• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cart Life |OT| retail life sucks

Salsa

been a while since I liked an indie game enough to make a thread, but this one's still in my mind since release and it just went up on Steam so:

topthing.gif

i9jwSZEEPfVnn.PNG

to put it bluntly, Cart Life is a management simulator, but the trick is that you not only manage your character's work, but also his personal life.

media:

Trailer

GiantBomb quick look

You can either Buy it on Steam for $5 (currently $3.49), or get it for free with one less character in the game's website. Buy it though! it's worth it.

It's really good GAF, specially for those looking for something different. Highly recommended.

DocSeuss

I don't really have the money to spend, especially after I foolishly used $5 to pick up Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

I'll get the free version mentioned in the OP, make sure to pick it up when I can, kill hitler, and try to advertise it to everyone I can if it's good enough.

It certainly looks fascinating.

Jawmuncher

Having to manage the personal life aspects sounds interesting enough. I think I'll try the website version first as a demo and if I like it it'll get my money.

Mesoian

I was really enjoying the juggling stuff except for having to remember EVERYTHING (like where to buy X, where to buy Y, a list would have been useful). Interestingly enough, the gameplay was what got under my skin the first time playing through. I finally got to the point where my social life was evened out, and I could balance buying supplies, working and taking care of my daughter, and it was my inability to remember how to remember how to make certain drinks that made me turn the game off in frustration. Something as simple and little as that, I couldn't look it up, I had to remember how to make each drink and I got really upset when THAT was my stopping point.

Which, in my eyes, makes the game a resounding success, since balancing your frustrating with how you live your life is a massive part of that game.

But yeah, the game could stand to explain itself a little bit better even though going in blind and failing dramatically is part of it.

Salsa

I was really enjoying the juggling stuff except for having to remember EVERYTHING (like where to buy X, where to buy Y, a list would have been useful). Interestingly enough, the gameplay was what got under my skin the first time playing through. I finally got to the point where my social life was evened out, and I could balance buying supplies, working and taking care of my daughter, and it was my inability to remember how to remember how to make certain drinks that made me turn the game off in frustration. Something as simple and little as that, I couldn't look it up, I had to remember how to make each drink and I got really upset when THAT was my stopping point.

Which, in my eyes, makes the game a resounding success, since balancing your frustrating with how you live your life is a massive part of that game.

But yeah, the game could stand to explain itself a little bit better even though going in blind and failing dramatically is part of it.

had a similar experience my first time through, but im pretty sure that's exactly what they're going for, yeah

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So is this one of those fucking "art" games?

Okay, I couldn't ignore this. Who the hell cares if it's an art game or not? Fuck this lame, cynical attitude towards any game that dares to exist outside the boundaries of what a videogame is "supposed" to be. I get that this kind of game might not be for everybody, and that's fine, but one of the greatest things about this medium is how amazingly flexible it is. A videogame can be so many things. I would never give up traditional gaming, but I'm glad that stuff like this exists and I'm even more glad that I'm open-minded enough to experience it for myself instead of rejecting it because it's different.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
One of the most stressful games I have ever played. I can't bring myself to actually see the character's story through. They took my daughter away. :(

Can't possibly recommend it highly enough.

I downloaded the free version some time ago and still haven't launched the game :(. I'm probably going to get the steam version soon.

Keslord

Banned
Okay, I couldn't ignore this. Who the hell cares if it's an art game or not? Fuck this lame, cynical attitude towards any game that dares to exist outside the boundaries of what a videogame is "supposed" to be. I get that this kind of game might not be for everybody, and that's fine, but one of the greatest things about this medium is how amazingly flexible it is.

You're reading WAY too deep into my post. I just asked if it was an "art" game. I did not imply anything further. Fuck, my favourite game is Metal Gear Solid 2, the poster boy of "2deep4u" shit.

What's that sound trucks make when they're backing up? Oh right it's:

Beep, beep, beep

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You're reading WAY too deep into my post. I just asked if it was an "art" game. I did not imply anything further. Fuck, my favourite game is Metal Gear Solid 2, the poster boy of "2deep4u" shit.

Fair enough, it just reminded me of a certain attitude that gets under my skin. Your post was just a launching pad for my rant.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down

Beep, beep, beep

then maybe don't use swear words that are usually interpreted as negative

Bought it earlier, will have to give it a try once finals are done.

Originally saw it from the GiantBomb Quick Look, and that really got me interested in it, should be good to play once I dig into it.

Salsa

Okay, I couldn't ignore this. Who the hell cares if it's an art game or not? Fuck this lame, cynical attitude towards any game that dares to exist outside the boundaries of what a videogame is "supposed" to be. I get that this kind of game might not be for everybody, and that's fine, but one of the greatest things about this medium is how amazingly flexible it is. A videogame can be so many things. I would never give up traditional gaming, but I'm glad that stuff like this exists and I'm even more glad that I'm open-minded enough to experience it for myself instead of rejecting it because it's different.

what's funny is that this is very much a gamey game at its core

Salsa

btw your first "playthrough" is gonna be pretty shitty. You should try to explore every location and where you can get everything you'll need (food, etc) and then restart it.

blamite

Immediately bought this on Steam based on hearing about it from Idle Thumbs. I look forward to trying it out soon. I don't normally play these management type games but this one seems really interesting so I figure I need to at least check it out a bit.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I bought this tonight but the game won't load. Every time it crashes and says something about the video resolution. I've tried messing with all the settings but nothing helps. Anybody else?

Salsa

I bought this tonight but the game won't load. Every time it crashes and says something about the video resolution. I've tried messing with all the settings but nothing helps. Anybody else?

mm, did you try windowed?

game's a bit buggy, but its constantly being fixed. Its giving me an error with everything above 640x480, but it doesnt bother me since its all pixel art

Salsa

man been a while since I tried to do a playthrough for real. Never played Vinny before and im having a hard time

Salsa

This game excites me but there's no way I'm ever playing it. I don't need a video game telling me "YOU SUCK AT LIFE"

it's not really like that. You can get very good at it and succeed

its grim in tone but its not as if it is intended for you to fail no matter what

The creator, Richard Hoffmeier is a really smart dude. We talked about a TON of things around the corner from Indiecade East about why he made it, the state of indie games, etc.

I need to give it another shot. My first time through I forgot how to get home and passed out.

Salsa

You have to beat the game before it becomes good?

Well that's stupid.

what? no?

have you ever played a roguelike? where you actually get better through subsequent playthroughs? it's sorta like that

It's a hard game, what I mean is that you're probably not gonna succeed on your first go at it because by failing in certain aspects you might realize what you did wrong and fix that when you play it again.

It's not a linear game

it's not really like that. You can get very good at it and succeed

its grim in tone but its not as if it is intended for you to fail no matter what

No, I know that you can win, it's just the tone seems incredibly oppressive so that failure (should you encounter it) would be crushing.

It's like £2 on Steam so I'll end up getting it eventually, probably, I'm just not looking forward to it :(

Salsa

No, I know that you can win, it's just the tone seems incredibly oppressive so that failure (should you encounter it) would be crushing.

It's like £2 on Steam so I'll end up getting it eventually, probably, I'm just not looking forward to it :(

I'd say Andrus Poder's campaign is the harshest. I mean yeah they can take your kid away if you play as Melanie, but Andrus' just a poor old bastard, lol

Vinny aint that sad :p

Salsa

I'll check this out. Looks interesting.

How long does an average run through take?

It depends. Not much but it might be hard getting there, you'll definetly get some good hours put into it.

Vinny's campaign is endless depending on how you play him

angelfly

After playing this game I realized I was unfit to raise a child yet the whole time I thought I had everything under control. I did it in one sitting and finished feeling a bit sad.

Well it certainly made me feel like I was doing a boring, repetitive job, so if that was it's intention then it succeeded.

I couldn't really say I had fun playing it, it was interesting though.

Salsa

Well it certainly made me feel like I was doing a boring, repetitive job, so if that was it's intention then it succeeded.

I couldn't really say I had fun playing it, it was interesting though.

I guess that's a valid point depending on what you like. Some people feel like Harvest Moon is a chore, this is like a harsher harvest moon-lite

Played 2 hours of it so far and it's really interesting. I just wish there was a better way of serving coffee or sorting the papers rather than typing. I'm clumsy when it comes to typing ya see. izodhfasfoohjesus.

Top Bottom