• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Buy our latest test game - Biohazard ~Dark Side Chronicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
duckroll said:
That picture was fucking disgusting, and I hope we never see something like that again. :p

I didn't see what was posted, but wasn't it a pic of the Biohazard find-the-fake-body-parts contest that Capcom ran in Europe??

I saw pics from the contest and they didn't look that bad. Funny thing is that a few of the hidden props weren't recovered, so someone has some souvenirs!

(Reminds me of the making of The Resurrected movie in the 90s, when some of the body parts floated downriver during an overnight flood. The small-town locals called the cops and... well, hilarity ensued.)

Drek

Vinci said:
I'm pretty sure the 'develop on this and lose lots of money' option was provided by the other two companies, not Nintendo. ;)
I don't think Capcom is doing so awful bad with their PS3/360/PC multi-plat release format.

I agree that 3rd parties are free to put their games wherever they deem best, but for people to blame Nintendo for how 3rd parties have basically ignored the Wii - despite the benefits it provides them - is stupid. Nintendo has released plenty of games on the thing and have shown that its audience is varied, while games like PES have shown that pretty much any genre can be done on the thing - and even better, when people actually try.

That won't be true in every case, but to suggest its untrue in every case is to rewrite history.
It is on Nintendo though. They aren't going what is needed to fill in the big gaping holes in the system's library.

But as you just said, money is very key. So why would Nintendo go out of their way to deliver fan service to the hardcore demographic? They've seen the last two generations that Nintendo fans are going to buy the system as long as they throw a Mario or Zelda out reasonably close to launch. So why spend more money on that demographic when it won't help move systems and the games themselves would need to sell very well to recoup costs?

They've got no motivation because Nintendo fans aren't going anywhere, so instead Nintendo focuses all their efforts on bringing in more casuals. That high percentage of casuals meanwhile scares away companies when they begin pre-production on a "hardcore" style of game that they plan on giving a significant budget to.

I swear all the Nintendo fans have forgotten why the Gamecube even got RE4 in the first place. Nintendo stepped up and basically bought an exclusivity deal from Capcom for a bunch of RE titles, including 4. They did the same thing with Metal Gear Twin Snakes. Until they do the same thing on the Wii it'll always get the second tier of new development, because while it has the biggest userbase no 3rd parties trust that it has enough serious gamers to buy their products, or that their products can necessarily crack a Nintendo dominated market. Combine the two and you got a recipe for a lot of "casual friendly" side game releases.

Chinner

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
If Xbox 360 owners are willing to play compromised versions of PC games, I'm sure Wii owners will live with a compromised RE5.
sexychengong.gif

markatisu

Drek said:
They've got no motivation because Nintendo fans aren't going anywhere, so instead Nintendo focuses all their efforts on bringing in more casuals. That high percentage of casuals meanwhile scares away companies when they begin pre-production on a "hardcore" style of game that they plan on giving a significant budget to.

I swear all the Nintendo fans have forgotten why the Gamecube even got RE4 in the first place. Nintendo stepped up and basically bought an exclusivity deal from Capcom for a bunch of RE titles, including 4. They did the same thing with Metal Gear Twin Snakes. Until they do the same thing on the Wii it'll always get the second tier of new development, because while it has the biggest userbase no 3rd parties trust that it has enough serious gamers to buy their products, or that their products can necessarily crack a Nintendo dominated market. Combine the two and you got a recipe for a lot of "casual friendly" side game releases.

So your saying Nintendo needs to moneyhat all of its games

That worked so well last gen when Capcom defected RE4 to the PS2 before the GC version was done

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Cow Mengde said:
If Xbox 360 owners are willing to play compromised versions of PC games, I'm sure Wii owners will live with a compromised RE5.
Ha ha, you say that as if those situations are comparable. The average 360 -> PC port simply allows for higher resolutions and smoother performance. Assets (textures, models, etc) rarely see any upgrade. It's a very nice improvement, but the game itself remains the same.

With a Wii port, however, you could not simply run the original at a lower resolution with a lower framerate. You'd have to completely recreate all of the assets for the lower spec hardware and likely modify many significant aspects of the game functionality.

I know why you made that comment, but it's pretty off base. Furthermore, unfortunately, many recent PC ports have actually been inferior to their console releases.

DNF

Alcibiades said:
fixed

THAT is a major point. New mainline games are superbly awesome, and with them side games provide a great complementary experience. Alone, even new side games aren't the same. Yeah, the very tiny portion of multiplatform owners are OK with it, but the majority of core Wii-only owners are going to take more into account the "RE side game" than "new RE" part.

yeah, they should have just avoided this backlash by saying something like "wii resident evil fans will be happy next week, but it isn't a mainline game."

last RE i played was 3 i believe, and a new lightgun-shooter and 2 "old" games with wii-pointer control definitely sounds interesting. But sure a RE5 announcement would have been more appreciated.

Vinci

Danish
Drek said:
I don't think Capcom is doing so awful bad with their PS3/360/PC multi-plat release format.

I know, but we weren't speaking about Capcom explicitly in that discussion. Just gaming in general. I've even said the same about Capcom specifically earlier in this thread.

It is on Nintendo though. They aren't going what is needed to fill in the big gaping holes in the system's library.

They're not going to moneyhat many projects - and why? Because they shouldn't have to. They have the #1 system on the planet, it's at least half as costly to develop for than the competition, during a time period when developers and publishers are losing money hand over fist and/or being shuttered. How is it on Nintendo? Do they have to hold every 3rd party's hand till they're prepared to make wise economic decisions? These are companies - they should be making sound business decisions from the start, not attempting to see who can render the most hairs in a character's mustache.

As for 'cracking a Nintendo dominated market,' they should probably get used to trying sooner rather than later. Whether they're on the Wii or not, they're competing with them. And currently? They're losing.

Ha ha, you say that as if those situations are comparable. The average 360 -> PC port simply allows for higher resolutions and smoother performance. Assets (textures, models, etc) rarely see any upgrade. It's a very nice improvement, but the game itself remains the same.

You forgot better controls. Better frame rate + better controls makes the game more... PLAYABLE.

Also, about Nintendo money hatting RE4, how do we know that? I mean, if they money hat the game, wouldn't that have kept RE4 100% exclusive no matter what? I just assume there's a contract with the money hat. Otherwise, what's to prevent companies from taking money hats, and then turn around and port it to another for more money?

Zenith

Banned
TheCardPlayer said:
:lol Such incredible effort from Cavia and Capcom. I'd bet this is Leon's RE2 skin from 4.

It is. that's why the knife position has changed from re2 and why he has a flashlight on his belt.

Linkup

Looks pretty good actually. The trailer seems to point to playing certain parts with your character in view, which could lead to some interesting elements. A rail shooter with some meat on its bones isn't nearly has bad as some think it is. I hope when they say easier they mean more intuitive, REUC wasn't exactly a challenge.

Alcibiades

dark10x said:
So you're saying you want a compromised RE5 then?
YES YES YES

If it's a major effort (A-team, 2years development time, large budget), then yes, I'll take that compromise anyday.

Just make it look as good as this gun-game and lots of Wii-only owners would be very appreciative.

dark10x

Cow Mengde said:
You forgot better controls. Better frame rate + better controls makes the game more... PLAYABLE.
Ah, well, as I use the same display for all gaming, I tend to use an XBOX360 pad with most PC games. The PC offers CONTROL OPTIONS, which is always a plus. The games themselves, however, are fully in tact.

You're simply grasping at straws here if you are really trying to suggest that PC->360 ports really have anything in common with 360->Wii "ports".

I cant believe this, this is the biggest tease Capcom has ever done. They have recreated RE2 with beautiful updated graphics, amazing looking character models and what do they do, THEY MAKE IT A DAMN ON RAILS SHOOTER! Go to hell capcom.

The entire remake is right there, we are looking at it, why the hell did they make it an on rails shooter. I am more upset now that I see that this game actually had effort put into it, effort that should have went to a new remake. It looks stunning for a wii game, the addition of seeing the characters changes so. Its incredible really, so sad its just an on rails shooter. I am sure it will be great, I want to play it but damn you capcom for giving us the biggest tease we will ever get.

Christopher

Alcibiades said:
YES YES YES

If it's a major effort (A-team, 2years development time, large budget), then yes, I'll take that compromise anyday.

Just make it look as good as this gun-game and lots of Wii-only owners would be very appreciative.

Keep Dreaming

beje

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
I cant believe this, this is the biggest tease Capcom has ever done. They have recreated RE2 with beautiful updated graphics, amazing looking character models and what do they do, THEY MAKE IT A DAMN ON RAILS SHOOTER! Go to hell capcom.

The entire remake is right there, we are looking at it, why the hell did they make it an on rails shooter. I am more upset now that I see that this game actually had effort put into it, effort that should have went to a new remake. It looks stunning for a wii game, the addition of seeing the characters changes so. Its incredible really, so sad its just an on rails shooter. I am sure it will be great, I want to play it but damn you capcom for giving us the biggest tease we will ever get.

The worst part of the whole set is how they will manage to rip and tear the intrincate RE2 and RE:CV different storylines, secondary characters, varied settings and areas and story background to make them fit a 30 minutes scenario each one where half the time goes away looking at a camera moving by itself in empty corridors. It really makes me wanna cry.

Alcibiades said:
YES YES YES

This is fucking ridiculous. Why would you want a chopped up, downgraded version of a game two years after its original release? Chop Till You Drop was awful.

Vinci

Danish
BrandNew said:
This is fucking ridiculous. Why would you want a chopped up, downgraded version of a game two years after its original release? Chop Till You Drop was awful.

I don't think it met any of the criteria he laid out.

Cow Mengde said:
Also, about Nintendo money hatting RE4, how do we know that? I mean, if they money hat the game, wouldn't that have kept RE4 100% exclusive no matter what? I just assume there's a contract with the money hat. Otherwise, what's to prevent companies from taking money hats, and then turn around and port it to another for more money?
It was a money hat. The Capcom 5 was a big one. I'm sure that there were clauses in the contract that came with it that had stipulations on exclusivity - specifically, that the Nintendo would have to have sold through a certain number of Gamecubes to keep exclusivity.

I think that this is the same reason that we're able to see Final Fantasy XIII on 360 as well as the PS3. Possibly other properties like DMC4.

v0yce

morningbus said:
You've just unintentionally opened up the Keyboard/Mouse vs. Gamepad debate.

Well the whole reason there is a debate at all is because there's not much of a difference. (whereas there is no debate as to how something like Guitar Hero or DDR plays better in reference to the knuckleheads above). Regardless of mouse/kb or Wiimote pointing being better, the bazillion copies of dual analog using shooters flying off the shelves show that its not a big enough concern to detract the fun for people. And I'm talking in generalities here. I don't care if you (not you specifically) are one of the few special cases who actually somehow can't enjoy a dual analog shooter after experiencing RE4 Wii Edition.

Alcibiades said:
core Wii-only owners...

Have no one to blame but themselves. I'm sorry I don't know any other way to put it.

Rash said:
Watched the trailer.

Seriously, if they can do this, why couldn't they just have made it like RE4? Just put the perspective behind the character, let you control yourself freely, and there you go.

It looks good. I mean, it's RE2, but in rail-shooter form. That's not bad, it just doesn't seem necessary.

This seems really obvious to me, but a lot of other people seem to be echoing your statement so I can't tell if you guys understand or not.

A light gun game is not simply a 3rd person shooter on rails. Backing the view point up and letting you walk around is the least of their worries. The whole experience is tailored different. UC was all about small, quick segments, built for repeated play. No arena environments that allow you tackle the situation in different manners. No keys to collect. No puzzles to solve. No fight or flight choice. You're not running past this group of zombies until you find some more shotgun shells. You're going to have to shoot it out and you better be darn quick and efficient. You've got a few seconds and if you don't pop a couple of clean head shots you're getting bit. The style works well for the franchise IMO as it builds tension. Even with all it "lacks" from the other games, its shaper focus on the shooting and strong atmosphere still allow for a very enjoyable game.

bmf said:
It was a money hat. The Capcom 5 was a big one. I'm sure that there were clauses in the contract that came with it that had stipulations on exclusivity - specifically, that the Nintendo would have to have sold through a certain number of Gamecubes to keep exclusivity.

I think that this is the same reason that we're able to see Final Fantasy XIII on 360 as well as the PS3. Possibly other properties like DMC4.

Well, it goes back a bit further but it was reported that Square expected Sony to have hit a certain userbase level before they made the jump with the PSOne - in fact, I think it was mentioned in the PSOne retrospective in the current issue of Edge.

Vinci said:
They're not going to moneyhat many projects - and why? Because they shouldn't have to. They have the #1 system on the planet, it's at least half as costly to develop for than the competition, during a time period when developers and publishers are losing money hand over fist and/or being shuttered. How is it on Nintendo? Do they have to hold every 3rd party's hand till they're prepared to make wise economic decisions? These are companies - they should be making sound business decisions from the start, not attempting to see who can render the most hairs in a character's mustache.

The sense of entitlement here is ludicrous.

Vinci

Danish
v0yce said:
Well the whole reason there is a debate at all is because there's not much of a difference.

This has been shown many times relating to this debate. It cannot be done with analog sticks. There's no way. And this is just the tip of the iceberg considering how little time people have had to completely acclimate to pointer controls compared to the years and years devoted to mastering the dual-analog setup.

So yeah, I'd say there's a difference. The reason there is a debate is because there are numerous people who simply hate the Wii. And they wish to detract from its popularity however they can. Anyone seriously suggesting that IR pointing with the Wii isn't more accurate than analog is a joke. It kicks the hell out of it.

_leech_ said:
The sense of entitlement here is ludicrous.

I was explaining Nintendo's perspective on the situation? Though if you think they're entitled - I could see that.

dark10x

I was explaining Nintendo's perspective on the situation? Though if you think they're entitled - I could see that.
Yep, Nintendo is all business. That sure benefits us, the gamers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom