• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Personal Story of How The Last of Us Saved My Life

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Today is the 10th anniversary of The Last of Us, and I wanted to share a personal story with all of you that I haven't really talked about at all with people in my life. People often see video games as trivial and futile, but I've always seen them as art. I hope this highlights the power of video games and how they can impact our lives in unexpected ways.

A few years ago, I had almost quit gaming and was battling depression and suicidal thoughts. There came a time when I just couldn't go on anymore. I was figuring out the best way to end my life and was only waiting for a moment of absolute weakness to do it.

I had this game sitting on the shelf that I never opened. I didn't know anything about it — I hadn't even watched any trailer — and I had nothing to do on a weekend, so I started playing it.

The game's powerful opening hooked me, and I became super interested in what happens next. I didn't realize I ended up playing till 2:30 AM that morning. I finally liked something, and it felt good to have something to look forward to.

Through the game's story, I discovered a powerful message: the importance of finding something worth fighting for and enduring through life's darkest moments.

Joel, a character burdened by loss and sorrow, taught me the significance of holding onto hope, even when the odds seem insurmountable. Witnessing his journey from a broken man to someone who rediscovers his purpose awakened something within me. It reminded me that even in the midst of pain and struggle, there can be flickers of light that guide us toward a better tomorrow.

P9isDzu.jpg

While Ellie's character symbolized resilience and strength in the face of adversity. Her unwavering spirit inspired me to confront my own demons head-on and find the strength within myself to persevere.

l3cuT1e.jpg

The Last of Us showed me that even when life seems unbearable, there is always something worth living for — whether it's a loved one, a passion, or simply the hope for a brighter future.

The Last of Us saved me. And I'm forever grateful.

To anyone who is still struggling:

8S6y0Gy.jpg

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
And some will try to tell you that stories in games don’t matter.

TLOU is a masterpiece through and through and is still the benchmark for story driven games, only surpassed by Part II
True. And I have so much respect for creators and artists who share their work, of this immense quality, with people, not even knowing the kind of impact their work could have.

Like people from Naughty Dog, like Neil Druckmann, wouldn't even know how their work positively affected so many people and literally saved lives.

Stories matter. Games matter. Their work matter!

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I pity that this thread never reaches the popularity and attention any "lol xbot", "lmao sony pony" post would generate.

"Gamers", amirite.

Glad you found solace and your calling through TLOU. Its masterfully executed.

bender

What time is it?
TLOU had such a great cast of characters and the voice talent to go with them which made it easy to overlook the well worn story concept.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
And some will try to tell you that stories in games don’t matter.

TLOU is a masterpiece through and through and is still the benchmark for story driven games, only surpassed by Part II
Bad stories in games don't matter. Last of us has a fantastic story.

Mr.Phoenix

life can be tough at times. Sometimes, everyone needs that little something.It could be someone helping you out and giving you $10k. It could be someone fixing your car for free. Or it could be a random videogame...or even a song.

GametimeUK

Beautiful story thanks for sharing. It's crazy that such a seemingly random game you knew nothing about could have such an impact on you. It just shows how some things just come along in the right place at the right time out of nowhere.

I'm not even going to crack a joke, I was in a dark place in my life before getting my CDL, and becoming a professional truck driver. To the outside observer it probably looked like I had just decided to up and abandon my entire life on a whim, when in reality I was on my way to self-destructive downward spiral of drinking way too much, and wallowing in self-pity over feeling like a failure in life.

I can easily imagine an alternate timeline without me in it if I didn't get away from that.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Beautiful story thanks for sharing. It's crazy that such a seemingly random game you knew nothing about could have such an impact on you. It just shows how some things just come along in the right place at the right time out of nowhere.
So true. And still surprises me to date. I knew nothing about the game, its plot, story, anything. Yet it changed the trajectory of my life.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'm not even going to crack a joke, I was in a dark place in my life before getting my CDL, and becoming a professional truck driver. To the outside observer it probably looked like I had just decided to up and abandon my entire life on a whim, when in reality I was on my way to self-destructive downward spiral of drinking way too much, and wallowing in self-pity over feeling like a failure in life.

I can easily imagine an alternate timeline without me in it if I didn't get away from that.
I'm glad you pulled out of it. I worked in a truck-related industry for almost a decade, and I understand how important you guys are and the hard work you o. Thank you for keeping the economy moving.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Also, I know it is trite, but you are never as alone as you think you are. Even if it is just a community like GAF, warts and all, we are here for you.

bender-and-fry-hug.gif

...I'm still going to kill you all as you all are still humans.
True. As much as we all fight and bicker, I still love you guys. The fact that I mustered the courage to share this with you all when even my family doesn't know is a testament to that.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Happy to hear you found a love for something, that pulled you out of that dark place.

I wish you and everyone here, good health and happiness.

Last edited:
This is the type of story that shouldn't go unnoticed. It reminds me a lot of the Skyrim grandma.

I love stories like these. Everyone goes through some rough times and to know that games like many other distractions in life are able to pull back people from the depths of their own personal hell is awe-inspiring. Thanks for sharing Heisenberg.

Crayon

Pretty wild what the right game at the right time can do for a person. I've had at least one change me in adulthood and several more get me through an unhappy childhood.

Vick

Glad for you OP. This has been my absolute favorite game of all time when I first played it. Nothing compared before, and since only Witcher 3 had a similar impact.

TLOU had such a great cast of characters and the voice talent to go with them which made it easy to overlook the well worn story concept.
Well worn story concept of dooming humanity to save someone you love? Remind me how many games with such plot around?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well worn story concept of dooming humanity to save someone you love? Remind me how many games with such plot around?
nier-nier-replicant.gif

The difference is he actually did doomed humanity, in TLOU2 people still around living their lives after the first game

Last edited:

Markio128

I can’t imagine how you must have been feeling, but I’m glad you came out the other side. I’ve not been in that situation myself, but I can say hand-on-heart that games have got me through a few moments of loneliness after a heartbreak, especially as a teenager trying to find my feet in life. Gaming is escapism at its finest.

nowhat

Hey OP, while I do not share a similar connection to the game (as much as I like it), I'm glad that it did it for you.

For anyone else, it is not a failure to seek help. If you feel you are out of your depth, do it. As a matter of fact, do it before you are in that pit. It's not something to be ashamed of. Knowing your own limitations is a strength, even.

Trunx81

Love your text, OP. And a powerful message, too.

I played TLOU right before my daughter was born. We had already elected “Ellie” as her name, and like you I didn’t know nothing about the game. The surprise when I first heard a name that would from there on accompany me the rest of my life had something magical.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Hey OP, while I do not share a similar connection to the game (as much as I like it), I'm glad that it did it for you.

For anyone else, it is not a failure to seek help. If you feel you are out of your depth, do it. As a matter of fact, do it before you are in that pit. It's not something to be ashamed of. Knowing your own limitations is a strength, even.
Wise words!

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Love your text, OP. And a powerful message, too.

I played TLOU right before my daughter was born. We had already elected “Ellie” as her name, and like you I didn’t know nothing about the game. The surprise when I first heard a name that would from there on accompany me the rest of my life had something magical.
These coincidences make it so much more special.

Hugare

TLOU is 100% about the execution.

Its one of my favorite games, not so much because how good the story is, but the acting/cinematography/chemistry/pacing/directing is immaculate

The chemistry between Joel and Ellie is something that I havent seen replicated in no other game.

bender

What time is it?
TLOU is 100% about the execution.

Its one of my favorite games, not so much because how good the story is, but the acting/cinematography/chemistry/pacing/directing is immaculate

The chemistry between Joel and Ellie is something that I havent seen replicated in no other game.

Yep. The supporting cast is wonderful too. Still wish we'd get a Bill side story a la Left Behind.

Fredrik

That’s such a heartwarming story. I’ve been through some dark times myself by losing my parents early and wife got cancer, so I’m nearly in tears just reading that, life can be brutal. Hope you’re doing good now and keep on gaming and stay positive!

As for myself it’s Bethesda that has helped me over the years, specifically Oblivion and Skyrim by offering me escapism like nothing else when life keeps on throwing in boss battle after boss battles into my life.
Some drink and do drugs to hit the pause button on life. I play games. 👍

Top Bottom