• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: Civil War Trailer #1 Debut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those aren't really issues other than C if true IMO. The issues is having 24 episodes that is padding with so much filler bullshit on top of none of them being on HBO/Netflix. So we get stuck with teenage love drama that 90% don't give a shit about. If the Flash was 12-14 episodes and on Netflix where they didn't have to pander to CW nonsense, it would be far and away the best comic book show by a country mile. It really wouldn't be close tbh.

I think that's a gutsy prognostication, and one that can't be easily substantiated. As it stands, Flash and Arrow are CW shows, and they are CW shows to the bone, and watching them makes me want to puke shit out my dick because of it. For every moment they have that is good, they have 10 moments that are overly sweet saccharin bullshit or overly ridiculous love triangle drama. They don't succeed in overcoming their dubious pedigree as CW shows for me, they languish in it.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
The discussion seems to be about money, and how well each movie will do compared to the others. There's no question that the Marvel movies pull in a lot more than DC's outings...the question is if Superman + Batman will be a big enough draw to outdo what is essentially an Avengers film.
gxSxDyj.png
mta5NsY.png

'bitchslap' was just a pointless choice of wording, I think...

Is #4 on the WB side the 1989 Batman? If so it's kind of sad that a movie released nearly 30 years ago did better than their recent outings.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Is #4 on the WB side the 1989 Batman? If so it's kind of sad that a movie released nearly 30 years ago did better than their recent outings.

What are their other recent outings?

Beyond Green Lantern and... uhh.. Jonah Hex... they haven't done anything else. Their recent outings are the Nolan movies and Man of Steel.

Dai101

Banned
The problem with the DC films is they have nobody in their cast like Chris Evans in terms of good looks, acting talent and charisma.

Poor them.

Nor a Chris Pratt

or a Chris Hemsworth

or a Paul Rudd

or an Antony Mackye

or a Robert Downey Jr.

or a Scarlett Johansson

or a Elizabeth Olsen

or THE GODDESS (along THE GOD)

3NxA2mb.jpg

image.php

Your argument is invalid.
because of my avatar? no it isn't. i haven't even said my argument. i love IM1, I think it is one of the best MCU movies ever, and hey it's the original. IM3 on the other hand was better than the 2nd, and while the mandarin twist didn't ruin it completely, it certainly did not help.

i don't see what about IM3 makes it better than the first.
Actually yeah; I mean; I don't like it nearly as much as Winter Soldier or GotG but it gets WAY too much hate. That being said, I really disliked the ending and typical marvel weak / unmemorable villain.
speaking of weak, unmemorable villain...you say it's typical, I think MCU villains get way too much hate. I liked iron monger, I liked ronan, those are two I feel like no one thinks much of.

Been saying for the last year or two that we will get it, along with the shield breaking. Then right before Thanos delivers the killing blow to Cap, Tony will fly in and take the hit and die. Finally laying down on the wire for someone else.

That will also be the trigger that Cap needs to lift Mjolnir and beat Thanos's ass as I squeal uncontrollably in the theater.
didn't spiderman also once fight thanos?

My problem with DC, and hence my desire to not watch their shows because there isn't a decent return on investment for universe-building, is that:

A) They won't be tied to the cinematic universe
B) They can't even be all tied to each other
C) There was a rumor that the film side was preventing the TV side from using specific villains (Deathstroke, I think?)

While Marvel can grow their universe across different forms of media, DC seems stunted across TV. This is a shame, because I've heard Arrow and Flash are excellent, but I don't want to invest in those shows when the films I'm more interested in seeing aren't going to acknowledge them in any capacity.

I really don't understand why people like you put so much weight in continuity. It's a gimmick, nothing more. Daredevil and Jessica Jones would be good shows regardless of whether they were in the MCU, their own separate Netflix universe or whatever. And it'd have absolutely no effect on those shows, wider MCU events were referenced maybe two or three times for each show. So what does it really matter?

As for C, you realise the MCU gets that so much worse, right? Other than a couple of small cameos, none of the film heroes or villains are going to appear in the shows. Black Widow is never going to play the role in Daredevil that she does in the comics. Same goes with Captain Marvel and Jessica Jones. Meanwhile, Arrow has featured two major villains in Ra's Al Ghul and Deathstroke, who they'd never be able to use if they were tied into the DCCU.

I could be blinded by nostalgia, but a central love interest in a show doesn't have to be bad. I liked the New Adventures of Superman. Lois and Clark wasn't bad and that show was unapologetically comic book.
It doesn't have to be bad, it's just bad in those shows. They don't know how to write great ones. The only well written ones in Arrow are
the island love triangle. All their relationships worked and pushed the story/characters forward.
Everything else is trash. In Flash, I liked the reporter chick with Barry but no, he has to dwell on the girl of his zzzzz.. sorry. I stopped caring.
I think that's a gutsy prognostication, and one that can't be easily substantiated. As it stands, Flash and Arrow are CW shows, and they are CW shows to the bone, and watching them makes me want to puke shit out my dick because of it. For every moment they have that is good, they have 10 moments that are overly sweet saccharin bullshit or overly ridiculous love triangle drama. They don't succeed in overcoming their dubious pedigree as CW shows for me, they languish in it.
Disagree there. Flash is a great show, second best after Daredevil from the comic book shows overall. Arrow also has the best season of any comic book series in season 2, but it's litered with too much dumb shit overall. Stopped watching it after Bruce Wayne Oliver in s3 fought
Ra's. Got stabbed through his body and fell who knows how far down below which by itself it could have been an insta-kill. Then he wasn't thrown in the pit but instead raised by a fucking phoenix down. GG Arrow writers.
I will get back to it via binge watching around Christmas probably, but ughh...

By the way, has anyone called Arrow writers out for trying to turn Olly into Bruce Wayne? It looks like a blatant rip off.

I really don't understand why people like you put so much weight in continuity. It's a gimmick, nothing more. Daredevil and Jessica Jones would be good shows regardless of whether they were in the MCU, their own separate Netflix universe or whatever. And it'd have absolutely no effect on those shows, wider MCU events were referenced maybe two or three times for each show. So what does it really matter?

As for C, you realise the MCU gets that so much worse, right? Other than a couple of small cameos, none of the film heroes or villains are going to appear in the shows. Black Widow is never going to play the role in Daredevil that she does in the comics. Same goes with Captain Marvel and Jessica Jones. Meanwhile, Arrow has featured two major villains in Ra's Al Ghul and Deathstroke, who they'd never be able to use if they were tied into the DCCU.
Yeah. We'll never see Spiderman and Daredevil team up. Or the Punisher with Spidey in his sights. Or Doctor Strange and Iron Fist together

Dalek

It doesn't have to be bad, it's just bad in those shows. They don't know how to write great ones. The only well written ones in Arrow are
the island love triangle. All their relationships worked and pushed the story/characters forward.
Everything else is trash. In Flash, I liked the reporter chick with Barry but no, he has to dwell on the girl of his zzzzz.. sorry. I stopped caring.

Disagree there. Flash is a great show, second best after Daredevil from the comic book shows overall. Arrow also has the best season of any comic book series in season 2, but it's litered with too much dumb shit overall. Stopped watching it after Oliver in s3 fought
Ra's. Got stabbed through his body and fell who knows how far down below which by itself it could have been an insta-kill. Then he wasn't thrown in the pit but instead raised by a fucking phoenix down. GG Arrow writers.
I will get back to it via binge watching around Christmas probably, but ughh...

Arrow Season 2 truly is the greatest. It treated every episode like it was a season finale. Every week people were like "WTF?!?!?!!?!?!?!?"

Arrow S2 started kind of rough but the second half was insanely good. I was super into it. I haven't gotten all the way through Flash yet but I loved what I saw so far aside from the romance BS.

I don't see how these shows are bad. I like them way better than most of Marvel's TV output, Daredevil aside.

jey_16

Banned
Arrow S2 started kind of rough but the second half was insanely good. I was super into it. I haven't gotten all the way through Flash yet but I loved what I saw so far aside from the romance BS.

I don't see how these shows are bad. I like them way better than most of Marvel's TV output, Daredevil aside.

Marvel's TV side has been mediocre, especially compared to the films. Daredevil was good but apart from that, everything has been average

The problem with the DC films is they have nobody in their cast like Chris Evans in terms of good looks, acting talent and charisma.

Poor them.

hahahahaha, enough of your parody posts already. it's bad enough you try to convince everyone of chris evan's amazing acting talent.

he's a B- /C+ player breh. great as captain america though...but nobody else is knocking on his door for film roles.

Go watch Man From UNCLE. NOW.

he was pretty fun in there, liked armie hammer more though. still his superman has been a problem. the man is just a walking ken-doll. hopefully they give him room to step up in the sequel.

guek

Banned
he's a B- player breh. great as captain america though...but nobody else is knocking on his door for film roles.

I genuinely wonder why that is. I don't think he's a phenomenal actor, no, but neither are Hemsworth, Johansson, or Pratt but they get offered tons of roles. He's definitely competent enough to get by on name recognition and good looks alone.

Dalek

I genuinely wonder why that is. I don't think he's a phenomenal actor, no, but neither are Hemsworth, Johansson, or Pratt but they get offered tons of roles. He's definitely competent enough to get by on name recognition and good looks alone.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/apr/01/captain-america-chris-evans-not-quitting-acting

Evans, currently appearing in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, told Variety last week that he planned to move behind the camera following the completion of his contract with Disney-owned Marvel Studios. The 32-year-old actor, who recently completed work on a directorial debut, 1:30 Train, has three more films as the superhero on his slate.

But in an interview with ABC News, Evans said his earlier statement had been incorrect. "By no means am I planning on retiring," he said, calling his previous comments "kind of a silly statement". By way of caveat, he added: "I certainly am going to try and focus a bit more on directing at this point."

Previously the Boston-raised actor had told Variety: "If I'm acting at all, it's going to be under Marvel contract, or I'm going to be directing. I can't see myself pursuing acting strictly outside of what I'm contractually obligated to do."

Chris Hemsworth is the best actor of the bunch (I'm talking the young guys. Obvs Mark Ruffalo is the best actor out of Avengers). Evans is great as Cap and comedies but C tier in everything else.

even before he caught the directing bug he was being cast in some basura for the most part. he's a good looking dude with average chops. it's not a bad thing but painting him as some great actor is bizarre, he's not good at drama at all.

a shame he didn't get a lot of comedies, whenever he was in a funnier role he shined.

Confirmed to be a misquote, he said after, that he would like to play Captain America until they dont want him anymore.
I think he quite that to show that Evans like directing more than acting. So he may not be in more film compare to hemsworth and other marvel cast because he's not interested in any, not that he didn't get offer.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Anyway, I would really, really love if they could give him a Marvel Netflix Episode or an Episode of Agent Carter or something to direct. Would be a really nice move from them.

y2dvd

My problem with DC, and hence my desire to not watch their shows because there isn't a decent return on investment for universe-building, is that:

A) They won't be tied to the cinematic universe
B) They can't even be all tied to each other
C) There was a rumor that the film side was preventing the TV side from using specific villains (Deathstroke, I think?)

While Marvel can grow their universe across different forms of media, DC seems stunted across TV. This is a shame, because I've heard Arrow and Flash are excellent, but I don't want to invest in those shows when the films I'm more interested in seeing aren't going to acknowledge them in any capacity.

I have no shame in saying I've become more of a Marvel fanboy lately, but the Arrowverse is amazing in its own right. They make do with what they got to the fullest. You may not see every character but whatever, hold your breath for the movies. Give the shows a shot!

Hell no. Evans can't do a Rush or Heart of the Sea type of movie. He was even horrible in that horrible Before Sunrise ripoff he made.
I haven't seen Rush, but how do you even know about HoS? It hasn't even been out yet. I've only really seen him as Thor and Evans leagues above him. All he has is basically the look of Thor.. and that's it.

I have no shame in saying I've become more of a Marvel fanboy lately, but the Arrowverse is amazing in its own right. They make do with what they got to the fullest. You may not see every character but whatever, hold your breath for the movies. Give the shows a shot!
Seriously. For some reason, I doubt we'll see Reverse Flash and Gorilla Grodd together on-screen in the Snyderverse Flash movie. Or like an actually giant bipedal King Shark

I mean compare the movie and TV's approach to mutated animal villains

Killer Croc

King Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom