• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadians collectively gasp as Air Canada is ranked #1 NA airline

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Survey names Air Canada best airline in North America, Singapore best in world

Readers of Global Traveler, a U.S.-based magazine aimed at business travellers, have named Air Canada the best airline in North America, followed by American Airlines in second place and Delta in third.

Almost 26,000 readers voted in the magazine's annual survey, which ranked Singapore Airlines the best airline in the world. British Airways was voted best for business class and Emirates the best for first class, while Lufthansa was rated the top transatlantic airline.

Seoul Incheon was named best airport in the world and Chicago O'Hare International No. 1 in North America. Denver International Airport was best for airport dining.

The magazine called 2009 a year of adversity for the travel industry, with significant losses and reduced business travel.

Air Canada says it has updated its international and North American fleets with new Boeing 777 and Embraer aircraft. It has also completed a major refurbishment of its existing fleets, with new seats and personal entertainment systems at each seat.

In summary:
Best NA Airlines: Air Canada, American Airlines and then Delta Airlines
Best World Airline: Singapore Airlines
Best Business Class Airline: British Airways
Best First Class Airline: Emirates
Best Transatlantic Airline: Lufthansa

Best World Airport: Seoul Incheon
Best NA Airport: Chicago O'Hare International

How bad are the other NA airlines if Air Canada is ranked #1 in NA ?

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Seoul Incheon was named best airport in the world and Chicago O'Hare International No. 1 in North America. Denver International Airport was best for airport dining.

Who gives a shit about Air Canada? The real question is, HOW IS O'HARE THE BEST AIRPORT?

C4Lukins

I almost always have a terrible experience with American Airlines. I am big fan of Southwest just because they seem to be the most consistently ontime and they do not nickel and dime you on food and luggage. Also very friendly and helpful staff.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
to be honest, air canada has stepped its game up big time since the old days.

they have those little tvs now, and outlets and such.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Phobophile said:
Who gives a shit about Air Canada? The real question is, HOW IS O'HARE THE BEST AIRPORT?
Well, I only had a 2 hour delay there. Instead of the 4 hour delay in Vegas. Soooo much better

Medalion

Banned
BattlestarDT said:
This is no coincidence, since Air Canada is managed by Wu-Tang Financial

060115-chappelle-keeping-real-video.jpg

Pachinko

I've been on perhaps a dozen planes in my life with only 3 trips under my belt and I'd hate to see how bad the US airlines must be if aircanada beats them. About half the flights I used were air canada and 2 times they "misplaced" my luggage.

Air singapore getting #1 is a total agreement box though. Flew to and from tokyo on their airline and at the time they were one of the few companies with satellite based personal entertainment, decent service and unique uniforms too.

cvxfreak

I can definitely agree with Seoul Incheon being the best airport in the world. Same with Singapore Changi and Hong Kong International. Got to visit all three this year and they're new, well maintained and you'll never get bored.

The fact that the top three north american airlines dont include Mexicana shows the bias.

The people who filled out the surveys were probably american business travelers, and they fly based on what the company will send them on. That's why the legacy carriers will always make the list, even though there may be some smaller, newer airlines that are better in every single way.

Same deal with "foreign" airlines. Because of company bias, the business trip between Dallas and Mexico City will be on an ancient american airlines MD-80 instead of on a newer Mexicana jet with free food and beer (not to mention in flight entertainment! thats right, most of american airlines planes dont even have TVs in the aisle)

seanoff

all north american airlines suck.

getting off a SIA flight in LAX and then getting on any US/Canadian airline is a SHOCK.

but we get a bit spoiled in Aus. Qantas are OK, but you can fly Emirates, Etihad, SIA, Cathay etc.

xbhaskarx

Seoul is definitely a nice airport, and Singapore, Emirates and Lufthansa are quality airlines. I don't think I agree with any of the others.

Dies Iræ

I would imagine the sample was disproportionately first-class, which would explain why they choose Air Canada - they treat their richest flyers like royalty. As a Canadian, I can safely say that Air Canada is far from the best choice for economy class flyers. Also, Vancouver International (YVR) is probably the nicest airport in North America.

Codeblue

I've flown my whole life, not as varied as some people, but I've seen a good number of air ports around the world. All I really have to say is: Really? O'Hare? Really? I've never once been to that airport without being treated like dirt. It's in no way the best air port in NA or even the U.S. DFW has been leagues better in my experience, in service and cleanliness.

Never flown on Air Canada, but I agree with American ranking over Delta.

Well, Air Canada has improved over the past few years, I'll give it that. But I wouldn't have ranked it number one, not by a long shot.

I must give props to Porter, though. Lounge with wireless, short lines anywhere they fly, complimentary booze in-flight...:D

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Uh...was WestJet not in this survey???

I worked in Chicago a few years ago and was on a plane twice a week, O'Hare was awesome. Got to know the TSA people and we always had a good time when I was going through security.

One time I was behind a lady got pulled aside when they asked her what she had packed after it went through the X-ray machines. They opened her luggage and found...loose razor blades. Maaaaaaaaan, I never saw so many TSA guys surround one person.

Another time, the lady in front of me was asked to remove her cardigan and put it through the X-ray machine. She refused. She was asked again...her response was "But I'm an American. I'm an American and that means I don't have to take it off." No joke. After about 10 minutes of this, they opened up another line, diverted us all there and dealt with her by herself. By the time I got through I heard some serious yelling going on. Good times.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Air Canada is most certainly better than the crap airlines in the States. But I'd go with Singapore Airlines as number one :)

My personal favourite, though, is Cathay Pacific! :) They had some pretty hot (and FRIENDLIER) stewardesses, better uniforms, better food, better entertainment selection than Air Canada by far.

O'Hare is a fucking joke. Unless that award is for the Best WORST airport. O'Hare is a huge freakin maze that forced me to go through customs and check in TWICE. I nearly missed my flight because of them (though that also happened at the Vancouver airport too). Pearson International might never be up there, but I've never experienced any wait times or delays from the airport staff.

Hong Kong airport is cool, but I feel bad for any poor pilots that have to land there. Hardest airport to land in the entire world.

jdccb

I don't understand the love American gets in this set of rankings. They charge for EVERYTHING, give you NOTHING, have extraordinarily limited entertainment options on most of their planes. Their one main hub works reasonably well and thats about it.

seanoff

Kuro Madoushi said:
Hong Kong airport is cool, but I feel bad for any poor pilots that have to land there. Hardest airport to land in the entire world.

HKG is a doddle. straight in straight out, absolute snack. very dull now

the old HKG airport however was an absolute shocker.

tried to land in a typhoon 1 day, diverted to Taipei. being upside down in a 757 below 2k was no fun over Kowloon. aircraft didn't climb out after that so much as take an elevator. talking to the pilot later he said that he took the engines to FULL power, not the limited full power that they usually use, this was in his words "everything they had". we went almost straight up.

Air Canada is pretty good.

Alitalia is probably the worst airline I've ever been on. Their planes are old and broken. BUT...the flight attendants are fucking sexy. It's worth it for that alone, even if the plane has a good chance of falling apart over the atlantic.

Azuran

Banned
Why? Air Canada sucks. It also doesn't help that they're expensive as hell. I prefer to travel to Buffalo and fly from there.

koam

Why gasp?

Air Canada IS the best airline and I've tried a bunch. The major US ones are amongst the worst, they freaking charge you for luggage, wtf?

Air Canada = decent prices, comfy seats, DECENT food, each seat has it's own dvd player with over 50 movies and some are still in the theatres. Free headphones, blankets and uncomfortable pillows. Honestly, my last few flights have been with AC and I haven't had a single issue.

Unfortunately, people remember the old AC that was a big ripoff and had shitty planes.

Why? Air Canada sucks. It also doesn't help that they're expensive as hell. I prefer to travel to Buffalo and fly from there.

Obviously it's cheaper if you go to Buffalo, you're half way there already.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Air Canada #1? Pure unmitigated horseshit. Alaska Airlines is 100x better. Hell, Air North is better than Air Canada. I smell moneyhats/government intervention.

I flew on Singapore airlines a decade ago, but I remember it blowing my mind. They had SNES games! A decade ago! I had never been on a plane with screens on the backs of seats before.

They must have PS2 slims in each seat by now.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
The one thing I really don't like about Air Canada are the surly flight attendants. They make the most unpleasant flights all the less pleasant. The food is pretty awful too. Not sure how they beat out companies like WestJet on this list.

woodchuck

I flew coach on Emirates about 3 years ago. Their ICE In-Flight Entertainment is so fucking awesome. They have a huge selection of TV, Movies, Music, etc. Fuck, I recall them even having a bunch of Arrested Development episodes.

seanoff

CajoleJuice said:
I flew on Singapore airlines a decade ago, but I remember it blowing my mind. They had SNES games! A decade ago! I had never been on a plane with screens on the backs of seats before.

They must have PS2 slims in each seat by now.

not quite, but i think some of the games are flash games like bejewled etc, along with pokemon and mario.

in other news some of the newer aircraft allow you to plug in you iphone/ipod/ personal video player and watch your own content on the seat back screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom