• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Judge to Rape Victim ‘Why couldn’t you just keep your knees together?’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai Kaiju

God damn. It's like he's using the rapist's logic. Who gave this guy the power to judge others? I feel like being OK with rape should disqualify you upfront.
I don't know the process someone goes through to become a judge but I doubt there's a box that says "are you ok with rape? Check yes or no."

Jebusman

Banned
Sometimes?

We invented Hawaiian pizza... The list of stupid things Canadians do would astound you

Hold the fuck up.

You better not be talking shit about the GOAT pizza.

Ham and Pineapple is fucking delicious. I thank every day that I can proudly claim Hawaiian Pizza to my name as a Canadian invention.

Actually on topic though, this judge has a pretty varied history of practicing. He was in Johannesburg for awhile (born and grew up in South Africa), then moved his practice over to Botswana, and eventually came to Canada.

He mostly specialized in contractual, trust, oil and gas, and bankruptcy litigation. None of those seemingly give him the experience or background needed to conduct a sexual assault trial. I have to wonder how or why that happened.

_Ryo_

Should be fired and sued for emotional damages.

The judge literally said girls that drink just want painful sex and its pleasurable, and implied that they wanted to be raped.

Fuck this guy.

Madness

After your own daughter is raped, you would think the guy would have empathy for what another young girl went through and the trauma rape/sexual assault leave on the victims.

The judge is facing a removal and there is a retrial; this is progress. Look back 50 years and the judge's opinion would have been common.
We don't live in a world where a finger is snapped and all is suddenly better all around. Some ideologies only die with when the people believing in them die (a generation or two till it changes. Some concepts take longer than that, even.

The silver lining in this victim's case is that the voice of reason and ability to communicate keeps getting stronger with time. Everyone agrees now in tweets, emails, interviews and reporting that dictates change.

This is a horrible situation for the victim (all of it), but the unanimous support for the victim and dealing with the judge is uplifting. It means we are getting better as human beings.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
How the fuck does someone like this become a judge?

Ive talked to a few judges in winnipeg, you have no idea how fucking stupid they really are. One judge didnt know a specific traffic law so I literally had to explain it like she was a child. Shit was embarassing

nvvman

Neo Member
That's pretty disgusting but it's also sad that one of the main points in the headline is that he's Canadian. Makes it seem like that has something to do with his decision, even though there are judges like that all around.

bronson

That's pretty disgusting but it's also sad that one of the main points in the headline is that he's Canadian. Makes it seem like that has something to do with his decision, even though there are judges like that all around.
Nah, more like it's surprising this is happening in Canada

Nephtis

Yeah no kidding.

Removal from bench is the bare minimum of consequences that he should have. Who knows how many cases have been tainted because of this kind of thinking from him.

Piecake

If I didn't put that in the title I bet quite a few people would have just assumed he was American, and made comments about how shitty America is. It was a precaution against that.

*gets shot*
Judge: Why couldn't you just repel the bullets?

His daughter says he's old fashioned, sounds more like clueless-ness at best...

?

I'm pretty sure it's pretty common to state where judges/politicians are from in articles like this.

How much longer before they come to a conclusion?

I don't know exactly, but it shouldn't be long, really. This is an administrative procedure.

edit: well actually, the procedure for disbenching a judge seems to be heavier than usual. So I'll leave my answer at "I don't know".

From the most recent article:
The judicial council is considering what to do in light of a decision by its inquiry committee to recommend Parliament vote to remove the Federal Court judge from the bench.

Oh I don't know, how about remove the fucker from the bench!

Camp's lawyer, Frank Addario, argued Thursday that written submissions aren't sufficient to ensure the council is fully brought up to speed on the fact that the man who had been accused of rape in the case Camp presided over in 2014 was recently retried and acquitted.
This guy just doesn't get it. Hope he gets removed ASAP.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Daughter being a rape victim, dude has to be projecting some sort of deep seated issues in this rape victim. Not fit for the position.

You'd think the personal experience would foster a sense of empathy, but that doesnt seem to be the case for a lot of people.

Should have been removed 5 months ago, what's to debate? Someone like this is clearly unfit to be a judge

There isn't really a debate, judges have appeal options in situations like this and he's set on exhausting all of them. No other Judge in Canadian history has gone this far, usually when the recommendation is made they don't wait around for Parliament to vote on it.

Hollycat

There isn't really a debate, judges have appeal options in situations like this and he's set on exhausting all of them. No other Judge in Canadian history has gone this far, usually when the recommendation is made they don't wait around for Parliament to vote on it.
"OH cmon, they can't really kick me out, it was just a woman" -judge maybe

The longer he stalls this the more recognizable he's going to be by the average person for being so shitty

Randomizer

Previously happened to his own daughter and he still said this? Absolutely piece of human filth with no compassion or empathy for other people.

How do these power angry sociopaths get into these positions?

"OH cmon, they can't really kick me out, it was just a woman" -judge maybe

The longer he stalls this the more recognizable he's going to be by the average person for being so shitty

Oh he's going to get removed, there's not much question about that. The problem is you can't run roughshod over the law to get rid of a judge who ran roughshod over the law.

Previously happened to his own daughter and he still said this? Absolutely piece of human filth.

How do these power angry sociopaths get into these positions?

He was appointed by the previous Conservative government. Usually we're a little better than this, as Judges aren't elected they're appointed by the Government and the Law Society. Federal Judges can be appointed by the PM though.

Maximus.

A lot of people were livid when this first happened.

Been wanting to see him removed since then, he's said he's sorry and he's learned better but honestly I don't have any faith in his capability to judge such cases and others of similar kinds at this point.

Yup, that is a fucked up mindset and thing to say. What is up with all these people in authority positions having such strong bias like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom