• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker |OT| rrrrready for adventure!

Blues1990

This game, man. I feel like I'm being overdosed with cuteness, every time Toadette does her victory dance for a gold star. I'm also enjoying the bonus levels that have specialized challenges, such as the coin levels that involve the Double Cherry & Pickaxe power-up's.

I only wished there were more original boss fights, as Wingo can only offer so much until you stuff that magpie (is it a crow?) with a turnip for the third time in a row.

Malus

I'm 50% through the game after one evening of play, 100%ing levels as I go. I've died exactly once and rarely need to play any stage more than twice (and only twice because the extra objectives aren't stated on a first play).

I'm enjoying it plenty, but this is looking like a prime candidate for the re-sell pile at the end of the day.

It's easy to get frustrated at Nintendo's insistence on fixing shit that isn't broken for no tangible benefit. If you play upright on the couch, the gyro controls aren't an issue. If you want to utilize off-TV play in bed, well, you can't fucking move around at all lest you screw up your aim on the mine cart stages.

Blowing to move platforms wasn't fun when it was introduced on the Nintendo DS nearly a decade ago. It's not fun in Treasure Tracker. It's never going to be fun. There are at least half a dozen redundant buttons on the controller; one of them could have been mapped to this instead and nothing of value would have been lost.

A bunch of nonsense shoehorned into the game in order to utilize the Gamepad, when it's easy to argue that the experience would be as good or better if I could use anything else. I don't mean to come off too harshly. I knew exactly what I was getting into and am enjoying the game all the same. It's just really easy to complain about these little things because they could be so obviously solved.

I totally get what you're saying when it comes to Nintendo adding divisive/negative things for no particular reason. Brawl's tripping being the most egregious example.

But I just have a high tolerance for this stuff I suppose. The Wii was the first console I started playing a lot of games on, so I'm used to getting used to control gimmicks. None of the motion/blowing/tapping stuff impacted my experience. Also, I did actually find blowing on the gamepad kinda fun lol. I do it regularly to check for invisible coins. All this interactive stuff is probably to appeal to the really young part of the audience, although having options to turn them off would be nice to be more inclusive.

Anyone else using their index finger on the right control stick so you can run and move the camera at the same time? Just a little tip.

I love that that the
Draggadon boss levels
remind me slightly of 3D levels of the original Donkey Kong. Makes me kinda want a full game of that with DK as a villain again.

then you get to ride on top of Draggadon's head and breath fire as a segue after the second fight against him? SO AWESOME!

bart64

Banned
Quality post 645. I have often felt this way playing casual nintendo games and you nailed the feeling.

Not sure how much of this is fact or fanboy justification, but i do think it is a deliberate part of their casual games approach. These games are made to be accessible, so no confusing options allowed, minimal use of buttons ala iOS, and a cool factor that's unique to the Wii brand. In the developer's mind, seeing us get pissed off when the camera moves unexpectedly is less important than the uninitiated gamer discovering the thrills of a motion controlled camera, not getting disheartened by their brains inability to control each thumb independently, and maybe even standing up and twirling around in that trademark Wii moment of motion bliss.

The interesting part of captain toad is it seems to stand at a transition point between the casual and hobbyist approach. There is no harsh punishment for mistakes, but there are rigid rules and physical puzzles that can stump the most hardcore puzzle fan. The game is made for everyone at the core, but there are layers of challange more sophisticated than in 3d World to push your limits. Completing this game is a legitimate accomplishment to anyone, but to the casual player it is graduation from curiosity to genuine thrill from that heightened sense of victory that we love video games for.

This game is hybrid and forcing motion controls is a deliberate step toward the "one game for everyone" dream. It's annoying that there is no concession for people that are used to things controlling a certain way, but if that's what takes to make games like this and keep gaming moving, that's ok, maybe. Maybe, it is up to us to give a little and set the course for a unified reality, to accept each other's differences, and try seeing the world from their point of view. Maybe we don't need options that cater to our every whim, maybe we can share in a common experience and learn to celebrate the things we have in common.

(Option will be added with the next patch.)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
toadbird.gif

Favorite tracks so far are in Spinwheel Library and Touchstone Trouble.

Ditto, alongside the
pinball level.
Yokota sure loves his relaxing tunes.

Man, this game is a treat. Levels are fun (camera wonkiness aside), overwhelming with cuteness, lovely visuals outclassing 3D World, some really nice original tunes (plus I like some of the added sound effects in certain levels, like the moaning in the ghost house stages), and some tricky extra challenges.

Game is short, but it's oh so sweet.

Yuterald

Ditto, alongside the
pinball level.
Yokota sure loves his relaxing tunes.

Man, this game is a treat. Levels are fun (camera wonkiness aside), overwhelming with cuteness, lovely visuals outclassing 3D World, some really nice original tunes (plus I like some of the added sound effects in certain levels, like the moaning in the ghost house stages), and some tricky extra challenges.

Game is short, but it's oh so sweet.

Yeah, as with 3D World, I prefer the chill/relax-tracks more than the upbeat/melodic stuff. It's like the modern day equivalents to Dire Dire Docks-like tracks from Mario 64.

Camjo-Z

Episode 2 challenge times complete! Now to do Episode 3 and... wait, the Bonus episode has challenge times as well? Oh well... ready for more adventure!

Also, I lol'd when I realized how to get the challenge time on Razzle-Dazzle Slider. Why didn't I think of that the first time around?

maxcriden

We went to play Chapters 15 and 16 this evening and I have to say we really tried to be extra-careful with not rotating, spinning or zooming too much, but we're both sitting here with absolutely awful migraines and my wife has said that she will not be able to play the game anymore. 3DW is one of our favorites ever and we were both really looking forward to this and planning to spend a lot of time over the week I'm taking off of work for Christmas playing this on our staycation, so it is a great disappointment to her to not be able to play it.

Even with getting headaches I know I will still play the game, because I get moderately bad headaches near-daily anyway, but my wife's migraines have been much better controlled (with some intensive regular treatment interventions; she gets 32 Botox injections in her head and neck from her neurologist every few months), so we do not want her to have worsened headaches again. Sigh. I don't mean to go on about this, but it really sucks. I feel like if the camera was a bit less sensitive + you could turn gyro off (although holding the GamePad steady helps this not to move by accident) + there was a mid-zoom option, all of that would help a good amount. As it is, I'm trying to think of what game will feel special for us to play together instead because she'd be so looking forward to playing this together, we both had.

As I said, I don't mean to go on about this, but it is pretty disappointing.

AdanVC

I finally got the freaking game after looking like crazy all day on different malls on my city:
img_22998jaqa.jpg

If anyone in Mexico is having trouble to find it, Liverpool store is the only one that has the game available now. Edit: They also have NES Remix Pack wich came on friday as well :) Other retail stores will have till wednesday or even next weekend.

zroid

Banned

Sorry to hear that, max :'(

Does it help at all to use the L/R buttons to rotate the camera in 45 degree increments? Maybe, because the rotation is more predictable that way.

Roo

I finally got the freaking game after looking like crazy all day on different malls on my city:
img_22998jaqa.jpg

If anyone in Mexico is having trouble to find it, Liverpool store is the only one that has the game available now. Edit: They also have NES Remix Pack wich came on friday as well :) Other retail stores will have till wednesday or even next weekend.

How much? D:
Please don't tell me $999

Anyone that did the Challenge Times can help me with cutting my time on Ch.1 Level 18? Ten tries in a row that I get 128.

Also, how do you get 220 coins in Ch.3 Level 28?!!
Only a few challenges missing, then I'll finish up the Challenge Times to wrap up the Bonus levels. It was a bit short, but there's definitely replay value, and it's pretty great. Really want extra levels and a sequel already

We went to play Chapters 15 and 16 this evening and I have to say we really tried to be extra-careful with not rotating, spinning or zooming too much, but we're both sitting here with absolutely awful migraines and my wife has said that she will not be able to play the game anymore. 3DW is one of our favorites ever and we were both really looking forward to this and planning to spend a lot of time over the week I'm taking off of work for Christmas playing this on our staycation, so it is a great disappointment to her to not be able to play it.

Even with getting headaches I know I will still play the game, because I get moderately bad headaches near-daily anyway, but my wife's migraines have been much better controlled (with some intensive regular treatment interventions; she gets 32 Botox injections in her head and neck from her neurologist every few months), so we do not want her to have worsened headaches again. Sigh. I don't mean to go on about this, but it really sucks. I feel like if the camera was a bit less sensitive + you could turn gyro off (although holding the GamePad steady helps this not to move by accident) + there was a mid-zoom option, all of that would help a good amount. As it is, I'm trying to think of what game will feel special for us to play together instead because she'd be so looking forward to playing this together, we both had.

Sorry to hear that but it's just a game. It's not worth it to cause yourself pain over it!

Amir0x

Banned
This game is sooo fucking rad

but yeah the gyro camera is unfortunate, I don't like it either. Let me turn it off Nintendo, options are good.

Malus

Anyone that did the Challenge Times can help me with cutting my time on Ch.1 Level 18? Ten tries in a row that I get 128.

Also, how do you get 220 coins in Ch.3 Level 28?!!
Only a few challenges missing, then I'll finish up the Challenge Times to wrap up the Bonus levels. It was a bit short, but there's definitely replay value, and it's pretty great. Really want extra levels and a sequel already

Did you get the gold mushrooms? :)

Links_fantasy

This looks gorgeous but have to wait til start of January as I'm in Pal land, oh well still have tons of games at the moment to play.

AdanVC

How much? D:
Please don't tell me $999

No worries, it's $799! :) Speaking of that, when I saw the game, the damn price tag said $999 and I freaked out, but I called an employee about why it has that price because I saw on their website it was $799, so they scanned the game and yes the $999 price tag was incorrect.

zroid

Banned

That's the Wingo battle right? Hmm I dunno... seemed pretty straightforward. Did it in 112 I think on my first attempt at the challenge time. Assuming you're losing time on the boss fight, in which case just hit him on your first throw each time, and pick up another turnip immediately after tossing the first one.

Did you get the gold mushrooms? :)

MushroomS? I only got one, I think. I'll go check.

That's the Wingo battle right? Hmm I dunno... seemed pretty straightforward. Did it in 112 I think on my first attempt at the challenge time. Assuming you're losing time on the boss fight, in which case just hit him on your first throw each time, and pick up another turnip immediately after tossing the first one.

Yeah, I'm doing that. I think I may be losing some time early on, so I'll see how I can save it.

Camjo-Z

Here's a detailed explanation for you!

1. Immediately go forward, and head left once you've climbed up the ladder. If you're fast enough, you should be able to reach the pull switch just as the wind starts blowing.

2. Keep moving, and once again Wingo should be behind you, pushing you forward with the wind.

3. Once you get to the ladder, wait a little bit while Wingo catches up. Once he's blowing in the direction you need, grab onto the ladder and climb up just enough so you'll be ready to go once he stops. Then you're clear to get to the boss fight.

4. Once you get to the boss fight, make sure there are at least two turnips to pull up after he whistles. Hit him immediately when he shows up next or he'll disappear quickly, and then hit him again as he's calling more turnips. Finally, wait for his next round of turnips, then hit him again to win.

If you do all this, you should be good. I just tried it, screwed up once on the turnip part, and still got a time of 118.

Here's a detailed explanation for you!

1. Immediately go forward, and head left once you've climbed up the ladder. If you're fast enough, you should be able to reach the pull switch just as the wind starts blowing.

2. Keep moving, and once again Wingo should be behind you, pushing you forward with the wind.

3. Once you get to the ladder, wait a little bit while Wingo catches up. Once he's blowing in the direction you need, grab onto the ladder and climb up just enough so you'll be ready to go once he stops. Then you're clear to get to the boss fight.

4. Once you get to the boss fight, make sure there are at least two turnips to pull up after he whistles. Hit him immediately when he shows up next or he'll disappear quickly, and then hit him again as he's calling more turnips. Finally, wait for his next round of turnips, then hit him again to win.

If you do all this, you should be good. I just tried it, screwed up once on the turnip part, and still got a time of 118.

Hm, I think I did something similar, but I'll try to follow it more closely now. Thanks!
E: Thanks! I don't really know how much I did different, but got it now with 110.

Will be starting this soon. Had some credit at Walmart but I went to 3 stores starting release day and none had it. Rechecked today and finally got a copy. It was the only copy on the shelf too. Can't buy it on Walmart website either.

Anyone else have problems finding the game? Looking to be a low print game perhaps?

Vena

I hope they patch the camera for you. :(

I don't have any idea what it must be like since the camera does nothing to me at all, but I hope they can fix it so that you can enjoy it. I don't honestly know why the gyro is mandatory but they did fix Pikmin's wonky controls with a patch so maybe they'll fix this too.

Finished Episode 3, got the bonus levels left to go through. That stinger at the end
being the opening to 3D World
was pretty clever and a great lead in to the bonus content.

Zing

Banned
Target didn't stock the game yet. Preordered from Best Buy, but they haven't even shipped it yet. Bought from Walmart tonight.

So… where is the Amiibo functionality?

Nori Chan

Target didn't stock the game yet. Preordered from Best Buy, but they haven't even shipped it yet. Bought from Walmart tonight.

So… where is the Amiibo functionality?

They said it'll show up in 2015...but idk what can be added through amiibo? Lives and coins? I hope it's something significant

maxcriden

Sorry to hear that, max :'(

Does it help at all to use the L/R buttons to rotate the camera in 45 degree increments? Maybe, because the rotation is more predictable that way.

Thanks z. I'll give that a shot. I don't think it will convince my wife, though. The spin and zoom combo is just a bit migraine-inducing.

Sorry to hear that but it's just a game. It's not worth it to cause yourself pain over it!

I absolutely agree. I mean, it's the game I've been most looking forward to playing this year, but: end of the day, you're right, it is just a game. With that said, I already have the migraines anyways, so it doesn't make them *too* much worse for me, so I'll play through anyway. I appreciate your concern though!

I hope they patch the camera for you. :(

I don't have any idea what it must be like since the camera does nothing to me at all, but I hope they can fix it so that you can enjoy it. I don't honestly know why the gyro is mandatory but they did fix Pikmin's wonky controls with a patch so maybe they'll fix this too.

Thank you, Vena. It is a bit odd feeling like I can't just play any odd game, like say, F-Zero. Or like, with Teslagrad, you mostly move in a way using this flash-jump that creates a quick lightning effect on the screen that really bothers my migraines. (Same for my wife.)
(Oh, and also, don't even get me started on those terrible Rayman Legends bonus levels...!) Anyway, I know we don't sound like a lot of fun at parties, haha, but for the most part we manage and her migraines are pretty decently controlled these days for the most part. So, it's just a matter of being a bit careful of what can play (well, in terms of video games, in re: life otherwise there are plenty of subtle food restrictions for food triggers, and other stuff like that.) Anyway, I appreciate your kind words, thank you.

(Which was the Pikmin control patch? I think I missed the memo on that one.)

Malus

Honestly I think this game looks better than 3D World.

*runs*

Not a controversial opinion lol. Don't worry.

Not surprising to see them squeeze more out of the engine later in the Wii U's lifespan. Plus the stages are smaller so they can cram more detail in there.

Vena

They said it'll show up in 2015...but idk what can be added through amiibo? Lives and coins? I hope it's something significant

Doubt it will be anything overly big. They don't seem to be in the mind set of making Amiibo "DLC" anything actually heavily impacting a game. The furthest they've taken it is giving you a superfluous but sort of cool weapon in Hyrule Warriors.

Thank you, Vena. It is a bit odd feeling like I can't just play any odd game, like say, F-Zero. Or like, with Teslagrad, you mostly move in a way using this flash-jump that creates a quick lightning effect on the screen that really bothers my migraines. (Same for my wife.)
(Oh, and also, don't even get me started on those terrible Rayman Legends bonus levels...!) Anyway, I know we don't sound like a lot of fun at parties, haha, but for the most part we manage and her migraines are pretty decently controlled these days for the most part. So, it's just a matter of being a bit careful of what can play (well, in terms of video games, in re: life otherwise there are plenty of subtle food restrictions for food triggers, and other stuff like that.) Anyway, I appreciate your kind words, thank you.

(Which was the Pikmin control patch? I think I missed the memo on that one.)

I'm guessing you didn't play/couldn't play Azure Striker?

They added in Gamepad controls for Pikmin 3 after a patch, it didn't launch with it.

They make these really weird oversights in controls, and this camera issue seems like its nigh identical to the Pikmin 3 oversight. (Also because 3DWorld had toggle options for it.)

maxcriden

I'm guessing you didn't play/couldn't play Azure Striker?

They added in Gamepad controls for Pikmin 3 after a patch, it didn't launch with it.

They make these really weird oversights in controls, and this camera issue seems like its nigh identical to the Pikmin 3 oversight. (Also because 3DWorld had toggle options for it.)

You know, kubus and I made the Azure Striker OT but funnily enough you're right, when I watched footage of it I knew it was going to destroy my head, haha.

With Pikmin 3 I didn't find the camera too bad at all. We played Wiimote + Nunchuk long before the GamePad controls came out (I wasn't sure if you were referring to a different patch; that one I did know about) but didn't have an issue. No issue with 3DW, either. I suppose Captain Toad: Headache Tracker has that unique blend of spinning and zooming that just makes my head feel like it's spinning and zooming. ;)

Vena

You know, kubus and I made the Azure Striker OT but funnily enough you're right, when I watched footage of it I knew it was going to destroy my head, haha.

With Pikmin 3 I didn't find the camera too bad at all. We played Wiimote + Nunchuk long before the GamePad controls came out (I wasn't sure if you were referring to a different patch; that one I did know about) but didn't have an issue. No issue with 3DW, either. I suppose Captain Toad: Headache Tracker has that unique blend of spinning and zooming that just makes my head feel like it's spinning and zooming. ;)

I can definitely see that lightning spam and jumping and speed causing headaches, lots of flashing lights. Azure Striker is like "Epilepsy The Game".

I am more or less impervious to geometry and lighting things like this since I work with a lot of modeling tools and constant exposure to laser light. I wouldn't be of much use in my job if stuff like this got to me, lol.

I have yet to buy Pikmin 3 but that oversight was a real head-scratcher to me when I heard about it on Zero Punctuation. Its like "Why?"...

Well I just bought it. Should score me another $5 that I can use to get Fire Emblem for GBA. Looking at the screens of this game reminded me of Landstalker for the Sega Genesis. Something about exploring isometric environments just feels so solid.

maxcriden

I can definitely see that lightning spam and jumping and speed causing headaches, lots of flashing lights. Azure Striker is like "Epilepsy The Game".

I am more or less impervious to geometry and lighting things like this since I work with a lot of modeling tools and constant exposure to laser light. I wouldn't be of much use in my job if stuff like this got to me, lol.

I have yet to buy Pikmin 3 but that oversight was a real head-scratcher to me when I heard about it on Zero Punctuation. Its like "Why?"...

Oh, yes, flashing lights are not fun. My wife actually has temporal lobe epilepsy as well. The onset was about 3.5 yrs ago when I woke up to her having a grand mal seizure. Really scary. Thankfully on medication she has been seizure-free for about 3.5 yrs now. Which I am really grateful for. Luckily flashing lights were not a trigger for her when they did an EEG, but regardless they are headache triggers. I'm sure watching the infamous Porygon episode of Pokemon would be nightmarish for us.

Pikmin 3 is great. It was actually the Nintendo Land iteration of Pikmin that got us interested in playing it, and I'm glad it did because we hadn't been able to get into Pikmin games prior to that. We still have to beat the final part of Pikmin 3, though.

Top Bottom