YOU the player, focus on immersion and side content. As you level you put skill points in your stat and create your own build which can change and dictate how you play your game, your actions on the side quests and the world can change the game, more freedom for the player to become what they want and more options to solve encounters, main stories are usually just there among many other things. Can be party system based as well but the same rules apply.
2- Japanese: You control a main character with option of controlling party members, the characters are set in stone and you just live through THEIR stories, you can sometimes decide their fate in a very straightforward simplistic choice, the focus is on the main story adventure and on the characters surrounding it, usually but not always has anime aesthetics, limited freedom the main things you focus on is the main campaign and grinding through combat encounters to finish side content.

As you can see there are holes in these definitions, because as time evolved the genres extended further and made things harder to define like that, there is overlap here and there, not just between these 2 styles but also between them and other genres.

So in this case i would lean toward Elden Ring being more western than japanese, although its not really any of them, but its closer to the western style which probably based on what i heard King's Field took inspiration from, which also draws back to Ultima Underworld?

So, if we are talking genres and you call Elden Ring JRPG then you are probably wrong.

If JRPG is not a genre then it becomes simple.
RPG and Action RPG
The distinction is simple, action rpg allows the player to play in real time combat and the player skill and reactions play a big deal in overcoming encounters. In RPG the stat check plays a big deal instead.
You can even detail it further, you can call it Turn based RPG, Tactical RPG, Action RPG, Open World RPG.

In this case Chain Echoes becomes a WRPG, because it was made in the western part of the world, (i feel dumb calling things western and eastern but it is what it is lol) and yes Elden Ring becomes a JRPG.

And then you have one final option and its to call them all, RPG, role playing games. Period.

To conclude, it depends on how we are looking at it, i personally use Action RPG and RPG terms, but even that is a bit foggy because games like New Vegas made such a perfect transition from CRPGs to Open World 3D RPGs that its hard to call it ARPG, in this case probably its just a RPG although it plays in action, lol.

This shit needs a college degree fr fr

Anyway, there is only but one truth.
Elden Ring is a Role Playing game, and its one of the games of all time.

Mokus

Noo!

It's an RPG made by a japanese game studio, but doesn't fit in to the JRPG genres. There are western game developers who are making JRPGs, but they aren't considered to be WRPGs. And Elden Ring is not even trying to be a JRPG, it belongs to the Soul's RPG genre.

Last edited:
Of course it's not, like everyone else has replied. But there's some very distinct Japanese flavour, that's for sure. There's no way I could ever confuse it with a western developed game.

belmarduk

Its the most rpg game I’ve ever played out of japan. It’s fully customizable avatar, heavy on stat distribution and player choice, has all the tropes of an rpg (hero must rise up and save war torn kingdom), castles, dragons, swamps, etc. etc.

Shit, the default avatar for most Fromsoft games are Knights. Why are we pretending an rpg ass rpg game made in Japan is not a JRPG? Are people embarrassed to refer to it as such because they don’t want to be lumped in with weebs?

Miyazaki himself has called it a jrpg so why do some people have such a hard time coping with that idea?

Are you an orphan?
Do you meet a mysterious girl?
Do you meet people who will drop everything and follow you on your quest?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Do you fight a supreme being near the end of the game because if so then yes it's a Japanese role playing game.

I think the Souls games are kind of a weird Japanese game but with Western aesthetics.

It's also definitely a Japanese because there's no incontinuity sequels except for the Dark Souls series.

I still want Demon Souls to be linked to Bloodborne but that will never happen.

They always detached game from the attachment part and I think that's something that should be rectified one day because it's so hard for Japanese role-playing games to be linked. It's quite amazing and I love Japanese game time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's more of a WRPG than a JRPG in pretty much every conceivable way. Unless you have changed the definition of "JRPG" to simply mean "RPG made in Japan".

Well, if games like FF16, FF7: Remake, Neir Automata, Valkyrie Elysium, Star Ocean 6 and Code Vein to name a few are considered JRPG’s by most, why not Elden Ring? Imo, most WRPG and JRPG’s now are just glorified action games imo with a leveling system, crafting and numbers popping off the enemies when you attack them anyway.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I know it’s opinion, but imo games like Star Ocean, Neir, Dragonquest, Final Fantasy, Valkyrie Elysium, Persona 5, Souls games, Valkyria Chronicles, Atelier Ryza, Blue Reflection have good to great combat.

Sure, there are JRPGs and WRPGs with good and bad combat. ER having good combat doesn't make it a JRPG when everything else about it is so un-JRPG.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It doesn't matter if you want call "JRPG" or "WRPG" or whatever, all that matter its damn good RPG.

The reason I'm not all that fond of western devs made RPGs because in all honestly I'm not fan of how they make combat, loot and this obsession over immersion and realism.

Last edited:
It’s an RPG

It’s Japanese

But it’s not a JRPG, which is something that focuses more heavily on narrative with a fairly narrow style

It’s an ARPG, imho. But honestly, probably it’s own genre entirely (Soulsbourne)

But classifications are kinda silly anyhow, FF16 is starting to blur the line now too given it’s DMC-Esque battle system

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
OP seriously making a thread to tell us: "Big news everyone, I've discovered that Elden Ring is made by Japanese people."

Sentenza

No, it isn't.

And to put things in perspective, even his very creator went on record claiming he's not particularly fond of the JRPG subgenre and wanted to do something substantially different.

Why are we pretending an rpg ass rpg game made in Japan is not a JRPG?
Because the "JRPG" descriptor is supposed to summarize a very specific formula.
It's not meant strictly as a geographical marker about the provenience of a game.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

JRPG definition is always fuzzy and each people has is own definition.

My definition :
a game featuring level up, party members, often (but not required) battle menu based, "JRPG music" (can't really defined it but I guess some of you see what I mean) and a particular atmosphere (again can't define it).

Aside for level up system, Elden Ring (and any Soulsborne game so far) has nothing to be a JRPG for me.

Example of JRPGs for me : Final Fantasy games, Chrono Trigger, Vagrant Story, Xenoblade Chronicles, Rogue Galaxy, Ni no Kuni... All these games have something in common for me. Elden Ring is completely different from them.

Elden Ring is an ("Soulsborne") action RPG.

Also I will never agree with the definition that "a RPG made in Japan or by Japanese studio is a JRPG by default".

Myths

If it designates the area of origin in which the game is developed then stick to that. But don’t cherry-pick what games are and aren’t just because it isn’t turn-based (or some variant thereof) and/or follows a certain art direction/style.

DelireMan7

Of course it is. Everyone knows that.

JRPG = Japanese RPG.

If its made in Japan and its a RPG, then it's an JRPG. It's as simple as that.

I don't really do debate about it but I never got this statement.

Defining a genre of a game by the place of creation is weird.
If Baldur's Gate was made in Japan, you would define it as a JRPG.
If a japanese studio do a CRPG/WRPG you would call it JRPG ?

A genre help to define a game and its characteristics, not its place of origin.

Myths

JRPG definition is always fuzzy and each people has is own definition.

My definition :
a game featuring level up, party members, often (but not required) battle menu based, "JRPG music" (can't really defined it but I guess some of you see what I mean) and a particular atmosphere (again can't define it).

Aside for level up system, Elden Ring (and any Soulsborne game so far) has nothing to be a JRPG for me.

Example of JRPGs for me : Final Fantasy games, Chrono Trigger, Vagrant Story, Xenoblade Chronicles, Rogue Galaxy, Ni no Kuni... All these games have something in common for me. Elden Ring is completely different from them.

Elden Ring is an ("Soulsborne") action RPG.

Also I will never agree with the definition that "a RPG made in Japan or by Japanese studio is a JRPG by default".
Having battle menus or controlling in-field actions through an HUD is inherently a Japanese property? And “particular atmosphere” just sounds like art style not veering too far from “anime” while being similar to most 90s RPGs. Honestly, this definition is just nebulous and purposefully vague. The games are better described by how they play but don’t ascribe that to a whole region/country of people.

I don't really do debate about it but I never got this statement.

Defining a genre of a game by the place of creation is weird.
If Baldur's Gate was made in Japan, you would define it as a JRPG.
If a japanese studio do a CRPG/WRPG you would call it JRPG ?

A genre help to define a game and its characteristics, not its place of origin.

Then don’t use “Japanese”, stick to terms that actually describe the manner in which the game plays based on core mechanics.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I swear this debate comes around every few years. Originally it was that zelda is a jrpg and now it is souls games.

Top Bottom