• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cassidy claims he is "close to 50" votes on Obamacare repeal

No way they pass it. They lose seats in the midterm if they pass it.

I mean, yeah, every time it comes up there seems at least one non-Collins/Murkowski GOP Senator says "nay", and the effects on citizens and the insurance industry is dire, but who knows?

The thing that gets me is that this is in the teeth of the GOP splitting into two warring halves. Now there's THREE factions that only one of will like each outcome.

Strike

cassidy2-226x300.jpg

Read this as the rapper "Cassidy" is close to 50 votes on Obamacare repeal
Yup.

linkboy

Too close for comfort

That's the same reason why he voted no on the last one. He wants everyone (Democrats and Republicans) to sit down and actually discuss a bill, instead of the Republicans just pushing a bill up for vote like they did last time.

That's the same reason why he voted no on the last one. He wants everyone (Democrats and Republicans) to sit down and actually discuss a bill, instead of the Republicans just pushing a bill up for vote like they did last time.

While that's what he said, that's not really what he meant last time, IMO. What he wanted that wasn't going to happen was Ryan bringing this up for a normal vote in the House (where it would have failed because the Freedom Caucus would have voted no) instead of trying to ram it through the House as fast as possible so that they had something for the president to sign. In other words, if the last attempt had passed, the House would have basically tried to place all the blame on the Senate, seeing as they're the ones that wrote the bill and the House members just passed it through. And no one in the Senate wants to be left holding the bag on this incredibly unpopular legislation.

Flake doesn't look like he's going to make it out of the primary regardless.

Yeah, while Heller is looking like he will probably lose in the general election to his Dem challenger, Flake is looking like he's going to get blown out in his primary by a Trump-endorsed candidate (and I don't think there's been a strong Dem candidate to step up to run against him yet).

Meier

I heard about this on the new Pod Save America episode although I think they said they thought this guy could get 44-45 if I recall. They said it would result in 32 million people losing healthcare. How is it even possible that anyone would vote yes after the outcry over multiple bills with more coverage?! It's fucking bonkers.

No one is worried about this which makes me really worried
Heh, that is more or less what Dan Pfeiffer said but about himself in particular.

JettDash

I heard about this on the new Pod Save America episode. They said it would result in 32 million people losing healthcare. How is it even possible that anyone would vote yes after the outcry over multiple bills with more coverage?! It's fucking bonkers.

If true, that's even worse that the crap they were trying to do before. Cassidy tried to pre discredit the CBO estimate, but if it's that bad, no way are they going to get 50 votes.

chaos789

Banned
They are really desperate to take away chronically ill peoples health insurance therefor access to health care. Considering I am one of those people this is personal for me. The Republican party really is a bunch of slimey cunts.

I don't even know why Republicans are scared of passing this. It's horrible policy, yes, but they're also horrible people passing it and their voters are idiots. We're increasingly polarized, there are more red states than blue states. Despite that, far more blue seats than red seats are up in the Senate in 2018, so in all likelihood, Republicans could actually make gains there. And the House is gerrymandered to oblivion, making it very unlikely they'll lose the majority despite Trump's unpopularity. There's no better time than right now for them to continue to be the monsters that they are.

Shauni

I think mostly people aren't talking about it because no one sees it having a real chance to pass. The only way is if McCain breaks his word outright and votes for it despite it not going through proper procedure. Which isn't an impossible thing, but since he had such a point of it the first time, it feels less likely

Shauni

I don't even know why Republicans are scared of passing this. It's horrible policy, yes, but they're also horrible people passing it and their voters are idiots. We're increasingly polarized, there are more red states than blue states. Despite that, far more blue seats than red seats are up in the Senate in 2018, so in all likelihood, Republicans could actually make gains there. And the House is gerrymandered to oblivion, making it very unlikely they'll lose the majority despite Trump's unpopularity. There's no better time than right now for them to continue to be the monsters that they are.

This is deeply unpopular with their own voters, and despite the gerrymandered nature of the House, the majority they have is razor thin of only 24 or so seats. The House is very venerable next year despite the gerrymandering

This is deeply unpopular with their own voters, and despite the gerrymandered nature of the House, the majority they have is razor thin of only 24 or so seats. The House is very venerable next year despite the gerrymandering

And democrats can't be relied upon to vote in the midterms, particularly voters under 40.

2018 will be easier for Republicans than 2020, and voters' memories are short. They do it now or they do it never.

Shauni

And democrats can't be relied upon to vote in the midterms, particularly voters under 40.

2018 will be easier for Republicans than 2020, and voters' memories are short. They do it now or they do it never.

Yes, there has never been a midterm where Democrats have made gains in the history of the United States

Yes, there has never been a midterm where Democrats have made gains in the history of the United States

2006 was before the 2010 wave that ushered in Republicans that got to draw new district lines that we're now stuck with until 2020 or later. Republicans run this thing, there's not much chance of that changing in 2018. I'd be willing to bet blame space's account on it.

Shauni

2006 was before the 2010 wave that ushered in Republicans that got to draw new district lines that we're now stuck with until 2020 or later. Republicans run this thing, there's not much chance of that changing in 2018. I'd be willing to bet blame space's account on it.

Despite that, they are barely holding on to a majority as is, but yes, history of midterm elections begin and end with 2006

JavyOO7

You are right but hopefully wrong. Hopefully the under 40 Dem crowd gets off their butts and vote.

Ri'Orius

District lines don't apply to Senators, right?

Shauni

OK, well, when you wake up on November 7 next year and Republicans still comfortably control the House and Senate, don't act surprised.

They don't "comfortably" control anything now, so I will be surprised. I won't be totally shocked if they still have majorities, but I guess if you're just going to give up on it and dismiss any kind of possibility that it can happen it's your choice. I'll chose to vote.

District lines don't apply to Senators, right?

More red states than blue states. Despite that, 25 of the seats up next year are Democratic seats, only 9 Republicans are up for reelection.

The 2 senators per state thing is a killer.

They don't "comfortably" control anything now, so I will be surprised. I won't be totally shocked if they still have majorities, but I guess if you're just going to give up on it and dismiss any kind of possibility that it can happen it's your choice. I'll chose to vote.

Oh, I'm voting. But I live in a Democratic district and neither of my Senators (Burr, Tillis) are up for reelection. My vote isn't going to do much, though I'll still cast it.

Shauni

Oh, I'm voting. But I live in a Democratic district and neither of my Senators (Burr, Tillis) are up for reelection. My vote isn't going to do much, though I'll still cast it.

Why? You've obviously giving up any hope of ever having Democrats win again. I would just look to moving abroad

Why? You've obviously giving up any hope of ever having Democrats win again. I would just look to moving abroad

I didn't say there's no hope of Democrats winning again. I said there's no hope in 2018, and I firmly believe that. 2020 is the next best chance to make a positive change, one that can be lasting as a Democratic wave at the state level can change the landscape for the next decade.

I'm going to vote in 2018 because I don't want to be a hypocrite. And I'm going to try my best in 2020 to see Thom Tillis defeated in North Carolina and for Donald Trump to get tossed onto the trash heap of history.

Shauni

I didn't say there's no hope of Democrats winning again. I said there's no hope in 2018, and I firmly believe that. 2020 is the next best chance to make a positive change, one that can be lasting as a Democratic wave at the state level can change the landscape for the next decade.

I'm going to vote in 2018 because I don't want to be a hypocrite. And I'm going to try my best in 2020 to see Thom Tillis defeated in North Carolina and for Donald Trump to get tossed onto the trash heap of history.

If they can't win in 2018, and Reps will make gains as you think, I don't see how you see any chance of 2020 being that different. The Senate map will be much better, but the hurdle the House faces that you deem as impossible to clear will still be there. If it's impossible in 2018, it's probably just as impossible at any point in the future. And if they make gains in the Senate, it'll probably negate any progress Dems manage to make in 2020 back to a slim GOP majority

Zolo

Didn't the previous attempts prove 48-49 Republican senators would vote for a napkin with the words 'Repeal Obamacare' on it?

Jesus, they just can't let this go. If I were a horrible, awful Republican, I would have to off myself. No way I could live with myself with such hate, maliciousness, and stupidity. 😞

If they can't win in 2018, and Reps will make gains as you think, I don't see how you see any chance of 2020 being that different. The Senate map will be much better, but the hurdle the House faces that you deem as impossible to clear will still be there. If it's impossible in 2018, it's probably just as impossible at any point in the future. And if they make gains in the Senate, it'll probably negate any progress Dems manage to make in 2020 back to a slim GOP majority

Democrats, particularly young democrats, will actually turn out in 2020. That's the difference. If we could get people to vote in 2018, perhaps it could be different and the Republicans actually sitting in districts that Hillary Clinton won might have a chance of losing. But I don't hold much hope in that actually happening. Too many of my generation and younger can't be bothered.

Get the 18-29 and 30-44 groups to turn out in 2018 and surprise me.

Turnout_by_age.png

When those lines are falling 20% or more in midterms and the top lines are dropping closer to 10%, and with older voters skewing Republican, Democrats are at a decided disadvantage in midterms. Can they overcome that? Sometimes. But if you add that disadvantage to a gerrymandered map, it's not happening in the House. And Democrats will have their hands full defending their own seats in the Senate.

2018 is toast. When young voters vote again, it will be 2020, and vulnerable Republicans can go down.

I never see this but have you ever noticed that Republicans have (probably since Reagan) had a monopoly on patriotism and American pride?

This doesn't seem to be part of the strategy of the Democrats. I call myself a liberal (on issues such as abortion and gay marriage for example) but I am a proud American even for all the faults we as a country have of which there is a laundry list.

I never see this but have you ever noticed that Republicans have (probably since Reagan) had a monopoly on patriotism and American pride?

This doesn't seem to be part of the strategy of the Democrats. I call myself a liberal (on issues such as abortion and gay marriage for example) but I am a proud American even for all the faults we as a country have of which there is a laundry list.

Those who are smart pretend they're Canadian. Can't be Patriotic if everyone laughs at you. I've been abroad and I will NEVER admit I'm American, ever. It's just too damn embarrassing.

JettDash

I don't think Rand Paul will ever vote for an "Obamacare lite" bill. He is perfectly incentivized not to. He can say the bill isn't libertarian enough, thus maintaining his "principles" , while at the same time not screwing over his constituents who benefit greatly from Obamacare.

And yes he did vote for the skinny repeal bill (but not the BRCA) .His reasoning was that since he skinny bill didn't add any new laws with the ones it repealed, that it was better than nothing.

Top Bottom