• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can We Talk About Just How Great The Horse (Mount) is in Elden Ring?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As some of you said above, the horse looks arcadey. I havent played the game yet, but seeing videos it's like Mr Ed trained by a gymnastics coach and on PEDs.

Who knew horses can run up and down from big rocks at top speed.

Fredrik

Hah I just did what the OP shows yesterday! Without seeing any guides or messages or anything. Can’t use the sword though unless I level up 20 levels or so… Oh well

Keihart

As some of you said above, the horse looks arcadey. I havent played the game yet, but seeing videos it's like Mr Ed trained by a gymnastics coach and on PEDs.

Who knew horses can run up and down from big rocks at top speed.
yeah it is, the horse goat Torrent has a double jump, making it the best way to explore, not only that, but mounting and dismounting give you i frames so it's pretty fun to use it on some fights as a aid for spacing against big enemies.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I never use mounts in all other open world games because they are a pain in the ass. I use Torrent all the time. Fast and fun. My only issue is the L3 misfires. I should look in to remapping it.

I like my horses to get me where I want to go, quickly and with no fussy controls. And they need to be there precisely when I need them. This is a good horse!

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member

Agro has been the best horse ever designed in a videogame since 2005.

The correct response. All else is secondary.

What I respect about Elden Ring's horse riding is that it is not a chore, unlike the horses in RDR2, where I felt I was fighting the animal as much as steering my method of travel.

ParaSeoul

unlike the horses in RDR2, where I felt I was fighting the animal as much as steering my method of travel.
Never felt like it was a chore. I liked the fact that your horse truly felt like a separate creature you were controlling instead of a vehicle

Hugare

Very imprecise when platforming, and have you tried controlling it on tight spaces? It sucks

It's ok, and it can make some encounters really easy compared to on foot, but feels good to move around on it most of the time

Not consuming stamina when enemies arent nearby is an excellent move from FROM

bender

What time is it?
Its alright. No inertia,feels like its missing animations. RDR 2 horses are probably the best we'll ever get.
EBSx.gif

ParaSeoul

Yeah, it does control well, in terms of doing what you want it to do in a fairly responsive manner. But it’s incredibly rudimentary in almost every other aspect, its not “impressive” as much as it is functional.

It’s basically just a graphical asset that spawns underneath you to modify your moveset, it’s far from a technical accomplishment.
Yeah,more a tool than anything else.

TonyK

For me, the horse of Elden Ring is the best contribution to open world games. It will be difficult to return to realistic horses or vehicles in other open world games.

j0hnnix

Mount is fun af, wish there was some cosmetics.. Miyazaki did not watch Pimp my Ride, someone send him a VHS of it.

Sometimes when I’m trying to reorient myself on one of those cliff side tombstone platforms trying to turn the horse is a bit janky and it jerks too much to one side and causes me to fall off.

Not really a big deal because you can reorient yourself in a safer manner by getting off the horse and then getting back on, or use the telescope to “aim” yourself in first person, and therefore also the horse. When I’m playing though I usually forget about the latter option for some reason.

Braag

It's alright, I wish there was a way to upgrade the health and speed of your horse though. Maybe even how high you can double jump.

fart town usa

Gold Member
His name....is Torrent.

Made me think of this (RIP Horace)

And yes, Torrent is clutch. I hate it when enemies wail on him. I'll ride out a bit just so I can feed him and give him a pat before rushing back into battle to slay fools.

Last edited:

tassletine

It's good for gameplay in that you really don't have to think about it BUT it stutters around, runs continuously when pressed to a wall (very last gen) has no real personality (weird being a Fromsoft game).
It's also glitched on me more than once (just disappeared).

It's not really something you can love but I think the focus on making it functional, means that you can't really hate it. It rarely gets in the way and as it has i frames can be a lifesaver.

GymWolf

Elden and tsushima have the best horses in recent years (horizon and botw having the worse imo)

Elden ring one is maybe a bit slippery and not super precise during platform parts, but it's a very minor flaw.

Horse combat is basically perfect.

P.s. a secret for people who dislike horse combat, maybe try to not get hit so your horse is not gonna die, if you get hit when you have a damn sprint and a double jump, then it's on you, if the horse could tank 20 hits, horse combat would be a total joke.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Well let's point out the elephant in the room - there's only one! No other mount skins, customization, etc, seems like a wasted opportunity.
Was just gonna ask if there was. Considering how big this game is, this is surprising.

I also love how Japanese devs are more willing to cut out some realism and animation in favour of gameplay. Something I think western developers could learn from. I know both would be ideal but you know. I also think the problem is western devs suffer more from minor criticisms like that as well though.

Gun Animal

I don't think anyone else has pointed it out in this thread before: your dexterity controls how likely you are to get knocked off torrent when attacked, and there are craftable items you can use to replenish torrent's health without using a flask.

Torrent can still get one-shotted, and this becomes more of an issue in the later game. But, really, Torrent shouldn't be getting hit at all: during a field boss, summon a spirit ash (mimic tear if you have lots of health, tiche if you have lots of FP) and take swipes at the boss while your ash has aggro. Keep your distance otherwise.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I would say its good against dragons but for every other boss, you better off on foot.
Nah, as a wrerch i fucked up the tree sentinel and the black knight around the map with ease because i had the horse, you have like 400% more mobility dude.

Seeing so many people trying these enemies without horse was kinda cringe to watch because the solution was right there.

Horse combat is kinda cheating against most enemies.

The malformed dogs in caelid was one of the few enemies that fucked me up while on the horse.

Last edited:

RyRy93

In terms of realism RDR2 has the best horses, in terms of having precise control it's Elden Ring and in terms of just being straight up infuriating and janky to the point where that moment late game is satisfying Shadow of the Colossus.

GymWolf

Very imprecise when platforming, and have you tried controlling it on tight spaces? It sucks

It's ok, and it can make some encounters really easy compared to on foot, but feels good to move around on it most of the time

Not consuming stamina when enemies arent nearby is an excellent move from FROM
Are you me?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nah, as a wrerch i fucked up the tree sentinel and the black knight around the map with ease because i had the horse, you have like 400% more mobility dude.
I personally find it fighting on foot I can finish most fight faster.

GymWolf

I personally find it fighting on foot I can finish most fight faster.
Oh sure, on foot you don't have the 3 attack limit with the pause between them, you can use skills, you can do critical hits\back attacks, it is easier to stack status, the roll doesn't create much distance so you can attack faster after avoiding damage etc, so you can do much more damage in way less time.

But in terms of playing safe-cheese and being able to evade any move from the enemy horse combat is way better.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
But in terms of playing safe-cheese and being able to evade any move from the enemy horse combat is way better.
I dont know, just getting 2-3 hits and run away is not my idea of fun, the reason I use them for dragons because they are too big and just hassle trying fight those guys on foot.

GymWolf

I dont know, just getting 2-3 hits and run away is not my idea of fun, the reason I use them for dragons because they are too big and just hassle trying fight those guys on foot.
I usually like to battle knights on horse like you see in movies, both opponent running in a straight line to see who has the best timing and spacial awareness about range, it is harder compared to the circle around method but super fun.

But even with the cheese method, you still have to be on your toes because some enemies have some attacks with pretty bullshit range and homing effect, so it is still kinda fun.

DavidGzz

I love it. So responsive and getting ride by attacks is so easy. Changing directions on the double jump has saved my life countless times. Idk what people are talking about ref getting knocked off of it. It can tank hits from a giant for you, if you're hit multiple times in a row, it disappears and that's for balance because if not, normal enemies would never be a challenge while on horseback if you were unfazed. Don't get hung up in a pack or suffer the consequences.

Strike weapons are very handy against shielded foes while in horseback, I noticed that I dead stop for a second when I attack with a katana and it was blocked, but when I switched to my hammer I'd keep riding by.

If this were a single post in the OT, most people would agree. Since you made it it's own thread, the haters are coming in droves, lol

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
as a tool to get you from point A to B? Its great, fast and non-intrusive to use.

as an immersive thing? Its just there, as you said its not a horse back simulator, but I guess I find it lacking of any interest other than a basic tool.

I use it more than mounts in Horizon thats for sure. I've used one in that game a grand total of 2 times. So big props to them to make it a very integrated and well planned out part of the gameplay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom