• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we now agree that there is no Secret Sauce Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bender

What time is it?
Ratchet and Clank showcased moving between worlds (levels) through rifts.

You should never have expected multi-platform games to take full advantage of the technology but there is some knock-on effect as level load times should be much snappier this generation. I'm not sure how Sony exclusives are going to run better on Series X but maybe the modding scene is way ahead of the game.

Time will tell if it produces something spectacular or if we are stuck with a feature that does little more than yield us Blinx and custom soundtracks in PGR.

You didn't see Ratchet & Clanks changing from one environment to a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT one instantly without a hitch?

Um if you watched it.. They used a pink/purple interdimensional sphere to hide the transition between locations. It was NOT instant nor even close.

Infact none of the glass shards in the space even showed what the next space would look like. Watch the video again.

tenor.gif

Yoboman

The Medium at the Xbox event seemed to be doing the same.

What I mean is people were talking like the PS5 SSD would help the PS5 do things the Xbox can't.
Techniques need to be developed to take advantage of a new technology. UE5 already showed how this works. Up to devs to take advantage as they start to get access or develop their own methods

To some degree, mainly FPS and resolution in some games but I think what we mostly saw on both the PS5 event and the Xsex one is just budgetary restraints. There's no real "auto leap" every dev can make use of like in most other new gens, so the differences between current and next gen will probably take more time to really show itself.

bender

What time is it?
Um if you watched it.. They used a pink/purple interdimensional sphere to hide the transition between locations. It was NOT instant nor even close.

Infact none of the glass shards in the space even showed what the next space would look like. Watch the video again.

Insomniac described it as near instant.

Goes into the portal at 1:17 or 1:18 and in a whole new level at 1:20. If that's about what we can expect from load times next generation, I'll be happy.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Nothing Sony showed today looked like it was taking advantage of some crazy innovative never seen before SSD.

I expect every game, even the exclusives to run better on Series X hardware specs.

We’ll just have to see, I think its more about them being closer than what people make it out to be. And 12tfps not being a massive 25% advantage like many say.

At the end of the day the games today didnt look like they could be played on a PS4 Pro. They looked next gen. PS5

And so far all the games we’ve seen from Xbox look like they can be played on current gen Consoles....

Last edited:
R&C showed pretty deftly one obvious benefit. I also expect Horizon 2 and Spiderman MM to show obvious improvements over the PS4 games with regards to textures, draw distance and loading times because of it.

For third party multiplatform games, we won't know what, if any advantages it will give until we have the same game on PC and XSX to directly compare.

Majukun

you still need to preload a lot of assets to change location like that
of course it was never going to be real time, that's too much data to just call on screen in an instant, but it's definitely not something that is possible to do on present consoles, not on that scale at least

Allandor

Nothing Sony showed today looked like it was taking advantage of some crazy innovative never seen before SSD.

I expect every game, even the exclusives to run better on Series X hardware specs.
Well, the fast transitions in Ratchet & Clank were something like that. But that's well.. all.
Everything else that we did see was just more horsepower than PS4 (Pro) ... higher res and assets.

you still need to preload a lot of assets to change location like that
of course it was never going to be real time, that's too much data to just call on screen in an instant, but it's definitely not something that is possible to do on present consoles, not on that scale at least

We arent caveating here. I was simply responding to the "instant" comment. Nothing more. R&C is generally impressive without the hyperbole.

TheMan

It's really hard to say if any games utilize hard drive features from short clips.

I'll agree that from what little we did see, none of that wouldn't have been possible on ps4.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom