• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the PS5/XSX Gen The Smallest Jump? = (Post 2023 Showcase Edition)

Mr.Phoenix

The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X is what killed the generational jump.
lol...no... they didn't.

All they did was allow us play last gen games at higher resolution and/or better framerates.

Outside rez and framerate, they offered an experience identical to what the lower-powered consoles offered.

Rez and framerate.... is NOT what makes for a next-gen jump.

yurinka

It will be the biggest jump we ever see since the jump from 2D to 3D.

The thing is that it involves several paradigm shifts related to how games are made, and the engines and workflow need some huge changes that required more years than usual to take full advantage of this.

In addition to this, AAA game every generation require more time to be made, so the games we're seeing released as of today were still made with previous gen engines, workflow and so on.

_Ex_

1M6p20I.jpg

HL3.exe

Sure, it might be the weakest leap visually, but my hope is that -with there finally being good CPU in these consoles- underlying simulation complexity can see a leap up. But I'm still very much looking forward to a lot of things shown.

But something stood out for me while watching these trailers/gameplay demos. With graphics looking so good these days on a technical level, it's weird that most still have the game-logic complexity of a late-stage PS360 game. 'How come the new Pandora game (from a game-logic standpoint) still looks/feels like Far Cry 3, a Xbox 360 game?' Starfield felt like a good leap forward in some ways, but even still, from a technical game-logic complexity (minute-to-minute interaction and simulation) it's still recognizable as something I have played already (robotic NPC and interactions, canned animation deaths, floaty physics, etc). Sure, there are new things added that could not be possible on older hardware (or at least very difficult to optimize for) like realtime docking ships (interesting how that works). But the whole 'every planet is build on proc-gen gives me No Man's Sky flashback. I already sorta know how this is gonna play out.

I'm not a big fan of every big budget game needing to 1up one another. As a result we end up with gigantic -but probably shallow- worlds/universe's build with proc-gen algorithms. But there is still a lot of interesting design stuff to tackle if these games just scale back a bit. Focus on systemic natural feeling NPC interactions for instance, or making the game feel more 'physical' instead of being a floaty box with a gun sticking out. I hope after this unsustainable 'big-bigger-biggest' trend we scale back a bit, reset in a way. Rethink what interactive experience can be, instead of leaning on established fundamentals that (in some cases) stem from the 90's even. Because I feel there is still a lot of interesting design problems to solve when it comes to merging storytelling with emergent systemic game-logic and -especially now with the new leaps in LLM- AI technologies, and physics driven systemics.

Would love it if visuals took a back seat and we see in leap in more naturalistic NPC behavior/animation, and physicalised systems/simulation (instead of just visual window-dressing)

Last edited:

Sethbacca

This, we hit diminishing returns on geometry a while ago. Most of the major gains left to be had are in lighting, effects, textures, and game logic which require stronger systems and bigger teams to accomplish. We will never again see something like jumping from the 16bit era into the 3d era and then the massive 3d gains over the decades from N64/PS1 era to GC/PS2 and so on, it's all iterative from here.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

We have few great looking games like Demon Souls, Forbiden West, Ratchet, FH5. Few upcoming like Ubi Star Wars and Avatar but jump is nowhere close ps3 -> ps4 era. Biggest jump for me is in psvr2 with games like gt7 and re village.

Last edited:

Puscifer

It feels like we are still in the first year. Everybody will blame COVID, and maybe they are right, but the games don’t feel like a generational leap.

Final fantasy XVI looks great, but it still feel like a first-year game. Like those games that surprise you when the new gen launch, but when you look back when we are at the end of the generation that look very outdated.

I believe the PS5 and Series X are capable of so much more, but we won’t see any of it. Xbox has the Series S as a bottleneck and both have huge development times.

By the time a true next gen launches, it will be already a cross-gen game.
I think it was made worse with the PS4 pro for me, I honestly didn't see a single difference in Miles Morales outside of framerate. Apparently Demon's Souls was going to PS4 as well and it shows once the "WOW" factor is gone.

lol...no... they didn't.

All they did was allow us play last gen games at higher resolution and/or better framerates.

Outside rez and framerate, they offered an experience identical to what the lower-powered consoles offered.

Correct, it's new mechanics and such that more powerful hardware allows that makes a gen feel next gen.

Resolution and frame rate help, but aren't the only factors.

Last edited:
PC has a different challenge set imo because you are buying different parts from competitors (think Intel/AMD/Nvidia, even Microsoft in some aspects like APIs etc) and adding them into your PC's hardware or software.

These companies have no incentive to work with each other to optimize the final output, they each guard secrets from one another and have adversarial relationships that would make it hard for them to deliver a cohesive combined design that is greater than the sum of its parts. That's why these systems largely outperform their rough PC equivalent.

Almost every piece of tech in the Xbox Series X or PS5 has some sort of equivalent in the PC space, but no one in that space is willing to share the wealth, so to speak.

Fragmentation is an additional challenge when it comes to optimization as well.

Not to mention that PC parts overall are slowly delivering less of an uplift every gen, particularly GPUs.
Damn, this is a solid read.

Sure, it might be the weakest leap visually, but my hope is that -with there finally being good CPU in these consoles- underlying simulation complexity can see a leap up. But I'm still very much looking forward to a lot of things shown.

But something stood out for me while watching these trailers/gameplay demos. With graphics looking so good these days on a technical level, it's weird that most still have the game-logic complexity of a late-stage PS360 game. 'How come the new Pandora game (from a game-logic standpoint) still looks/feels like Far Cry 3, a Xbox 360 game?' Starfield felt like a good leap forward in some ways, but even still, from a technical game-logic complexity (minute-to-minute interaction and simulation) it's still recognizable as something I have played already (robotic NPC and interactions, canned animation deaths, floaty physics, etc). Sure, there are new things added that could not be possible on older hardware (or at least very difficult to optimize for) like realtime docking ships (interesting how that works). But the whole 'every planet is build on proc-gen gives me No Man's Sky flashback. I already sorta know how this is gonna play out.

I'm not a big fan of every big budget game needing to 1up one another. As a result we end up with gigantic -but probably shallow- worlds/universe's build with proc-gen algorithms. But there is still a lot of interesting design stuff to tackle if these games just scale back a bit. Focus on systemic natural feeling NPC interactions for instance, or making the game feel more 'physical' instead of being a floaty box with a gun sticking out. I hope after this unsustainable 'big-bigger-biggest' trend we scale back a bit, reset in a way. Rethink what interactive experience can be, instead of leaning on established fundamentals that (in some cases) stem from the 90's even. Because I feel there is still a lot of interesting design problems to solve when it comes to merging storytelling with emergent systemic game-logic and -especially now with the new leaps in LLM- AI technologies, and physics driven systemics.

Would love it if visuals took a back seat and we see in leap in more naturalistic NPC behavior/animation, and physicalised systems/simulation (instead of just visual window-dressing)
Agreed

_Ex_

This, we hit diminishing returns on geometry a while ago. Most of the major gains left to be had are in lighting, effects, textures, and game logic which require stronger systems and bigger teams to accomplish. We will never again see something like jumping from the 16bit era into the 3d era and then the massive 3d gains over the decades from N64/PS1 era to GC/PS2 and so on, it's all iterative from here.

In the '80s and '90s graphical leaps were measured in miles, in the '00s by feet, in the '10s by inches, in the '20s we're at millimeters.

Last edited:

SHA

The 8th gen was backward actually, it's actually if you don't take the previous generation into account.

i feel like this year was the first year we saw actual next gen games but like youve said its like year 1 of next gen, three years in.

Except games that came out around launch still havnt been topped. Demon's Souls and Ratchet are pretty much still 2 of the best looking games. OK we've got Horizon too. Forza Horizon 5 and we're about to get FF16- but 3 years and no real progress

What's concerning is look at all the current gen exclusives that have been releasing- you'd expect to see better than: nfs unbound, last of us remake, plague Tale, Gotham knights, Dead space, forspoken, re4, star wars jedi and upcoming Spiderman 2, ff16, Alam wake .. if there's a jump it's so miniscule

There should be a boost simply by virtue of these being ps5/sx only. ...starfield, Avatar, and sw outlaw are the only obvious next gen games huh

High IQ post.

Knightime_X

Small jump if you ignore all technical aspects.
0% of these games can run on older hardware using the same level of performance, image quality, and other graphical capabilities.

UE5 will be the primary pusher for this generation and unfortunately many of the games we are seeing now got caught mid development along with Covid. Also some very big development studios haven't yet released or shown their true next gen games such as Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Id Software, and DICE who push systems to the max.
Not to mention UE5 didn’t officially launch until last year. We won’t be seeing big budget games built with UE5’s full feature set until at least 2024/2025

By comparison, UE4 launched spring 2014 and we didn’t see AAA games until Tekken 7 in 2015 and Gears 4 in 2016

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Now that Sony, MS, and a few others have had their 2023 game showcases, this gives us an idea on the power of these consoles considering that they will be turning 3 years old this year.

I have been gaming since the SNES and to me personally, this is the smallest jump yet.

While there are few games that are standouts (mainly from the companies that have the money and the talent), most games don't really seem like they couldn't be ran on the PS4 or Xbox One at medium-high settings rather than high-ultra.

We have Starfield which is a game with a massive scale that certainly wouldn't be possible on last gen, but what else?

This question extends beyond visually, for example when the PS2/Xbox/GC/Dreamcast released it was obvious day 1, that these games could never been pulled off on the previous generation systems.

We're 3 years in and still haven't truly gotten a "this is next gen" moment, outside of a Matrix Tech Demo (not a game) and probably Starfield due to it's scale.

Your thoughts?

500 consoles was a mistake ...the time for this price tag as the only option has ended...we are about ti see a 3.500 dollars VR glasses... people pay north of 1.000 dollars every two years or every year for a brand new phone.

Next gen I trully hope we see two skus right at launch ... one 500 to 600 dollars for all the 30 fps lovers and apologists who enjoy their cinematic experience ... and one 800 to 1.000 dollars with advanced hardware for the people who enjoy playing games with a clean and fluid image corresponding to their tv capabilities

Its all about choices... as the series s and x are this gen. Next one i expect regular and pro consoles at launch.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Based on current trends I'd say we will get something mind-blowing from Playstation studios specifically (still not really sold on Xbox studios, Fable looks good but it's not beyond the realms of what we've already seen elsewhere), but not for a while. My logic is as follows:

TL;DR - the visual flagship from the previous generation becomes the visual standard for the current gen, until the current gen comes out with its own visual flagship toward the end of the generation, which in turn becomes the visual standard for the next gen.

The trend (since around PS3) seems to be that (specifically) Naughty Dog comes out with a visually amazing title toward end of a given generation and then that ends up being the rough baseline for the following generation until (specifically) Naughty Dog appears and raises the bar again.

PS3: Look at the first three Uncharted games and then look at how much better The Last of Us looks compared to even Uncharted 3. Even in UC3 the visuals AND animations are significantly worse than TLOU.
PS4: TLOU-level visuals were pretty much the standard for a lot of PS4 games until Naughty Dog came out with Uncharted 4, which looked much better than TLOU. We also then had God of War later on of course (Santa Monica) which arguably looks even better, and then TLOU2, which I'd say looks as good but it's a different aesthetic so not comparable to GOW.

PS5/Xbox SX: So far it kinda looks like the baseline is now around God of War PS4 and TLOU2, with a sprinkling of stuff that looks like how Watch Dogs was supposed to look before it got downgraded.

So let's jump back to last gen and some timings of titles I'd say really raised the bar:

PS4 came out in November 2013, Uncharted 4 came out May 2016, God of War PS4 didn't come out until April 2018, and TLOU2 wasn't out until June 2020.
Based on that, we can say that even 3 years after console launch is pretty much the bare minimum, but the other two visual bangers weren't out until 3-7 years after PS4 launched.

Add in the pandemic (it probably did have some impact) AND the fact that this is the first gen where the last gen is basically the same architecture (minus SSDs of course) probably making it easier to stay on cross-platform, and then it's not hard to assume that we won't get any visual bangers that (visually) destroy GOW and TLOU2 for at least another few years.

Last edited:
There are two parts to it.
First, it's a massive jump from the IO part of it. SSDs, hardware decompression blocks and more efficient compression. We have quickly got used to no loading times, and no long elevator rides.
We added Ray Tracing for the first time. Now while it's not at the same level as the top of the line Nvidia cards, it's something we have never had before, and the longer it goes on, the more devs will create hybrid solutions for it. Insomniac for example have done a great job with it.
The jump from the jaguar CPUs to the Zen 2 ones was also a big jump. It's doing alot of things in the background that we won't notice on the screen.

Secondly, while the GPUs are more than twice as powerful than the PS4 Pro and XOX, we are in the era of diminshing returns. For the average person to notice, they would need to have a split screen side by side, with a 400x zoom to notice the difference. My friend was playing his XSS and I actually couldn't believe it actually looked that good.
We just arnt going to notice the difference as much graphically from last gen to this gen. Red Dead Redemption on the XOX still looks stunning to this day, and most here in a blind test would not be able to say if it was last gen or this gen.

Having said that, one of the biggest additions is one that hasn't been utilised enough yet, and that is the various efficiency tools that MS and Sony have put into their consoles.
Mesh and Primitive Shaders can have a massive uptick in performance, yet fuck all devs have used them.
Sampler Feedback Streaming hasn't been used by anyone yet, and it can give massive improvements to RAM management.

What we need to for this generation to go long, with no mid gen Refresh. This would then force devs to utilise all the tools at their disposal to gain as much performance as they can. Far too many devs have just used the increase in rasterisation to make the improvements game after game. A few more polygons, a few higher quality textures, and away we go.

Raonak

Banned
Graphically, sure, but that's mostly because graphics are less limited by hardware specs and more by budgets. It's legitimately hard for 3rd party devs especially to keep up. The best looking games (imo) are Ratchet, Demons, Horizon and GOW.

I think the actual PS5 console experience is such a generational upgrade over the PS4. Everything is so much snapper, faster and just works well.

Plus having seemless backward compatibility, dualsense haptics and triggers makes it feel like a bigger jump.

Remembering the Jet engine + 1 minute load times from the PS4 makes it impossible to ever to back

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
This console generation might not have the biggest jump in GPU power, and it does have one of the smallest jumps in memory amount.
But the jump in I/O is the biggest ever, by a huge margin. Especial in regards to the PS5.
The PS5 and Series S/X have the smallest load times ever, asides from cartridge consoles. And these consoles don't suffer from stutters due to asset streaming, unlike even the most high end PCs.
And the jump from Jaguar to Zen2 is also a very significant jump in CPU power.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
There hasn't been a generational jump at all, because to have one, you have to stop making games for older and weaker technology. That hasn't happened.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
There hasn't been a generational jump at all, because to have one, you have to stop making games for older and weaker technology. That hasn't happened.
True, but we need to also recognise that resolution increases, framerate increases, loading time improvements (silicon dedicated to that, and RT features are eating a lot of the performance budget these new machines added… this is in top of diminishing returns in terms of non linear improvements in visual quality based in relation to improvements in HW capabilities / performance.

On top of that yes, we are mostly still getting what devs can brute force on top of last gen optimised engines.

A next generation in 3-4 years should probably help a lot as HW makers will be able to add to their semi custom designs capabilities and improvements that deal with whatever bottlenecks and problems devs are facing now (this should bring a massive boost to RT as nothing beats years of on the ground experience in terms of driving architectural improvements and thank God we have semi custom designs :)). Pro Consoles? I hope we will not have that costly waste of time / distraction… it does not really make technological sense, it is too soon to bring meaningful improvements and it would either make this generation way too long or be too close to the real next generation update.

mrmeh

It's natural as tech advances that we are going to get the law of diminishing returns where smaller visual improvements need much more hardware grunt to achieve. Having said that there has been some big leaps this gen compared to last gen (SSD, CPU, Ray tracing). What may make generational jumps seem less grand is the fact that Nvidia is spanking out increasingly expensive video cards now which will be much more powerful than any console for a long time.

Games take longer and are more complex to make.. part of the reason many games don't wow is the fact that they are still designed on a last gen unreal 4 engine.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If FABLE actually looks that good at 1440p or higher thats a massive leap.

Getting that to run on Xbox One would require some harsh cutbacks.

FykWQQoXoAEnb6T

FykWQtaWcAMymmH

FykWRHqWAAAoWTR

Even Star Wars: Outlaws looked amazing, some people thought it was prerendered.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nah, it’s just gameplay hasn’t evolved much since the 360 era which makes everything seem .. the same. That feeling that graphics “ are not good enough “ really is just because you are bored of the gameplay of games.

Which is why the new Zelda is so praised it goes in an opposite direction.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
In the '80s and '90s graphical leaps were measured in miles, in the '00s by feet, in the '10s by inches, in the '20s we're at millimeters.
Love how you had to switch to the metric system to get your point through.

Shows how inferior the imperial system is.

Starfield overall looks next-gen but some areas aren't, character models being the most obvious. It's probably gonna be 2024/25 when we get the real next-gen looking games releasing. Hellblade 2 for instance has significantly better character models than anything else we've seen but they have not shown too much environments yet. Naughty Dog, The Coalition, Sucker Punch, ID etc are all yet to show their hand.

kuncol02

Banned
Nah, it’s just gameplay hasn’t evolved much since the 360 era which makes everything seem .. the same. That feeling that graphics “ are not good enough “ really is just because you are bored of the gameplay of games.

Gameplay evolved, but backwards. Now you can't have game without character telling you immediately what you need to solve "puzzles" or people get lost and don't know what to do (and that's not only journalists). Now map is not enough in games, quest mark on map is not enough, even compass is not enough, now games need to show you how to walk to your target. And don't even get me started on worst and most overused gaming idea of last 20 years, detective mode. What's the point of making any investigation in games when game immediately shows you solution? Other aspects of gameplay like combat are broken as well in modern games. Who the fuck though that idea of pretty much self playing free flow combat system is good?

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
The new avatar game seems like a big jump. Most beautiful game I've seen. We know with ubisoft that could change. See watchdogs.

I don't think the jump is as obvious through screenshots etc this time but original xbox one to series x is still a considerable difference. Much better image quality and better frames which is easy to see when playing something like sea of thieves on each console. The mid gen refresh machines kind of lessoned the impact of the new gen too. That said it does feel like this gen is only just getting started with games like burning shore and Fable looking more like a proper upgrade.

Gameplay evolved, but backwards. Now you can't have game without character telling you immediately what you need to solve "puzzles" or people get lost and don't know what to do (and that's not only journalists). Now map is not enough in games, quest mark on map is not enough, even compass is not enough, now games need to show you how to walk to your target. And don't even get me started on worst and most overused gaming idea of last 20 years, detective mode. What's the point of making any investigation in games when game immediately shows you solution? Other aspects of gameplay like combat are broken as well in modern games. Who the fuck though that idea of pretty much self playing free flow combat system is good?
People will list these complaints, and then when someone recommends them a complex indie game that gives them exactly what they’re asking for, they go ‘no thank you’

Schorschi

I think this is a Diskussion we have every New Generation since the ps3,xbox360 Ära. And i think it's every time a big jumper. But we have allready seen fantastic looking Charakters,etc,there is no great improvements, but in the lightning,framerate,geomotry and all the other stoff there it is. Excuse my poor english.

Now that Sony, MS, and a few others have had their 2023 game showcases, this gives us an idea on the power of these consoles considering that they will be turning 3 years old this year.

I have been gaming since the SNES and to me personally, this is the smallest jump yet.

While there are few games that are standouts (mainly from the companies that have the money and the talent), most games don't really seem like they couldn't be ran on the PS4 or Xbox One at medium-high settings rather than high-ultra.

We have Starfield which is a game with a massive scale that certainly wouldn't be possible on last gen, but what else?

This question extends beyond visually, for example when the PS2/Xbox/GC/Dreamcast released it was obvious day 1, that these games could never been pulled off on the previous generation systems.

We're 3 years in and still haven't truly gotten a "this is next gen" moment, outside of a Matrix Tech Demo (not a game) and probably Starfield due to it's scale.

Your thoughts?
People saidthe same last gen, didn't they. In fact, I remember people saying 360 graphics are so good that they'll never be topped before last gen Also, any game can actually be made to run on a system and it's nonsense to say otherwise. I started gaming on the Zx Spectrum and that was expected to handle ports of the likes of Power Drift and GOD knows what else. we had the GBA handling Crazy Tax for crying out loud. Any game can be made to work on a system its what you lose out that matters

COVID really screwed things up, but if you had the right TV you get a next-gen experience, that is way beyond what the last-gen consoles could offer. Get a top of the range TV that can handle VVR and 120 FPS and see the experience the difference.

Banned
lol...no... they didn't.

there are no meaningful (or actually used) features, outside of very limited raytracing, that last gen wasn't capable of but current gen is.
there is no next gen jump from One X to PS5 and Series X... there is a small jump due to a better CPU and faster storage, and that's about it.

the Series X could be the mid-gen refresh of the One X

the jump from One to One X was a 4.6x increase in GPU power, a 1.4x increase in CPU power, and a 1.5x increase in Memory (+way higher bandwidth)

the jump from One X to Series X is a 2x increase in GPU power, a big (hard to quantify) increase in CPU power, and a 1.3x increase in Memory

so the only really notable difference here is that the jump from One to One X was a huge GPU and a small CPU jump,
and the jump from One X to Series X was a huge CPU and a small GPU jump.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

Visual fidelity comes with increasingly limited returns in gaming. I'd like to see some of this horsepower redeployed in game design - TOTK is a great example.of how much is left on the table in this regard, and should really get developers thinking about more than pushing pixels and triangles.

SkylineRKR

Its not the smallest jump. Ok, there was the Pro and One X which dimished things somewhat. But look at the load times and stuff. Its huge. For the first time in 25 years they are of no concern anymore.

DavidGzz

Nah, Fable, that Star Wars game, Hellblade 2, etc are showing huge jumps, it is just taking more time than usual this gen. Once the 30fps games get here, we'll see the jump in fidelity.

Banned
Its not the smallest jump. Ok, there was the Pro and One X which dimished things somewhat. But look at the load times and stuff. Its huge. For the first time in 25 years they are of no concern anymore.

thats not true at all.
loading times on many systems were always the fault of bad data management by developers.

look at the loading times of almost any first party Nintendo game on GC, Wii and Wii U. Mario 3D World on Wii U has basically zero load times, they had to artificially make them longer because the loading screen is also the character select and multiplayer join in screen... if you took that out it would have had maybe 1 second load times.

Mario Sunshine on GameCube has load times of maybe 4 to 5 seconds. Mario Galaxy 2 has load times of like 3 to 4 seconds.

fast load times were always possible, it's just that developers couldn't be arsed to optimise for it. and you can see that now better than ever. developers have the fastest and most efficient SSD and decompression system available on PS5, and yet we still get games with longer load times than many PS2, GameCube or Wii games that had to load fron slow DVD drives

Last edited:

skit_data

I personally thought the difference between X360/PS3 -> X1/PS4 felt smaller at launch. After a few years you could definitely tell the difference though.

I expect this gen to follow a similar pattern except it has been postponed a bit due to the chip shortage affecting availability (leading to most devs targeting crossgen rather than nextgen only in order to recoup development cost).

Mr.Phoenix

there are no meaningful (or actually used) features, outside of very limited raytracing, that last gen wasn't capable of but current gen is.
there is no next gen jump from One X to PS5 and Series X... there is a small jump due to a better CPU and faster storage, and that's about it.

the Series X could be the mid-gen refresh of the One X

the jump from One to One X was a 4.6x increase in GPU power, a 1.4x increase in CPU power, and a 1.5x increase in Memory (+way higher bandwidth)

the jump from One X to Series X is a 2x increase in GPU power, a big (hard to quantify) increase in CPU power, and a 1.3x increase in Memory

so the only really notable difference here is that the jump from One to One X was a huge GPU and a small CPU jump,
and the jump from One X to Series X was a huge CPU and a small GPU jump.
let's not forget the SSD and memory bandwidth. Which mind you right next to the CPU is more important for the GPU especially if you are trying to push higher resolution and higher quality textures.

That aside, the TF number alone isn't a good indicator of where these consoles lie. And regardless of what the mid-gen console was to their OG counterparts last gen, it doesn't change the fact that they were running games that were designed and based exclusively on the OG 2013 consoles.

Top Bottom