• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom USA VP Disappointed By Darkstalkers Resurrection Sales

Takao

Banned
Darkstalkers Resurrection isn’t doing as well as he’d hoped, Capcom USA’s senior VP, Christian Svensson, shares on the company forums.

In a forum thread on Capcom Unity, one of the site’s users points out that Darkstalkers Resurrection was among the top-selling games on PlayStation Network games during the month of March (the game ranked #7 on the PSN charts). Unfortunately, Svensson says, it’s not as high on the chart as it needs to be in order to be considered successful.

“Sadly, it’s not as high on that list as it really needs to be to be successful,” Svensson wrote in his candid response.

“We’re working on promotions and the like to improve the situation. We’ve not given up. But I’m disappointed in the opening sales response relative to any other fighting title we’ve put out on the same platforms given the frequency and urgency of requests we’ve had here over the last several years and the quality of the execution. It is the most fully featured and probably best project of this type we’ve done.”

Svensson adds: “And before people jump to the wrong conclusions, I’m not blaming fans who did buy it and supported the brand. I’m very thankful for those guys (thank you, to all of you). I’m more disappointed by my misread of the information in this particular case.”

Last week, Svensson also hinted that Capcom would probably slow down on re-releasing their older fighting games for current platforms in light of waning sales. At the time, he explained: “It seems the novelty of such projects is wearing off even within just the fighting game community based upon the sales data of our last two launches.”

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/1...lkers-resurrection-sales/#VMfoa1rgAsmT89dm.99

I'm a big Darkstalkers fan and I didn't even blink an eye for this, I want a new Darkstalkers. I hope they don't make excuses that they aren't making a sequel because of this.

wait, it's Capcom, they will

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
They should start rereleasing their Breath of Fire games.

I'm a big Darkstalkers fan and I didn't even blink an eye for this, I want a new Darkstalkers. I hope they don't make excuses that they aren't making one because of this.

Well I'm think that this was kind of the idea behind releasing this so yeah, Darkstalkers is back to the old graveyard.

sephi22

I've bought every Capcom fighter released this gen, digital or otherwise, besides Darkstalkers Resurrection and Jojo's. I buy most of them out of sheer goodwill.

Give me a Marvel update and we'll talk Capcom.

No more DSIV guys. Prepare your anus.
Yeah, all 3 of you.

Trike

I'm a big Darkstalkers fan and I didn't even blink an eye for this, I want a new Darkstalkers. I hope they don't make excuses that they aren't making one because of this.

Most companies would be hesitant? Darkstalkers if Darkstalkers doesn't sell well on XBLA/PSN of course they wouldn't be all that interested in pouring a lot of resources into a new retail game. I blame it on them for over-saturating the market with fighters again. However, going by his responses he seems to be aware of the fatigue from rereleases and saying it is fighting games as a whole.

But I remember Darkstalkers HD rerelease being highly request on Unity years ago.

DatDude

Banned
Fans: WE WANT MORE OLDSCHOOL REVIVAL GAMES!!! PUBLISHERS WHY YOU NO FUND THESE GAMES, INSTEAD OF GENERIC SHOOTER X!!!! DON'T YOU KNOW YOU WILL SELL MORE COPIES THAT WAY!!!!!!

Capcom: Alright, here is Darkstalkers for you. It will sell right guyz?

Fans: Thank you!!! An of course it will sell!!!

Capcom: Why didn't you buy more copies?

Fans: We did!

Capcom: Guess there are more fans of generic shooter x. Cya!

Dahbomb

The Marvel minions are holding all fighting games hostage until they get a patch. Injustice is next... you know who to blame if it underperforms.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Its not an easy game to get into

It doesn't have the same following/legacy as SF3 and SF2 and even MvC2

...so yeah

To save this franchise Capcom needs to reintroduce it to gamers, in other words, new game.

Sophia

Unfortunately, the timing was awful on Capcom's party. Trying to reintroduce a fighting game franchise when they already have three different fighting game pillars out there was just a bad idea.

Market saturation and the weakest brand lost out.

Giolon

I don't even know if I'm going to like this game. Why would I pay $15 for it? I bought SF3 bc I heard how awesome it is, and it was so fucking obtuse I gave it up after a few hours.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I don't even remember Darkstalkers being that popular during the heyday of 2D fighters so I am not surprised at all.

Seems like another instance of small hardcore audience making it seem like a game is in more demand than it really is.

Slygmous

How about actually advertising your digital titles instead of dangling future sequels in front of our faces?

(I bought it, btw)

LiK

Unfortunately, the timing was awful on Capcom's party. Trying to reintroduce a fighting game franchise when they already have three different fighting game pillars out there was just a bad idea.

This is true.

Jhriad

Pretty much. They've churned out new revisions of existing fighting games too frequently and have subsequently burned through the interest in additional games.

Skilletor

I don't even remember Darkstalkers being that popular during the heyday of 2D fighters so I am not surprised at all.

Seems like another instance of small hardcore audience making it seem like a game is in more demand than it really is.

You think? Seems like another instance of a company having unrealistic expectations to me. Consumers are never to blame for not buying a product they don't want.

I'm a big Darkstalkers fan and I didn't even blink an eye for this, I want a new Darkstalkers. I hope they don't make excuses that they aren't making a sequel because of this.

It's more likely that you claim to be a big Darkstalkers fan but never touched the games themselves. Which can be said about most of the so called Darkstalkers fans.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Svens comments earlier which are also referenced in the article seem to support the fact that this is probably in large part due to HD rerelease fatigue, not to mention the end of the gen.

Its not an easy game to get into

It doesn't have the same following/legacy as SF3 and SF2 and even MvC2

...so yeah

To save this franchise Capcom needs to reintroduce it to gamers, in other words, new game.
Also, this.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
While it sucks that the sales numbers are bad, I'm just glad we have a good version of the game to use at tourneys/sessions.

I really don't know what they could have done to increase sales, it's not like the Darkstalkers franchise was ever super popular. It's a niche game and a large section of that niche group doesn't even play the game, they fawn over user-created material and just stop at that level.

Also, for some people having Donovan, Phobos, and Pyron in Savior was a huge deal and it affected their purchasing decision.

It was a day one purchase for me. Now, I can't find any of the day one purchase gamers playing it.

I still pop in for a few Ranked games on 360 and when there's a lobby with competitive players, but I've also been playing on GGPO again when it's harder to find matches on XBL.

LiK

Morrigan will still live on. And so will B.B Hood. And Hsien Ko. And Felicia...

That's all the Darkstalkers anyone needs. :X

Mega Man is a good indication that even if Capcom refuses to make their games, we'll still get plenty of merch instead.

Top Bottom