• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies hitting the West [Digital Only Confirmed]

Noi

Does your hardware just break all the fuckin time, or what? The main reason people freak out about all this is because "oh god what if it breaks what if I lose it" and man these have GOT to be fringe cases, aren't they? I sure as hell don't go through hardware every other week. It sucks when it happens, but if the issue is that it's a bit inconvenient to resolve if it does, is that really worth all this hullabaloo? It sucks if you lose it, absolutely, I won't defend Nintendo on that system. But if it breaks, just send it in, get it fixed. To not buy stuff because you want to "handle your broken hardware differently" is stretching the limits of credulity here.

It sure is nice living in a region where you officially get supported by Nintendo. In my case, I don't live in the US, but I still have to send in any repairs to the US repair centers, which makes repairs incredibly expensive. At that point, I may as well buy a brand new piece of hardware that hasn't broken on me yet, but Nintendo won't give me that option at the expense of losing all my digital games.

Like I said, having only a single option to handle my broken hardware is great.

You know that lost item police reports are an actual thing, right? And in fact they use the same forms as stolen property reports in a lot of places?

If I go to my police station to file a report for "something I lost", I'd get laughed out of the station.

Marcel

Does your hardware just break all the fuckin time, or what? The main reason people freak out about all this is because "oh god what if it breaks what if I lose it" and man these have GOT to be fringe cases, aren't they? I sure as hell don't go through hardware every other week. It sucks when it happens, but if the issue is that it's a bit inconvenient to resolve if it does, is that really worth all this hullabaloo? It sucks if you lose it, absolutely, I won't defend Nintendo on that system. But if it breaks, just send it in, get it fixed. To not buy stuff because you want to "handle your broken hardware differently" is stretching the limits of credulity here.

They are probably afraid the game will bomb. They'll do DD only and then probably a small run of collectors copies later so everyone doesn't bitch and moan and they aren't liable for 100k+ copies not selling.

Correct.

Obviously this is a business decision. If Capcom thought they could make sufficient profit on retail, they would have announced it.

Guess they just don't want to sink the costs of manufacturing a set amount and distribution.

Digital-only = No wasted units. The potential savings from such a move, in Capcom's situation, could be significant.

Sendou

If you lost your console you would lost "one" game, unless you bring you games everywhere and lost them too.

Is clearly not the same....

f9OFLhg.jpg

Unless you have one of these. Oh the horror.

Funny how Virtues last reward can have extensive voice acting and be released on the 3DS/Vita yet Phoenix Wright is "dead" in the west.

I still don't find it amusing how they didn't give enough fucks to release 999 in Europe.

Kunan

Not gonna deny, they need to fix their account system. Phoenix Wright is worth being the 1 risk you make though!

Hasney

Just really hope it gets the same care and attention in the localisation as the DS games did even thought it's digital only. If so, then I'm more than fine with this.

Sandfox

If it was stolen, sure. Fill a police report away. But they require you to get a police report even if you yourself lost the 3DS. So what, now I have to lie to the police to get my games back?

Aren't you supposed to fill out police reports when you lose something like that? Serious question.

Fire Emblem Awakening did reasonably because I suppose a lot of people were desperate when they could not find retail or got the special edition but Phoenix Wright is certainly no where near that popular. I hope it can do well as a digital only title, and I suspect they will indeed lower their expectations.

I guess the problem is, the average consumer (who is even aware they can buy games digitally) probably assumes it works like every other account system from the past 10 years and doesn't know they'd potentially lose all their games if anything happened to their system.

Well apparently MH did well on the Eshop and Phoenix Wright is a bit more popular than that so it could do pretty well for itself.

Digital only? Fuck sakes, i hate paying £40 for 3DS games... Well I guess it's better than nothing though

I am not buying any 3DS game for that amount; even physical (thank you based Amazon UK), so with digital-only, I'm sorry but AA5 is in the backburner until eShop sales or something.

Risette

A Good Citizen
If you lost your console it's likely you'd lose game cartridges (in fact I'd say it's easier to lose the cartridges by themselves since they're smaller) you wouldn't get it back either. Don't pretend that it being tied to hardware makes it worse than retail because of the risk of losing your console.
There's other reasons to prefer retail over digital but everytime someone cites that as a reason I facepalm hard. Because it's doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Yeah, because losing one cart inside your unit and maybe three inside your case is totally comparable to an entire digital library.

"it sucks when it happens but it never actually happens so not an issue!"

You've got this all figured out.

Gartooth

I own both a 3DS and 3DS XL so it does blow that I can only play this on one system and can't transfer between both at will.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
It sure is nice living in a region where you officially get supported by Nintendo. In my case, I don't live in the US, but I still have to send in any repairs to the US repair centers, which makes repairs incredibly expensive. At that point, I may as well buy a brand new piece of hardware that hasn't broken on me yet, but Nintendo won't give me that option at the expense of losing all my digital games.

Like I said, having only a single option to handle my broken hardware is great.

I can absolutely only speak for my region. If yours is indeed that kind of shitstorm, then yes, that sure does suck. Sorry dude.

"it sucks when it happens but it never actually happens so not an issue!"

You've got this all figured out.

Well I said I'm not defending the loss issue, but for broken systems? Yep, you've pretty much got my number. I bricked my Wii and sent it in and lost all my save data and it was horrible, but they sent it back with the eshop account fully intact. Shitty situation all around, but I didn't lose anything I bought.

Also: if we're talkin theft here, I'd be relying more on insurance claims to reimburse you for the value of what was stolen to just re-buy everything anyway. Sometimes shit gets stolen or destroyed, and that's what insurance is for. Worked just fine when I lost all my N64 games in a flood.

McNum

Digital Only? Aw, I like having the boxes.

How big is a 3DS game on an SD card? I suppose it varies, but I'm wondering if I should upgrade my SD card at some point. What's the biggest SD card a 3DS can handle, anyway?

Midou

If you lost your console you would lost "one" game, unless you bring you games everywhere and lost them too.

Is clearly not the same....

Uh, exactly this. I doubt 99% of people use those special pouches filled with games where you put your system, so not relevant at all. If you lost your system and 1 game, but you have $200-300 of digital games on there, that is far worse than losing your system, buying a new one, and having access to all your cartridges. Hell, if the account system wasn't pre-2000 you could just dl the games on your new system.

I'll be buying but I really am disappointed in not having a physical copy since I bought all of my DS copies Day 1.

Maybe I'll import AA5 for the box but meh, it's not the same.

Javier

If I go to my police station to file a report for "something I lost", I'd get laughed out of the station.
Why? Filing a "Lost Item" report is perfectly legal.

You may file a lost property police report using the CSUN Police online reporting system if your lost property meets one or more of the following criteria:

The lost item you are reporting is state-owned property.
Or you plan to have your lost item replaced and must submit a police report to your insurance company.
Or you have a serial number or owner-applied serial number for your lost item.
Or you are reporting an item valued at $950.00 or more with or without a serial number.
The bolded fits the 3DS.

Hybrid897

I have a U.S region 3DS despite living in Australia because I don't want to put up with Nintendos region locking bullshit and wait years to play games that are released in the States first. Will I still be able to download this?

Just change the system location to Canada Alberta (Lowest Tax). It'll ask for a valid postcode however it does not seem to check this. I live in Aus and I've gotten all my games digitally for my NTSC 3DS with an Australian debit card.

Roto13

Aren't you supposed to fill out police reports when you lose something like that? Serious question.

Well it's not like the law or anything, but yeah, the forms are for "lost or stolen property" for a reason.

Yeah, because losing one cart inside your unit and maybe three inside your case is totally comparable to an entire digital library.

The difference is you can actually get your digital games back, unlike those four retail games you lose.

As far as "safety" goes, it's Sony/Microsoft/PC digital > Nintendo digital> Retail.

Seronei

I've never lost any of my games due to hardware breaking in all fairness.

You can also recover the games if your hardware breaks, although it takes some extra steps. I'm very much hoping they fix their online system since it's clearly inferior to Sony's and Microsoft's. But I don't see how people see it as making the game unbuyable.

Tiktaalik

I guess I'm waiting for the inevitable(?) iOS release. I'll buy digital only on iOS, but not eShop for obvious no account system reasons.

Shahadan

The only thing it changes for me is I'm now going to have to wait for official release day and spend more money. Otherwise I'm okay with this.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Digital only? On Nintendo's shitty network? Fuck that shit! I'm not spending $40 on a game I can't even keep the save of if I delete it. Why won't there be at least one physical printing??

Marcel

If anyone is afraid of losing your 3DS or whatever, just do what people with actual valuables do: Buy a reliable safe and put your digital library in there every night. Problem solved. :p

GSR

Damn, wasn't expecting word until E3, and then release until next year.

Digital-only is disappointing - guess that cements me getting a physical copy of GS5.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Would of course have prefered a retail release, but I take digital only over not coming at all.
At least it makes it easier to import.

Coming off of Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen this month I find it somewhat hilarious/sad/backwards that Capcom presses tens of thousands of discs for a 3 hour expansion that could easily be relegated to digital distribution and act all poopie on the retail distribution of a small scale 3DS title in the west.

Vamphuntr

I hope the build in the trailer is a work in progress. It seems to use a new awful font because the text box doesn't appear to be expanded in this one. Previous AA localizations had an expanded text box compared to the Japanese release to fit the text in (the text box ix much bigger in the localized versions).

Here what I mean with examples :

10iXM2T.jpg
Q0WwjCh.jpg

and here is the screen posted by Linkstrikesback

Hopefully it's only for the trailer or a WIP because it looks weird.

Marcel

Coming off of Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen this month I find it somewhat hilarious/sad/backwards that Capcom presses tens of thousands of discs for a 3 hour expansion that could easily be relegated to digital distribution and act all poopie on the retail distribution of a small scale 3DS title in the west.

eQmXg2e.gif

SuperSah

Banned
I'll buy it.

You're all acting as if the eShop is an unreliable service which steals your money and doesn't give you the game.

Digital or not, it'll be downloaded day one.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Personally I bought AA3 and AA4 and haven't played either yet because I stalled on AA2 so I wasn't a great candidate to buy AA5. This is a bummer. I'm assuming Capcom has some sort of internal economics that show that this is a substantially less risky proposition for them. I don't blame them, but it's a bummer that there was no way to make a retail release work. Hopefully whatever causes (minimum order number, retailers being gunshy, manufacturing fees) got in their way gets addressed going forward.

Does your internet just go down all the fuckin time, or what? The main reason people freak out about all this is because "oh god what if it goes down what if i'm moving and have no internet" and man these have GOT to be fringe cases, aren't they? I sure as hell don't have my internet go down every other week. It sucks when it happens, but if the issue is that it's a bit inconvenient to wait for it to resolve if it does, is that really worth all this hullabaloo? It sucks if their servers go down, absolutely, I won't defend [Microsoft/Ubisoft/Blizzard/whatever] on that system. But if your internet goes down, just call your ISP, get it fixed. To not buy stuff because you want to "handle your internet connectivity differently" is stretching the limits of credulity here.

Sadist

Yeah. This is another thing I am pretty concerned about as we head into another generation.
It's been concerning ever since third parties on 3DS "need" Nintendo to give them the final push.

I can't imagine what will happen in the console scene.

Comandr

Before this announcement, buying the game was going to be a no-brainer. Now I'm not so sure. Why would you have to make this difficult Capcom?

Eh, I'm not sure if I will buy it now since I want physical copy.

Ugh, this is terrible. I'll probably just ignore it now. Your loss, Capcom.

I'm out until Nintendo fixes the eShop shenanigans.

Sorry Capcom!

See, this is a problem that's self perpetuating, and for the time being, all we can do is lay blame on Nintendo.

It occurs to me, and I stated this in a post earlier, that Capcom doesn't want to spend the money on this self-published title to produce a full retail box when it's going to cost them such a great amount, whereas digital will cost them next to nothing. It makes it worth the translation and localization.

Now they potentially look at DD sales as through the floor because all of the sticklers aren't willing to make the jump because of a poor DD system through Nintendo (Lack of unified account etc. [Which we already know is being worked on!]

I would say a good HALF of the people in this thread are unwilling to buy the digital copy in this circumstance. Now lets blow that up to the target market as a whole. If Capcom was hoping for maybe 300-500,000 digital sales in the west, and that number just got slashed in half, that might dissuade them from ever releasing further games in the series due to lack of interest.

I get the whole "no guarantee" thing with losing your games.

But you know, the freeway I use to go to work every day has a speed limit of 70, which means people are going easily 10 faster than that. I could get in a horrible car accident and die at any time, but I take that risk every day because its the fastest and most effective way for me to travel to and from work.

So right now until Nintendo gets their shit together and gets a unified system in place, there is no guarantee that your games are totally safe. So you're just going to boycott the series you love and have been anticipating in the meantime?

Just like on the road, you do your best to combat dangers; be aware of the situation, and keep track of the important things. You keep yourself and your electronics safe the same way. Don't play 3DS in the bathtub. If you live in a house with a lot of people, keep your stuff private. Bad things sometimes happen though, and that's why you get on the phone and make some calls to have things replaced and fixed as best as possible.

"Your loss Capcom?" No, the only ones losing here are us, the players.

Top Bottom