• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle Story by Sauropod Studio [Kickstarter 400% Funded]

Gilby

Didn't click this thread earlier because of the generic name. I just saw an entry of this on Indiegames.com and decided to check out the Kickstarter video.
I think it looks great and can see myself having fun with this.
The bricktons reminded me a bit of the imps in Dungeon Keeper, and makes me wish someone would make a spiritual successor that looks as fun as this.

Same thing happened to me. I thought the game looked awful in screens, but in motion it looks fantastic.

r1chard

They've passed 300k (goal 80k) and posted an update.

ThankYou.jpg
No solid word on stretch goals at this point as I believe this response genuinely took them by surprise. We'll see what they come up with - they have 27 more days to do so.

The've also posted an important clarification; something that was clear from the video but not from the pledge descriptions:
After a large amount of questions regarding the first reward, we'd like to clarify that for 15$ you OWN the game! You will never need to pay anything ever again. Unfortunately, we cannot reformulate the reward description.

Also not clear from the kickstarter page but explained in the video is that the "prototype" is not the game they showed back in November, but rather a cut-down version of the core gameplay from the current codebase. A way for them to test out the core gameplay before the release the full game. Very clever and reminiscent of the pre-release of the Spore creature creator to test it out / seed the universe.

Aku-Audi

One of my best friends in real life (Mattias "Anosou" Gerdt) is part of the music team for this game, so I am really happy to see the overwhelming success the fundraiser has had. The more work that kid gets the better.

Michan

This game really caters to me, so I've backed it. I hope they're able to hire some extra developers with the surplus funds in order to produce a really solid final release.

Did anyone else instantly think of Doshin the Giant when you saw these workers?

I did!

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Wow this looks amazing. I live RTS, but I hated the fact that I had no goal in Minecraft or Terraria... This looks right up my alley

patapuf

What is with the current obsession with games where you can build things?

they have always been popular, on PC. The genre was in a bit of a slump in the last years and games where you build stuff were rare. Minecraft and co are fixing that.

The prototype is up for download for those who backed 25bucks or more.

Controls are a bit clunky and there are a few bugs here and there. I really like the feeling though. I really love those bricktons :)

r1chard

Prototype controls are unusable on my laptop with a touchpad :-( Even with a mouse they're kinda funky. Good to see the prototype out though!

mike23

Controls are shitty. Hopefully they get a full overhaul.

Who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to require space to be pressed to move the camera around in a camera based game? It's be like having to hold space when you wanted to move in an FPS.

Also, the game feels too slow for me. At the pace I was playing, it would have taken 30 minutes to build a small castle. The ones they built in the videos would probably take hours of just watching the screen.

After a bit I turned on debug mode to add more bricktrons to speed it up, and the pathing and stuff was pretty broken. They were getting stuck in between my stockpiles and a handful of them just stopped moving. Nothing I did could get them to continue on their task.

r1chard

Yeah, it's a prototype. Full of bugs, as you'd expect from such a beast. They've been quite up-front about that.

Also, from their latest update, it would appear they're quite aware that the control system sucks :)

r1chard

Thanks to the update I fired the game up for the first time in months. I've reverted to having no idea how to play it. So perplexing.

I saw this for the first time today and the trailer instantly sold me on the game. Have the issues people were talking about in this thread been addressed in the steam early access version? Its been almost a year since most of those posts were made

Twinduct

Thanks to the update I fired the game up for the first time in months. I've reverted to having no idea how to play it. So perplexing.

Same! Sadly it seems the pathfinding for blocktons took a hit! Hell feels like I need to hold their hand when building anything above two levels now.

I bought this game on impulse today on steam cause I thought it looked cool by the trailer, and boy was I disappointed. Never again will I buy without coming here to see the opinions of fellow Gaffers.

Globox_82

Banned
800k? what are they going to do with extra cash? Should there be some limit with how much over the budget people should go?

r1chard

This youtube video has a pretty good overview of the game controls. I defy anyone to watch more than 5 minutes of it and not be shaking their head at the utterly bizarre and often arbitrary and inconsistent controls required to do basic things in the game. Ugh. Fixing the control system really has to be made a priority for these guys. The game has so much potential but it's just unplayable :(

Top Bottom