• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cant call it the gafcast episode 3 topic discussion

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
hey kids another week another podcast (this time well get it right the first go around!)

So what should we talk about?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
if you haven't talked about it yet: talk about the summer drought in america vs the fact that japan still gets awesome games year around. (i don't remember what you all discussed in the other gafcasts so if you have already talked about it my bad!)

Belfast

Gaming girlfriends...have one? Ever had one? How do they deal with you? Do they play games...if so, what and why?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Maybe we can talk about your strange avatar?

sprsk

Belfast said:
Gaming girlfriends...have one? Ever had one? How do they deal with you? Do they play games...if so, what and why?

this might be a good fun topic. It might turn into a "my girlfriend i have a girlfriend girlfriend girlfriend" thing though.

Ponn

Banned
You could go for the plain vanilla flavored "What do we think will happen at TGS"

or you could go with the Superman flavored "Why Transformers the Movie will rock next summer"

Maybe more seriously (and most definitely more civil then on the boards) me and my friends were having the start of a most excellent conversation on how all 3 next gen systems seem to be doing their own individual things and could carve out their own individual niche's in the market.

Ashodin

Immersion's strong arm rumble tactics

NeoGAF mentioned by 1UP (rail on 1UP time)

Speculation on the big PSP title

I got nothing.

Belfast

sp0rsk said:
this might be a good fun topic. It might turn into a "my girlfriend i have a girlfriend girlfriend girlfriend" thing though.

I would assume not everybody has a girlfriend, so they could talk about what they'd like in one!

Seriously, though, I find that mine has interesting tastes concerning what she will and won't play. She enjoys watching me play more often than doing it herself, for instance. It might be an interesting insight into female gamers that AREN'T Fragdolls.

Ashodin

M3wThr33 said:
The Sony Ad
/agree

btw

Podcast Sales Age

Code:
Downloads:
----------------------
Beta GAFcast: 358
Can't call it the GAFcast Episode 2: 1365

Onward and upward, gentlemen!

Belfast

Maxrpg said:
/agree

btw

Podcast Sales Age

Code:
Downloads:
----------------------
Beta GAFcast: 358
Can't call it the GAFcast Episode 2: 1365

Onward and upward, gentlemen!

That totally doesn't jive with the amount of comments we got, but if it's true, cool!

Are those full downloads? Because I know we were having trouble and people probably had to restart several times.

Belfast said:
I would assume not everybody has a girlfriend, so they could talk about what they'd like in one!

Seriously, though, I find that mine has interesting tastes concerning what she will and won't play. She enjoys watching me play more often than doing it herself, for instance. It might be an interesting insight into female gamers that AREN'T Fragdolls.
My wife has very particular tastes when it comes to gaming as well, but for the most part she likes to watch me play and point out what I should be doing.

Ashodin

Those are full downloads sir

It seems we are getting more people interested the better the podcast gets.

First, the forums, then, FRONT PAGE! MWAHAHAHA

Belfast

Maxrpg said:
Those are full downloads sir

It seems we are getting more people interested the better the podcast gets.

First, the forums, then, FRONT PAGE! MWAHAHAHA

That's great, then! It's inspiring, if anything.

sprsk

bengraven said:
Um. Where are the first two?

the first one is in the hearts and minds of every gaffer out there.

2 is in the last gafcast thread (search is cool)

Srider

Banned
How about tackling the subject of American stereotypes of Japanese gaming culture.

Like the stereotypical belief that gaming is cool in Japan.

This is bound to garner the interest of gaffers.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
There needs to be a topic that I have interest in. Something like...

"YOU ****ING BINGO OCTOPUS BITCH, ROLL A 23, YOU ****!" (i.e. Dragon Quest 8)

I'm still wanting some NCAA/Madden Discussion, but since those aren't out yet...

jjasper

Srider said:
The game sucks. Don't know about the movie though.

Then why these lies being spread?

duckroll said:
I'm over six hours in Brave Story now. It actually stays rather fresh and interesting for a traditional game. There's a decent variety of enemies in each as well, and they have really nice animations. What I really like is how the different areas in the game are very different from each other and continue to offer new types of enemies with different design concepts. Did I mention the lack of loading is REALLY enjoyable to play?

Plot-wise the game is holding up pretty well too. It's nothing ground breaking, but the actual script is well written and the characters are charming. Towns have good design too, and the overall music is pretty good. Characters get new attacks and combination attacks pretty quickly as well, so battles don't get boring. What I especially like is that the weapon changes are visible in battles.

Anyway at 6+ hours I think I might be almost half done with the game, so it's looking like a good 15 hour game or so. At this point any longer and it'll be gravy. The game has a optional stuff to do too, so we'll see.

Mason

I don't know if you guys want any feedback on the first one, but I figure I'll give it anyway. Keep in mind that I don't normally ever listen to podcasts so this is feedback from a pretty casual type of person. I don't know what most podcasts are like or what the standard is. Hopefully this helps.

- I only made it about halfway through the first one, and that was just to see if it ever got interesting. It seemed like a bunch of people sitting around talking about videogames but nobody was really more qualified than me to be discussing this stuff. I don't know how possible it is, but it would be neat to get somebody from the industry to talk and bounce questions off of. That would give me a reason to listen to it.

- Maybe limit the discussion to 3-4 people instead of 5-6. I can't keep anyone straight; not sure if you guys even care about that, though.

- Refrain from listing off games you're playing or what games you like. I really couldn't care less. Please refrain from GAF inside jokes/references as they're generally not funny.

- Perhaps come up with a couple topics and have everyone do some actual research before the podcast so you can bring up a discussion topic and then everyone can have an intelligent discussion with real sources they can cite. Again, a lot of the time now people are spouting off things about how, "it's like this or that in Japan" and I'm like, "uh, and how do you know that?" Or instead of saying, "people in the industry say this or that," again, have actual sources and names you can cite.

That's all I can think of for now, hopefully that helps??

Belfast

Mason said:
I don't know if you guys want any feedback on the first one, but I figure I'll give it anyway. Keep in mind that I don't normally ever listen to podcasts so this is feedback from a pretty casual type of person. I don't know what most podcasts are like or what the standard is. Hopefully this helps.

- I only made it about halfway through the first one, and that was just to see if it ever got interesting. It seemed like a bunch of people sitting around talking about videogames but nobody was really more qualified than me to be discussing this stuff. I don't know how possible it is, but it would be neat to get somebody from the industry to talk and bounce questions off of. That would give me a reason to listen to it.

- Maybe limit the discussion to 3-4 people instead of 5-6. I can't keep anyone straight; not sure if you guys even care about that, though.

- Refrain from listing off games you're playing or what games you like. I really couldn't care less. Please refrain from GAF inside jokes/references as they're generally not funny.

- Perhaps come up with a couple topics and have everyone do some actual research before the podcast so you can bring up a discussion topic and then everyone can have an intelligent discussion with real sources they can cite. Again, a lot of the time now people are spouting off things about how, "it's like this or that in Japan" and I'm like, "uh, and how do you know that?" Or instead of saying, "people in the industry say this or that," again, have actual sources and names you can cite.

First one as in betacast? or Episode 2? (the actual Ep. 1 is lost)

Kangu

Banned
talk about excite truck and how its going to suck

also talk about mother 3 and how its a good thing nintendo spared us the translation of that tripe

talk about madden and how its the same game every year with a roster update

talk about ds and how its way better than psp and psp has no games

talk about some game evilore likes and how it sucks

Shogun

Half the year is over, why not take this droughtcast to look back on good stuff from the first half, maybe remind people to play what they put off in January.

sprsk

Mason said:

"its like this or that in japan" "uh and how do you know that" **** I DUNNO! maybe cause i live there!

Its a podcast, we arent writing news articles.

Mason

sp0rsk said:
"its like this or that in japan" "uh and how do you know that" **** I DUNNO! maybe cause i live there!

Its a podcast, we arent writing news articles.

I'm referring more to when people make generalized statements and have nothing to back it up. Like I said, don't listen to podcasts, so I don't know how they are.

But if all the gaf podcasts are gonna be like the first one (technically the second, I guess), I don't really see the point in even doing it. We can all talk about this stuff on the message board we're on right now and it will be more timely and lively than when you do it in a podcast. Unless you can get some kind of exclusive content/interviews/people on or do something that can't be done on the GAF gaming board, I don't get the point.

Lonestar

hey, that podcast was like take #2 or 3, the spontinuity was gone, adios, Fin'!

I didn't like the "what're we playing" aspect, though that was probably the only thing I talked about. Had no real say so in the "Prey" stuff, and the Marketplace, my real comment was in the lost episode.

I'm still more in favor of a smaller, rotating cast, or maybe insert "clips" from other people, like a Sale's Age update, Madden update, Willco Update featuring Timberlake. You know, some "PIZZAAAAAAZ"

Srider

Banned
Lonestar said:
hey, that podcast was like take #2 or 3, the spontinuity was gone, adios, Fin'!

I didn't like the "what're we playing" aspect, though that was probably the only thing I talked about. Had no real say so in the "Prey" stuff, and the Marketplace, my real comment was in the lost episode.

I'm still more in favor of a smaller, rotating cast, or maybe insert "clips" from other people, like a Sale's Age update, Madden update, Willco Update featuring Timberlake. You know, some "PIZZAAAAAAZ"

Updates from forum contents is a really bad idea imo. Why bother with a podcast if you are just going to be rehashing forum posts? The podcast should take advantage of the fact that it's a flowing content to provide a better experience/delivery than what a forum can offer.

I think it's much better if the participants are more informed in different subject other than games and can make some commentary based on their distinct views if it even exists.

I think the problem with the gafcast so far is simply a lack of chemistry and otherwise lack of personality. No one really has anything unique to offer to the conversation, partly due to the mediocre choice of topics thus far. Why should we care what you think about a game? What does it matter what game you are playing now? These kinds of irrelevant topics make for a boring podcast. Obviously this is still quite new, but starting with interesting topics will go a long way in making an interesting podcast.

Take advantage of the personalities of the participants. For example, since Sp0rks is in Japan, talk about special happenings in Japan and otherwise be detailed in the description, maybe provide links to watch.impress or similar media content so the viewers can make connections with the audio content. Talk about stuff that the average gaffers would not /can not have read online. Put things into perspective. Start with a game related topic, but explore the subject beyond just about games. Interesting radio shows on NPR are interesting because they are indepth and provide a unique perspective. Obviously it's going to be difficult to do all of these in one go, but if this can be done on just one topic in the next gafcast, it would be a big step.

The host should also be more active in directing the conversation, we don't need to hear the opinions of everyone on each subject. Maybe ask one or two of the participants on each subject, and move on.

Belfast

Srider said:
Updates from forum contents is a really bad idea imo. Why bother with a podcast if you are just going to be rehashing forum posts? The podcast should take advantage of the fact that it's a flowing content to provide a better experience/delivery than what a forum can offer.

I think it's much better if the participants are more informed in different subject other than games and can make some commentary based on their distinct views if it even exists.

I think the problem with the gafcast so far is simply a lack of chemistry and otherwise lack of personality. No one really has anything unique to offer to the conversation, partly due to the mediocre choice of topics thus far. Why should we care what you think about a game? What does it matter what game you are playing now? These kinds of irrelevant topics make for a boring podcast. Obviously this is still quite new, but starting with interesting topics will go a long way in making an interesting podcast.

Take advantage of the personalities of the participants. For example, since Sp0rks is in Japan, talk about special happenings in Japan and otherwise be detailed in the description, maybe provide links to watch.impress or similar media content so the viewers can make connections with the audio content. Talk about stuff that the average gaffers would not /can not have read online. Put things into perspective. Start with a game related topic, but explore the subject beyond just about games. Interesting radio shows on NPR are interesting because they are indepth and provide a unique perspective. Obviously it's going to be difficult to do all of these in one go, but if this can be done on just one topic in the next gafcast, it would be a big step.

The host should also be more active in directing the conversation, we don't need to hear the opinions of everyone on each subject. Maybe ask one or two of the participants on each subject, and move on.

I know it's a pain to go back and read the other threads, but it still needs to be repeated that we're doing this over teamspeak. Unfortunately, we lack consistent mic quality and same-room presence. Each person pretty much has to talk one at a time and though editing can help that somewhat, I don't think we'll ever be chatting under ideal circumstances.

I agree with the varied topics thing, which has been mentioned before, but I'm a little sketchy on the "why should we care?" idea. Why should you care about *any* game impressions? Posted on the forums, on major sites, in the podcast...I don't see a big enough distinction as to why ours would be any different. In fact, I'd say it works slightly to our advantage...we DON'T have access to special guests, insider knowledge, or advance copies of games to talk about. And sp0rsk is the only one actually IN Japan so he'd probably just be talking about that foreign stuff alone.

Getting back to the advantage part, though, I think that we're all fairly informed individuals as far as accessible knowledge goes and since our views aren't augmented by the above "assets" it gives us a somewhat different perspective on events. I'm not going to go so far as to say "everyman" but it's the gaming community equivalent.

Honestly, I'd love to have higher production values and whatnot. Hopefully we'll be able to improve that over time, but there are some things we simply cannot change.

sprsk

Mason said:
I'm referring more to when people make generalized statements and have nothing to back it up. Like I said, don't listen to podcasts, so I don't know how they are.

But if all the gaf podcasts are gonna be like the first one (technically the second, I guess), I don't really see the point in even doing it. We can all talk about this stuff on the message board we're on right now and it will be more timely and lively than when you do it in a podcast. Unless you can get some kind of exclusive content/interviews/people on or do something that can't be done on the GAF gaming board, I don't get the point.

yes that goes for everything though.

Srider

Banned
Belfast said:
I know it's a pain to go back and read the other threads, but it still needs to be repeated that we're doing this over teamspeak. Unfortunately, we lack consistent mic quality and same-room presence. Each person pretty much has to talk one at a time and though editing can help that somewhat, I don't think we'll ever be chatting under ideal circumstances.

I agree with the varied topics thing, which has been mentioned before, but I'm a little sketchy on the "why should we care?" idea. Why should you care about *any* game impressions? Posted on the forums, on major sites, in the podcast...I don't see a big enough distinction as to why ours would be any different. In fact, I'd say it works slightly to our advantage...we DON'T have access to special guests, insider knowledge, or advance copies of games to talk about. And sp0rsk is the only one actually IN Japan so he'd probably just be talking about that foreign stuff alone.

Getting back to the advantage part, though, I think that we're all fairly informed individuals as far as accessible knowledge goes and since our views aren't augmented by the above "assets" it gives us a somewhat different perspective on events. I'm not going to go so far as to say "everyman" but it's the gaming community equivalent.

Honestly, I'd love to have higher production values and whatnot. Hopefully we'll be able to improve that over time, but there are some things we simply cannot change.

Well, I did take into consideration of the production capability of Sp0rks. I am actually encouraging people speaking one at a time, like my last statement suggests. I just think that somehow the things said by the participants should be more than just one or two liners. This is actually an easy cure for the teamspeak problem. When one person speaks at length about something, it's much easier to follow than quick cuts of speech from multiple people in varying volumes. It's up to the host, however, to direct the conversation well; and the speakers to be knowledgable or have enough to say about something to achieve this effect.

Regarding the subject matter of the gafcast. The reason that I said "who should care" should be the exact focus of the gafcast. Just like on the forum certain posters garner more interest than others, there is a reason why that is. Figure out what can make the gafcast interesting is the most important thing. I merely suggested the ways that I believe to be the direction gafcast should take. How well it may work out is not something that i can guarantee, but the point is to emphasize what's different about the gafcast.

I completely understand the lack of assets situation, but that is exactly why I suggest focusing on the individuals knowledge base. There are much more interesting content about games other than review/impressions. Think about the impact or influences games have on your lives, how they are different among the participants, how you look at things from your own perspectives. Talking about how much a game sucks or how you've played game xxx that no one else has played doesn't show much in terms of overall knowledge.

Don't be afraid to take a side or going against the current, or even talking about non game related subjects. There is much more to gaming/gaf culture than just games. Maybe people just need to get comfortable. I think if all the participants are well rounded individuals, the gafcast would not need more than 1 take.

Rlan

I've got a microphone, but I need to test it in these conditions.

I'm in the gafcast room if anyone's willing to help :p

Lonestar

Forum updates a bad idea, huh. Well, I give you the Willco one (which was a joke anyway) but Madden is a real topic, dammit! Online Forum 4 Lyfe BITCH.

Belfast

Srider said:
Well, I did take into consideration of the production capability of Sp0rks. I am actually encouraging people speaking one at a time, like my last statement suggests. I just think that somehow the things said by the participants should be more than just one or two liners. This is actually an easy cure for the teamspeak problem. When one person speaks at length about something, it's much easier to follow than quick cuts of speech from multiple people in varying volumes. It's up to the host, however, to direct the conversation well; and the speakers to be knowledgable or have enough to say about something to achieve this effect.

Regarding the subject matter of the gafcast. The reason that I said "who should care" should be the exact focus of the gafcast. Just like on the forum certain posters garner more interest than others, there is a reason why that is. Figure out what can make the gafcast interesting is the most important thing. I merely suggested the ways that I believe to be the direction gafcast should take. How well it may work out is not something that i can guarantee, but the point is to emphasize what's different about the gafcast.

I completely understand the lack of assets situation, but that is exactly why I suggest focusing on the individuals knowledge base. There are much more interesting content about games other than review/impressions. Think about the impact or influences games have on your lives, how they are different among the participants, how you look at things from your own perspectives. Talking about how much a game sucks or how you've played game xxx that no one else has played doesn't show much in terms of overall knowledge.

Don't be afraid to take a side or going against the current, or even talking about non game related subjects. There is much more to gaming/gaf culture than just games. Maybe people just need to get comfortable. I think if all the participants are well rounded individuals, the gafcast would not need more than 1 take.

Duly noted. At this point, though, I think we're just going to have to see where the wind takes us. Hopefully, over the next few weeks it'll get better, people will get more comfortable, and personalities will start to evolve.

Last Hope

How Xbox will never ever sell in Japan but at least MS maybe, just maybe understanding this this time since they are not dumping like 60% of their resources in it this time around. But never underestimate MS though, they have a history of not learning from experience. Look at the UMPC or even this new iPod killer which will probably end up being another UMPC that no body wants and MS still hasn't learned.

How no arcade games have come out forever, way to go MS.

How nothing on marketplace is ever on time. MS is batting 0 for 25.

Has anyone seen anything on Blu Ray? How does it look compared to HD DVD?

Getting new people like me on the show.

There are other topics but they are covered just about everywhere. I'd like to hear more about stories that are not so common knowledge and thus not reported everywhere in the world.

sprsk

since were gonna record in a few hours i figure id bump this for some more ideas. also to let everyone know 11 eastern 12 tokyo time.

Top Bottom