• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we talk about pop-in?

acm2000

Havent played Robocop, but Lords Of The Fallen uses nanite for umbral meshes. Since there are no low-detail versions, what happens is whole chunks of surface detail and geometry spawn and despawn in front of you. The end result looks much worse than what you'd expect with LOD swaps in UE4. Not up to me to judge whether this is due to horsepower or badly optimized code, and I hope we will see nanite and similar tech eventually rise to its potential.
This is a developer fuck up not the engine

Ammogeddon

I’ve been gaming long enough to appreciate how far things have come, but pop in is still one of my pet peeves. I remember there being talk that the current gen consoles would pretty much eliminate it with their SSDs. Haven’t seen it yet.

Certain designs can mitigate it but things like being able to fly in a game world can totally break immersion for me. I found this recently with Avatar. The world is so lush but once you take to the sky it takes a big step back. Things like mountain textures, geometry and foliage density look like shite.

T4keD0wN

I wish more games had a lod slider with infinite ranges, ultra settings are often not enough and its not always possible to tweaks the ini files.
Playing through Avatar right now and Massive have made an amazing menu with 25 settings for object details, to 200% range for streaming distance and much more, but its still not enough as there is a lot of pop-in.

When you’ve grown up experiencing Daytona USA on the Saturn I dont really notice it (still played amazing though)
848454.jpg

This thread took a while to pop into my view, I wouldn't call pop-in a "graphical problem", it is rather a solution to a problem (not enough memory), but I can't explain it as I haven't nearly enough knowledge on the subject matter (maybe some GAFdev can explain it?).

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I generally don’t notice pop in unless I’m looking for it.

Shit, you should’ve been there day one on Saturn lol. Entire chunks of track and backgrounds in Daytona would just pop up on the screen.

Compared to those days I’m fine if a small tree materializes in the distance.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

Pop-in and flickering geometry is a major immersion killer. I was playing vr watching a distant mountain flash in and out of existence.

Top Bottom