• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II Director doesn't understand relaunching critiscism.

Flabagast

I mean it's a real low-effort remaster, visual enhancements just consist of small changes in ini file.

Added features are nice I guess but they do not bring anything substantial to the table.

I think the game is a masterpiece but I expected more, notably on the visuals.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
ND needs to spend some more time trying to understand why people are upset. They feigned confusion back when the remake came out and people asked why Dodge, Prone and enhanced melee from TLOU2 didnt make it into the remake,

I mean I dont agree with the criticisms over a $10 upgrade, but I understand exactly why people are upset. You are calling this a remaster without offering any meaningful visual upgrades. You are releasing this 3.5 years after the original without any meaningful visual upgrades. Just call it directors cut like Kojima and Sucker Punch did and move on. Their engineers do the bare minimum here and then wonder why people are unhappy?

Insomniac at the launch of PS5 was after to add RT reflections, better character models, next gen hair tech, increased NPC and traffic density and way better textures to Spiderman Miles' PS5 version. GG did the same for HFW. ND is following in the footsteps of Sucker Punch and SSM who did the bare minimum, but I dont remember their directors wondering why everyone was complaining. In fact, SSM owned up to it and said they wanted everyone to have the same experience which is why they didnt bother adding any PS5 specific features like RT or better character models.

I think ND has always felt they are above criticism. They have continuously released some very fake trailers and demos, and gotten away with it. I personally think this $10 upgrade is fine, but surely if that E3 2018 demo wasnt faked, they shouldve been able to include those character models, motion matching animations and Global Ilumination to the PS5 version now that there is no PS4 version holding it back. 3.5 years and they couldnt bring back those models or enhanced lighting? Or maybe that Ubisoft developer was right and they faked/scripted everything.

Was playing Horizon FW last night and good god the hero lighting enhances the shit out of Aloy. She looks a generation ahead of both Ellie and Drake, and on par with the bs 1080p 60 fps so called realtime trailer ND released for Uncharted 4. They smartly used the PS5's horsepower to get close to those visuals ND promised almost a 5-10 years ago. This was ND's chance to do the same and they blew it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
tlou_part_2_remastered_60a85cc5860da9a1c526521809507cdddf356d2d-scaled_345a4619-9eb0-40b6-8aef-d83e57b21290-1440x810.jpg

Recently the director of The Last of Us Part II Remastered, Matthew Gallant, who is a veteran at Naughty Dog and was also the director of The Last of Us Part I, claims that the remaster is the best experience of the game:

Elsewhere in the interview, Matthew Gallant claims that the visual leap between the original sequel and the remaster is reminiscent of the transition between The Last of Us on PS3 and The Last of Us Remastered on PS4. Both games (TLOU 1 and TLOU 2) were released at the end of the consoles' life cycle.

He told no lies. Maybe some of the haters are just..............................................hating.

GametimeUK

I think if TLOU2 Remastered wasn't labelled as a "remaster" it wouldn't receive as much backlash. Just call it a special edition of the game or a Directors Cut.

Comparing it to TLOU1 Remastered is a bit difficult since we now have backwards compatability and developers have been pumping out free updates to games. The PS3 version can't run on the PS4 so a re-release and remaster had to be done to reach the visual fidelity and framerate.

JaksGhost

It's funny seeing this for this game yet nothing else for the other Director's Editions and Remasters. This is just a bunch of people with a personal vendetta bitching up a storm about a game that's been haunting them for 4 years. Also you can already play the game at 60fps on the PS5 so you're not forced to pay for the upgrade if that's what you want.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Everytime I see remaster for this game I’m like “didn’t that just come out?” They started remastering when the game was still full price on the shelves. Insane

It won't be long until they get more 4 LOU remasters in a future for either pro or PS6.
What amuses me is the typical "hate" card people keep spamming. Its never their fault, its aways people for keeping hating. Devs are perfect.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
He obviously gets it. He's just doing PR poorly.
  • Minimal upgrade
  • Not free
  • Game just came out
  • Another remaster just came out
  • There are more remasters than actual games at this point
  • Oversaturation of the IP
  • TV show adds to oversaturation
  • Aiming a product exclusively at new PS5 owners excludes existing owners who have played this before
  • "If it's not for everyone that's fine." The people that's it not for will probably criticize you though.
Personally, I think the big problem is marketing. They could have just called this a free patch and it would have much better optics. Then sell the DLC for $10 with the new mode and the costumes, and the commentary track, and the lost levels. That's worth $10. What they're blowing here is marketing and messaging and how they packaged this product.

Most of this is true. But it's also won't matter in the medium to long term because it's mainly just super hardcore nerds that are complaining about the TLOU2 Remaster.

The majority don't thing TLOU is oversaturated. Nor do they think it's a big negative thing.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's funny seeing this for this game yet nothing else for the other Director's Editions and Remasters. This is just a bunch of people with a personal vendetta bitching up a storm about a game that's been haunting them for 4 years. Also you can already play the game at 60fps on the PS5 so you're not forced to pay for the upgrade if that's what you want.
A Director's Cut implies that it's a re-release of the exact same content with a couple minor additions (like deleted scenes, a commentary track). That's pretty much exactly what this is. Lost levels, commentary track and a small new mode.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
He told no lies. Maybe some of the haters are just..............................................hating.

You know what's funny? Check out the Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut review thread.

[DF] Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut PS5 Upgrades Tested

dEvAnGeL
I paid the $10, love the controller feedback, game looks cleaner on my 65 oled with the 4k CB.

The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered PS5 - DF Tech Review - A Worthy Upgrade?

dEvAnGeL
ND is now a remaster factory. And not even a good one at that.

Fake

Wasting time and resource remastering an early game... and not even make changes to be called 'remaster'. Here we have TLOUS fanboys. You guys totally deserve this clown edition.

The point is, if you have the money you should make whatever you want with them. On the other hand we can as well make critics about a non needed update/remaster thats not even free to begin with.

Wasn't Doom and Doom Eternal update free as well? I assure you is not hate I feeling now lmao.

But its a waste of time and money IMO, I not saying as a fact. You guys need to stop be so defensive.

The most funny is that PS4 with patch and PS5 perfomance mode are pretty much the same.

I mean, no way this is what a native PS5 can do vs a BC mode.

He didn't say anything in the Ghost of Tsushima Digital Foundry thread, but he did in fact like a comment prising the Director's Cut.

The comments he liked.

-Leyends mode
-60 fps update
-Enemy lock-on and new control scheme
-New island (15 hours of game)
-Japanese lip sync
-Better looking cutscenes
-Better resolution

I cant comprehend how people complain about SP wanting money when they have been delivering with the game since minute 0.

Shut *** **** up and let employees get paid for their work when they deserve it.

While a lot of people complained about the director's cut looking identical, he didn't have anything to say.

This is what fake outrage looks like. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Xaeroxcore666

Neo Member
May be this happens because is a "remaster" no one asked for, in the first place...And visually isnt even a proper remaster....Is more like a port and that´s it. Probably good for the hardcore fans of TLOU2, irrelevant for the others. We want more real next gen games in our PS5...Our vanilla PS5!

R6Rider

Gold Member
You know what's funny? Check out the Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut review thread.

dEvAnGeL

dEvAnGeL

Fake

He didn't say anything in the Ghost of Tsushima Digital Foundry thread, but he did in fact like a comment prising the Director's Cut.

The comments he liked.

While a lot of people complained about the director's cut looking identical, he didn't have anything to say.

This is what fake outrage looks like. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Ice Cube Friday GIF by Max

HL3.exe

Should've simultaneously released.

Complaining would've stopped, or at least lessened a bit because of it's expanded availability on another platform apart from Playstation.

kiphalfton

Put more effort next time if you don't like criticism.

This generation has been a dumpster fire for naughty dog. No new games to speak of. Just two remasters and a remake.

And yet there will be those who can't see through that thinly veiled attempt at trying to fool people, be pedantic, and exclaim "but those are new games".

Coming off the PS4 gen, this is just sad. Since we got Uncharted 4, Last of Us II, and Uncharted Lost Legacy.

phant0m

I have no issue with the remaster ND, but you need to stop being idioms (pun intended), throw the dog a bone and show us something new.
Yup, that’s my take. In the 4 years since TLOU2 launched you’ve produced a remake, a remaster and a TV show all of the same IP. Plus another remaster of the 2 PS4 Uncharted games.

Why are you allergic to making something new ND?

Hugare

No one paid $60 for TLOUR
And I got it for £34.99 at launch here in the UK so I'm sure across the pound it was cheaper than the $49.99 too
Let's just call this what it is, a last ditch effort with zero effort put in to get more sales out of TLOU2 as the sales are stagnant.
Man, TLOU Remastered had even less effort than this and was sold for $50 (retail, if that matters) one year after release

Was it also a last ditch effort to get more sales out of TLOU 'cause they were stagnant? Seriously, you guys

FeralEcho

No wonder he doesn't get it...There are more remasters and remakes in this franchise than actual original games...It's quite impressive!

Guy is gonna be SHOCKED when an actual new game is announced 😂

killatopak

Complaining about no visual difference is dumb because if that’s the only thing you’re complaining about, you are still welcome to buy the cheaper PS4 version and play it on your PS5 or if you already own it, you’re not forced to buy it.

Although I say it is dumb, it is a low hanging fruit and easy to complain about. There’s simply not enough visual difference between remasters unlike TLOU remastered. To the common eye, it’s hard to spot if there really are improvements. I don’t blame people for thinking that its low effort.

While $10 for the new game mode is worth it, that mode coming out just after GOW released a similar mode for free isn’t a good look.

Admittedly, I do have complaints about the way the story panned out in TLOU2 but it was the farthest thing I thought about regarding this remaster. Please don’t lump everyone with criticism about the game as simply a hater because of it.

The idea that people wouldn't be complaining about the "remaster" if it was released as a "director's cut" is funny to me. If this was released as a "Directors Cut" instead of a "Remaster", people here would still bitch and complain about the lack of graphics upgrades etc. People clearly want to hate this game and ND no matter what. I get it, ND have been slimy as fuck this gen, but I'd respect people more if they just outright say they hate them instead of using weird mental gymnastics to justify it. Not that hard.

Tsaki

Naughty Dog put the trolls into a corner with this one
1. If you have the game, all the new content is $10. The game still is BC and in you library, with even a 60 fps update on it.
2. If you are a new player, it's a $50 game, no different if they kept the PS4 version at $50 and sold it to you.
So now, they have to say non-sensical stuff. "You can't remaster a game that is 4 years old" (says who, Nintendo does it). "You should have given all of this for free anyway. I don't care that is costs money to make, GIVE ME FREE STUFF BERNEY"

Mr Moose

He's right about the first part but...
Elsewhere in the interview, Matthew Gallant claims that the visual leap between the original sequel and the remaster is reminiscent of the transition between The Last of Us on PS3 and The Last of Us Remastered on PS4. Both games (TLOU 1 and TLOU 2) were released at the end of the consoles' life cycle.
Huh? They barely changed anything.

hinch7

Meanwhile Santa Monica Studios offer a free upgrade for their games. And a free DLC recently for Ragnarok.

Plus, how many damn re-releases do we need for this franchise. Its way too much.

Last edited:

Stooky

May be this happens because is a "remaster" no one asked for, in the first place...And visually isnt even a proper remaster....Is more like a port and that´s it. Probably good for the hardcore fans of TLOU2, irrelevant for the others. We want more real next gen games in our PS5...Our vanilla PS5!
no people are just haters. sooooo many other games have done this. And some charged full price for it BUT this one gets all the hate.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Should have been an update/patch to the regular game, which already had some basic ps5 improvements. It doesn’t justify its own SKU.

It is. LOL.

They just happen to be ALSO offering it as an all-in-one package for new users. Which is fine.

Noone is being forced to buy the upgrade with additional content. The game always ran and looked great on PS4 and was previously patched to support some PS5 features for free.

There is literally nothing to complain about, and yet... here we are!

hinch7

No. It's $10 for Ragnarok PS4 to PS5.
True. Though with the amount of effort into this 'Remaster' they could've patched most of this and offered DLC as a separate entity. But yeah that's to be expected, after Horizon FW, Sony did say that PS4>5 upgrades will be $10+.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

Meanwhile Santa Monica Studios offer a free upgrade for their games. And a free DLC recently for Ragnarok.

Plus, how many damn re-releases do we need for this franchise. Its way too much.
If you purchase the God of War Ragnarök standard edition for PlayStation 4, you can upgrade to the PlayStation 5 version for $10 USD (or currency equivalent).

The DLC was free though, but there was still a PS4 → PS5 upgrade fee when the game was released.

Last edited:

Arun1910

PS5 "improvements" should have been a patch. I watched the DF video and the improvements are minimal for Fidelity mode with Performance being identical to the PS4 versions PS5 patch.

No Return could have been a $10 DLC, would have sat better.

Last edited:

Killer8

It's very funny that a borderline semantic difference between calling it a "Remaster" versus calling it a "Director's Cut" would be all that would be needed to absolve this game of people's unjustified anger.

How dare Naughty Dog use the wrong word to describe their optional $10 upgrade!

saintjules

For some reason it's hard for people to turn away from something. They didn't point a gun to your head to buy it.

There's new products that come out annually. You don't need to buy any of it, lol.

Last edited:
This industry is full of whiny, spoiled fucking idiots.

Obviously a small team did this remaster, its only$10 bucks and you get enough to justify the price of two starbucks coffees. These remasters are done by a group of employees that are paid a weekly salary and this probably took a few months to put together. Why would this be free? because you feel entitled? If you're not interested either play the PS4 version or skip it altogether, I don't understand why anyone is whining about this. They are not pulling valuable resources from their other projects because at least this part 2 remake was done by a much smaller team hence the price.

I could not wait for the inevitable remaster because bringing this to PS5 platform natively is just the right thing to do, the second season is filming and it did game of thrones numbers. All the new fans going into this franchise will now experience it on PS5 in its full remastered, cutting edge glory. The ps4 version at 60fps might be okay to most but the picture quality was soft, the pop in super annoying and it took a full minute almost to load, no haptics, etc.

I personally specifically did not touch this masterpiece for two years knowing that the remaster is inevitable and I wanted to experience it again in native 4k fidelity via 120hz VRR for that smooth framerate and all the bells and whistles, this alone is worth the 10 bucks bar none.

If you dont care about this remaster skip it but don't whine about it like a prick, no one gives a fuck about your opinion and let newcomers and old fans alike experience these two games in the best way possible.

Last of Us is a huge franchise pushed into the mainstream by the HBO show, this universe is not going anywhere.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

PS5 "improvements" should have been a patch. I watched the DF video and the improvements are minimal for Fidelity mode with Performance being identical to the PS4 versions PS5 patch.

No Return could have been a $10 DLC, would have sat better.
I'm seriously trying to figure out the mental gymnastics you guys are performing right now because WHAT?! Announcing a mode DLC for $10 is okay but not as a package with PS5 features?! WHAT?!

hinch7

This industry is full of whiny, spoiled fucking idiots.

Obviously a small team did this remaster, its only$10 bucks and you get enough to justify the price of two starbucks coffees. These remasters are done by a group of employees that are paid a weekly salary and this probably took a few months to put together. Why would this be free? because you feel entitled? If you're not interested either play the PS4 version or skip it altogether, I don't understand why anyone is whining about this. They are not pulling valuable resources from their other projects because at least this part 2 remake was done by a much smaller team hence the price.

I could not wait for the inevitable remaster because bringing this to PS5 platform natively is just the right thing to do, the second season is filming and it did game of thrones numbers. All the new fans going into this franchise will now experience it on PS5 in its full remastered, cutting edge glory. The ps4 version at 60fps might be okay to most but the picture quality was soft, the pop in super annoying and it took a full minute almost to load, no haptics, etc.

I personally specifically did not touch this masterpiece for two years knowing that the remaster is inevitable and I wanted to experience it again in native 4k fidelity via 120hz VRR for that smooth framerate and all the bells and whistles, this alone is worth the 10 bucks bar none.

If you dont care about this remaster skip it but don't whine about it like a prick, no one gives a fuck about your opinion and let newcomers and old fans alike experience these two games in the best way possible.

Last of Us is a huge franchise pushed into the mainstream by the HBO show, this universe is not going anywhere.
A wild Neil Druckman appears!

Three

Everytime I see remaster for this game I’m like “didn’t that just come out?” They started remastering when the game was still full price on the shelves. Insane
The game came out in 2020 we're now in 2024. I wouldn't call that "just came out".

Even just this guy's messaging in this one interview is bad and reminds me of Mattrick saying that if you don't want to be online you can get a 360. You don't ever say this product isn't for exisiting fans. You explain that the new content was made just for them and they're gonna love it, and that the minor visual upgrades are a side thing to make it more welcoming for new fans of the show.
Where does he say it's not for existing fans? there is nothing really controversial about what was said:

"My sense is there’s an audience for this for whom the idea of a PS5 version is thrilling. I’m also speaking for myself, I’m excited we can bring this to the fans, and if it’s not for everyone, that’s fine."

You just seem to be mad that a PS5 version exists with added modes that even existing owners can upgrade to for $10. If you're still not interested just play your PS4 version with the free performance patches on PS5. What exactly is there to complain about?

Calverz

Completely out of touch. It’s a simple cash grab with thrown in cancelled factions 2 content. Il still get it for pc though lol

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
we want to get you the best experience with all the hardware features on a PS5 native version of the game
Fuckin' BS. Even PC version won't do that for that matter. But that's what TLOU Part I did.
Matthew Gallant claims that the visual leap between the original sequel and the remaster is reminiscent of the transition between The Last of Us on PS3 and The Last of Us Remastered on PS4. Both games (TLOU 1 and TLOU 2) were released at the end of the consoles' life cycle.
Yeah, no shit. That's exactly what I've said in DF thread. Thanks for proving me right, Matt.

Last edited:
Completely out of touch. It’s a simple cash grab with thrown in cancelled factions 2 content. Il still get it for pc though lol
a 10$ upgrade is a cash grab lol, are you 14 and cant afford it? Or do you expect big patches 4 years later for free. CD Projekt Red is the only dev that does that, game development is insanely expensive and a small fee to upgrade is fair.

What is a fucking cash grab is modern warfare 3, a full priced 70$ game

tmlDan

Also others did more and without charging any cent.
Very rarely is it free updates, and usually it came with stipulations like CP2077 that was absolute ass at launch so they had to give it for free to win back good will.

In BG3 it seems like they didnt even finish the game, so they're finishing it up via updates after.

Last edited:
Top Bottom