• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cannabis more damaging to under-18s, study suggests

Status
Not open for further replies.
ITT: Weed smokers justifying smoking weed.

I don't care if you do it, I personally think it should be legal, but to say that it's safer than cigarettes, or safer than alcohol? Give me a break.

Weed is both safer then cigarettes and alcohol. Still not great for you but nowhere near as bad.

highrider

Banned

I don't care if you do it, I personally think it should be legal, but to say that it's safer than cigarettes, or safer than alcohol? Give me a break.

ehh, i don't need to justify it any more than a drinker needs to justify a beer. as far as what is safer to use, i would suggest looking at some information about the numbers of people actually dying from cigarettes and alcohol. then follow that up with deaths associated with marijuana.

as for the ot, i started smoking on a fairly regular basis at 16 or 17. i've never felt it made me less intelligent, but i guess you wouldn't know that anyway lol.

I'm a proponent for legalizing it, and helping to cripple the illicit economies that surround it, I think as leisure drugs go - it's not so bad. In my experience in recent years, it's cocaine which has increasingly worrying use in most towns and cities, it's gone from party drug of the affluent to common in every club and pub toilet. But weed is more rampant, it's almost normal to habitually smoke it - it's considered as safe if not safer than alcohol, and I know people who started as young as about 14/15 on it. The more we understand the better really. Sounds like a comprehensive study, and something that kids and parents alike should bear in mind!

Weed is just like most other sort of vices, it's fine when you take it in moderation, but when you practically live off it of. No matter how relatively harmless it is, you'll probably end up doing some sort of longterm damage regardless.

Potheads who practically live and sleep weed should probably be worried the most. That shit cannot be healthy at all.

Drewsky

It totally is.

Have you ever smoked weed?

http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/alcohol-use.htm

There are approximately 79,000 deaths attributable to excessive alcohol use each year in the United States. This makes excessive alcohol use the 3rd leading lifestyle-related cause of death for the nation. Additionally, excessive alcohol use is responsible for 2.3 million years of potential life lost (YPLL) annually, or an average of about 30 years of potential life lost for each death. In the single year 2005, there were more than 1.6 million hospitalizations and more than 4 million emergency room visits for alcohol-related conditions.

my first week of college there were multiple students who required medical attention for alcohol poisoning, i think at least one of them died. You don't see stuff like this happen with marijuana

eastmen

Banned
I'd be fine if they made it 21 and over only just like Alcohol . While they are at it they should raise the smoking age to 21 also.

reaver18

How many of these kids also started drinking alcohol at the same age? Or other drugs? Anyway, I don't think this is ground breaking news to anyone.

MVP

Banned
PfELd.gif

Az987

all good things
I was 10 the first time I smoked weed.

Everyone should take that into consideration when reading a lot of my posts.

squidyj

so they measured once and then again at 25 years later and found a reduced iq in the ones who had been heavy smokers when they were adolescent.... I wish I could find the study proper somewhere.

How many of these kids also started drinking alcohol at the same age? Or other drugs? Anyway, I don't think this is ground breaking news to anyone.

This is basically my question, none of the articles on the paper that I've read have indicated how they analyzed the data or controlled for other potential variables, particularly in other aspects of lifestyle and learning. From the articles it doesn't seem conclusive of causation.

I mean, I don't fuck with that stuff and for good reason. The notion that any drug is "harmless" and can be taken with wild abandon is naive. Know the risks, know the rewards and make up your own mind and use at your discretion.

All the more reason to tax and regulate like alcohol, 21 years of age is the PERFECT time to start smoking, if you are so inclined, it isnt for everyone, but in my opinion its leagues better than drinking.

Mind altering substance affects developing minds? You don't say.

Glad I did start until I was well into my 20's.

Edit: Heh... Great minds. :)

Hunter S.

No dah, the brain is not even fully functioning until about age 23-24. Obviously it can disrupt development of the brain in large quantities. So would most drugs in large quantities I am sure.

Izayoi

Banned
Anybody who has a psychotic break after smoking pot was more than likely going to have a psychotic break at some point anyway.
Or whatever they were smoking was cut with something that is known to cause psychosis.

One of many reasons to legalize, I might add.

Oh hey guys, what if the US just legalized marijuana and set the legal age limit to...I don't know, say 18 or even 21, before you could use it?

Wouldn't that solve a ton of problems, ranging from our absurd incarceration rates to some serious tax problems?

I think I should call the president with this info. Surely somebody of Obama's stature can respect and appreciate such a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom