• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we talk about how awesome River City Girls is?

Shantae

Banned
I know this game came out back in September digitally, so it's not exactly a new release, but I didn't get it til recently because I got a physical copy for Christmas. Even when it came out though, I don't really remember seeing much discussion for it. I was never a big fan of the River City (Kunio Kun games in Japan), but I appreciated the concepts within them. Beat em up with RPG elements, long before Castle Crashers and Scott Pilgrim did that stuff. I knew I had to give this game a try though because I've come to be a fan of WayForward's work.

To my delight, this game is another example of super fun gameplay, and 2D sprite work by them. This would probably be more fun as a co-op game, but I still had a lot of fun playing through it by myself. You can cheese it a little by using weapons and items that make it so weapons don't degrade later on, but even with that, there are times where you got to use hand to hand combat, and learning all the moves and know when it's best to use what move against certain enemies makes the combat never seem too repetitive. That's usually been the problem with a lot of brawlers in the past, but this is the first one I've played in a long time that made me enjoy it all the way through without getting bored.

The presentation is also top notch. I love the fully animated parts in it, even though they're short, they look great. The sprite work is some of my favorite in a game recently though, the animation is so fluid and detailed for all the characters and enemies.

One of my favorite parts of the game is the music though. God I'm so bummed that I missed out on getting a vinyl of the soundtrack on limitedrungames. Some of it might be "cheesy", but I still un-ironically love some of the tracks. There are a lot of tracks to within all the different zones. Only bummer is I wish some of the songs with lyrics were longer because I like the sound of them so much. Here's just a couple examples that I really like:

I decided to spoiler this one because it's from the end credits

Yeah, I just had to make a thread about this game after finishing it, because it's been the most fun I've had in a while. I might even do a new game+ now. It was one of those games that I kinda avoided playing on days because I didn't want it to end since I was enjoying it so much.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I bought it on GOG but haven't played it yet. It looks super cool, though. I should give it a shot in the next couple weeks.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I mean, does your word count for anything if you didn't actually like past River City games given they were awesome?

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
I mean, does your word count for anything if you didn't actually like oast River City games given they were awesome?
I just think maybe I came to it too late. I didn't play the original until way after the fact, so it already felt a little dated to me. Some of the other more recent River City games that have come out on 3DS all seem to try and play exactly like the old NES game also, so this is the first one that feels modern. I might have liked the original if I played it as a kid, but I didn't. Only played Double Dragon back then.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The original River City Ransom still feels modern, great fun little fighting systems and tons of stuff to mess around with the rpg-lite aspects. It's not like the genre these days is doing better, the best we get is fan stuff reviving old IP like Streets of Rage Remake.

Who the fuck decided to make much of Double Dragon 4 one plane? Though series always kinda sucked.
Well that's why I made this thread also, this game is a good example of a modern version of it.

and hey, if you don't like the girls, you can unlock Kunio and Riki in the game
I had this game already considered when i wrote what I wrote, fan stuff is stil the best the genre gets these days, whether free like Streets of Rage Remake or paid like The Takedown. And I said nothing about not liking the girls, what are you babbling on about?

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
The original River City Ransom still feels modern, great fun little fighting systems and tons of stuff to mess around with the rpg-lite aspects.
Some of the systems were ahead of their time for sure, but i think it feels stiff now.
It's not like the genre these days is doing great, the best we get is fan stuff reviving old IP like Streets of Rage Remake.

Well that's why I made this thread also, this game is a good example of a modern version of it.

and hey, if you don't like the girls, you can unlock Kunio and Riki in the game

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
We could if girl power didn't have to cost 4 times the amount of Scott Pilgrim vs The World. WayForward got held up payment wise by the talent it just had to showcase front and center. The game's price + marketing put me off.

Last edited:

bronk

Banned
I didn't really enjoy it. I felt Scott Pilgrim is vastly superior and more fun to play. I got the LRG copy assuming I'd love it and regret it. :/ I really wanted to like it. Granted I did not finish it I say I gave it a solid 3 hours or so. I don't know it didnt click. You are right though the music is fantastic.

River City Tokyo Rumble for 3ds is my favorite in the series other than the original. The other 3ds game that came after is just bad.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

The music is incredible, it gives an 80’s vibe.
The game is sometimes hard but with practice and levelling up, it’s manageable.
1 neighbourhood left to finish the game.

I saw they’ve done an other game like this (stay cool kabayashi san), it’s cheaper and looks less polished
Any one played it?

Cravis

The music is incredible, it gives an 80’s vibe.
The game is sometimes hard but with practice and levelling up, it’s manageable.
1 neighbourhood left to finish the game.

I saw they’ve done an other game like this (stay cool kabayashi san), it’s cheaper and looks less polished
Any one played it?
Stay Cool is ok. The fighting is fun. You don't level up and get stronger, though. That's a cardinal sin for me. I love the feeling of getting uber powerful in the Kunio games.

Bodom78

Got it on launch and loved playing through it and getting all the achievements.

Bosses and music are very well done.

Would have loved some DLC to expand the game further. Hoping for a sequel.

Shantae

Banned
River City Tokyo Rumble for 3ds is my favorite in the series other than the original. The other 3ds game that came after is just bad.

Tokyo Rumble was one of the ones I played for 3DS, and I even played it through to completion but I honestly got real burned out on it. It had the problem of just feeling repetitive after a while for me. I dunno why I don't feel that way RCG

It's an awesome game dripping with polish. Gorgeous cutscenes, good music, good animations and graphics, unique art sprinkled all over for conversations and shopping interactions. It's a love letter to beat em ups. Huge command list.

I have a few tiny gripes. The enemy AI is a little irritating and inconsistent at times, punishing on wake up in some annoying ways sometimes. And the game could feel a hair tighter. Sometimes while punching enemies I feel like my spacing is off and the animation drifts me through an enemy instead of feeling rock solid.

Minor complaints though for one of the best beat em ups I've played in a while.

Shantae

Banned
It's an awesome game dripping with polish. Gorgeous cutscenes, good music, good animations and graphics, unique art sprinkled all over for conversations and shopping interactions. It's a love letter to beat em ups. Huge command list.

I have a few tiny gripes. The enemy AI is a little irritating and inconsistent at times, punishing on wake up in some annoying ways sometimes. And the game could feel a hair tighter. Sometimes while punching enemies I feel like my spacing is off and the animation drifts me through an enemy instead of feeling rock solid.

Having gripes is cool. I agree with the enemies being real punishing if they get you surrounded. Not enough invincibility when you get up or something. It just made me play more aggressive sometimes which is fun.

One of my favorite little touches in this game is when there's dialogue, and their character portraits at the top of the screen animate and lean over the UI. It's cute and funny.

Ending Spoilers
I suspected it when I met Hasebe and Mami, but I still found it funny that Misako and Kyoko turned out to be the actual crazy stalkers lol. I thought that maybe once I beat the secret boss that the ending would change, but nope...you're still the crazy girls that think they're Kunio and Riki's girlfriends lol.

They should've let you unlock Hasebe and Mami as playable characters too since their movesets seem identical to Misako and Kyoko.

I totally agree with your gripes, but thankfully they don't detract from all the fun. Fantastic game and so much fun with 2 players. I do think the money losing penalty is a little too severe when dying though, or maybe I just suck.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
We could if girl power didn't have to cost 4 times the amount of Scott Pilgrim vs The World. WayForward got held up payment wise by the talent it just had to showcase front and center. The game's price + marketing put me off.
What talent?

petran79

Banned
I didn't really enjoy it. I felt Scott Pilgrim is vastly superior and more fun to play. I got the LRG copy assuming I'd love it and regret it. :/ I really wanted to like it. Granted I did not finish it I say I gave it a solid 3 hours or so. I don't know it didnt click. You are right though the music is fantastic.

Played a little of Scott Pilgrim and the fighting game mechanics felt unpolished and character animation was far worse though it surely helped RCG to improve

Top Bottom