• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we FINALLY pull these off in real time on next gen? (PS5, Series X)

LMJ

This forum has been getting a little too depressing lately due to all the fanboy crap and console war silliness, so why not put that stuff to good use ;) lol

We all remember the fake trailers or "supposed" real time trailers that have been released throughout the last 3 generations that looked absolutely drop dead gorgeous and turned out to be either cinematic or what they were aspiring to achieve... aka disappointment lol

Well now with such a large jump with these upcoming next Generation Systems perhaps it will actually be possible to achieve that fidelity, that vision, to make "fake" turn into reality...

So go ahead and throw in your BS trailer, If you wanna throw a little fanboy shade here and there than by all means go for it (every publisher was guilty of it) and most of all explain why you think it would be possible today...

I'll start off with a very easy one, from the king of BS trailers in a generation the playstation 3 E3 of 2005

The OG Killzone 2 trailer

I truly believe with the breakthroughs made through animation, particle effects not to mention, ray tracing, high definition textures and overall skin shading that we could actually pull this off at this point, even the smoke effects and atmospherics I think are achievable.

Last edited:

LMJ

Ah yes another E3 2005 fake-o, me too Potato Chip PRO Potato Chip PRO ...me too

This trailer FYI

this one's a little more tricky, there's a lot more going on at a much higher rate, given the High Fidelity of the graphics engines in these new systems I think you might be able to pull it off there might have to be a compromise here or there but I think it's doable

Last edited:

GymWolf

onestly? that kz2 video doens't seems that impressive today, i think battlefield or battlefront are already superior.

motorstorm is still impressive in some details tho.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Ah yes another E3 2005 fake-o, me too Potato Chip PRO Potato Chip PRO ...me too

This trailer FYI

this one's a little more tricky, there's a lot more going on at a much higher rate, given the High Fidelity of the graphics engines in these new systems I think you might be able to pull it off there might have to be a compromise here or there but I think it's doable

I actually bought into this shit back then :messenger_expressionless:

LMJ

I'd say you could pull that off this gen.

FFVII remake looks ten times better than those old renders.

I agree the old renders are low resolution, but there is a lot going on in them
like I said you would be hard pressed to make a Motorstorm game that looks like that today just because there's so much going on in the background

I actually bought into this shit back then :messenger_expressionless:

Alot of us did lol, the actual game was fun, but man what a difference

Fan boys, Fan boys
Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do
When they come for you

Lol oh man it was BAD talking to fanboys at 05, and worse in 06 lol

Last edited:

makaveli60

Am I the only one who always thought that the final Killzone 2 looks better than that CGI trailer besides image quality?

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
The OG Killzone 2 trailer

I truly believe with the breakthroughs made through animation, particle effects not to mention, ray tracing, high definition textures and overall skin shading that we could actually pull this off at this point, even the smoke effects and atmospherics I think are achievable.

I can't remember if that was actual CG. If it is, that will not be possible with next-gen consoles. If CG, that smoke is most certainly a true volume ray-marching approach which can't be done with any of today's RTX hardware. If you think typical non-transparent surfaces is expensive with ray-tracing, imagine trying to step through a volume with enough steps to remove aliasing and get self-shadowing. Not to mention the fluid sim used to create the animation.

Last edited:

LMJ

VFXVeteran VFXVeteran Pretty sure it was a CG trailer of what the still fledgling dev Guerrilla Games WANTED to achieve passed off by a confused Sony intern as real time

As for the rest of your post, oh yeah no pulling off CG Graphics in real-time is still not achievable when it comes to the ACTUAL techniques used, but luckily there are plenty of work arounds as far as tricks we can use with modern day hardware that can come pretty darn close, I don't doubt that enough engineering could ultimately duplicate this trailer even if a concession has to happens here or there... I think it's still possible

I mean heck, they managed to pull off a very similar-looking scenario on the PlayStation 3 but obviously sacrifices had to be met I'm saying they could come closer to this original trailer than ever before, but actual real time.

Also come on people I can't be the only one trying to post these trailers now can I LOL here's one from just last generation where the final product just couldn't meet what was shown... that's right we're talking about the OG Watch Dogs

I actually expected this to be completely outclassed with games this generation, atmospherics completely blowing away what we see in the trailer real-time ray-tracing occurring to offer amazing Reflections and make the city seem even more alive proper AI that makes the hacking feel all the more interesting

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
VFXVeteran VFXVeteran Pretty sure it was a CG trailer of what the still fledgling dev Guerrilla Games WANTED to achieve passed off by a confused Sony intern as real time

As for the rest of your post, oh yeah no pulling off CG Graphics in real-time is still not achievable when it comes to the ACTUAL techniques used, but luckily there are plenty of work arounds as far as tricks we can use with modern day hardware that can come pretty darn close, I don't doubt that enough engineering could ultimately duplicate this trailer even if a concession has to happens here or there... I think it's still possible

I was talking more about the smoke/fire.

Everything else seems possible though. I don't think those characters even had SSS either.

Top Bottom