• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we move to 5 star system for game scores finally, pretty please

5-point scale with no zeroes or half points would work if utilized intelligently. 3/5 is average, not necessarily good, but could pretty safely be recommended to genre fans. 1/5 is terrible, but playable. If a game has significant technical issues that render the game unplayable, it doesn't need a score. It just needs a "don't buy this shit." But of course none of that works without the body of the review for context.

It's OK to end the year with a mountain of 3s and 4s. Most games from a major studio are average to good games anyway.

Cyrano

It's fun watching the games industry move from stars to 100 point scales back to stars.
I'm hoping we move to hair personally.

SpiJXoY.png

No I think we should move to color gradient based squares. Then we can bicker over which game got slightly more red in it's square.

Red-White_256x256.png

mcz117chief

I am going to say this one last time.

The review score system is NOT the problem.

The fact that we mostly only bother with good games IS the "problem".

Most scores are 8+ BECAUSE most games we play today ARE 8+.

If we moved to a different score system it wouldn't change ANYTHING.

You got it?

Pachinko

Daily radar had the best system 15 years ago - direct hit - hit - miss - dud. No math involved there either and by bypassing a 3/5 while also eliminating half points , critics are forced to decide between a 2/4 and a 3/4 which meant far more accurate scores. No one looked at a 3/4 as a bad score back then. Of course it helps when you take numbers out of it. Also because meta critic exists , you'd need to tell them to convert in a manner similar to other sites so the 4 points on the scale might equal roughly a 1/10,4/10/8/10 and 10/10.

I don't buy for a second that review scores average high because only good games get reviewed. My mind is literally blown that anyone actually believes that.

Three stars is garbage? You're part of the problem. Zero or one stars is garbage. Three stars is above average.

You can't blame the user of reviews when it's not the users fault that, historically, review scores are slanted so high that 3/5 to most reviewers is pretty bad.

Am I really supposed to ignore this and give it my own meaning just because that's how it should be?

Arthea

I am going to say this one last time.

The review score system is NOT the problem.

The fact that we mostly only bother with good games IS the "problem".

Most scores are 8+ BECAUSE most games we play today ARE 8+.

If we moved to a different score system it wouldn't change ANYTHING.

You got it?
how it is not a problem when it doesn't work and most of that scale has no uses at all literally for years now?
I don't know what problem is, if that is not a problem.
We would change from one nonworking system to working one. It is a good change in my books.

As I said before, I wouldn't mind losing scores altogether, but that's not gonna happen, so why not make it better?

FLAguy954

Best scale is Don't buy/Wait/Buy.The absolute best thing for reviews is to just do away with scores altogether.

I'd prefer this as well. But I haven't based my purchases on review scores for YEARS and plan to continue to watch videos/form my own impressions before buying.

mcz117chief

how it is not a problem when it doesn't work and most of that scale has no uses at all literally for years now?
I don't know what problem is, if that is not a problem.
We would change from one nonworking system to working one. It is a good change in my books.

As I said before, I wouldn't mind losing scores altogether, but that's not gonna happen, so why not make it better?

I already explained it in my 1st post (#67) and a little bit in my 2nd one (#111), so I'll post the 1st one again

The only "problem" is that we have far more percentage of good games then we used to have, coupled with the fact that bad games get no exposure and thus aren't reviewed so we only see the good games that generate hits and those are all 8+ games. What would be the point if IGN or some other big journalist did a review for every steam greenlit game? Nobody cares for the bad ones and the good ones get around and those are the ones that get reviewed and again get 8+ ratings.

Your system would just mean that every game out there would get 4 or 5 stars, it wouldn't magically make everyone review shitty games. Only a high profile, highly expected game that really blows gets low ratings and there aren't (luckily) that many of them. Rejoice in the fact that there are enough great games around that you don't have to bother with shitty games for the rest of your life.

Karak's system is the best, buy/wait for sale/never touch it again. Then again I love him because he is not afraid to dig deep into dirt to get us some incredibly poor or incredibly underappreciated games.

No, I don't. What is a 8/10 game lol? Compared to what? Surely, review scales should scale with the quality of contemporary games?

An 8+ game is one that looks good, plays good, performs well and is fun, aka most games you get to play.

Personally If I was forced to rate a game I'd go a bit different, based on what I would value most and what I think other people would find most informative, and i'd likely use a 5 star scoring across the board

E.g my most recent game completed would be Inside, which I would 'rate' as follows

Gameplay : 4/5 - great puzzles and near-perfect controls.
Looks : 5/5 - beautiful in every way, almost flawless.
Sounds : 5/5 - amazing sound design
Story : 5/5 - rarely does a game tell such an open ended story so well and leave you pondering what it all means.
Longevity : 2/5 - some collectibles and achievements, and although definitely likely to replay the initial appeal is likely to be lost on subsequent replays
Slant : 5/5 - I loved Limbo, and cinematic platformers and was always likely to like Inside.
Overall Experience : 5/5 - Everything comes together to create what I think is a modern masterpiece, and any gamer should play.

A few old PC mags used to rate this way and I always found it far more informative (obviously read the review, but sometimes I would use the breakdown to focus on things I was most interested in.

Don't really like scores too much though, prefer the text, or things like Buy If... Walk On By If...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Reviews should end with a series of five questions asking about the review. Upon answering them all correctly, proving you have read said review, the score is revealed.

Arthea

I already explained it in my 1st post (#67), so I'll post it again

The only "problem" is that we have far more percentage of good games then we used to have, coupled with the fact that bad games get no exposure and thus aren't reviewed so we only see the good games that generate hits and those are all 8+ games. What would be the point if IGN or some other big journalist did a review for every steam greenlit game? Nobody cares for the bad ones and the good ones get around and those are the ones that get reviewed and again get 8+ ratings.

Your system would just mean that every game out there would get 4 or 5 stars, it wouldn't magically make everyone review shitty games. Only a high profile, highly expected game that really blows gets low ratings and there aren't (luckily) that many of them. Rejoice in the fact that there are enough great games around that you don't have to bother with shitty games for the rest of your life.

Karak's system is the best, buy/wait for sale/never touch it again. Then again I love him because he is not afraid to dig deep into dirt to get us some incredibly poor or incredibly underappreciated games.
exactly! we would be constantly using 60% of 5 star scale on constant basis, and it covers all what we need, while we use 30% of 10/10 scale at best.
That's what not working scale means, when it has very little to no use and there are better alternatives.

I don't see how buy/wait for sale/never touch it system works at all, I'm not talking about personal like (thumbs up)/don't like (thumbs down) system, which has its uses, true) but about a review system. Unless you have exactly the same taste as person using this system, it does not work, it can't. steam has thumbs up/down system (it lacks neutral position though), and it kinda works when we are talking about millions of people but steam reviews still work in a way that you have to read them, that's no score, that's more like a pointer, which games can be looked deeper into.
While aggregate review scores are used by itself, even review scores of gaming sites are being used as such and that's what we are talking about, covering all bases and having comprehensible useful review score system.

Fasty

It's not though. I mean the first "award" is "Recommended" so anything below that is automatically something they don't recommend. Which, to me, doesn't sound like a good game.

Well that's your interpretation. Mine is "your mileage may vary, read the review and see what you think"

Calcaneus

I always got the impression that most reviewers would rather not have the scores at all, because they tend to be more trouble than they are worth. It makes sense to keep cutting down the numbers available until people are forced to actually read the review to get a full picture.

Until the no-score future, I feel like four stars works well enough. 1 is bad, 2 is mediocre, 3 is good and 4 is great.

mcz117chief

exactly! we would be constantly using 60% of 5 star scale on constant basis, and it covers all what we need, while we use 30% of 10/10 scale at best.
That's what not working scale means, when it has very little to no use and there are better alternatives.

I don't see how buy/wait for sale/never touch it system works at all, I'm not talking about personal like (thumbs up)/don't like (thumbs down) system, which has its uses, true) but about a review system. Unless you have exactly the same taste as person using this system, it does not work, it can't. steam has thumbs up/down system (it lacks neutral position though), and it kinda works when we are talking about millions of people but steam reviews still work in a way that you have to read them, that's no score, that's more like a pointer, which games can be looked deeper into.
While aggregate review scores are used by itself, even review scores of gaming sites are being used as such and that's what we are talking about, covering all bases and having comprehensible useful review score system.

I'm not even sure if somebody would use 3 stars, maybe they would, who knows. It doesn't really change much, only popular games will be reviewed and all those are good regardless of their score except for very rare cases like the Batman game that ran terribly on PC.

Karak's system is good because it simply tells you. The game is absolutely worth the asking price now = buy. The game is good but not THAT good so wait for a price drop and a couple of patches before you get it = wait for sale. The game is not really worth your time and money, there are hundreds if not thousands of better games out there = never touch it again. Now couple that with his in-depth reviews which talk about everything and you really can't have a much better system.

Listonosh

I agreed with you until this statement

everything in between can be covered by decimals, like if a game is not that much broken or buggy, we can give it 1.8/5.

That quite literally breaks the scale again, and will have people argue and upset over why one game got a 4.6 and another a 4.4, or why a game was JUST shy of a 3 with a 2.9.

A simple five star system with no half stars would be ideal. But I'm still in the "no score" camp. I actually prefer Kotaku's and Eurogamer's approach.

See, I know it's an unpopular opinion around here, but this is why I really like Kotaku and go back there all the time.

They even did away with the Buy/Don't Buy/Wait system and to be honest it's better than ever. You get a much more nuanced idea of what the game is like and how it will appeal to you when you read a whole, measured article, rather than just weighting everything on some arbitrary number at the end.

Just switch to a ): |: :) system. I don't see why anything more is needed.
But but the faces are the wrong way round. How the hell am I meant to know what's going on

DigtialT

There is no problem with the review scale, the only problem is with how people use them. Using a 5 star system won't magically increase the diversity of scores given

Edit:
everything in between can be covered by decimals, like if a game is not that much broken or buggy, we can give it 1.8/5.

RFiJNyN.gif

Gator86

Just don't have a score. Make people read reviews

I always imagine posts ike this were written with the poster in tears, sitting in a dark room staring at the low metacritic score for their favorite game.

What makes you think this would prompt a significantly higher number of people to read reviews than the current percentage. As a society, if we rate everything from movies to food to fucking healthcare quality, we can rate video games.

I've yet to see good arguments for removing review scores. Even press sneak fuck put out a fucking embarrassing article about it where his arguments involved a dev not getting a bonus and the nightmare scenario where a reviewer could be sad one day and score a game a point lower or something.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
lmao @ OP

"we can use decimals!" so it's basically 50 points.

I like a good "thumbs up/thumbs down"

Arthea

I'm not even sure if somebody would use 3 stars, maybe they would, who knows. It doesn't really change much, only popular games will be reviewed and all those are good regardless of their score except for very rare cases like the Batman game that ran terribly on PC.

Karak's system is good because it simply tells you. The game is absolutely worth the asking price now = buy. The game is good but not THAT good so wait for a price drop and a couple of patches before you get it = wait for sale. The game is not really worth your time and money, there are hundreds if not thousands of better games out there = never touch it again. Now couple that with his in-depth reviews which talk about everything and you really can't have a much better system.

Karak's system does not work, it implies that we buy (or should) every good game, we don't, we only buy those that interests us, even not so good if we like what we see/read about them. Not every good game is worth buying, nobody can possible buy all good games released these days, although some try, true, but we aren't talking about collectors here.
Only in depth reviews, vids, screens can tell us what to buy, yet again that's not what this thread is about.
It's about score system we use, that results in pages of talk (in every review thread) about said score consisting mostly of "7(=1) is garbage", "that's not what 7,8,9 means" and "only 8? no buy", etc.
I mean, why can't we face it as adults, 10/10 system outlived itself, time to move on, nobody knows how to use it properly anymore, or so it would seem.
If most games are good these days, and they are, having lesser scale to cover it only works to our advantage. Don't you agree?

SPCTRE

My hope is that we can fold game scores into the metric system so that we can finally find an objective way to measure a game. Let's say that 1 star equals 1 square Joule, for example. That way we can measure it without anyone needing to play it in order to find out if it's good or not.
now that would be progress!

Why not just move back to using the 10 point system properly. It can be done, some like Jim Sterling are managing to do so.

10 (Sterling): A 10 represents the finest of the fine, an exemplar of its genre, and the current game of its type to beat. While nothing in life is perfect, these games come as close to the ideal as one can get. Such a score is not given lightly, and is reserved for true pinnacles of the medium. A pinnacle can be relative – another game may eventually come that bests it, but for now, this is the kind of stuff the industry ought to strive for.

9 (Superb): A 9 represents excellence in almost every area, or at least a consistently delightful experience from beginning to end. There may be problems with the game, but they’re of a negligible variety, and often include such criticisms as, “I wish there were more of the thing that was brilliant.” While not a genre leader, it’s truly a beautiful game in several significant ways.

8 (Great): An 8 represents something that could prove immensely enjoyable to a majority of people, if not everybody. There are one or two noteworthy blemishes on their records, something holding them back, but nothing so major as to not be worth a lot of peoples’ time and energy.

7 (Good): A 7 represents a favorable slice of entertainment that ought to prove welcome in the right house. Not the most glamorous, polished, or jawdropping, but most definitely good for a chuckle or two.

6 (Alright): A 6 represents an acceptable game, the kind of experience unimaginative reviewers (like me) would call “solid.” These workaday games put the hours in, do their time, and manage not to offend the senses too much. They’re okay!

5 (Mediocre): A 5 represents “true neutral” on the scale. It’s not good, it’s not bad. It sits perfectly in between, doing nothing to stand out. It’s not going to ruin your day, but it’s not going to add anything positive, either. Truly the kind of videogame that exists solely to exist.

4 (Subpar): A 4 represents a below average, inferior experience. There may be some high points, a couple of hopeful moments, but they soon give way to the notably less favorable issues.

3 (Poor): A 3 represents a game with some significant damage. While it may have had some potential at one point, that’s been lost to lousy design, glitches, or some other unfortunate failure. Might be interesting… sometimes… but rarely.

2 (Bad): A 2 represents a straight-up bad game. A thorough disaster, there is no hope of a positive experience ever shining through all the broken features and atrocious ideas. Only the truly desperate will be able to dig through the mire and find something passable.

1 (Accursed): A 1 represents not just a bad game, but something offensively bad. Typically, but not always, something so truly vile that the reviewer can’t even manage to get a fraction of the way into it. The game doesn’t have to be broken beyond playability, but that’s common. It could also be so unintuitively designed, intellectually insulting, or even morally bankrupt as to render it beyond salvation. Either way, there is NO potential for a good time, even a meager one. There’s no talent, no skill, no depth, and no hope. This is… The Accursed.

Bakkus

So basically it's either 80% good or 100% good. No inbetweens? That's a horrible idea, can't believe people think that's a good way of scoring.

Zero83

Why do ratings need to be distinguishable from one another? The point in the rating is to quantify how much the reviewer liked it, not to provide some insecure fanboys ammunition for their X>Y arguments.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Loved the way CVG rated games on a scale of 1-5 back in the day. I don't understand the difference in quality between an 82% game and a 77% game anyway.

Branduil

The reason the 5-star scale is better than the 10 or 100-point scale has nothing to do with objective numbers, since there's technically no difference there with decimals involved. It has everything to do with subjective association. The current scale is associated with school grades, giving the impression that anything below 80(a "B") is bad. On the other hand, the 5-star scale is associated with movies, which make full use of the entire scale. We already interpret "3 stars" as decent, if not good, whereas a 60 would be awful.

It has nothing to do with the numbers. It has to do with how we interpret them.

Maxim726X

Bullshit, 5 star systems suck.

Everything is going to get a 4, because it's difficult to justify a 'perfect' game.

No thanks. That's not useful information.

Everyone should just adopt a version of the Double Toasted review system. It's basically a 5 star system, but each point is given a real value identifier. I suppose for games it would go something like:

Better Than Sex - Full Price - Wait for Sale - Rental - Some Ol' Bullshit

It's a 5 point scale, but it tells the reader/viewer exactly what the perceived value of the product is rather than some nondescript "3 stars".

The other 'problem' with game reviewers is they still haven't decided whether they want to be art critics or product reviewers and they constantly flip-flop back and forth depending on the game they're reviewing. Sometimes they'll overlook performance issues because the content is good. Other times they'll overlook quality content because a game runs sub 1080p/30FPS. Pick one and stick to it dammit. Either you are technical reviewers who focus on the quality of the product's performance or you are critics who are focused on the quality of content (or the completely undefinable 'fun factor') of the game. It doesn't matter which you choose, there is an audience for both - but individuals (and by extension, the outlets they write/review for) really, really need to be consistent in their focus, otherwise their reviews are meaningless because it's impossible to draw correlations and comparisons against past/other reviews since different products are being rated by different metrics.

Top Bottom