• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom lists six series as "powerful titles", includes Devil May Cry and Lost Planet

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Were that true, Mega Man should would presumably be listed, given it did 30 million.

Onimusha is also at 8 million, so both of these outclass Lost Planet.

Yes, but those are long dead franchises, imo they listed only the living ones on consoles.

I suspect they might still be making one, but in terms of bigger entries in the listed series: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

Dragon's Dogma: 1.3 million

Dragon's Dogma, being only one entry and the lowest seller, probably didn't earn a position on here.

Thanks for the info, makes sense when looking at all that I suppose.

I'll continue to hold out hope that Capcom puts out a sequel at some point.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yes, but those are long dead franchises, imo they listed only the living ones on consoles.

Which is what makes me think they're implying they're not dead.

I mean it kind of looks dumb to go "These six are our examples of power franchises that make up our competitive advantage. Also, two of them are dead. By god we suck at franchise management."

I wouldn't put it past Capcom to do that, but that's not the immediate impression I get from the slides.

LTWheels

Lost Planet? Really? I mean REALLY?

Who is at capcom that has the big stiffy for that IP?

I still think conceptually they can make a good game with that franchise. It's essentially a third person shooter. That's a popular genre. The franchise has a lot of potential if they can make a third person game up to the quality that people expect from other third person shooters.

That's why it think they haven't written it off yet.

any sales numbers for lost planet 3? I refuse to believe it sold the missing 2.3 mill from that lost planet series 5.6 mill total, with lp1 as 1.5 mill and lp2 as 1.8 mill. there is no way.

Goon Boon

Banned
No Mega Man on that list :(

Capcom had a completed MML3 Prototype Version, and they chose not to release that and say "sales weren't up to snuff" then cancel the full game, but cancel it and salt the Mega Man earth.

They want Mega Man dead in the fucking ground.

Vitor711

Replace Lost Planet with Onimusha.

This.

What the hell happened to that franchise. Sure, the spin-off and Dawn of Souls were weak but the core 3 games sold well, were well marketed and did well critically and commercially.

No idea why they wouldn't bring it back. 1 and 2 still remain some of my favourite PS2 games (the awful acting/story in 3 keeps it from that spot).

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I still think conceptually they can make a good game with that franchise. It's essentially a third person shooter. That's a popular genre. The franchise has a lot of potential if they can make a third person game up to the quality that people expect from other third person shooters.

That's why it think they haven't written it off yet.

I thought Lost Planet 2 (from the co-op demo) was pretty good. Graphics were nice, the co-op was sweet, the monsters were big and dangerous, but killable without too much frustration. You had the neat grappling system, and the giant weapons, and thermal energy, which might have been a little confusing to new players, but was a neat system.

Then again, the demo was just that, a demo. No clue how the quality of the rest of the game goes.

Ehhh... could be better. They just need the right talent behind it, and the sales will come. Cheaping out by hiring Spark is a poor showing.

Sold, I should say. Lost Planet 1 and 2 did decently. 3 was a mess up on both hiring Spark and shipping it in Summer of 2013.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Which is what makes me think they're implying they're not dead.

I mean it kind of looks dumb to go "These six are our examples of power franchises that make up our competitive advantage. Also, two of them are dead. By god we suck at franchise management."

I wouldn't put it past Capcom to do that, but that's not the immediate impression I get from the slides.

I don't consider DMC and LP dead, they had relatively recent games so it made sense to list them, i don't exclude that new DMC and/or LP are in the works, but imo that's not an evidence.

Goon Boon

Banned
I can't comprehend why they excluded Megaman. That's almost a sin.

Capcom had a completed MML3 Prototype Version, and they chose not to release that and say "sales weren't up to snuff" then cancel the full game, but cancel it and salt the Mega Man earth.

They want Mega Man dead in the fucking ground.

Also MML3 Prototype was digital distribution, so it wasn't even a "we don't want to risk printing a bunch of games on a title we're unsure of".

sublimit

Banned
I wonder could they be stupid enough to not give Dragon's Dogma another chance?

They have said that they have been satisfied by DD's sales considering it was a new IP.

Raziel

Not much to take away from that. It's just a list of their 6 most successful/visible IP as of gen 7/recent times.

Suzzopher

Seeing Capcom like this hurts, I remember I'd buy Capcom games just because they were Capcom games, I knew I'd find some fun regardless.

Sold, I should say. Lost Planet 1 and 2 did decently. 3 was a mess up on both hiring Spark and shipping it in Summer of 2013.

Generally I subscribe to the mantra of "you're only as good as your last game", but Lost Planet obviously has more widespread appeal and franchise potential, so I think it probably belongs up there despite LP3, yes.

DMC5 with Nero, Uncle Dante and Daddy Vergil.

DO IT CAPCOM

I hate to admit it, but if they used DmC Vergil as a base and gave him Uncle Dantes complexity, he would be a god.

Just give Nero a couple more weapons. Revable nunchucks would be amazing. They could use crystals move set as a starting point.

Lockon

What's with the Lost Planet hate? I love the series, I hope they go back to LP 1 & 2 style though.

Everyone can hate LP 3 as much as they want though.

Marvel

could never
I hope the series gets a chance to go back to something more like that and the first game. I heard the 3rd wasn't as bad as people thought it'd be, but I need that freeform grapple!

To be honest, I only ever played the demo of LP2, but I played it like 20 times.

I skipped 3 looked terrible.

The first 4 are givens . MH , DMC , street fighters ..it's not a problem.
however i have no idea who uys lost planet games
Hopefully capcom will focus on their porfolio to ouput MLORE fighting games and more original Ips

You'd think after so many releases and re releases , gyakuten saiban would be mentionned.

Eusis

I can understand Mega Man not being there due to them not really knowing what to do with that series anymore and likely having trouble adapting it to modern times (MML was likely ahead of it's time actually, though I guess cutesy aesthetic + shooting action would've been a tough sell, EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING to someone like me that would prefer more variety in styles there), but Onimusha seems sort of crazy to just leave on the side as that's reasonably modern. I guess they just don't feel there's enough traction due to the setting outside of Japan (probably didn't help the games could get really corny) and that it was somewhat redundant in light of DMC's existence.

Even if Dragon's Dogma did well enough to keep investing in (it may have for all I know) it's probably still too young to call one of their "powerful titles." I kind of suspect it'd take off better on newer hardware anyway, that was struggling to be 30 FPS at all on PS3.

Top Bottom