• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announces Attack on Titan arcade project

Lernaean

Banned
No offense but your use of 'lack of direction' sound to me like 'they're not doing the things I want them to do, so I'm disappointed in them'.

No offense but you have trouble understanding my post. I hate mobile gaming but if they focused on it i wouldn't say they lack direction, i'd just be pissed. Also, they're actually making a handfull of projects i like, and i expressed that in my post.
The problem is that right now they aren't focusing on anything, they're just hitting here and there. This is lack of focus.

Squishy3

Well, I guess they're saved, then. Attack on Titan prints money.

Only in Japan. What arcades are actually going to have this outside the east or west coast? That's not a complaint either. Every arcade I use to go to shutdown or became a pizza buffet for kids with arcade machines made by SEGA.

Dave & Busters rather have Fast & Furious up and running and Ghost Squad from the last time I checked.
I don't think you know how much arcade machines cost nowadays. Declining patronage for arcades in the US and how expensive they are ensures very few Western arcades will get new releases. A Taito type X2 setup with SF4 back when it first came out was like 17k, IIRC, because you needed two of them to have a complete setup.

Your average arcade like Dave and Busters or Gameworks also is likely not going to have the hardware this game runs on and wouldn't be able to just buy the board. (Bigger Gameworks like the one in Seattle might but again, no guarantee they'd get the game.)

caleb1915

the people in the city also live in fear of horrible show pacing.

Well yeah that's a given when you adapt a manga that releases once every 3 months and you have episodes weekly. By the year the anime came out there were only two more issues of the manga that had about 8 episodes worth of new content.

But you're right it's pretty bad how often the characters will spend time twiddling their thumbs about how horrible everything is. The movie that just got released a couple of months ago is a retelling up to the battle of trost with new animation, new editing, and new voice acting. The pace is much better.

caleb1915

No offense but you have trouble understanding my post. I hate mobile gaming but if they focused on it i wouldn't say they lack direction, i'd just be pissed. Also, they're actually making a handfull of projects i like, and i expressed that in my post.
The problem is that right now they aren't focusing on anything, they're just hitting here and there. This is lack of focus.

It reminds me of the business behavior of Crytek before everything there started to become a disaster financial wise.

Yes, if only they had a game engine that allowed for simultaneous multiplayer involving teamwork, swinging around on cables and fighting giant monsters.

If only...

lost-planet-2-railcannon-o.gif

yes if only they had a really cool mechanic in games where you can climb on giant enemies and stab them.

If only

the pieces are in place

your move, capcom

Producer

I dunno, they seem on point to me. They announced REmake, SF5, and DMC4:SE (DmC Remastered too) in less than a year. They established Capcom Cup for their fans, been great at supporting Ultra, etc. MH4U just launched today, Rev2 coming to a shitload of platforms. They seem to be doing well from the perspective of a fan (me).

Tizoc

What should their focus be then, as a Japanese developer?

Lernaean

Banned
What should their focus be then, as a Japanese developer?

Imo they should finish optimizing their engine, start releasing their high profile games, like RE7 and DMC5, along with a real current gen DD game so they can secure their money makers, and at the other hand focus on the FGC, hear them out, make the best out of SFV and if possible start pushing a second FG, so they can focus on console/PC action games and arcade FGs.
But that's all my opinion, and i'm not saying that it's the right thing to do, but trying to hit everything and hope one is successful is not an indication of good management.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I feel dumb, but what is Attack on Titan?

Attack on Titan is a popular action manga/anime. It's about the last survivors of the human race living behind three massive walls, trying to keep out the Titans, giant creepy-looking humanoid monsters that eat people. The most effective way to kill titans with their roughly 1800s level of technology is to use 3D Maneuver Gear to spiderman their way around the titans to strike their weak point with their blades.

It could make for a really cool video game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Well, I guess they're saved, then. Attack on Titan prints money.

I don't think you know how much arcade machines cost nowadays. Declining patronage for arcades in the US and how expensive they are ensures very few Western arcades will get new releases. A Taito type X2 setup with SF4 back when it first came out was like 17k, IIRC, because you needed two of them to have a complete setup.

Your average arcade like Dave and Busters or Gameworks also is likely not going to have the hardware this game runs on and wouldn't be able to just buy the board. (Bigger Gameworks like the one in Seattle might but again, no guarantee they'd get the game.)

I know they cost a fortune. The arcade that I asked had SFIV running on a coin operated machine that was hooked into a console. They were charging for time instead of a continue. The HDTV screen and audio system alone are way more advanced than they ever have been. I went to Las Vegas and saw a Tekken 6 machine up in New York-New York back in 2008. The cost was a $1 for a continue. It's insane. I wondered why the Walmart up here got rid of their Batmobile arcade machine. It might of cost them a fortune without the payout. If you aren't seeing the business you aren't going to throw 10k into buying a new machine. I'd say arcades made up for it back in the 90s with fighting games. I remember when Aladdin's Castle got in TTT. They had all sorts of people showing up to play it. Consoles and so forth have made it almost impossible to make a profit unless you have a couple thousand people visiting every single day of the week. I was a frequent arcade goer at one point in my life and sometimes I'd be 1 out of maybe 3 people (2 of them staff) at a 2 story arcade. They ended up tearing down the entire arcade and turning it into a Raising Canes restaurant.

Top Bottom