• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil dev won't rule out remaking spin-off games like Code Veronica

Gojiira

They need to forget Code Veronica and remake Outbreak and File 2 as one big game.
With the way consoles are now they could really deliver on the original plan they had for them, interconnected scenarios with choices made in one affecting how your route through the scenarios go, 4 player online co-op, all the skins and models they had originally, the nearly finished cut scenarios reincorporated, it would be amazing.
Still blows my mind how stuff like bracing against doors or making barricades or even just re-locking doors was never really a thing in other games. Could lead to some really tense situations online as well.
I think it would be amazing again

Hudo

Well fuck me. Someone redpill me on Code Veronica, then. It's the only RE game I haven't played and I thought it to be some sort of unimportant side game. And now this thread makes it seem like it even dunks on RE4.

• Surprised
Reactions: Isa
Well fuck me. Someone redpill me on Code Veronica, then. It's the only RE game I haven't played and I thought it to be some sort of unimportant side game. And now this thread makes it seem like it even dunks on RE4.

It's not a great game, even though I like it just because it's a classic RE title. But it's factually one of the most important entries for the lore.

Gojiira

Its widely regarded as the most difficult entry, the first half on the island can be a pain in the ass for first time runs.
Great atmosphere, godawful villain with the gayest squeaky voice going, bad boss fights, do get to see Wesker beat the shit out of Chris so thats good. Yeah Idk, I like it and I dont. Nemesis was the better choice for number 3 (There I said it)…
But yeah Outbreak…Dunks on Code Veronica,4,5 and 6

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's 100% a mainline game. It was made by main RE team, directed by Mikami, and was expected to be titled RE3 for most of its development, while RE3 was meant to be RE Gaiden. The retitling was a marketing decision that had nothing to do with the content or quality of the games.

As for the quality of the game itself, it seems to divide fans, mostly over some of the campier story elements and voice acting, but I always considered it one of my favorites. It was the first true 3D RE, and felt like the culmination of the traditional hardcore survival horror RE games before the series went in a more action oriented direction. Intense and very difficult.

Last edited:

Hudo

It's not a great game, even though I like it just because it's a classic RE title. But it's factually one of the most important entries for the lore.

Its widely regarded as the most difficult entry, the first half on the island can be a pain in the ass for first time runs.
Great atmosphere, godawful villain with the gayest squeaky voice going, bad boss fights, do get to see Wesker beat the shit out of Chris so thats good. Yeah Idk, I like it and I dont. Nemesis was the better choice for number 3 (There I said it)…
But yeah Outbreak…Dunks on Code Veronica,4,5 and 6

It's 100% a mainline game. It was made by main RE team, directed by Mikami, and was expected to be titled RE3 for most of its development, while RE3 was meant to be RE Gaiden. The retitling was a marketing decision that had nothing to do with the content or quality of the games.

As for the quality of the game itself, it seems to divide fans, mostly over some of the campier story elements and voice acting, but I always considered it one of my favorites. It was the first true 3D RE, and felt like the culmination of the traditional hardcore survival horror RE games before the series went in a more action oriented direction. Intense and very difficult.
Well, damn. Thanks, lads!

Soodanim

Gold Member
It's a great game with a few things to watch out for that make the second playthrough better because you can prepare for them. In that regard it shares some similarity to Zero, but it's a better game than that overall (I like Zero, but it's not at the top by any means).

If you're into classic RE it's well worth your time. My most played version is the PS3's HD port. It's a shame CV wasn't ported to more platforms, it's a notable gap in the PC library.

Esppiral

Well, damn. Thanks, lads!
If you plan to play it just avoid the good awful blurry PS2 version and go for the GameCube or Dreamcast if you plan on emulate it my point still stands, also avoid the good awful port for Xbox 360 and PS3 too.

Last edited:

SHA

I think for the numbers they'll do anything cause as I see it, following the main RE series will only lead to dead-end, if not, then what's after 6?, they should be smarter than that.

• Thoughtful

At the risk of angering fans Resident Evil has always been camp and the story isn't exactly Silent Hill level.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
At the risk of angering fans Resident Evil has always been camp and the story isn't exactly Silent Hill level.
Yes especially those early titles. I thought the story was a lot of fun actually. Code Veronica is probably tied for RE2 for the best of the pre-RE4 classic RE games in my view.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Remakes are probably the least inspiring thing going on in gaming, you would think there would be resident evil 9, 10, and 11 talks.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
there 2 on boats, gaiden and dead aim wait 3 and revelations
It’s an embarrassing game on many levels. If you think backtracking was bad in any RE you’ve played, Code Veronica has twice the amount. The ”story” is as anime as it can get without resorting to full-blown anime artstyle. The room design is horrendous, with so many camera angles conveniently hiding enemies that can happily hit you while you can’t even sense their presence. And you can very easily find yourself in an unwinnable situation with a certain mid-game boss.

Plus, everything that happens is so ridiculous and over-the-top I’d hesitate to say you’d miss some amazing lore if you kept avoiding this game like you did until now.

Neff

And you can very easily find yourself in an unwinnable situation with a certain mid-game boss.

Incorrect. That boss can be beaten entirely without ammo or health. it's not easy but it can be done.

Also the backtracking is exaggerated. There's really no more or less than any other classic RE. But the environment is rather more complex than usual so it messes with people's planning unless they know the route or have a good map memory. And imo that's why it's one of the most satisfying classic RE games to replay.

It was made by main RE team, directed by Mikami

Nah he only produced it. I do agree though that it feels more like a true sequel and a bigger step forward than RE3 did.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
If you plan to play it just avoid the good awful blurry PS2 version and go for the GameCube or Dreamcast if you plan on emulate it my point still stands, also avoid the good awful port for Xbox 360 and PS3 too.
What don't you like about the HD port? Played just fine for me, and had some visual upgrades.

Gojiira

Incorrect. That boss can be beaten entirely without ammo or health. it's not easy but it can be done.

Also the backtracking is exaggerated. There's really no more or less than any other classic RE. But the environment is rather more complex than usual so it messes with people's planning unless they know the route or have a good map memory. And imo that's why it's one of the most satisfying classic RE games to replay.

Nah he only produced it. I do agree though that it feels more like a true sequel and a bigger step forward than RE3 did.
If its ‘the boss’ Im thinking beating it with zero ammo still requires knifing it right? Not sure Id recommend that for most players lol.

Its funny talking about taking steps forward because I honestly feel the opposite, Nemesis as a spinoff by intent took way more risks, things like the choice system and multiple paths, non linear progression,random item placement and Nemesis itselfs ‘random’ encounters. Idk it really seems that over the years fan sentiment towards 3 has declined despite how many used to quote 3 as being one of the best (it is).
CV in comparison is ambitious only in being fully 3D while everything else about it is not much different than 1 or 2 bar Claires higher res (Primo!) booty.
I’d recommend CV over Zero though…

Neff

f its ‘the boss’ Im thinking beating it with zero ammo still requires knifing it right? Not sure Id recommend that for most players lol.

If we're talking the cargo plane Tyrant, you can just pull the container slide until he's dead. You'll have to dodge him until it recharges, but it can at least be done.

If we're talking the Steve boss which many assume can only be done by spamming health, you can bait him with a couple of axe swings near the start to gain distance on him and make the rest of the run without needing to heal or fire a shot.

Isa

What don't you like about the HD port? Played just fine for me, and had some visual upgrades.
For me as well, in fact I'm playing through it again right now on Series X. Already went through a few times on the PS4 version. Its been so long I forgot when to plan for the final switch at the end game, not enough ammo or good weapons lol. Despite owning and playing it since the Dreamcast(still own my copy) I always forget some important things. I always loved the continuation of the story rather than the side story feeling RE3, and I just don't like stalkers in horror games. I do notice that the HD port is a bit blurrier but its not unplayable by any means, plus it has Achievements. IIRC the PS2 port its based off of had a few small additions like some added Wesker stuff. But I could be wrong.

I also really dig the variety in environments and og era style music. I'll also always remember my sister's interest in the main villain(s). Some might not like the camp but I think that was particularly a product of the voice acting at the time(budget, experience, directing). They were trying to incorporate some mature and intense themes into a shorter runtime and I think that with more nuance and subtlety it could have been handled better. That sort of identity crisis, especially in eccentric upper classes can be intriguing. Quite a few puzzles too to solve which is very nice, and Claire is great. Leonardo de Steve... not so much.

Soodanim

Gold Member
If we're talking the cargo plane Tyrant, you can just pull the container slide until he's dead. You'll have to dodge him until it recharges, but it can at least be done.

If we're talking the Steve boss which many assume can only be done by spamming health, you can bait him with a couple of axe swings near the start to gain distance on him and make the rest of the run without needing to heal or fire a shot.
That fucking second one is wild. It was straight up 3 full heals or die until some brave bastard grew balls bigger than Chris's arms in RE5 and found a hitless method.

The more I think about it, the more I remember things that are better the second time once you've learned to play around them. I like those things, because it leaves room for player improvement, but I would absolutely expect streamlining in a remake.

Neff

It was straight up 3 full heals or die until some brave bastard grew balls bigger than Chris's arms in RE5 and found a hitless method.

I found a halfway method by u-turning and running immediately, shooting him with an incendiary arrow before he reaches me, turning again, firing again, turning again, and that's all you need. Two arrows will do it, certainly better than using two-three full heals which is probably what most of us did until we knew better.

The more I think about it, the more I remember things that are better the second time once you've learned to play around them.

Yeah it's one of the reasons I love RE. A little knowledge can save you endless heartache (and lots of health/ammo) on replays.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Code Veronica has aged quite a bit,but still has amazing potential for a well crafted Remake , it would become one of the best survival horror Resident Evils , the setting,characters and soundtrack are well worth revisiting.

For a glimpse you need to look at RE Darkside Chronicles 'Game of Oblivion' section

Soodanim

Gold Member
Code Veronica has aged quite a bit,but still has amazing potential for a well crafted Remake , it would become one of the best survival horror Resident Evils , the setting,characters and soundtrack are well worth revisiting.

For a glimpse you need to look at RE Darkside Chronicles 'Game of Oblivion' section
It's not my favourite of the series, but the save room theme is incredibly hopeful which is absolutely necessary on such a long journey where shit can and does go wrong more than any other classic RE

Gojiira

Ahhhhhh yep you’re right, kinda get the impression their first time traps tbh. Rough bosses lol

Top Bottom