• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian General Election (OT) - #elxn42: October 19, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
My stupid meter is already full and we're only three days into this thing. I'm considering doing a total blackout on the election. I've already made up my mind who I'm voting for and all this deceptive bullshit does is get me angry. I don't want to be angry every day for the next 11 weeks.

jstripes

Banned
Isn't jstripes an NDPer? I didn't look at the source of what he was posting, so I just assumed it was an NDP thing, and thought it was only fair to mention that it was kind of hypocritical to attack Trudeau for being at a Pride event when Mulcair had skipped one of Canada's largest just to give a five-minute speech.

If that wasn't the intent, then I apologize.

I sort of go between NDP and Liberal. Almost every election I've voted in I've voted Liberal.

I just think that posing with a topless woman in this hyper-connected social media world, with rabid conservatives looking for any flaw (didn't they already use an old home movie of him dancing shirtless?), is a bit of a strategic misfire.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Canadian debate tonight or Republican Junior debate ? CAN'T DECIDE...

Why bother with the juniors? If you're looking for damn good entertaining TV, you watch the actual Republican debate at 6.

Just tune in to the Canadian Leaders for an hour.

I can't blame people for wanting to watch the Republican primary instead. The bunch we have are so empty and scripted. Who's taking a shot every time "middle class" is mentioned??

We were talking about the debates at work this morning. There was a split between people who thought "middle class" would be the key word, those who thought it would be "economy", and one person who thought it would be "change".

I think Trudeau will go heavy on "change", with a little bit on economy.
Harper will talk mainly about "uncertainty".
Mulcair...I haven't been listening to him much. Probably change? That or 2011/Alberta/Quebec.
May...I think she has the least to lose, so she'll just go crazy on the Conservatives and the NDP.

I sort of go between NDP and Liberal. Almost every election I've voted in I've voted Liberal.

I just think that posing with a topless woman in this hyper-connected social media world, with rabid conservatives looking for any flaw (didn't they already use an old home movie of him dancing shirtless?), is a bit of a strategic misfire.

That wasn't a home movie of him dancing shirtless, that was a video of him at a cancer fundraiser -- and it backfired spectacularly, since with the Canadian Cancer Society getting flooded with donations. I see your point, but I think if people like Ezra Levant and Nick Kouvalis are pushing it, it's because not even the Conservatives are willing to touch it. However moderately scandalous it may look, it did happen (assuming it's not a Photoshop job) at Pride; attacking him for being there and meeting with people could come off as vaguely homophobic, plus I don't think the Cons want to remind people of the fact the generally don't attend public events like that.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Some pretty clever twitter jokes about the Harper/Netflix thing.

CLsgyZMVAAE7XFx.jpg

@BinkBaxter1
Breaking Baird. #HarperANetflixShow #cdnpoli

CLr_b4TUsAAL5mg.jpg

@JazzlamHazzlam
The Incredible Sulk #HarperANetflixShow

Luke Savage @LukewSavage
Orange is the New Government #HarperANetflixShow

Rick Palidwor @RickPalidwor
Honey I blew up the Economy #HarperANetflixShow

Jan O'Hara|Tartitude @jan_ohara
Better Robocall Saul #HarperANetflixShow

Elizabeth @ElizaDeee
Silence of the Scientists #HarperANetflixShow

how many people here are decided on who they will vote for and won't waiver or change their vote?

Gilles Duceppe running in my riding again forced me to make up my mind quickly

Walpurgis

Banned
how many people here are decided on who they will vote for and won't waiver or change their vote?

My primary goal is to see the Conservatives gone. The NDP dominate my riding so I will vote for them, regardless. If I had to choose between the NDP and the Liberals, I would still go NDP because I like them better.

Pedrito

So is tonight debate rigged? Or in other words, why did Stevie accept to take part in this one and not the one we usually have. Just to piss off CBC/Radio Can?

Walpurgis

Banned
So is tonight debate rigged? Or in other words, why did Stevie accept to take part in this one and not the one we usually have. Just to piss off CBC/Radio Can?
I'm curious too. It seems that every time he opens his mouth, he creates a controversy. Why would he agree to a debate?

SRG01

My speculation is that he wanted to control the message and more debates would be problematic. He has a few other appearances in the coming weeks, but they're not official debate formats.

i'm gonna PVR this and watch the Doanld Trump show tonight isntead.

I will be pressing Fast Forward on anything Elizabeth May says; will she whip out her smartphone with the Welcome Back Kotter theme song again?

Tiktaalik

This one is televised on CPAC instead of CBC/CTV/Global. Most Canadians probably don't even know what station number CPAC is, and Canadians that don't have cable and get their TV over the air probably don't even get CPAC (I know I don't).

Essentially the Conservatives want to limit election participation and decrease interest in the election. There's no advantage for them to do a widely broadcast debate that Canadians might watch.

Additionally Mulcair's performance in the house of commons as opposition leader has apparently been pretty impressive judging from the comments of the journalists that go every question period. Mulcair is a trained prosecutor, a good public speaker, and has been a good interrogator of the PM. It may be that this time around the Conservatives think the debates may be tougher than in the past and that's further reason for them to try to ensure that Canadians don't watch them.

SRG01

This one is televised on CPAC instead of CBC/CTV/Global. Most Canadians probably don't even know what station number CPAC is, and Canadians that don't have cable and get their TV over the air probably don't even get CPAC (I know I don't).

Essentially the Conservatives want to limit election participation and decrease interest in the election. There's no advantage for them to do a widely broadcast debate that Canadians might watch.

Additionally Mulcair's performance in the house of commons as opposition leader has apparently been pretty impressive judging from the comments of the journalists that go every question period. Mulcair is a trained prosecutor, a good public speaker, and has been a good interrogator of the PM. It may be that this time around the Conservatives think the debates may be tougher than in the past and that's further reason for them to try to ensure that Canadians don't watch them.

Apparently it's also on CityTV as well. Also, YouTube, Facebook and Macleans for livestreaming.

Ironically, this may actually work against the CPC considering that YouTube and Facebook are the preferred viewing sources of technologically savvy-people... who arguably may be more inclined to vote against them.

Tiktaalik

Apparently it's also on CityTV as well. Also, YouTube, Facebook and Macleans for livestreaming.

Ironically, this may actually work against the CPC considering that YouTube and Facebook are the preferred viewing sources of technologically savvy-people... who arguably may be more inclined to vote against them.

Young people don't vote tho

I had assumed that cbc or ctv would be carrying this debate as well, as they are allowed to film it and carry it (just not host it). I guess they are not?

Popstar

I thought I was decided – voting to re-elect Liberal MP Hedy Fry – but evidently I'm in a new riding now. I'll probably still vote Liberal as I don't see this new riding leaning more left than my old one.

Silexx

I'm not entirely sure how the format that the MacLean's debate will have, but my understanding was that there will be next to no interaction and/or rebuttals between the candidates.

This would please Harper greatly as can just get on stage deliver his speech and answer only to the moderator.

Also, here's the link to the debate online: http://www.macleans.ca/national-leaders-debate/

They're having a debate days after the writ is dropped in the middle of summer. This smacks of the Conservatives limiting exposure to Harper in a situation he doesn't prefer. It's all about control. I doubt the other three parties could make Harper deviate from his carefully-prepared script, but if the possibility is there the impact will be minimized.

Tiktaalik

I thought I was decided – voting to re-elect Liberal MP Hedy Fry – but evidently I'm in a new riding now. I'll probably still vote Liberal as I don't see this new riding leaning more left than my old one.

Is this because you're a Liberal Party supporter or because you want to get rid of Harper and will vote for whichever opposition party has the best chance? If it's the latter the NDP may be the better bet for you this election.

I'm assuming you're now in Vancouver-Granville. If the votes came in the exact same as last election, then the NDP would be only 10% away from victory, and only 5% away from beating the Liberals. It's a fairly competitive riding. The difference is that this time in BC NDP support is at 40% and Liberal currently sitting at 19%.

Similarly voters in Vancouver Centre should also consider switching their allegiance to the NDP this time around as the gap between Liberal and NDP is very small.

If I were you I'd keep a close eye on the polls because NDP support in BC is so high right now that supporting the NDP in these ridings would be the better bet, as they are currently the opposition party with the best chance of beating the Conservatives and forming a minority government.

Fox News doesn't have a free Live Stream, i was hoping to watch the Trump Reality Show

tuning into this Maclean debate......

oh boy, what a sterile backdrop, sterile start

Proc

Very anxious to hear Trudeau on the microphone. Why does Harper try to look like the emporer in Star Wars? That death stare grin lol.

I think the Conservatives have decided they don't really need the debates in order to win over the people who'll vote for them. That's not to say they're not also trying to limit participation and all that, but they've reached a point where they're micro-targeting individual voters who are most likely to vote Conservative. They probably don't think fora where they don't have full control over the message is worth it.

I also wouldn't be surprised if someone tries to goad Mulcair into losing his temper. He may be a good performer in the House, but what works there is very different from what works in a debate. If this is also his only debate -- since they've backed out of the rest -- there's more pressure on him to try and score a knockout.

ooh, STRONG position to take there, Steve.

"I enjoy eating food and drink in order to absorb nutrients."

Pfft, his circuits don't allow for food or drink.

So who's watching? I have it on for now, but seeing as I hate not only two of the leaders, but also Paul Wells (because really, how impartial will a guy who's written two books about Harper's brilliance going to be?), I don't know how long I'll stick it out.

Silexx

I hate to say it, but Trudeau is plain wrong on the CPC's tax policy. They have not been giving tax cuts to the wealthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom