• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announces Attack on Titan arcade project

MokocchiBro

Neo Member
I can see this being like Gunslinger Stratos arcade machines only replace the dual guns with maneuver gear equipment. Could be a cool idea if done right.

Cipherr

1lCy6lV.gif

Really? Doesn't that mediocre anime already have a Vita and a DS game? Is it really so popular that it can support an arcade game too? I suppose so if they are pursuing it but... man...

TreIII

I can see this being like Gunslinger Stratos arcade machines only replace the dual guns with maneuver gear equipment. Could be a cool idea if done right.

Yeah, again, Byking (Gundam Vs., Gunslinger Stratos) is pretty much the only party I could see being able to make an arcade game of this type and doing it well.

The only question would again be if they are available. Between continued updates of Gundam Vs. and Gunslinger Stratos, they wouldn't have a shortage of work already on their plates.

Lernaean

Banned
Capcom should focus on making games that people who don't live in Japan might be able to play, so maybe they'll make some money from them.
But that would be way too logical right?

Maybe its going to be an attack on titan fighting game?

Nah most likely it will be on an rail action game or something like that.

Tizoc

Capcom should focus on making games that people who don't live in Japan might be able to play, so maybe they'll make some money from them.
But that would be way too logical right?

You're asking a Japanese company not to give focus to its own market? They're doing what any Japanese video game developer is doing, which so far has been the logical thing.

the important thing to ask is will it answer the most important questions of AoT.

1. why are there titans

2. why do they eat people

seriously, this manga has been going on for how the fuck long and they still haven't clearly answered those questions. oh and that basement.

In all seriousness im hoping for a fightman game or something along the lines of a AoT game in the style of asura's wraith but in the arcade

Tizoc

the important thing to ask is will it answer the most important questions of AoT.

1. why are there titans

2. why do they eat people

seriously, this manga has been going on for how the fuck long and they still haven't clearly answered those questions. oh and that basement.

In all seriousness im hoping for a fightman game or something along the lines of a AoT game in the style of asura's wraith but in the arcade

Isn't the manga ending soon?
As for your 2nd question I kinda have a theory for that
it is revealed that devouring Erin will give one the power to command Titans so maybe all this time Titans have been eating humans for the dim chance to become the leading Alpha Titan. As to why titans exist, dunno if it had been answered yet in the manga though, I hadn't caught up =X

katagai

If only Capcom had a game engine they could use that allowed the player to scale buildings and fight titans like in the anime....

i7dNYAATq1h7J.gif

FourMyle

If this were Capcom of old I would have been extremely hyped. Nowadays though, eh. I hope it's good and if it is I hope they bring it to consoles. Putting absolutely no hope into this though.

Not sure how arcade game announcements are typically treated, but would these ever be ported to consoles? I suppose if it's more of a customized machine with physical interactivity, it will be difficult to do so.

Mesoian

If only Capcom had a game engine they could use that allowed the player to scale buildings and fight titans like in the anime....

i7dNYAATq1h7J.gif

Yes, if only they had a game engine that allowed for simultaneous multiplayer involving teamwork, swinging around on cables and fighting giant monsters.

If only...

lost-planet-2-railcannon-o.gif

TreIII

Not sure how arcade game announcements are typically treated, but would these ever be ported to consoles? I suppose if it's more of a customized machine with physical interactivity, it will be difficult to do so.

Likely will depend on a) exactly what kind of game this is and b) Capcom's long term plans for said game.

But main thing is, if Capcom has any aspirations of making a consumer version at all, we likely wouldn't be clued in until anywhere from 6-12 months after the game has been in arcades.

Lernaean

Banned
You're asking a Japanese company not to give focus to its own market? They're doing what any Japanese video game developer is doing, which so far has been the logical thing.

No, i'm asking Capcom to be Capcom, an international gaming behemoth that once tried to be the japanese EA.
Capcom has a huge worldwide fanbase, their REmake port rocked the charts, they have seen where the money is, but they make lite MMOs with reused last gen assets and arcade only games.
Capcom, after decades of presence, and much significance if i may add, is acting like they are searching for their identity, spending millions on making a mobile department, them spending on a new engine, then making MMO lite using the previous engine and lately making two arcade games that are bound to stay arcade and Japan only.
They have a huge problem with management and that's obvious.

Tizoc

No, i'm asking Capcom to be Capcom, an international gaming behemoth that once tried to be the japanese EA.
Capcom has a huge worldwide fanbase, their REmake port rocked the charts, they have seen where the money is, but they make lite MMOs with reused last gen assets and arcade only games.
Capcom has whacko ass expectations of how many units their games should sell, unless we have an actual figure of how well REmake sold, for all Capcom Japan cares it may as well has underperformed in their eyes.

Capcom, after decades of presence, and much significance if i may add, is acting like they are searching for their identity, spending millions on making a mobile department, them spending on a new engine, then making MMO lite using the previous engine and lately making two arcade games that are bound to stay arcade and Japan only.
I'd like this game to get a western release too, but you gotta live with the fact that most stuff from Japan may never see the light of localization. If this does get localized, cool, but ya know what? GAFfers would still complain about it because it is not the game they want.

Mind you Capcom isn't the only one doing this; many Japanese devs are, S-E, Konami has games available only in Japan, SEGA.
You could apply what you posted to them and I'd still tell you: They're Japanese companies focusing mainly on their own market, with worldwide/western releases being at worst an afterthought.

Producer

Which other arcade only games?

Also, lets ignore that they're working on SF5, DMC 4: SE, Revelations 2, Great Ace Attorney, Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi, Dragons Dogma Online and Deep Down. Lets just reduce it to them making 'MMO lites' lol

Tizoc

Also, lets ignore that they're working on SF5, DMC 4: SE, Revelations 2, Great Ace Attorney, Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi, Dragons Dogma Online and Deep Down. Lets just reduce it to them making 'MMO lites' lol

I just feel like they're gonna announce localized Dai Gyakuten Saiban this E3, but that's prob. just me wanting more AA in my life lol.

caleb1915

I feel dumb, but what is Attack on Titan?

It's a fairly recent anime/manga that's gotten extremely popular over here in the States after it blew up in Japan a couple of years ago. It's extremely dark, and does a lot of things with story development that's meant to be disturbing to the viewer. Basically it's about the last survivors of humanity living behind these three walls (Sina, Maria, Rosa) after an overwhelming number of gigantic unintelligiblehumanoids suddenly appeared without warning, began to eat every person they could get their hands on, and nearly wiped them out.

They've been living inside the walls for nearly 100 years without a Titan getting through, the anime starts with these new types of intelligent Titans getting past the walls. Which basically causes the entire region between the first two walls (which is hundreds of kilometers) to be completely lost. Since they can't fight back due to the sheer number of Titans, their strength, regeneration abilities, and the incredibly precise way they have to be killed; every single point of offense they've ever taken has ended in nearly total losses.

It was mostly due to the anime that it's gotten so huge now. There's going to be a live action movie this year.

It's a fairly recent anime/manga that's gotten extremely popular over here in the States after it blew up in Japan a couple of years ago. It's extremely dark, and does a lot of things with story development that's meant to be disturbing to the viewer. Basically it's about the last survivors of humanity living behind these three walls (Sina, Maria, Rosa) after an overwhelming number of gigantic unintelligiblehumanoids suddenly appeared without warning, began to eat every person they could get their hands on, and nearly wiped them out.

They've been living inside the walls for nearly 100 years without a Titan getting through, the anime starts with these new types of intelligent Titans getting past the walls. Which basically causes the entire region between the first two walls (which is hundreds of kilometers) to be completely lost. Since they can't fight back due to the sheer number of Titans, their strength, regeneration abilities, and the incredibly precise way they have to be killed; every single point of offense they've ever taken has ended in nearly total losses.

It was mostly due to the anime that it's gotten so huge now. There's going to be a live action movie this year.

the people in the city also live in fear of horrible show pacing.

TheOGB

Banned
Well that was unexpected

i7dNYAATq1h7J.gif
Yes, if only they had a game engine that allowed for simultaneous multiplayer involving teamwork, swinging around on cables and fighting giant monsters.

If only...
yes if only they had a really cool mechanic in games where you can climb on giant enemies and stab them.

If only
oh my

Lernaean

Banned

DDO is an MMO lite, unfortunately imo as i love DD. They also make Luigi Mansion from the arcade only perspective. We all know Rev2 is just filler as they should focus in optimizing their new engine, then release Deep Down and then work full force on RE7.
Also DMC4SE is one of my most anticipated games this year, but let's not fool ourselves, Capcom does have management issues that won't be solved with an enhanced port of one of their best action games.
Last but not least, it's pretty obvious that SFV is co-funded. I have no idea where the project would be if no one stepped in to throw money on the table.
Don't get me wrong, i love Attack on Titan, and i am a literal Capcom fanboy, but their lack of direction is obvious.

Tizoc

DDO is an MMO lite, unfortunately imo as i love DD. They also make Luigi Mansion from the arcade only perspective. We all know Rev2 is just filler as they should focus in optimizing their new engine, then release Deep Down and then work full force on RE7.
Also DMC4SE is one of my most anticipated games this year, but let's not fool ourselves, Capcom does have management issues that won't be solved with an enhanced port of one of their best action games.
Last but not least, it's pretty obvious that SFV is co-funded. I have no idea where the project would be if no one stepped in to throw money on the table.
Don't get me wrong, i love Attack on Titan, and i am a literal Capcom fanboy, but their lack of direction is obvious.

No offense but your use of 'lack of direction' sound to me like 'they're not doing the things I want them to do, so I'm disappointed in them'.

Wait till we find out it's a card game.

That's what I've been wondering about lol. Heck one of my first thoughts when I read the announcement was: Is it an action or a card game, cuz they got arcade cabinets for that.

Top Bottom