• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Resident Evil Code Veronica X HD and all 4 Lost Planet Games added to Xbox One BC program.

Dz8da_jVYAE70kE.png
5 new Capcom games have joined the Xbox One backwards compatibility list! First up we have Resident Evil Code Veronica X HD. Code Veronica took the series signature gameplay and placed it into fully 3D environments for the first time ever. With its inclusion into the Backwards compatibility program players can now experience all of the Resident Evil saga on Xbox One. Well minus 3 but hopefully we will see a remaster of that sooner than later!

The next addition to the backwards compatibility program is the entirety of the Lost Planet franchise. AS a new IP during the 360 days Lost Planet was met with fairly positive reception in its first installment. the second game in the series saw more negativity before ending on a somewhat higher note in the third installment. The reworked version of Lost planet dubbed Colonies, which featured more on multiplayer is also available.

As always if you own the games physically or digitally they are ready to be played on Xbox One at no additional costs!
Includes:

• RE Code Veronic X
  • Lost Planet
  • Lost Planet 2
  • Lost Planet 3
  • Lost Planet Colonies

So for those who played this game or the PS2/DC versions of Code Veronica, is that still worth playing? I passed on RE after that horrible FPS light gun game on the PSX after buying all the original on release and only came back once 4 came out so I pretty much missed all the RE games in between.

Not sure about Lost Planet, I had the first one, never played the others.

MetalSlug

Code Veronica is one of the best, but sadly easiest games in the series.

If you've never played it before, then you should :)

Hmm, I was just trying to play CVX on PS recently and it aged hard. I wonder if the Xbox Version got any slight upgrades to visuals.

Stuart360

Slightly off topib but you know the PC version of Gamepass, is it the Xbox or Pc versions of said games that you play?. It would be a bit weird to be playing like emulated Xbox versions when many of the games had actual PC releases, if you know what i mean.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Wait... $20..?

Nah... seriously? $20 for CV? Is this a joke? I’m missing something, is this on sale or something?

Oh man, hopes dashed :(

Wait what, FOUR Lost Planet games??

When did that even happen, I love this series!

Lost Planet Colonies additions to Lost Planet 1.

With new maps, some cutscenes added not included before, some new weapons, and changes to MP.

Wait... $20..?

Nah... seriously? $20 for CV? Is this a joke? I’m missing something, is this on sale or something?

Oh man, hopes dashed :(

If you don't already have it, or got it on sales with the 360 port, then yeah it's $20 new it seems.

RSB

Banned
Hell yeah! I bought CVX HD a while back when it was on sale for 5 bucks just in case it was ever added to the XB1 BC.

My faith has been rewarded. :lollipop_halo:

Lost Planet Colonies additions to Lost Planet 1.

With new maps, some cutscenes added not included before, some new weapons, and changes to MP.

If you don't already have it, or got it on sales with the 360 port, then yeah it's $20 new it seems.
Colonies also includes cross play with pc, but isn't compatible with the standard edition of lost planet 1.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Fing hell like people needed any more reasons to get the xbox one x hot DANK!!

Breakage

Echoing earlier posters, I didn't even know there were four Lost Planet games. I remember playing the 360 demos of LP1 and 2 and thought the series ended there.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Colonies is just updated Lost Planet 1. There was a 4th Lost Planet game without the name though, E.X. Troopers for 3DS (and later ported to PS3). It was pretty cool and much closer to regular Lost Planet than 3.

With games like this and Monster Hunter Stories (and maybe Monster Hunter 4, but not X as that was too uneven) Capcom really showed they could work wonders to rival Nintendo's with the 3DS low power.

Last edited:

Phobia

Are the Lost Planet servers still up? I only remember playing one of them a couple times, couldn't get into them. I liked all the guest characters like Wesker and Fenix from Gears.

Nacery

Neo Member
Hmm, I was just trying to play CVX on PS recently and it aged hard. I wonder if the Xbox Version got any slight upgrades to visuals.
If you are playing the PS4 version you should know that version is the PS2 version emulated while the XBOX 360 and PS3 HD versions are the MT Framework ports of the game (with enhanced visuals like a new lighting system)

Isa

Colonies is just updated Lost Planet 1. There was a 4th Lost Planet game without the name though, E.X. Troopers for 3DS (and later ported to PS3). It was pretty cool and much closer to regular Lost Planet than 3.

With games like this and Monster Hunter Stories (and maybe Monster Hunter 4, but not X as that was too uneven) Capcom really showed they could work wonders to rival Nintendo's with the 3DS low power.

Damn I shoulda jump on EX Troppers, I almost did several times back in the day when I imported a lot more. Almost got it on sales too. Seems like we can choose the character we want to play in that, I would have loved it! Maybe I should bust out the PS3 from storage...

Any impressions from fellow Gaffers on Lost Plant 2 and 3? I enjoyed the first and used it to sell friends on the 360 back in the day lol. Never got around to playing the others though.

As much as I loved CV, it's the game where the Resident Evil series jumped the shark. 1 and 2 we're love letters to schlocky B-grade zombie flicks, CV is where we got transvestites and superpowers.

MetalSlug

I always thought Code Veronica was the hardest together with Zero. But yeah, best RE imo. <3

I always end up with tons of health and weapons/ammo, that I don't get a chance to use by the end of the game :(

Zero is the one I find the most difficult. It's the only main game I've yet to complete.

Naked Lunch

Just remember kids, there's no Japanese games on Xbox...

Lost Planet 2 is one of the most underrated games of all time. I could play it over and over.

Alexios

Damn I shoulda jump on EX Troppers, I almost did several times back in the day when I imported a lot more. Almost got it on sales too. Seems like we can choose the character we want to play in that, I would have loved it! Maybe I should bust out the PS3 from storage...

Any impressions from fellow Gaffers on Lost Plant 2 and 3? I enjoyed the first and used it to sell friends on the 360 back in the day lol. Never got around to playing the others though.
3 is just an average third person action adventure with none of what made Lost Planet cool, it's like what if random western studio had the Lost Planet concept or something. Lost Planet 2 had great controls and mechanics and mech suits and such but the game's structure became some dumb bite sized mission chunks thing, often with timed objectives, defense, whatever, with an incoherent story and progression and an emphasis on human vs human battles (though there are still monsters and some pretty decent boss fights) where humans behave like bots in a multiplayer game, I didn't like it at all, an actual progressive adventure like Lost Planet 1's with the Lost Planet 2 content would have been great but it was like a weird haflway point between that and a Monster Hunter set up of repeating missions (going full on Monster Hunter: The Shooter would have worked better).

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
As much as I loved CV, it's the game where the Resident Evil series jumped the shark. 1 and 2 we're love letters to schlocky B-grade zombie flicks, CV is where we got transvestites and superpowers.
It's the RE that killed the franchise in terms of plot and future titles. RE4 stood out because it wasn't really a sequel to anything (RE7 did the same) but all the new games after that had to build on CV's muddy, unstable ground.

In terms of gameplay it's classic RE in its purest form. It's even more RE than the first RE.

Alexios

I don't think RE games after 4 built on CV's "muddy" foundation, they built on 4 wholly ditching pretty much everything that came before as 4 did outside using the same main characters. 5 still had the not zombies as the bulk of the enemies and everything 4 introduced. 6 I have no idea what they were thinking. Also that dude wasn't a trans person, just fully deranged and taking the roles of both himself and his sister. It has little to do with wanting to be a woman, if he had a brother instead he'd have probably acted similarly. Not that if he was trans it would be any worse of course.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
It's the RE that killed the franchise in terms of plot and future titles. RE4 stood out because it wasn't really a sequel to anything (RE7 did the same) but all the new games after that had to build on CV's muddy, unstable ground.

In terms of gameplay it's classic RE in its purest form. It's even more RE than the first RE.

Sadly, I have to agree. Things were acceptable up until CV introduced super-human Wesker and mutated but very much conscious Alexia. From there it was pretty much "anything goes!".

I don't think RE games after 4 built on CV's "muddy" foundation, they built on 4 wholly ditching pretty much everything that came before as 4 did outside using the same main characters. 5 still had the not zombies as the bulk of the enemies and everything 4 introduced. 6 I have no idea what they were thinking. Also that dude wasn't a trans person, just fully deranged and taking the roles of both himself and his sister. It has little to do with wanting to be a woman, if he had a brother instead he'd have probably acted similarly. Not that if he was trans it would be any worse of course.

While I agree RE4 is the root of RE's gameplay problem until just recently, RE's story problems did indeed start with CV. Wesker in RE4 and RE5 is a direct continuation of who Wesker was retconned to be in CV.

Last edited:

Alexios

I thought CV Wesker was kinda cool honestly at the time :p

Had he remained as a unique instance and they never ditched zombies as the primary threat with more special bioweapons on top it'd have been better off.

Maybe after RE2 critical success they won't be so scared zombies are boring any more and make up crappy enemies like las plagas and the mold and stuff anymore, makin them special cases instead like mold-like boss (uroboros?) in RE5.

And yeah gameplay wise CV was a better take than 3 to me. I thought it's 3 that went more for action than substance of all the fixed camera titles.

And I really liked seeing the remix of it all in Darkside Chronicles. Code Veronica stuff with almost RE5 level graphics (but in Wii low res, framerate and other limitations at the time).

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Wesker in RE4 and RE5 is a direct continuation of who Wesker was retconned to be in CV.
Not to mention RE6 doubling down with Wesker's son. Because after CV made Wesker the franchise's "evil Jesus", I guess RE6 felt like they had to fix that by having a plain old Jesus show up to atone for his sins.

CV also introduced "bullet time" to the franchise, something that would go on to plague the games but especially the canon movies for years to come.

Alexios

You mean the intro? Come on. That was cool too :p

Claire and Chris were both great in CV :)

Edit: oh I guess you mean some Wesker dodging bullets scene. Yeah... Can't defend that :p

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
One more thing. CV was the last main Resident Evil to come out before the Paul Anderson movie. The movie came out 2 years after CV which means it was most likely in the making hot off the heels of CV's release. Yeah, I'm putting that turd at CV's door, too.

Just remember when you watch that movie and see Alice flying kick a cerberus and how that set the tone for the rest of the movie franchise, keep in mind that this was no doubt originally based off some Hollywood execs watching a cutscene reel from CV, the "latest and greatest" RE at the time.

Last edited:

Alexios

That's just reaching, might as well say the onus is on RE2 for having Claire who went on to experience those things or RE1 for being Wesker's origin, CV did all those things more tastefully than everything that followed, RE4 included :p

Or maybe CV is the cause of the somewhat-return-to-form of RE7 after the 4-induced bs for doing the first person view angle first (for its battle mini game I think, I forget, either that or it was only unlockable after beating it) - in a regular Resi entry rather than like Gun Survivor :p

Last edited:

I guess where you see “jump the shark,” I see, or saw (at the time) “wow that’s new.”

I love CV with a passion. One of my favorite games ever. Yeah, the story shifts gears a little but I like that too

Top Bottom