• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair |OT|

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So Chapter 10 is basically an 8-bit boss rush.
Comes with NINE 8 bit songs:
Vampire Killer
Stalker
Wicked Child
Walking on the Edge
Heart of Fire
Out of Time
Nothing to Lose
Poison Mind
Black Night

At least a summon for Charlotte, and new souls for Soma...

Simon levels up. His whip changes from leather to chain (maybe more) as you lvl subweapons. He can toss fireballs out of his whip by attacking with a qcf motion.

They also added the ability to purchase 2 8=bit weapons under "Hunter Weapons" in the shop.

That's all I can list now, you'll have to find the rest in game or on G.Faqs ^_^

This is the first DLC I've actually purchased for this game... and I have to say, I actually feel as if these 2 pieces are quite worth the combined 400 pts cost, this time.

Gfaqs Copy/Paste: From: Here.
Current Lineup:

Souls:
R. Skeleton: Throws an 8-bit bone
R. Black Leopard: Shoots out a Black Leopard
R. Queen Medusa: Summons a Queen Medusa Head which shoots two snakes that crawl across the ground
R. Zombie: Summons a Zombie that walks forward
R. Medusa: Same as normal Medusa Head. Except it costs two less MP
R. Raven: Summons a Raven fammilar
R. Dragon Cannon: Increases CON (I'm going to assume it increases it more than Bone Pillar)
R. The Count 15 MP: Summon an 8-bit Dracula.
R.Death: Summon 8-bit sickles.

Spells (Charlotte):
R.Fireball
R.Summon Skeleton
R.Death Scythe

Normal Boss Drops:
Dextro Custos (Shanoa)
Sinestro Custos (Shanoa)

Hard Purple Chests:
Dextro/Sinestro Custos (Shanoa)

Shop:
R.Dagger (Simon)
R.Axe (Simon)

Enemy Drops:
Frankenstein (R.Creature): Berserker Mail
R.Death: Death's Robe

best dlc so far.. the stage is huge and you fight almost all the 8-bit bosses, dracula ("the count") is really hard too, no soma/alucards owning for free.

Wizpig

NOOO, stop it, someone please say that the DLC sucked.

Ok, i'll probably buy this... :( i hate Konami, but this sounds so good.

Yeah Stage 10 is really cool. It's practically the entirety of Castlevania 1 except you can run through with badass characters zipping all over the place.
On the hard setting it turns into a nightmare. Since the enemies behave similarly to their Castlevania 1 brethren to balance it out they hit hard and on the higher difficulty they spit out tons of fireballs(especially Drac, he'll kick your ass even on normal).

Simon is awesome as well. He's small and seems to move faster than every other character(like I can actually get away with not wearing winged boots ever now and then for once). He doesn't have any fancy tricks aside from the QCF attack but he hits hard.

Daigoro

FUCK. this games DLC release model is fantastically full of shit!

i havent played this game in forever due to how they are releasing all of this crap. seems like the game is still pretty popular though.

and this:

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Yeah Stage 10 is really cool. It's practically the entirety of Castlevania 1 except you can run through with badass characters zipping all over the place.
On the hard setting it turns into a nightmare. Since the enemies behave similarly to their Castlevania 1 brethren to balance it out they hit hard and on the higher difficulty they spit out tons of fireballs(especially Drac, he'll kick your ass even on normal).

Simon is awesome as well. He's small and seems to move faster than every other character(like I can actually get away with not wearing winged boots ever now and then for once). He doesn't have any fancy tricks aside from the QCF attack but he hits hard.

-is driving me crazy. i obviously need to buy this. CV1 is one of my favorite games ever.

i need to get back into this game asap. but im very hesitant to start collecting all of the fragmented super expensive DLC. wouldnt even know where to start (not including Stage 10. i need that bad.)

i need to make sure i never miss it when the DLC goes on sale one day. that would be a dark day indeed.

Wizpig

I heard some players are complaining that the colors are too bright, lol ;D

But yeah, i will definitely buy this... damn you Konami.

I'm not going to buy new characters though, i really want a pack with all the characters included. (and one with all the levels)

Well, fuck. Stage 10 sounds goddam awesome. Looks like an update applied when I booted the game earlier. Anyone know if they fixed the whole 'you can't see other people that are using DLC characters except as knights' bullshit?

Wizpig

BMX Bandit said:
Well, fuck. Stage 10 sounds goddam awesome. Looks like an update applied when I booted the game earlier. Anyone know if they fixed the whole 'you can't see other people that are using DLC characters except as knights' bullshit?
No. :(
Balance things.

Anyone plan on running Survival mode?
I don't get it. This mode has become a ghost town for some reason.
My Shanoa sucks so bad. Gotta run levels 8 and 9 to get her newer stuff as well.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Dammit and FUCK! I don't even own a working 360 anymore but I'd love to play a SotN-esque Castlevania game! Would you guys say it is worth re-buying a 360 console *just* for Harmony of Despair if I'm a SotN fan and love the idea of multiplayer? Or should I simply not bother? That is honestly the only 360 game I'm interested in to be honest :(

Sectus

isamu said:
Dammit and FUCK! I don't even own a working 360 anymore but I'd love to play a SotN-esque Castlevania game! Would you guys say it is worth re-buying a 360 console *just* for Harmony of Despair if I'm a SotN fan and love the idea of multiplayer? Or should I simply not bother? That is honestly the only 360 game I'm interested in to be honest :(
A friend of mine bought a 360 only for this game and he didn't regret it. So you wouldn't be the first to do so.

Just note that the game is a lot more fun and replayable when playing with friends.

Wizpig

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Anyone plan on running Survival mode?
I don't get it. This mode has become a ghost town for some reason.
My Shanoa sucks so bad. Gotta run levels 8 and 9 to get her newer stuff as well.
So there's no new stuff in the 8-bit level?
And if you don't buy the level 8/9 DLC you are basically worthless as Shanoa? asking because I play AS Shanoa.

Damn...

Getsu Fuma character pack and "The Legend of Fuma" stage out now.

banner.png

160 MSP and 240 MSP for map.
;_;

Lothars

I bought the pyrmid stage and characters for DLC but I wish they would release a pack because I would like to buy them all or I will just wait for a sale to pick it up.

Lothars said:
I bought the pyrmid stage and characters for DLC but I wish they would release a pack because I would like to buy them all or I will just wait for a sale to pick it up.
I haven't bought a single DLC yet, but those last 2 stages look so tempting.

Also wishing for a sale soon, and hopefully not next christmas or whatever.

DarkCloud

Really liking Getsu Fuma as a character. He fires a wave of flame which travels two characters width from him as his normal attack. his double jump is a spinning strike, and his dive kick is another spinning strike. I was abusing this quite often on the end boss for stage 1 to hit the arrows and the eyes while bouncing on his head.

He has 3 specials (no idea if he gets more); a rolling bomb which explodes and spreads fire along the ground, a spread shot shuriken, and a mid reaching sound wave that at low levels seems pretty strong.

I ran through stage 1 without equipping him with any defensive gear or whatnot and he blew through it...pretty strong character starting off with a tiny sprite easy for avoiding attacks.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Just started playing this again after spending 1200 on DLC and whatnot; loving it so far! Can't believe I didn't give this game more attention earlier. The Fuma character/stage are both pretty great, as well.

Daigoro

I finally started playing this somewhat seriously a few days ago. Still haven't settled on a main character yet though, but my Alucard and Soma are getting pretty buff. Shanoa and the whippers are cool too. Guess ill just keep switching it up until I decide to settle on a character type.

I bought Ch10 and Simon. Found some Yasatsunas running ch10 hard with some help. Those will help soloing for sure. Ch10 is great. It does looke kind of fucked up on hdmi though.

I'm having fun grinding away. Now I'm tempted to get more of the DLC.

Still gotta figure out how to get a few of the multiplayer achievements. Let me know if anyone is up for a Boned/dual crush/charmed run any time.

OnPoint

I still need to get the second pnemua with Shanoa... the game just will not drop it.

I bought all the levels but none of the characters or music packs. The levels were worth it, but still overpriced IMO

I see I'm not alone in my love/hate relationship with this game.

I'm a CV whore but when I bought the game initially I didn't know they were going to rape us with all this DLC pricing. I haven't bought any of it yet.

I'd really like a sale or some kind of bundle that has all the maps/characters/music for at least a small discount.

Wizpig

1] So, what's the level with the new spell for Shanoa?
2] 8-bit Simon or Getsu Fuma, between the two who is the most fun to play as? considering one of the two because they are "cheap", unlike Maria, Richter etc.
3] Any rumors on DLC bundles or deals of the week?

oh, almost forgot!

4] Do the DLC characters count towards the 10k kills / achievements?

Thanks

Wizpig said:
2] 8-bit Simon or Getsu Fuma, between the two who is the most fun to play as? considering one of the two because they are "cheap", unlike Maria, Richter etc.

oh, almost forgot!

Thanks
1. Ch8 Globus (like richochet rocket x 10), Ch10 Dextro and Sinestro Custos (weapon drops), Ch11 Luminato (from OoE
2. Simon is basically another whip user all their stuff is interchangeable gets a fireball that comes out of his whip with qcf+attack. Fuma has a spinning jump and different spells.
3. No idea but Ch11 was supposed to be the last of them.
4. I think so.

DarkCloud

Wizpig said:

oh, almost forgot!

Thanks

Which new spell? She gets Globus on Stage 8 boss drop Normal/Hard and Hard purple chests.
She gets Acerbetus on Stage 9 same conditions as stage 8. and she gets the Fire and Ice forms of the Custos glyphs as weapons on stage 10 same conditions as prior.

Of the two retro characters i found fuma to be the better buy...simon's just another whip wielder that uses less sub weapons than Jonathan and if you need another whip user richter's slide and julius's 8 way attack are way more useful than a tiny fireball fired from a whip.

and i already have that achievement so i have no clue there.

-edit-

Forgot about Luminatio as well. Stage 11 Boss drop...got mine on normal.

If you don't want all of her spells i say go for stage 8 and stage 11...Globus destroys EVERYTHING and the stage 8 boss is great for levelling hunter skills on. Luminatio is great damage as it's good against dark base which almost everything is in this game.

Hige

Wizpig said:

oh, almost forgot!

Thanks
1) Chapter 8: Globus
Chapter 9: Acerbatus
Chapter 10: Dextro/Sinestro Custos (weapon glyphs with fire/slashing and ice/slashing attributes, respectively)
Chapter 11: Luminatio

Globus and Acerbatus make Shanoa a freaking powerhouse. She got a huge boost from the DLC levels. Luminatio's alright. Keep in mind none of the DLC spells/subweapons raise ATK, only Shanoa's 4 spells from the original package do.

2) Simon is my favorite whip-user (tiny hitbox, fast attacks since his animations are only a few frames) out of the 4, but Fuma offers a more unique experience I guess. Fuma is more of a mage character though, his melee hitbox is inconvenient IMO so I prefer to use MP regen gear as his subweapons are awesome. I really like them both though, it's tough to say.

3) No.

4) I've read they count.

Despite all the complaining about DLC pricing, I've not regretted any of it. I got more play time out of this arcade title than most retail games.

With all the DLC the game comes to like 30$. But if you think about it, with all the DLC it's every bit as big as a DS Castlevania and those would be 30$ anyway.

Really hope they do more DLC. How bout a Castlevania 3 stage complete with Trevor Belmont. Or even better, if they take the Trevor Belmont sprite from Symphony of the Night and turn it into a real character. I hope the next two stages are all new, or perhaps based on Rondo of blood or something.

I think that 4pp said it best that while people are complaining about the prices, it seems like the DLC is targeted toward it's core players, not the people that want to run though the level once or twice at the cost of like $.50 or something, but expecting people to use it like a Diablo map and grind on it for a while (the real appeal of this title). Also without more DLC eventually the core players will move on and when the DLC does drop it will kind of a be a ghost town online.

Wizpig

Thanks everyone!

But is chapter 11 the Getsu Fuma one?
I wanted to get the 8-bit Castlevania one (ch 10?), but Luminatio from OoE... man! sounds awesome.

edit.

Actually, i forgot question 5] i feel slow, which equip should i hunt (boots? armor?) to run faster? i see people online running very, very fast.

DarkCloud

Yes 11 is the Getsu fuma stage.

They both have their uses when it comes to drops. Fuma gear that can be worn by whip wielders drops on 11 as well as shanoa's luminatio spell. Also hellmont (a normal enemy) can drop simon's plate on hard if you're having trouble getting it via dracula.

Chapter 10 however has drops for Charlotte (retro versions of deathscythe, Summon skeleton, and fireball) as well as the two Shanoa custos glyphs.

Also be warned that Chapter 10 is much harder (imo) to chapter 11. Aside from the boss of 11 the rest of the stage isn't as painful to traverse than 10 on hard. However you do get the 8 additional retro tracks alongside a remake of vampire killer with 10.

Wizpig

Well, i have 490 MS points, but in the end i think i'll buy some more and get both 8-bit DLC levels :'(
Scamnami will finally get me.

Thanks.

Can anyone answer this?

question 5] i feel slow, which equip should i hunt (boots? armor?) to run faster? i see people online running very, very fast.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I played this for hours upon hours on launch, man there has been alot of DLC, I plan on picking it up sometime soon, but before I do how active is online? Is it still easy to get into games?

Coxswain

You want the Winged Boots. I think they only drop from hard Dracula in the base game, but I think the most painless place to get them is Hard Astarte (Stage 7).

There's also Mercury Boots, but they're a lot slower and will still get you left behind in every group, and there's Sonic Boots, which are just a hair faster but very rare (I think they come from the boss of Stage 9, but I'm not sure), and I think some of the more recent DLC has had boots that have the same effect as Winged Boots, but they're all pretty hard to get.

OnPoint

Wizpig said:
Well, i have 490 MS points, but in the end i think i'll buy some more and get both 8-bit DLC levels :'(
Scamnami will finally get me.

Thanks.

Can anyone answer this?

I thought it was the Winged Boots

Wizpig

Coxswain said:
You want the Winged Boots. I think they only drop from hard Dracula in the base game, but I think the most painless place to get them is Hard Astarte (Stage 7).

There's also Mercury Boots, but they're a lot slower and will still get you left behind in every group, and there's Sonic Boots, which are just a hair faster but very rare (I think they come from the boss of Stage 9, but I'm not sure), and I think some of the more recent DLC has had boots that have the same effect as Winged Boots, but they're all pretty hard to get.
Argh :(

Zezboob

Wizpig said:
Can anyone answer this?
question 5] i feel slow, which equip should i hunt (boots? armor?) to run faster? i see people online running very, very fast.
Never played the DLC chapters, but for the vanilla game :

Winged Boots and the Mercury Boots (Winged are faster, both findable on chapter 6, Winged on hard and Mercury on normal)

DarkCloud

Winged boots which drop from Dracula Hard if you have no dlc...But drop much more often off of Ashtarte in chapter 7 Hard.

But even those are outdated now as chapter 9 drops Sonic boots which are a little faster than winged and have stat boosts on them whereas Winged has nothing but faster speed and higher jump.

honestly they've set it up so that if you want the best gear you kind of need all the dlc.

Robe Decollete for Female characters ch7
Shanoa's spells and glyph's ch 8-11
Philosophers stone (heal spell for maria and Yohko) ch9
Sonic Boots ch 9
Valmanway +1 ch11
Muramasa +1 ch11
Misser Ring ch11
Retro Equip ch10
Fuma gear ch11

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The game and it looks like all the DLC is on sale this week. Is it worth grabbing?

Whoops, it's next week... but the question still stands. :lol

Cetra

If you're a fan of the metroidvanias gameplay, and have some friends who already own or will pick it up to play along then yes. It's extremely fun with pals. Can be fun solo, but you really gotta love some 'Vania.

jgkspsx

If anybody is still playing this, I'd love to join you. I've spent some time grinding on my own, but the puppeteer level is miserable in single player.

I have Origins and the pyramid one, but I'll be picking up the rest of the levels next week. I'm hoping the characters go on sale too, but we'll see.

firehawk12 said:
The game and it looks like all the DLC is on sale this week. Is it worth grabbing?

Whoops, it's next week... but the question still stands. :lol
Yeah, deal is May 3rd.

HoD was an excellent game when online rooms were full the first weeks/month.
If you got a friend willing to play, buy it. Don't bother for solo though.

As for the DLC, it should've been at that price day 1.
Can't believe it took them this long to put out a deal...

Top Bottom