• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II Director doesn't understand relaunching critiscism.

sendit

a 10$ upgrade is a cash grab lol, are you 14 and cant afford it? Or do you expect big patches 4 years later for free. CD Projekt Red is the only dev that does that, game development is insanely expensive and a small fee to upgrade is fair.

What is a fucking cash grab is modern warfare 3, a full priced 70$ game
No mans sky

tmlDan

No mans sky
Again, another example of an unfinished or broken product like CP 2077. They are free because they failed consumers and had an insurmountable amount of hate. (Plus they're indie and have like 8 team members)

His new game would be a disaster if they didn't do what they did.

Last edited:

Calverz

a 10$ upgrade is a cash grab lol, are you 14 and cant afford it? Or do you expect big patches 4 years later for free. CD Projekt Red is the only dev that does that, game development is insanely expensive and a small fee to upgrade is fair.

It’s not remastered though. So technically, it’s false advertising. It’s just dlc.

saintjules

The Office Thank You GIF

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
I dont mind, nobody is forced to buy it, if your happy with the PS4 version stick with that. Some will say the upgrades dont warrent a cost and should be free but nobody works for free, and if you are other than for a good cause then your a mug. Im no PC dick waver, but if you want to play a game on better settings when you have better hardware for free, then PC is the way to go for you.

sendit

Again, another example of an unfinished or broken product like CP 2077. They are free because they failed consumers and had an insurmountable amount of hate. (Plus they're indie and have like 8 team members)

His new game would be a disaster if they didn't do what they did.
God of war Ragnarok Valhalla

hinch7

Very rarely is it free updates, and usually it came with stipulations like CP2077 that was absolute ass at launch so they had to give it for free to win back good will.

In BG3 it seems like they didnt even finish the game, so they're finishing it up via updates after.
Only because publishers charge you for them. Prior HFW got a free update before they started charging for them. Bethesda games on PC get free upgrades/visual overhauls, same for Valve titles. Recent CDPR games too. Witcher III got a free update from PS4/XBO to PS5/XSX.

Charging for DLC is understandable though. And a proper visual overhaul with new/updated assets.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Only because publishers charge you for them. Prior HFW got a free update before they started charging for them. Bethesda games on PC get free upgrades/visual overhauls, same for Valve titles. Recent CDPR games too. Witcher III got a free update from PS4/XBO to PS5/XSX.
so did LoU2, it got a 60 fps patch for ps5

Three

Charging for DLC is understandable though. And a proper visual overhaul with new assets.
TLOU2 got a free PS4 to PS5 performance patch already.

sendit

I wipe my ass with ten dollars. However, I believe you missed the point completely.

Alebrije

After the cancelation of Factions ND needs fresh money ASAP. I Bet that if Factions were on the market now or announced for 2024 this patch called "TLOU 2 remaster" would be free.

Last edited:

sendit

Yep, an online game got updates. You gonna list every game in existence? im right in saying it rarely ever happens.
Titanfall 2

Keep moving the goal post to fit your narrative. I’m sure you’ll do this is in your next post.

tmlDan

Titanfall 2

Keep moving the goal post to fit your narrative. I’m sure you’ll do this is in your next post.
Titanfall 2? LOL

This? LOL

It added game modes/balancing changes and such but that is not as big as this update

uqAxr3y.png

Last edited:
I wipe my ass with ten dollars. However, I believe you missed the point completely.
So you feel entitled to this for free? Or is in “the principle” 🤣

You’re probably one of those that buys 10$ outfits or $5 emotes and complains that this is a cash grab.

sendit

So you feel entitled to this for free? Or is in “the principle” 🤣

You’re probably one of those that buys 10$ outfits or $5 emotes and complains that this is a cash grab.
Incorrect. You keep missing the point for some reason.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Man, TLOU Remastered had even less effort than this and was sold for $50 (retail, if that matters) one year after release

Was it also a last ditch effort to get more sales out of TLOU 'cause they were stagnant? Seriously, you guys
No you're right, but TLOU Remastered didn't have a PS3 Pro & PS3 backwards Compatible PS4 that ran the game at 60fps and at higher resolution
That's the difference.
And even if it did, the difference would still be noticeable because they did change stuff and improved them in TLOU Remastered.
And the TLOU Remastered launched while TLOU was still got product still selling millions.
TLOU2 isn't in the same situation.
And with how similar the two ports are you might as well wait till TLOU2 Remake running on TLOU3 engine on PS6.

Hugare

No you're right, but TLOU Remastered didn't have a PS3 Pro & PS3 backwards Compatible PS4 that ran the game at 60fps and at higher resolution
That's the difference.
So now you have even more options to play the game at a better state than you had with TLOU on PS3: PS5 60 FPS free patch or paying the $10 upgrade vs paying $50 and having no free patch back then

I'm still not understanding how you are trying to paint this as a problem. It's a much better offer than we had back then.

And even if it did, the difference would still be noticeable because they did change stuff and improved them in TLOU Remastered.

They really didnt, man. TLOU Remastered upgraded the resolution to 1080p at launch (1800p when the pro launched), upgraded the models, shadows and the framerate. Nothing else was touched.

Part II remastered not only did all that but also is giving us new modes (No Return + Guitar playing) and Dualsense support. At $10.

And the TLOU Remastered launched while TLOU was still got product still selling millions.
TLOU2 isn't in the same situation.

Are there any receipts? Part II had sold more than 10M as of 2022, 2 years after release and before the TV show

And if you wanna wait until the Remake on PS6, you can play it free of charge on your PS5 at 60 FPS.

Something that you wouldnt be able to with the original on your PS4

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yup, that’s my take. In the 4 years since TLOU2 launched you’ve produced a remake, a remaster and a TV show all of the same IP. Plus another remaster of the 2 PS4 Uncharted games.

Why are you allergic to making something new ND?

GAAS bug got em! Also blame Jim Ryan for that.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So now you have even more options to play the game at a better state than you had with TLOU on PS3: PS5 60 FPS free patch or paying the $10 upgrade vs paying $50 and having no free patch back then

I'm still not understanding how you are trying to paint this as a problem. It's a much better offer than we had back then.

They really didnt, man. TLOU Remastered upgraded the resolution to 1080p at launch (1800p when the pro launched), upgraded the models, shadows and the framerate. Nothing else was touched.

Part II remastered not only did all that but also is giving us new modes (No Return + Guitar playing) and Dualsense support. At $10.

Are there any receipts? Part II had sold more than 10M as of 2022, 2 years after release and before the TV show

And if you wanna wait until the Remake on PS6, you can play it free of charge on your PS5 at 60 FPS.

Something that you wouldnt be able to with the original on your PS4
As I said, it's got that working against it.
Having the options is the problem that TLOU Remastered didn't have.
Look it don't really bother me that they're "Remastering" it.
To me it's a fancy marketing term for a Port which they done since the dawn of time.
But it is just a straight port and isn't using the PS5 power whatsoever, neither did PT1.
TLOU PT1 is literally what they could have done on PS4 is they wanted to instead of the Remaster.
Just like they could of done more with this, if they wanted to.

Last edited:
How about the fact that it’s the laziest "remaster" we’ve seen in years? The game looks identical to the PS4 version.

Should have called it a director’s cut and it would have been an easier pill to swallow. Never mind the fact that these guys claim improved textures and shadows but DF even with a 4x zoom can’t spot the differences.
It's not identical but I know what you're saying. this is a lazy remaster full stop.

BlackTron

How about the fact that it’s the laziest "remaster" we’ve seen in years? The game looks identical to the PS4 version.

Should have called it a director’s cut and it would have been an easier pill to swallow. Never mind the fact that these guys claim improved textures and shadows but DF even with a 4x zoom can’t spot the differences.

Excuse me, but the visual upgrade is the same as the TLOU remaster. He let us know this himself!

Yeah, I fully agree with this. It's been made and worked on for people who want to buy it. That's it, don't buy it if you don't want to 🤷‍♂️ . Also, it'll for sure make PS money. And it worked so well with the PS3 > PS4 conversion of the first game, why wouldn't they do it again with II? Totally get it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the "consternation" is how frankly silly it is to give a numerical score out of 10 to a remaster of a 3 1/2 year old game, and treat it like a separate product. I do think there's a larger conversation to be had around that, and I definitely think that not every commerical release of a game product should be subject to a full-on review as if it's a new game.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

This PS5 version makes sense but the name does not. I think ppl are upset by the fact that the definition of a remaster is not really this and they have called it a remaster. It technically is a remaster but the level of work in what they have delivered to call it a remaster is pretty low. They should understand that the name was not fitting to what was delivered. Should of called it Director's Cut, Extended Version or Complete Edition, something like that!

Last edited:

Toons

Look, I didn't like TLOU2. In fact it pretty much killed my interest in replaying the series and any future entry. I'm glad some people liked it though. But lately what's been really repelling me from this franchise are the people involved in making it. They really do come off high on their own supply, like the success has gotten to their heads. Constant re-releases, director commentaries, Neil obviously trying to break into Hollywood. I'm not saying no dev should be proud of their success, but there is just something about these guys that rubs me the wrong way. They're not the only "Cinematic Gaming" dev in town, and there are other devs that rival them.

I would not be surprised at all if their future games fall short of their predecessors. I have no way of proving this obviously, but I can't shake the feeling that Naughty Dog might be losing sight of what made them great in the first place. All I've seen from these guys for the past two and half years is their never ending TLOU circlejerk with re-releases, a multipleplayer game that probably won't get made, and the show, which quite frankly was just okay and very overrated.

No, what you've seen is their successes, unending and constant because despite any ideological squabbles with these guys it is well and truly evident they know what they are doing and they do it well and they have an audience.

Praying for ones downfall like this tends only to reflect your own perspective, not the reality of the situation. Even the hilarious line about Neil 'trying' to break into Hollywood.... hes not trying. He already did it my guy.

Sometimes individuals and products you dont care for will be massive successes. Thats just how it is. You have to accept it and move on.

Muffdraul

I haven't been able to take any TLOU2 criticism seriously since the leak in April 2020. I'm sure there are people out there with legit criticisms against it the game itself. But if so they're drowned out in an ocean of salty butt hurt snowflake alt-right axe grinders.

Last edited:

Filben

Was it Todd Howard who said if you want us to stop (re)releasing Skyrim then stop buying it? Or was it just one of those quotes that has never been said in reality. Anyways, I think it works for many other things as well.

Also, of course I'd buy the PS5 version if I'm new to the system and haven't played the game before. Of course I'd go with the best version available. However, if there wasn't a PS5, I could still play the PS4 version and have a great experience. Try that with games that don't exist (through BC) on your current console... those games need a remaster to be played at all without having a retro console still plugged in.

Xaeroxcore666

Neo Member
This PS5 version makes sense but the name does not. I think ppl are upset by the fact that the definition of a remaster is not really this and they have called it a remaster. It technically is a remaster but the level of work in what they have delivered to call it a remaster is pretty low. They should understand that the name was not fitting to what was delivered. Should of called it Director's Cut, Extended Version or Complete Edition, something like that!
Couldn´t be more agree. I know this product has more content, which itself justifys the aditional 10 bucks (if look at from that perspective, 10 $ is cheap for what they added), but the thing is, people at least expected the visual gap that was, for example, between TLOU PS3 and TLOU remastered.

Top Bottom