• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can We Talk About Just How Great The Horse (Mount) is in Elden Ring?

Majukun

it's ok..can't really say i have strong positive or negative feelings about the way it handles, other than platforming on horse is kinda awkward.

It's so fake feeling and looking really clashes with rest of game actually imo, some of horse riding videos I've seen are laughable

Bryank75

Banned
Wish there were more options.

Prefer the horse in Ghost, especially in Iki Island... ramming groups of enemies is super satisfying.

But the double jump is cool, the fall damage is a bit weird though. Where it kicks in and where it is fatal etc.

TheBoss1

My only issue with horseback combat in Elden Ring is that you shouldn't get knocked off of Torrent unless he "dies." It's BS to get knocked off only to find out that he's still alive. I get that the horse shouldn't be able to tank hits until you personally die, but it's too easy to get knocked off.
Up your dexterity and you won't have this problem nearly enough. It's an intended game mechanic, and it forces you to make choices of what you're willing to live with.

As for the the topic, if you're not looking into the realism aspect of how a horse feels to ride, which shouldn't even be a thing since it's a fantasy rpg, then the controls are super responsive and you can do most of what you want to do without it feeling cumbersome. The only thing I dislike is that it is grouped in the item slot so you can make a mistake using flasks and other valuable items under pressure. There is a work around (on controller) but it still isn't simple since it requires more than one button press.

I still believe MGSV's horse is still the best overall though since it has some level of realism in how the horse gallops but is still easy to control, and it doesn't just appear out of thin air right in front of you. In Elden Ring, the way how you summon Torrent makes it an easy copout from tough situations that you didn't have in prior fromsoft games.

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

I've scrolled through the replies and not seen anyone else annoyed by the OP's need to put (mount) in the title.

I just...ok.

Aesius

Up your dexterity and you won't have this problem nearly enough. It's an intended game mechanic, and it forces you to make choices of what you're willing to live with.

As for the the topic, if you're not looking into the realism aspect of how a horse feels to ride, which shouldn't even be a thing since it's a fantasy rpg, then the controls are super responsive and you can do most of what you want to do without it feeling cumbersome. The only thing I dislike is that it is grouped in the item slot so you can make a mistake using flasks and other valuable items under pressure. There is a work around (on controller) but it still isn't simple since it requires more than one button press.

I still believe MGSV's horse is still the best overall though since it has some level of realism in how the horse gallops but is still easy to control, and it doesn't just appear out of thin air right in front of you. In Elden Ring, the way how you summon Torrent makes it an easy copout from tough situations that you didn't have in prior fromsoft games.
Well that changes things. I had no idea your dex influenced your ability to stay on Torrent.

TheBoss1

Well that changes things. I had no idea your dex influenced your ability to stay on Torrent.
Yeah it isn't straightforward information but if you select the help button/key it will give you a few options. I think it's the "Explanation" option that will give you a breakdown of what each stat category consists of. Dex also helps with casting time and fall damage.

Last edited:

Arthimura

Best horse combat I ever saw in a video-game.

It's even better that is balanced, in the sense you can use the horse against enemies and bosses in the wild, but in dungeons you have to stick to combat on foot.

Best horse combat I ever saw in a video-game.

It's even better that is balanced, in the sense you can use the horse against enemies and bosses in the wild, but in dungeons you have to stick to combat on foot.
The only one thats even remotely as fun is the MGSV Horse. Does anyone remember the name?

Top Bottom