• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker |OT| rrrrready for adventure!

TheMoon

Hail to the king, baby!

(spoiler pics)

http://www.sixfortyfive.com/temp/toadswag1.png
http://www.sixfortyfive.com/temp/toadswag2.png

About 19 hours all said and done:
- all levels cleared
- all gems obtained
- all bonus objectives met
- all challenge times met
- all unlockables cleared

Mummy-Me Maze Forever took about 3 hours to beat. In comparison, Champion's Road took 2. I partially blame this one on drowsiness though.

EDIT: video of the final stage

19 hours for everything? So totally not worth $40 bucks then?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
You could shave some idle time off of that but I'm pretty comfortable with putting it at an easy 15+ for the completionist, minimum.

I usually loathe quantifying a game's length to begin with, but less so in this case because it's not the type of game I'd replay often.

kubus

We went to play Chapters 15 and 16 this evening and I have to say we really tried to be extra-careful with not rotating, spinning or zooming too much, but we're both sitting here with absolutely awful migraines and my wife has said that she will not be able to play the game anymore. 3DW is one of our favorites ever and we were both really looking forward to this and planning to spend a lot of time over the week I'm taking off of work for Christmas playing this on our staycation, so it is a great disappointment to her to not be able to play it.

Even with getting headaches I know I will still play the game, because I get moderately bad headaches near-daily anyway, but my wife's migraines have been much better controlled (with some intensive regular treatment interventions; she gets 32 Botox injections in her head and neck from her neurologist every few months), so we do not want her to have worsened headaches again. Sigh. I don't mean to go on about this, but it really sucks. I feel like if the camera was a bit less sensitive + you could turn gyro off (although holding the GamePad steady helps this not to move by accident) + there was a mid-zoom option, all of that would help a good amount. As it is, I'm trying to think of what game will feel special for us to play together instead because she'd be so looking forward to playing this together, we both had.

As I said, I don't mean to go on about this, but it is pretty disappointing.
:( I'm so sorry to hear that. I know how much you've been looking forward to playing this game with your wife.

Don't let it get to you too much, in the end it's just a game and there are a billion ways to have a nice Christmas together! Hopefully you can find another game or something else entirely that you both can enjoy without any pain. Have you watched the Pikmin Short Movies yet? While a bit on the expensive side, they are an absolute delight and I wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone. They're very much like the Pixar short movies they show in cinemas. I watched them together with my boyfriend, who has never played a Pikmin game, but he still adored the movies :).

maxcriden

:( I'm so sorry to hear that. I know how much you've been looking forward to playing this game with your wife.

Don't let it get to you too much, in the end it's just a game and there are a billion ways to have a nice Christmas together! Hopefully you can find another game or something else entirely that you both can enjoy without any pain. Have you watched the Pikmin Short Movies yet? While a bit on the expensive side, they are an absolute delight and I wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone. They're very much like the Pixar short movies they show in cinemas. I watched them together with my boyfriend, who has never played a Pikmin game, but he still adored the movies :).

Thanks kubus! I was going to reply to your email today and tell you about this. We have watched the Pikmin movies, they were really cute for the most part. Good stuff for sure. I'm sure we will figure out another game or games to play together over our staycation. We certainly have plenty to choose from in the backlog, so that's good. In the meantime if my head feels up to it I'll give CT a shot myself this afternoon when Jen's studying for her finals. :)

Coconut

Banned
this is a great couples game. It's just as much fun to have the controller in your hand as it is to call out where something is or to theorize what the special objective might be.

I don't get people's problem with Toad being 10-15 hours long. Doesn't the quality of the experience matter more than the time? Also, aren't most puzzle games this long or even shorter?

TheGrue

Had a very short weekend at home, but got through Episode 1. Really love the game and crack up every time I hear Toad make a noise. Can't wait to get back from my trip and play more.

Hail to the king, baby!

(spoiler pics)

http://www.sixfortyfive.com/temp/toadswag1.png
http://www.sixfortyfive.com/temp/toadswag2.png

About 19 hours all said and done:
- all levels cleared
- all gems obtained
- all bonus objectives met
- all challenge times met
- all unlockables cleared

Mummy-Me Maze Forever took about 3 hours to beat. In comparison, Champion's Road took 2. I partially blame this one on drowsiness though.

EDIT: video of the final stage

can't wait to see people speedrun this game

Kappa

Is this game hard? Im gonna gamefly it over the weekend for my gf and I to play here and there since she doesnt like hard games and this seemed like a pretty relaxing and cute little game for us to play.
Nah, the main game is easy as dirt. The challenges are pretty tough, the time trials are brutal, and apparently getting them all gets you a 50 stage level.
I do not think anything is co-op though besides the 4 bonus levels.

Exile20

Nah, the main game is easy as dirt. The challenges are pretty tough, the time trials are brutal, and apparently getting them all gets you a 50 stage level.

Really? it is that easy?

ghibli99

20+ hours for most folks to 100% it seems totally fine. I don't game for that many hours in a day, so I'm guessing this will still take me 1-2 weeks to finish. Sounds perfect. Now I just need to start it!

how big is the download for this game? sorry if it is in the OT but I can't see the images at work

I managed to get 10 free bucks from the wii u deluxe promotion, so I'm thinking of just getting this game from the eshop

I wouldn't go that far. Did you play the 3D World levels? If you did, you probably know what to expect in terms of difficulty.
Nothing in Captain Toad ever compares to World 8 of 3D World. It is pretty much World 6 is the hardest in the main story at most. Now the challenges and bonus missions are actual difficulty.

Nothing in Captain Toad ever compares to World 8 of 3D World. It is pretty much World 6 is the hardest in the main story at most. Now the challenges and bonus missions are actual difficulty.

I think overall its pretty comparable, outside of the bonus missions which I can't comment on. I find the "action" stages to be a little tricky.

AdanVC

That is a helpful tip, thank you! (Also, ortographic, wow, that is a good word.)

You're welcome :) I've been using and it seems to work nicely when you want to see the level with the camera perfectly aligned or from a good angle depending where our lil Toad is walking.

maxcriden

You're welcome :) I've been using and it seems to work nicely when you want to see the level with the camera perfectly aligned or from a good angle depending where our lil Toad is walking.

Thanks Adan :) Will report in this evening! I'm psyched to give it a shot.

that sucks to hear, fingers crossed they spend 5 minutes on making on patch to give an option for switching off gyro camera.
For a game that relies on it's camera so much I'm amazed that they didn't include an option.

Is people moving in Miiverse asking for this to Nintendo? If not, it may be a good time to start doing it.

zroid

Banned
ipYlgHidb5jrz.jpg

GOTY

Roo

Not that it's a big deal but do you not get club nintendo coins for buying this on the eshop?

You get 40 coins.
Can't remember right now but either your NNID or your console SN need to be linked to your Club Nintendo account before downloading any game.

edit: it's your NNID

arimanius

You get 40 coins.
Can't remember right now but either your NNID or your console SN need to be linked to your Club Nintendo account before downloading any game.

edit: it's your NNID

You absolutely should, yes. I would assume 40. They may not show up immediately, though. You'll also get DDP of course, provided you have a Wii U Deluxe. :)

Thanks guys. I have my NNID linked and bought it a few days ago and just noticed my club nintendo coins and products haven't been updated with it. So was curious.

maxcriden

Reporting back from the outskirts of the Sprixie Kingdom as promised. The 45-degree angle trick did not help, but I was glad to be able to try it. The R stick click trick did help a bit. I went in with no significant nausea and a mild migraine, I came out with mild-ish nausea and a mild to moderate migraine. I probably played for a bit too long, though. This was a half hour session or so. I did really enjoy the levels I played
end of book 1, beginning of book 2. I do love Fake Credits Sequences in games. That's a trope I'm always a fan of, even if it felt hilariously soon in this case.

So, in my mind it's only further solidified that four things would improve playability immensely for me: (1) a mid-zoom option. It's not realistic to play well with the zoom on, and for those of us without a massive TV, and who are a reasonable, normal distance from the screen, it's a bit too zoomed out by default; (2) the ability to make the R stick less sensitive for camera movement; (3) the ability to toggle gyro on/off; and, (4), an on/off toggle for mirroring the TV on the GamePad. I think seeing the spinning level on the GamePad in the periphery of my visual field just makes the experience more dizzying. (I don't think I can simply play on the GamePad either because (a) graphics are blurrier so that can't help and perhaps (b) having to position unideally to avoid gyro movements.)

Those would be my four big requests for a patch. I think they would make a significant difference. You know, this is a lovely game and I really wish I could enjoy it to its fullest. I'm endlessly eager for games like Rainbow Curse and Woolly World that are 2D that I have trouble imagining I'll have this same issue with, or even Zelda which has a pretty reliable camera and barring any Twilight shenanigans should be pretty trigger-free for migraines. I know I'm not enjoying Toad to the extent it deserves to be enjoyed, and I'm a bit jealous in all candor of those who are able to. I love Toad. I may not be HolyBaikal in my Toadette fandom, but I do love Toad. Sometimes I'll turn to my wife and say "aow naow," the way Toad says when you bop on his head. (Yes, I am very lucky she loves me. Eli will usually perk up and look at me like, how did you come up with that noise? Haha.) But Toad and Yoshi and Kirby are really meaningful and enjoyable characters for me, and I want to be able to enjoy their games to the fullest.

Zing

Banned
I don't get the topic title, or why people are claiming this is what Toad says at the start of a stage. I've always heard "time for adventure" in this and the other games.

Edit: repeatedly confirmed on other websites that is what he says. Is there a region version somewhere where he says "ready for adventure"?

TheMoon

I don't get the topic title, or why people are claiming this is what Toad says at the start of a stage. I've always heard "time for adventure" in this and the other games.

Edit: repeatedly confirmed on other websites that is what he says. Is there a region version somewhere where he says "ready for adventure"?

Actually, he says "diaper adventure."

maxcriden

http://www.mariowiki.com/Captain_Toad

Mario Wiki wouldn't lie. :)

ETA: http://e3.nintendo.com/games/wiiu/captain-toad-treasure-tracker/

Nintendo really wouldn't lie.

i'm just as confused as you, apparently most on gaf are certain he says ready for adventure.
I've tried but can't hear that at all myself, i'm 99% certain it's time for adventure.

robotrock

Banned
Decided to take the plunge and buy this today, until I saw that it's all sold out on Amazon?! Damn. Nintendo and their under-shipping.

Thanks! I didnt know any of it was co-op. It just looked like those games that are as fun spectating as it is playing. We'll probably just be taking turns :)

Zing

Banned

Yeah, and there only three lights, and two plus two is five, right?

The ears, they do not lie. At the start of a level, he clearly says "time". There may be other times he says ready, but I don't recall.

Super Mario 3D World, he clearly says "time for adventure":
http://youtu.be/ajh1FJ52Mbc

Captain Toad reveal trailer, at the end he clearly says "time for adventure":
http://youtu.be/m91qkP5ZaN8

The ears, they do not lie. At the start of a level, he clearly says "time". There may be other times he says ready, but I don't recall.

It's definitely "time" in 3DW not so sure in Treasure Tracker though. In that trailer he almost definitely says "ready". They are very very different, try listening to them side by side.

Vena

I swear it wasn't like that 30 minutes ago!

Thanks though. Just bought.

They had this same weird thing with MK8 where they were selling them at a quick clip, and the stock would come and go as they recheck inventory and adjust orders or whatever goes on behind the scenes.

I'm pretty sure they assume they have X, when X sells out they recheck their stocks and if they find another Y, they add Y to the available orders. Over and over until they really run out of stock in all their warehouses. Same time they are also getting more copies from Nintendo based on some sort of forecasts.

rjc571

Banned
Can I have a hint (just a hint) on how to find the 1up mushroom in Blizzard on the Star Express? It's the only thing I have left to do in the first chapter. I've explored every goddamn inch of the level like 4 times now and I don't see any 1up mushrooms.

zroid

Banned
Can I have a hint (just a hint) on how to find the 1up mushroom in Blizzard on the Star Express? It's the only thing I have left to do in the first chapter. I've explored every goddamn inch of the level like 4 times now and I don't see any 1up mushrooms.

find something to touch

Funny I found that first. Took me forever to find the first gem though!

Ryce

I very clearly hear "ready for adventure" in both of those videos.

Top Bottom