• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto to have Maple Bacon Jam Cronut Burgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/cronut-burger-coming-to-toronto-s-cne-1.1405558

It was just a matter of time. In fact, given the meteoric popularity of the trendiest and hottest pastry in the world right now, it could even be said it’s a little late in coming.

At the largest fun fair in Canada this month, visitors will be able to partake in what food pruveyor Epic Burgers and Waffles acknowledges is a "heart-stopping" creation that sandwiches a hamburger patty between two pieces of cronut clones, the hybrid croissant-donut pastry made famous by a French chef in New York this spring.

The Maple Bacon Jam Cronut Burger will become available when the fair -- the traditional marketplace for freakshow foods -- opens August 16 at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto.

qDj9duC.jpg

wTmjRMF.jpg

I had cronuts for the first time (at the original bakery in NYC where they were invented) a few days ago.

So fucking divine....

Wonder if any of these imitations can match the original.

....Ah who am I kidding, this looks delicious.

Brinbe

I will have it.

I had cronuts for the first time (at the original bakery in NYC where they were invented) a few days ago.

So fucking divine....

Wonder if any of these imitations can match the original.

....Ah who am I kidding, this looks delicious.
Ha, I did the same a few months ago. I doubt this'll be anywhere near as good.

Oh goddamnit I should've known this was a Xia thread

First awesome movies, now awesome food, it's like Xia just wants us all to sit in a theater or on our cou-OH GOD XIA IS SKYNET :O

thomaser

So fucking divine....

I'm going to NYC soon, and will have a few hours free to do whatever I want. Is it worth it to spend some of those hours in the cronut line?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
What will the US respond with?

Technically, someone already did this in the US - he got a genuine Cronut from Ansel's bakery in New York, then brought it to Umami Burger and made his own cronut burger.

http://firstwefeast.com/eat/umami-cronut-burger-mission/

m3aMQdh.jpg

bTzTf0j.jpg

VwOQ2DR.jpg

To my surprise, the flavors melded well. The blackberry filling sweetened the savory Umami flavoring. As my waitress told me, “It looks like a heart attack on a plate.” I corrected her, “A little sweeter than a heart attack.” At 11:38am I finished my Umami-Cronut Burger. I wiped my face, paid the bill, and left. Almost exactly six hours since I woke up, I walked out of Umami Burger victorious and headed down Sixth Avenue. The memory of standing in line, buying my Cronuts, shocking Umami’s staff, and eating my brunch sandwich was fresh in my mind, making me proud, absurdly so.

I'm going to NYC soon, and will have a few hours free to do whatever I want. Is it worth it to spend some of those hours in the cronut line?

To get an authentic cronut, you have to either:

1) Get in line at 6:00 A.M. (the bakery opens at 8:00)

2) Pay someone to stand in line for you and deliver it

They only make about 300 every day...

...but it really is worth it. That bakery makes some incredible treats. While you're there, make sure you try some of their other products as well.

Derwind

Please god, please don't be a limited time deal thing. I'm a few provinces ovrr but coming back to my city in a month or so.

I need this.

=_=

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Don't worry, you can still get this smore covered hot dog...

czd1HxG.jpg

...you know, if you hate yourself

Dr.Acula

Banned
Cronut burger pulled :(

It only poisoned 223 people.

As of Tuesday morning, Toronto Public Health says it has received 223 complaints from people who experienced gastrointestinal symptoms after eating at the CNE.

The common element in all of the cases health officials investigated has been the cronut burger, a doughnut-croissant hybrid served with a hamburger patty and a slice of cheese.

Toronto Public Health released a statement Tuesday saying that the maple bacon jam that was served atop the burger contained Staphylococcus aureus toxin, a cause of food-borne illness.

Le Dolci, a Toronto bakery that supplied the jam as well as the Cronut-inspired pastries to EPIC Burgers and Waffles, has voluntarily ceased production, the statement read.

explodet

Illness count: 223. Death count: 0 (unless you count the cronut burger itself, which will no longer be sold).

And they found the cause:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ple-bacon-jam-contaminated-cronut-burger.html

It wasn’t the half-doughnut, half-croissant bun. It wasn’t the beef patty. It wasn’t the optional egg or bacon.

The part of the cronut burger contaminated with the Staphylococcus aureus toxin, which caused food-borne illness in 223 people at the Canadian National Exhibition last week, was the maple bacon jam topping, according to Toronto Public Health's lab reports and inspection of vendor Epic Burgers and Waffles.

"New lab results indicate that the maple bacon jam, which is one component of the cronut burger, is the cause of food-borne illnesses at the CNE," said Dr. David McKeown, Toronto's medical officer. "We have ensured the contaminated product is not served. There is no risk to the public."

The investigation also ruled that Epic Burgers and Waffles could reopen its food stall at the CNE because the contaminated topping was from an outside vendor — Le Dolci.

However, a statement from Epic Burgers and Waffles said it would reopen its food stand but not serve the cronut burger.

Edit: Late, damn it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom