• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the Xbox Showcase 2023

How would you rate the Xbox Showcase 2023

• It was fantastic

Votes: 169 20.2%
  • It was very good

Votes: 298 35.6%
  • It was okay

Votes: 223 26.6%
  • It was mediocre

Votes: 99 11.8%
  • It was poor

Votes: 29 3.5%
  • It was very bad

Votes: 19 2.3%

• Total voters

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
A tale of three showcases:

52967056944_e5f593d5a3_b.jpg

52967056939_82989b17d4_b.jpg

52967480630_1ae6fc59c0_b.jpg

Its interesting the number of folks who voted “fantastic” in PS poll is almost exactly the same as “very bad” in Xbox poll

Anyway, the showcase is certainly impressive, really a big contrast to the mediocre showing by Sony

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Mediocre. Starfield pretty much saved it from being even worse. First of all too many CGI trailers. Fable's trailer would be great if we didn't know about the game and it was announced for the very first time. Not when at least a tiny bit of gameplay was expected. Many games were also "missing" from the showcase, like Indiana Jones, Perfect Dark, new Doom/Quake/Wolfenstein, State of Decay 3 or the new Gears.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
STARFIELD was all I wanted to see out of the showcase and I got what I wanted. Removing it, I would say the best thing about the show was METAPHOR, which hopefully will be a return to the mature for some of these PERSONA devs (the Saturday morning cartoon vibe of PERSON 5 and its spinoffs is just. . .bleagh).

The worst - AVOWED. What we saw has NONE of the flare of or charm of POE whatsoever. Yeah they have Xaurips and the Auamua narrator was cool to see, but it all lacked any kind of charm. It just looked like any other open world Western RPG. POE2 especially just has this sort of style to it, despite being an isometric RPG; it felt completely missing from that trailer.

. . .anyway, decent enough show though most everything was 2024, so XBOX is looking to ride STARFIELD for a long while it seems.

Better than Playstation showcase/10

I would say B though. Also a fair amount of cgi trailers... but Japan games are here to save the day(thanks Japan).
This right here!

The terribleness of Sony's makes this one look much better. Sony's was so bad, there was noway this one could have been worse lol Yea, there was a fair amount of CGI and "in-engine" but a good amount that looked like gameplay.

Last edited:
A tad better than sonys?

Ghosts I Cant GIF by CBS

Yep. Avowed looked rough; Fable, I am still unsure about its potential, but we saw almost nothing gameplay wise...Same thing with Hellblade II. The compulsion thing was an in-engine trailer...
They showed more first party titles than Sony, but in an unoptimal way, imo. Plus, not a single WOW! moment for me...and I usually like for one or two newly introduced projects to come out of nowhere and blow me away...No such thing in-here...
So what is it that some people found really exciting at the showcase!? Genuinely interested...

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yep. Avowed looked rough; Fable, I am still unsure about its potential, but we saw almost nothing gameplay wise...Same thing with Hellblade II. The compulsion thing was an in-engine trailer...
They showed more first party titles than Sony, but in an unoptimal way, imo. Plus, not a single WOW! moment for me...and I usually like for one or two newly introduced projects to come out of nowhere and blow me away...No such thing in-here...
So what is it that some people found really exciting at the showcase!? Genuinely interested...

What I found genuinely exciting was the overall quality of the presentation and the games shown.

I feel it did miss one big huge announcement to close the show. But I guess they are saving those for some other time as we know there's some big ones in the works....indiana Jones game, gears etc.

But for me the exciting parts were seeing Fable and it looked to love up to my Terry Pratchet British humour loving heart.

Then it was just all the great varied announcements that shows off gaming across the board...

The starfield section was incredible imo and the games looks top tier.

What I found genuinely exciting was the overall quality of the presentation and the games shown.

I feel it did miss one big huge announcement to close the show. But I guess they are saving those for some other time as we know there's some big ones in the works....indiana Jones game, gears etc.

But for me the exciting parts were seeing Fable and it looked to love up to my Terry Pratchet British humour loving heart.

Then it was just all the great varied announcements that shows off gaming across the board...

The starfield section was incredible imo and the games looks top tier.

Glad that you liked it as much as you did. I genuinely did not think it was that good myself...Hell, I wish MS had seized the opportunity to make a much better showcase, burrying Sony PR wise for the remainder of the year...As it stands, and while I believe it was perfectly respectable, at no point was I impressed by anything shown on screen. I guess that with age, one becomes a bit more jaded/exacting! 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Mediocre. Starfield pretty much saved it from being even worse. First of all too many CGI trailers. Fable's trailer would be great if we didn't know about the game and it was announced for the very first time. Not when at least a tiny bit of gameplay was expected. Many games were also "missing" from the showcase, like Indiana Jones, Perfect Dark, new Doom/Quake/Wolfenstein, State of Decay 3 or the new Gears.
The Office Thank You GIF

Thabass

This

It's one of the few Western RPGs I can get into other than Mass Effect and The Witcher

The humor is a huge part of that franchise and is what hooked me

As for the people complaining about the Character, I can tell they haven't played any of the previous games when you can just create your own

I'm surprised by Starfield. It's scratching that serious Sci Fi WRPG Itch I had ever since Bioware no longer makes good games

I'm not a Bethesda fan. I hated Fallout 3 and that was the last game I played by them. But Starfield is looking fantastic
Same. I've been VERY critical of Bethesda games, but even I can't deny, looks like they have done some work on this game. Hopefully it isn't a bug infested mess.

supernova8

Banned
It was a good showcase relative to my expectations (ie very low) and I'm glad they just had game after game after game without too much corporate speak fluff in between.

Have to say I tuned out from the Starfield thing about 10 minutes in. Looks janky and they still haven't figured out how to make the NPCs (ie their eyes) not look like zombies?!

Other than that yeah pretty satisfied. Plus they have another showcase thing tomorrow so I'll watch that first and then make up my mind properly. Definitely a step in the direction though.

Last edited:

yurinka

I think that what they have they made the best show possible even if again they had cg/cinematic trailers with no gameplay and in some cases not even release year, and I think they are 100% sure that Hellblade 2 won't be released in 2024 because a year ago they still were in preproduction building a vertical slice.

Promising first party games, a big focus on Starfield that looks great, good 3rd party (very likely all multiplatform) reveals -some of them for GP day one- and very little shovelware.

This was an excellent showcase. Best one from Microsoft since the early Xbox 360 days. They delivered confidence that their brand is starting to show real tangible releases that should carry over into 2024 and beyond with exciting content.

• Fable - Visually stunning, interesting/quirky direction. Didn't see gameplay, but I know Playground will deliver above and beyond the expectations of the franchise.

• Avowed - Man, I really loved what I saw. Nothing next-gen visually, but they nailed a very unique, magical look to the game that leans heavily into fantasy which I love. We have Skyrim for the more grounded stuff. I have very high expectations for this one.

• South of Midnight - Has me intrigued. Not much more than that at this point. Wait and see.

• Clockwork Revolution - Stempunk BioShock infinite vibes with time manipulation? Count me in. Very intrigued to see more about this, and glad we actually got tangible gameplay. Again, nothing next gen, but a wonderful art design/style.

• Hellblade 2 - Honestly, the biggest disappointment of the show. We don't need another cinematic teaser when they last revealed a snippet of gameplay. Looks a lot blurrier than previous showings and I didn't come away impressed. If they weren't ready to show something more complete, they should have just not shown up at all imho. Trailers need to show progression, not regression. Good to see it coming out in 2024 (hopefully)

• Path of the Goddess - Not exclusive or on GP, but I really liked what I saw here. Glad MS is coming out and giving these titles some free marketing because Capcom doesn't generally miss.

• Jusant - Beautiful climbing game aesthetic and on GamePass. I'm stoked to try it out because I love the look of this game.

• Starfield - Microsoft needed a big win for 2023 after Redfall and they look to have it here. Will be a GOTY contender. Gorgeous, crisp 4K visuals, textures, with a beautiful lighting system. The game marries that with amazing art direction. Honestly Starfield is way more appealing to me personally than Fallout (which I don't really care about), and probably even exceeds Skyrim to me. So this really does have that potential to be a banner title for Xbox that keeps audiences engaged for a very long time just like Skyrim. Downsides are that the NPCs/cinematics look unbelievably dated. But visually it looks really nice. Not top tier next-gen, but very pleasant to look at and the combat seems to have improved significantly from the last showing even if it's not top-tier in that genre. Sad that this game is exclusive, because I feel it would benefit a wider audience on Playstation and this win doesn't feel as "deserved" for MS.
Honestly this is a solid A conference from Microsoft. Expectations were low to me and they exceeded them. In comparison, Sony's expectations were high and they ended up massively disappointing their fanbase despite still having good content present. And best of all is that Microsoft basically brought their audience nothing but interesting, diverse, single player experiences and none of that GaaS crap that Sony focused on. It's amazing that MS managed to out-Sony this year at their own game with this conference. Hopefully this is a wakeup call because there's risk that Sony is focusing a little too much on areas that are highly risky and they could get their core fanbase to not feel as strongly about the platform. To be fair, they still have plenty of SP content but they are playing it very close to their chest and the only new announcements we seem to get from them are all GaaS related. If you are a Sony gamer, there's really only Spider-Man, DS2, and Wolverine that we have to look forward to (massive games, mind you, but we haven't seen much of anything from them other than SM2 now). In comparison, Microsoft seems to have shown more about their 2024 plans and beyond when it comes to just SP only titles.

I also believe it's best we drop the expectations of "next gen" though, because it's not doing any of us any favors. Just expect great content and sharp visuals. I would much rather take quicker releases of games if it means there's less focus on visual perfection/technical mastery.

But overall, fantastic showing by Microsoft. They gave me confidence that the Xbox platform will start seeing a great cadence of content that should keep their ecosystem more competitive and relevant in the years to come.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
After the lackluster showcase from Sony (and PC Gamer show) and the mid Game Fest, I am glad Microsoft delivered a great one in spade to salvage things for us.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Flight Sim 2024. That just came out of the blue and looks amazing both visually and in the range of things you can do in the world.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I just don't agree at all. They pretty much showed a ton of games for 2023 and 2024 q1/q2? then followed up that there's more games for 2024.

yes, they didnt give us exact dates but with how the world has been with delays and them missing their 12 month window i can see why.

the show had more or less every single base covered. Action games, rpgs, jrpgs, racing games, indie games, strategy games, simulators, racing sim, FPS...gamepass day ones.. .

I feel all they were missing representation wise was a fighting game like killer instinct.

they delivered....and left us wanting more from games we know are deep in progress. Which is awesome...more than enough awesome content for now and the future.
Glad that you liked it as much as you did. I genuinely did not think it was that good myself...Hell, I wish MS had seized the opportunity to make a much better showcase, burrying Sony PR wise for the remainder of the year...As it stands, and while I believe it was perfectly respectable, at no point was I impressed by anything shown on screen. I guess that with age, one becomes a bit more jaded/exacting! 🤷‍♂️

There's no way in completely blowing your load and how would they respond with a two to 3 week window of seeing Sony drop the ball so incredibly hard.

This is chess it ain't checkers...lol

Sony has to counter with something and MS showed games we will play within the next 18 months and then they told us there is even more announcements to come. MS did just slam dunk Sony....starfield looks bigger and better than any game from Sony this entire gen and Microsoft looks to have a damn good 12 to 18 months of games with even more to follow.

We know Sony has wolverine but what else have they got for 2024?

We know ms is working deep on games behind the scenes that they can show in due time.

You say avowed looks rough.....I think it looks to play amazingly well...and with obsidian leaning on what makes them a great studio...I can't see how you can't be excited about it...

There's too much of an onlbsession with graphics...and avowed looks great. Go watch the 4k trailer. If you think that looks really bad then.....I dunno

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Hellblade 2 - Honestly, the biggest disappointment of the show. We don't need another cinematic teaser when they last revealed a snippet of gameplay. Looks a lot blurrier than previous showings and I didn't come away impressed. If they weren't ready to show something more complete, they should have just not shown up at all imho. Trailers need to show progression, not regression. Good to see it coming out in 2024 (hopefully)

Weird thing is that I think part of it was a bit bull-shoty. If you look at Senua's reflection in the water:

xiHjPEx.jpg

and then
Senua seemingly in the actual game:
XEkkIQn.jpg
5YQ8fxu.jpg

It just looks a bit bullshot-y in that specific bit. Not that it doesn't look good (it looks great), but her face/animations are clearly not that good in the actual game.
I think really they shot themselves in the foot by showing that "in-engine" reveal back in 2019, which probably wasn't in-engine at all and was obviously too good to be true.
I also believe it's best we drop the expectations of "next gen" though, because it's not doing any of us any favors. Just expect great content and sharp visuals. I would much rather take quicker releases of games if it means there's less focus on visual perfection/technical mastery.
I think for Xbox yes, if they aren't going to visually wow with any of the stuff coming in 2024 (of which I guess some might be pushed into 2025) then I'm not expecting bangers. I still do expect Playstation to deliver at least a few visual bangers though.

Last edited:
Hell, you can take out the starfield extra part at the end. It was still a good show and better what PlayStation and summer games show was. With the starfield. Damn great show. Anybody saying it wasn’t, just wants to hate on Xbox for the hell of it. Don’t even care if it good. They gonna say it bad

rapid32.5

What is Id doing, where is Kojima's game, Evil Within 3, where is Halo single-player DLC, and next Gears ? Game management at MS is terrible, they can’t let 343 sleep two years on the biggest IP MS owns.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
It was very good. I was disappointed I didn't see Fable gameplay and no date too. It's my most anticipated game.

It was worst at first, and only moving up to mediocre with the Starfield presentation for me. I love quite a few titles that they had shown, but there just wasn't enough gameplay footage for me to convince me that they will be any good yet. Hoping for the best, though. But Starfield. Now that's how you present a game!

gothmog

Gold Member
I thought it was a better show than Sony's, but I had some pretty big disappointments. Starfield is looking great, but I didn't really like what I saw of Hellblade, Fable, and Avowed. Avowed maybe I just need to see more of, but Fable in particular had me just scratching my head.

I'm hoping both Sony and Microsoft do another update in the fall.

Last edited:

ryzen1

I'm not that big of a Xbox/Microsoft fan, but out of all the showcases, this was definitely the best.
Their pacing of showing bangers and non bangers was very good. You never got bored.

I'm hoping both Sony and Microsoft do another update in the fall.
I don't think MS has more to show.
Sony must do another show with more 1st party stuff. Everything else is super bad.

Last edited:

Chaplain

I give it a C like I did Sony's last conference. I think it has more to do with my tastes in gaming changing than anything else. It takes a lot to capture my interest after playing games for over 40 years and not even Starfield looked interesting. I hope playing it changes my mind though.

gothmog

Gold Member
I don't think MS has more to show.
Sony must do another show with more 1st party stuff. Everything else is super bad.
Release dates for the first half of 2024 games would be appreciated from Xbox. Sony just needs to show the first party stuff and everyone will be happy.

Robb

Gold Member
I rate it: A lot better than Sony

It was OK, a bit slow at times, but they did show loads of first party stuff which was great.

But the in-engine stuff might as well be considered CGI and we got very few solid dates, everything seems to be quite a ways off.

StarField looked fantastic though.

GenericUser

Mediocre imo. (if you exclude Starfield). Avowed is cool but still pretty far away. City Skylines 2 looks interesting, I hope the console version can keep up with the pc version. Other than that, not much for me. If you include Starfield it's obviously S+ tier though.

And unlike you, I think it looked very polished on the graphical front.
It looks polished indeed, I just wanted more realistic graphics. It has Bioshock Infinite vibes and knowing the pedigree of Inxile, the RPG part is gonna be amazing.
Avowed, on the other hand, dissapointed me a bit. Based on the original trailer I was expecting Obsidian to go Dark Fantasy on it, but instead it feels somewhat like Fable minus the intentional humor, mixed in with Outer Worlds influences. Not quite what I wanted. And the graphics where quite underwelming even account for the dissapointing art direction. On the other hand, the ganmeplay looked good and it's gonna be on Game Pass anyway, so day 1.
Personally, it looked kinda outdated but in 4k video it looked much better than during the stream (I watched with other streamers)

I do find it odd that so many Xbox Studios are not pushing graphics much. But gameplay is top notch.

Top Bottom