• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil dev won't rule out remaking spin-off games like Code Veronica

Draugoth

Gold Member
8LfZTH5KYhCmShvekH6YFH-1200-80.jpg.webp

Earlier today on July 6, Capcom posted their general shareholder meeting Q&A, where the company fielded all sorts of questions from investors. One shareholder asked if Capcom would be "providing high-end visual remakes of only the main numbered entries in the Resident Evil series."

To this, Capcom answered that it's "carrying out discussions regarding the future expansion of this series so it can be enjoyed." Sure, that's painful corporate speak from Capcom, refusing to give a straight answer, but it crucially doesn't rule out remakes for Resident Evil spin-off games.

If you've ever wanted a remake of games like Resident Evil: Code Veronica, or Resident Evil Revelations, this is good news. There's a fair few spin-off Resident Evil games out there, that mainline fans might not necessarily have experienced, given they're all older games at this point.

So far at least, Capcom has only focused on mainline Resident Evil games with its remake efforts. We've had remakes of Resident Evil 2, 3, and 4 over the past four years, and one could argue Capcom's stuck rigidly to the better-known Resident Evil games for remakes.

source

Umbasaborne

Banned
Zero and code Veronica would do well with remakes. A modernization of the first game could be neat to make it more accessible to a different audience who may not have the tolerance for REmakes old school design, but it’s entirely unnecessary

Zero and code Veronica would do well with remakes. A modernization of the first game could be neat to make it more accessible to a different audience who may not have the tolerance for REmakes old school design, but it’s entirely unnecessary
One of my dream games is a remake of the iconic first game, on a new engine. I still think its going to be capcom’s grand finale. a remake of REmake

Astral Dog

Code Veronica and 0 are spin-offs? I always assumed they were direct sequels/prequels. A spin off to me is Darkside Chronicles or Outbreak.
They aren't exactly fan favorites,and were somewhat obscure when they first released so sometimes they are dismissed with an spin off label

I think both are pretty damn good ,RE0 got a lovely remaster CVX is ancient but would improve dramatically with a Remake as long as its well crafted

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I guess the problem for Capcom is the remaining remakes have less sales potential now. No one wants 6. 5 also kinda falls into unwanted territory.

So really it leaves 1 (which has the excellent Gamecube version remastered) and CV.

So I bet they go with CV.

Last edited:
I guess the problem for Capcom is the remaining remakes have less sales potential now. No one wants 6. 5 also kinda falls into unwanted territory.

So really it leaves 1 (which has the excellent Gamecube version remastered) and CV.

Shinji Mikami himself said in a documentary that he thought RE3 didn´t have the quality to be a numbered RE, that code veronica deserved it more.

Power Pro

They are totally discussing this because they're probably sitting around table saying "Okay, what game can we remake now" and they probably think...well...Resident Evil 5 still looks too good....maybe we should consider Code Veronica first.

Controls are dated in RE5, but I still think that's a damn good looking game to be honest.

They are totally discussing this because they're probably sitting around table saying "Okay, what game can we remake now" and they probably think...well...Resident Evil 5 still looks too good....maybe we should consider Code Veronica first.

Controls are dated in RE5, but I still think that's a damn good looking game to be honest.
Unmodded RE 5 has aged. They just need to finish the Wesker saga when it comes to remakes. CV and 5 should be enough. 0 and 1 as a bonus if they really want to have full 100% synergy amongst the remakes.

Shinji Mikami himself said in a documentary that he thought RE3 didn´t have the quality to be a numbered RE, that code veronica deserved it more.
Not sure who else of the old teams is still at Capcom, but the new ones have kind of a warped view of the old games. Cleary most of new RE is great. But they keep giving less and less props to the non-RE Engine games, although even the remakes are very different games from the originals. RE3 they didn't understand the appeal of at all, even if you ignore all the "cut" parts. Now CV is a spinoff? It's probably has the most crucial events in the entire lore, lol.

Last edited:
I rather them focus on newer RE games honestly, but I rather see Code Veronica remade over RE5 which I feel still looks good and it will be probably censored and modified for the obvious reasons as well.

I rather them focus on newer RE games honestly, but I rather see Code Veronica remade over RE5 which I feel still looks good and it will be probably censored and modified for the obvious reasons as well.
If anything, CV might even be more prone to censorship - to the point where I can see it not being made at all vs. RE5. At least with the current writers which Capcom has sadly hired. The same guys who meticulously scratched anything close to flirting out of Ada's dialogue and probably shit their pants at the thought of keeping Luis a sleazbag. You think from these people you'd ever get CV storybeats like a mentally ill crossdresser, some dweeb being mostly busy gazing at Claire's ass and incest being one of the creep factors? Shit, naked Alexa might already be too much for them.

Last edited:
Code Veronica isn't a spin-off. For marketing purposes, they numbered Resident Evil - Nemesis, a side story, as "Resident Evil 3". But Code Veronica was supposed to be RE3.
If you play the game you will not need any explanation at all. The story itself is proof it isn't a spin-off. It's the direct sequel to the events of RE2...

Banned
"spinoff games like Code Veronica"??

wtf?
Code Veronica is a mainline game... it's basically the true Resident Evil 3... Resident Evil 3 is called Resident Evil 3 purely for marketing reasons... RE3 was originally the spinoff, simply referred to as Biohazard 1.9 during development.

Code Veronica was the new big mainline game. they just numbered RE3 to have a consistency between all the PS1 games.

there's an alternative reality out there where they weren't so concerned with having a numbered sequence on PS1, and where the PS1 got Resident Evil Nemesis, while the Dreamcast got Resident Evil 3: Code Veronica.

edit: I see I'm not the first one bringing this up... but yeah... NOT A FUCKING SPINOFF! RE3 is the spinoff!

Last edited:

Wulfer

Code Veronica was a big exclusive for the Dreamcast. No, it didn't feel like a spin off title. CV was a 2 disk release and it used the VMU but, it was for saves only (looking at the case now). The VMU could have done a lot more with this game if they had pushed the hardware. I got some of my first VGA console/graphics from this game. Boy, that VGA cord made this system look good back then!

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Code Veronica was a big exclusive for the Dreamcast. No, it didn't feel like a spin off title. CV was a 2 disk release and it used the VMU but, it was for saves only (looking at the case now). The VMU could have done a lot more with this game if they had pushed the hardware. I got some of my first VGA console/graphics from this game. Boy, that VGA cord made this system look good back then!
I think the VMU showed your health too but kinda moot considering RE2 solved that without the need to open the menu.

fart town usa

Gold Member

If they remake 1 again, I'd love to see it have a VR mode. Man, that would be absolute dream come true 🙏

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
CODE Veronica was'nt really a spin-off. It was a direct sequel to Resident Evil 2, but Sony demanded a numbered Resident Evil to PS1, to the number 3 went to Resident Evil: Nemesis instead (this one was a spin-off).
This is nonsense, Resident Evil Code Veronica was originally meant to as an Exclusive to Sega in replacement for the lack of Resident Evil 2 on the Sega Saturn which was cancelled due to quality being subpar in comparison to the PSX version (not because of Sony) and was outsourced to Nextech and Tose.
While some RE Team Names to pop up in the credits the game was completely developed outside of Capcom Production Studio.
it was always a spin-off, just a very good one and yes it deserves to be a mainline.

I don't think it would turn out to be good. They have already diluted the RE formula so badly.

Can you imagine if they had the nerve to charge for the original soundtrack? It probably wouldn't even be in sync with the gameplay either, as was the case with RE2.

I mean, one of the great qualities about 2000's CV is the music. So I don't know. I think they're likely to just cut out things, and that's already been proven to come across as lazy and annoying. The other remakes did it, so I reckon it's gonna just turn out just as sloppy.

The old games were just way more atmospheric and satisfying. I remember when you could arm a shotgun and shoot a zombie so it could split into two halves. Really, though. That was actually possible. It felt great.

The way they messed up RE3 was just awful. It made for an atrocious experience. There was less gore, and certain locations only appeared as backdrops. Nemesis didn't even kill Brad, which was a great introduction in the original to show how menacing Nemesis was to become. And it was linear and half-assed. You couldn't explore much of Raccoon City at all. I just think it was a glorified mainline game that could have easily passed for DLC.

To be honest, the guns in new RE games just feel pissy poor in comparison. Like they are just sounding like crappy toys. You know?

Red5

I don't think it would turn out to be good. They have already diluted the RE formula so badly.

Can you imagine if they had the nerve to charge for the original soundtrack? It probably wouldn't even be in sync with the gameplay either, as was the case with RE2.

I mean, one of the great qualities about 2000's CV is the music. So I don't know. I think they're likely to just cut out things, and that's already been proven to come across as lazy and annoying. The other remakes did it, so I reckon it's gonna just turn out just as sloppy.

The old games were just way more atmospheric and satisfying. I remember when you could arm a shotgun and shoot a zombie so it could split into two halves. Really, though. That was actually possible. It felt great.

The way they messed up RE3 was just awful. It made for an atrocious experience. There was less gore, and certain locations only appeared as backdrops. Nemesis didn't even kill Brad, which was a great introduction in the original to show how menacing Nemesis was to become. And it was linear and half-assed. You couldn't explore much of Raccoon City at all. I just think it was a glorified mainline game that could have easily passed for DLC.

To be honest, the guns in new RE games just feel pissy poor in comparison. Like they are just sounding like crappy toys. You know?

I don't see any harm in the remakes, they do not remove the originals from existence, you can still play whichever you prefer or in my case both, I think each iteration has its appeal and drawbacks.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Capcom deluded themselves into thinking CV is a spin off.

I don't see how it is, but they seem to think so, just because it's not numbered. So I guess it's not important.

We disagree. It is important. It also should have been remade before RE4. If they had waited, RE4 could have been a better surprise for around 2025.

Alan Wake

I've never considered Code: Veronica to be a spin-off at all. And I keep hoping for a remake. I mean, after getting Shenmue III, The Last Guardian and now Alan Wake II, anything is possible.

Phase

"Developer won't rule out making money from IP they own."

You could literally make thousands of articles like these. Such a waste to even write.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Code Veronica is not a spin off. It's the third mainline game in the series story, 3 was a side story. They only gave three the numeral to try to give it a boost since it was on the system with the bigger installed base.

Top Bottom