• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom organizes DmC Definitive Edition Style Tournament

Sesha

For those unfamiliar, Style Tournaments are typically fan-organized contests where contestants send in videos depicting stylish play, in an effort to see who can make the most stylish and creative displays of skill, often in the form of elaborate combos. Combo videos and Style Tournaments really took off with the advent of YouTube. Style Tournaments started with DMC3 and has mostly been focused around DMC3 and 4, but the concept has expanded to include other franchises such as Bayonetta, Vanquish, God Hand, etc. With the share function of current gen consoles, making style and combo videos is now easier then ever.

In light of DmC: Devil May Cry: DmC Definitive Edition's release, Capcom and Capcom-Unity staff are organizing an official Style Tournament.

The time has come, my friends, and so, I daresay, have we all. We’ve arrived at an exciting point in time for Devil May Cry fans, with DmC: Definitive Edition freshly out on new-gen consoles and Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition on the way this summer for consoles and PC. That’s more stylish action in a year than the universe typically gets in several. And with the video sharing capabilities of new consoles, I reckon it’s time to put that style on display. And so begins the age of the Style Tournament. Read on to see how you can play and what you might win.

-Those who make the Top Ten will be put to a community vote each round, to be held on the Capcom Unity blog. For convenience and exposure, each poll will be advertised on Twitter (@DevilMayCry) and Facebook (/devilmaycry).

-Whoever gets the most votes in a round is the winner of that round and becomes a “Finalist.” Finalists for each of the first four rounds will receive a Japanese retail copy of Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition, signed by key members of the development team. Please note that these will be sent to winners no sooner than when the game is released in Japan. Winners will be able to choose the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One version.

-Alternatively, winners may request a download code for the PC version, but this will be delivered upon the PC version’s release in North America.

-In the final (fifth) round, the Finalists from the preceding four rounds will compete in a freestyle round. These submissions will be put to another community vote, which will determine the ultimate winner.

-The ultimate winner will receive a signed copy of the Japanese Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition Limited Edition (PS4 only, sorry), in addition to the Finalist prize.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2015/04/10/dmc-definitive-edition-style-tournament---round-1

They will also be doing a tournament for DMC4 / DMC4 Special Edition when the latter is released.

Shauni

So much stuff going on with DMC stuff now. I feel like a DMC5 or some type of continuation of the franchise almost has to be at E3 now.

Sesha

Should have annouced that before the game release but still good to see some support

Because they're promoing DMC4 Special Edition. Easier to get people involved if Special Edition is used as an incentive.

Pretty awesome for Capcom to embrace the combo scene. Definitely entering.

About time as well.

So much stuff going on with DMC stuff now. I feel like a DMC5 or some type of continuation of the franchise almost has to be at E3 now.

DMC4SE release: 18th of June.

E3 2015: 16th-18th of June.

Seyavesh

for DMC:dmc, eh?

now this will be very interesting
i wonder if dudes are gonna pick up the game real fast to try and get at the prize

god damn capcom is mega on point right now

There are tournaments dedicated to Stylish combos in action games? I have seriously gone through life without knowing such happenings?

I'm feeling the oddest combination of excitement and disappointment in myself.

Sesha

Somebody call Dahbomb! :O

He knows. :p

There are tournaments dedicated to Stylish combos in action games? I have seriously gone through life without knowing such happenings?

Style Tournaments have existed for almost a decade. There have been many different style tournaments over the years. The OG one for DMC3 and later DMC4 was the True Style Tournament. Later there's been the Infernal Style Tournament, organized by the DMC modding community and the /v/ Style Tournament, organized by you know what.

Here's a promo video for the /v/ Style Tournament 6, done by our very own Wolf Akela, I believe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCvJvpEzqkY

I expect to see clips from every one of our resident DMC fanatics even if it's DmC.

Some of us, like me, don't own or have access to a current gen console, though. :/

DooD1234

All the stylish combo in DMC3&4 and Bayonetta already make me feel bad about my action skills even though I love the genre. I look forward to this doing the same.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
This is really great. I hope that Capcom continues to embrace the Style scene, and opens a tournament up to international players for DMC4SE.

An actual sponsored TrueStyle tournament? Long overdue and welcome.

I think the new feature of sharing built right into the systems really opens this up to not just good players with capture systems but all players.
Pretty much.

He knows. :p

Style Tournaments have existed for almost a decade. There have been many different style tournaments over the years. The OG one for DMC3 and later DMC4 was the True Style Tournament. Later there's been the Infernal Style Tournament, organized by the DMC modding community and the /v/ Style Tournament, organized by you know what.

Here's a promo video for the /v/ Style Tournament 6, done by our very own Wolf Akela, I believe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCvJvpEzqkY

Some of us, like me, don't own or have access to a current gen console, though. :/

V Style Tournament submission date....was today!

Dahbomb

Fuck yes!

Also the PS4 AF problem has been patched! Get in to the hype!

Year of the DMC!

To be fair this is the first OFFICIAL one, the ones before were community held events.

Akiller

I really hope this will lead one day to real tournament events like it happens for fighting games. 2 players challenge in style point matches, or style point ones with particular restrictions like "Don't touch the ground".

I never understood why people thought the franchise was dead. Capcom always listed it as one of their core franchises, even post DmC.

Sesha

I really hope this will lead one day to real tournament events like it happens for fighting games. 2 players challenge in style point matches, or style point ones with particular restrictions like "Don't touch the ground".

This is why we need co-op and versus modes in the future. The latter will open up a new way of playing action games, even though there wi'll probably only be a few people playing it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
lol @ the prize being a copy of DMC4 instead of something Donte must Cry related.

Really says it all, doesn't it Capcom?

In any case, aren't most of the old-school "stars" retried, or otherwise out of the scene now? I dunno if we'll get a Brea or whatever video for Capcom to use for PR purposes.

Sesha

lol @ the prize being a copy of DMC4 instead of something Donte must Cry related.

Really says it all, doesn't it Capcom?

In any case, aren't most of the old-school "stars" retried, or otherwise out of the scene now? I dunno if we'll get a Brea or whatever video for Capcom to use for PR purposes.

DMC4SE limited edition signed by the dev team is probably more interesting of a price than anything else they could offer.

Some might have retired, but there are plenty of skilled DmC players such as 墳月, michellegun, Sam D, etc.

I gave it a go but, man, Dantes combat when you're trying to be fast paced is so unfinished, messy and clunky. Moves do not connect, Dante's guns don't have a decent buffer or fire window, enemies drop out of what should be juggle combos, colour coded enemies like Red knight and Witches stop this from being a decent challenge. Combined with trying to keep the Style Rank up, it makes this even tougher(but in the worst sense). It's doable sure but the amount of Style you want to put in, you can't. Sad times.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=f0f86d03f6b170a7!1183&authkey=!AL20cSxBHmQyr2Y&ithint=video%2cmp4

Edit: Even then it's still over a minute so I can't submit it. 3 hours. Will have to try again tomorrow. :(

BadWolf

And then when DMC4SE comes out there will be another tournament.

The prize will be copy of Devil May Cry 5, signed by key members of the development team.

And then when DMC4SE comes out there will be another tournament.

The prize will be copy of Devil May Cry 5, signed by key members of the development team.

I was thinking this would be much better, especially if they dont allow dante/nero ( Assuming trish/vergil/lady don't play like trash).

Vanquish style videos are a thing? Tell me more.

Yep. The latest V Style is accepting Vanquish.

Current V style
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 3
Devil May Cry 4
Bayonetta 1 and 2
Ninja Gaiden Series (NG Black, NG 2, NG3: Razor's Edge)
God Hand
The Wonderful 101
saur2hbu1s.gif

Vanquish
Sengoku Basara (Samurai Heroes, Utage 3, and Sengoku Basara 4)
Shinobi (Nightshade as well)
Viewtiful Joe series
Metal Gear Rising

Dahbomb

DmC DE not being on that roster is kinda bull shit...

It has more swag potential than 70% of the games on that list. Certainly more than DMC1... fuck I can put out an entry for that game.

Sesha

It has more swag potential than 70% of the games on that list. Certainly more than DMC1... fuck I can put out an entry for that game.

A lot of /v/ hates DmC. There's probably a lack of general interest as well.

Yep. It's why I'm not entering. I don't played MGR:R anymore and everyone plays DMC4. Viewtiful Joe I fell behind on learning this year(since I modded my Wii U to play GameCube games but didn't practice).
I planned on showing off Vergil but DE wasn't added to the list. I'm gonna end up doing a separate combo video anyway but DmC DE not being basically meant the game is still going to be hidden away from a lot of potential players.

Makes me wonder though, do you do combo videos Dahbomb or have you ever entered?

A lot of /v/ hates DmC. There's probably a lack of entrants as well.

To be honest, a lack of entrants has never been that much of an issue for V and Truestyles. DmC has more players than Viewtiful Joe but Viewtiful Joe made the cut(not that I'm salty or anything). I forgot to respond to your post earlier too. Huge thanks for any help in getting that control/input bug issue fixed. I actually got a response. I'm really hoping we can get this fixed. It's such a big problem with Vergil.

Dahbomb

I have only ever done one combo video and never did anything of the sort after that. A lot of work back then to make a video, lots of time investment. It's a lot easier these days especially with the PS4 capture software but unfortunately now I don't have the skill to do it. If DMC was the only games I played day in and day out then yeah I would be putting out stuff but I got work plus I play other games as well.

And they got Ninja Gaiden 3 on there but not DmC DE? Fucking bull shit man! Some of those games they are really scraping the bottom of the barrel and it's also heavily Japanese games oriented (no Darksiders 2 either? No God of War games?). At least they didn't put in DMC2 because I would've went Super Saiyan on their asses!

These kids don't know that I was among the founding members of the True Style tournament back in the IGN/Gamefaqs days. I was among the judges in the very first True Style tournament.

Dahbomb

I want to actively make votes on this competition. I hope whenever the submissions are made they are linked in this thread. Would be a good place to put my thoughts in.

ezekial45

Banned
Yeah, that's pretty disappointing that DmC DE is not on the list. But then again, it's /v, which a lot of the hate and memes for the game stemmed from, and since they included NG3 instead, you can see what their opinion of the game is.

I have only ever done one combo video and never did anything of the sort after that. A lot of work back then to make a video, lots of time investment. It's a lot easier these days especially with the PS4 capture software but unfortunately now I don't have the skill to do it. If DMC was the only games I played day in and day out then yeah I would be putting out stuff but I got work plus I play other games as well.

And they got Ninja Gaiden 3 on there but not DmC DE? Fucking bull shit man! Some of those games they are really scraping the bottom of the barrel and it's also heavily Japanese games oriented (no Darksiders 2 either?). At least they didn't put in DMC2 because I would've went Super Saiyan on their asses!

These kids don't know that I was among the founding members of the True Style tournament back in the IGN/Gamefaqs days. I was among the judges in the very first True Style tournament.
Yeah combo videos take up quite a bit of time. I spent 4 hours today trying to do the Capcom Unity combo challenge. Planning and then execution can take such a fuckin' long time just for one combo. I managed to squeeze in a MGR:R combo video a week before a Uni exam D:

To be honest, it just reminds me of the EVO lineup anyway. There's always going to be a game in the list you don't think it worthy of a place and a game that does deserve a spot that didn't make it in.
Skullgirls for EVO 2015. Darksiders for V Style 2015.
Darksiders has never been given a chance but man it really has a great system and a damn good player base.

Yeah, that's pretty disappointing that DmC DE is not on the list. But then again, it's /v, which a lot of the hate and memes for the game stemmed from, and since they included NG3 instead, you can see what their opinion of the game is.

Strange too because they had a VStyle which included DmC, 2 years ago.

Sesha

To be honest, a lack of entrants has never been that much of an issue for V and Truestyles. DmC has more players than Viewtiful Joe but Viewtiful Joe made the cut(not that I'm salty or anything). I forgot to respond to your post earlier too. Huge thanks for any help in getting that control/input bug issue fixed. I actually got a response. I'm really hoping we can get this fixed. It's such a big problem with Vergil.

I edited my post. I meant a lack of general interest in DmC.

About the control bug, I actually forgot to make that post. I've had a busy couple of days. But at least you got a response. I'll chime in tomorrow.

Dahbomb

Bumblebee you would've won this if your video wasn't so choppy and you didn't whiff that Hightime in that one sequence.

I voted for you anyway.

That last entry... I could've made a better submission than that. Can't hate though, he submitted and I didn't so props to him.

Sesha

I wish I had a PS4 or this game had a goddamn PC version so I could enter.

Nice combo, though, Cody. I liked it a lot, but I think it would have been stronger had you ended it by doing the finisher earlier during the midway section at the first Shotgun charge shot. That and the whiffed hightime. Otherwise, nice.

Not sure who to vote for, though. The strongest ones are far better than the rest, but they all have some issues dragging them down. Decisions decisions.

No joke. I spent 5/6 hours trying to make a combo and even I wasn't satified. I just wanted to get something in. I thought that you had to combo the entire wave from Start (3 Stygian) to the point that you have access to pull out the eye-camera. Because of that I had to stop styling as much and just get the wave done. Even the one I posted in the thread earlier(unused combo)I was happy with but realised it was over a minute(trying to combo the entire section in a minute). Massive derp part for me.

Like I said, I have a crap ton of unused combo videos that'll end up using. Some of the entries though are brilliant. It's cool to see Steele and K-uke in this.

Bumblebee you would've won this if your video wasn't so choppy and you didn't whiff that Hightime in that one sequence.
Trust me, that random high time is just...ehh. It bothers me too. But I was getting pretty frustrated at this point.

Top Bottom