• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom organizes DmC Definitive Edition Style Tournament

Sesha

Voted.

Brett James having zero votes comes as a real surprise. I felt his was one of the stronger attempts. His only major flaws are the whiffed Rake and not using Rising Rainstorm to chain his combo before charging Ricoshot.

Miker

I forgot to update this as most of the discussion went on in the OT and in the DMC4SE Lady and Trish reveal trailer thread.

Round 4 is on. Here are the results of the previous rounds:

Round 1 results
Round 2 results
Round 3 results

Thanks for posting these. I thought DmC was a pretty decent game on PC, and it's really too bad there's been no mention of the definitive edition coming to PC. The changes they made to the combat look fantastic.

I forgot to update this as most of the discussion went on in the OT and in the DMC4SE Lady and Trish reveal trailer thread.

Round 4 is on. Here are the results of the previous rounds:

Round 1 results
Round 2 results
Round 3 results

Can someone explain to me how MA16v3 won round 2? I found SteeleSerpent entry far more impressive. Maybe I'm missing something. I understand this is a community vote, but the gap is too big so maybe I'm missing something special..

Can someone explain to me how MA16v3 won round 2? I found SteeleSerpent entry far more impressive. Maybe I'm missing something. I understand this is a community vote, but the gap is too big so maybe I'm missing something special..

I just watched the vids. And wow, you are right. Steele had that one in the bag.

Dahbomb

I just saw those two videos.

I had seen them before and the guy who won I never would've thought that he would win it. That's because I can honestly put out a video of myself playing at that level and I don't consider myself to be a "pro". Steele's video is better and he even goes the extra mile of taking on the Drek stylishly.

This is why when we came up with the concept of Style tournaments, winners were decided by a panel of experts and not by community votes. Otherwise it becomes American Idol as opposed to the Olympics.

Not trying to throw shade at the other guy, I have respect for anyone who puts out DMC related content especially in a contest like this.

Good to know that I did not miss something. This is what comes with community driven competitions, which it is what it is. Good think that SteeleSerpent won round 3.

Funny thing, forgot to read the comment section for round 2 and found this gem:

biscuits
Hello,

I am posting here because I feel the need to respond to the accusatory and angry comments below. MA16v3 is actually a personal friend of mine and I can tell you there was no "cheating" going on, and I hate that everyone jumps to that conclusion immediately.

Myself and many others, personally asked coworkers, friends, and family to vote for his entry. Since this is a contest open to public voting, it's not against the rules to ask someone you know to vote for you. I apologize if I seem a bit stern, but MA16v3 is a very good friend and we were all just trying to support him. Any other contestant was able to promote themselves just the same, so there was no distinct advantage.

My above comments aside, I recommend that for future tournaments, perhaps only allow registered members to vote, or just have designated Capcom staff judge the competition and pick the best entry.

If I knew it was going to cause such an upset, I wouldn't have gone through all the trouble :/

Oh well...

Sesha

Good to know that I did not miss something. This is what comes with community driven competitions, which it is what it is. Good think that SteeleSerpent won round 3.

Funny thing, forgot to read the comment section for round 2 and found this gem:

Oh well...

I hadn't seen that. Looks like I was right, lol.

For the DMC4SE style tournament they need to tighten things up a bit. But they do want to encourage people to engage with the community so having things be too strict might cause people to shy away.

Dahbomb

Yeah he didn't cheat or anything, it was all within the rules.

There's nothing stopping me from putting out a video and have all my friends/family vote for me in it. It's well within the rules. It's not the players fault but rather the fault of the format.

Sesha

We absolutely should. Honestly GAF has a big enough community for action games to hold our own general True Style Tournament.

We absolutely should. Honestly GAF has a big enough community for action games to hold our own general True Style Tournament.
I wouldn't mind organizing one down the road if no one else is interested. I already had an idea of for DMC4:SE having a category for each character, and only allowing a person to win at most one category but enter as many as they want (aka bumblebeecody doesn't win everything kappa).

cj_iwakura

I wouldn't mind organizing one down the road if no one else is interested. I already had an idea of for DMC4:SE having a category for each character, and only allowing a person to win at most one category but enter as many as they want (aka bumblebeecody doesn't win everything kappa).

I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised by the results. Go for it.

Top Bottom