• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 - |OT| - Dead and Loving It!

TentPole

God yes

I work with a dude who quit watching Breaking Bad cause of the fly episode..... like the ONLY bad episode in the entire series, not to mention it's several seasons in

Jesus Christ, what am I reading.

On Topic: I think I am about half way through the game and I think that this game is leaps and bounds better than the first. The enemies and Bosses are just so much better designed and the castle sections have had art design as good as anything in LoS1. That being said the modern areas are pretty lame in comparison.

Back to excessive handholding and easy-as-shit games it is then. "Thanks," game reviewers.

Seriously, I actually do think that game reviewers and the way they work have actually contributed to the "casualization" of games during the last decade. They hardly really get into games, they are frustrated if games go on for too long because they got to play the next game etc.

I think more game reviews and reviewers should be called out on that. Too many games have received too low scores because of a game reviewer's inability to properly play a game for the reasons cited above. See Wonderful 101, for example. Hell, some game reviewers are even complaining about the latest Donkey Kong game's difficulty while that is precisely what many gamers enjoy. Many game reviewers sniffed at the Souls games for a long time and only after a big community made them a household name, some game reviewers decided to see what all the fuss is about and are finally discovering these games now (see the GB guys, for example). There definitely is a disconnect between large parts of the enthusiast press and actual hobby gamers.

The gaming press have proved continuously that they prefer cinematic driven, handholding games that provide more of an experience than pure gamplay.

The only time they rate gameplay driven games high is when they are first person shooters/Nintendo games.

I don't listen to reviews any more. Ive started to stop listening to gaf. I buy the game myself and if i like it I keep it, if I hate it I sell it. Buying games at reduced prices helps too.

Ahasverus

You know that other game that was bashed when it first came, criticized for trying something new, hated by part the fanbase, declared flawed and said that the ones before were miles better?

It was called Symphony of the Night. Edit: nope, it seems not.

So...what's the general consensus on this game GAF? I'm hearing a lot of mixed things, but I absolutely LOVED the first one, and was really looking forward to this. I want it to be good :/
Absolutely no reason not to buy it if you liked the first.

So...what's the general consensus on this game GAF? I'm hearing a lot of mixed things, but I absolutely LOVED the first one, and was really looking forward to this. I want it to be good :/

You know that other game that was bashed when it first came, criticized for trying something new, hated by part the fanbase, declared flawed and said that the ones before were miles better?

It was called Symphony of the Night.

Absolutely no reason not to buy it if you liked the first.

Hmm..but I've heard that there's a lot of aspects about it that are worse than the first one though, especially the story/writing. And stealth in a Castlevania game really sounds unfun...maybe I'll just wait for the price to drop a bit on the PC version. I'm sure I'll probably enjoy this despite the reviews. Shit, I actually beat and kind of enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever, so maybe my standards are a bit low. lol

Ahasverus

Hmm..but I've heard that there's a lot of aspects about it that are worse than the first one though, especially the story/writing. And stealth in a Castlevania game really sounds unfun...maybe I'll just wait for the price to drop a bit on the PC version. I'm sure I'll probably enjoy this despite the reviews. Shit, I actually beat and kind of enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever, so maybe my standards are a bit low. lol

I think the only things worse are variety of locales and variety of enemies. Stealth sections are indeed out of place though, but they are a tiny part of the game. Completely overblown.

jett

D-Member

It was called Symphony of the Night.

WTF is this revisionist bullshit? SotN was an instant classic and was well received by pretty much everyone in the media.

Ahasverus

WTF is this revisionist bullshit? SotN was an instant classic and was well received by pretty much everyone.
No it wasn't. I remember it very well. I had a magazine that called it something along the lines of "A fun diversion from the main series". Most were dissapointed the PS1 Castlevania game wasn't a 3D game. The "Classic Status" was achieved like 2 years later when the 3D fever died out.

jett

D-Member
No it wasn't. I remember it very well. I had a magazine that called it something along the lines of "A fun diversion from the main series". Most were dissapointed the PS1 Castlevania game wasn't a 3D game. The "Classic Status" was achieved like 2 years later when the 3D fever died out.

PS1 reviews from the major outlets of the time:

EGM: 9.0, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5

Gamepro: 5.0(perfect score)

IGN: 9.0

Gamespot: "Quite possibly the best 2D action side scroller ever. "

Marcel

What in the absolute fuck are you talking about? I bought it back in the day partially because of the stellar reviews it was getting in game mags.

Miguel81

I knew that SOTN was great at the time, but it did get overlooked and sold poorly. It suffered the Bladerunner/The Thing effect where it's appreciated much more later.

jett

D-Member
I knew that SOTN was great at the time, but it did get overlooked and sold poorly. It suffered the Bladerunner/The Thing effect where it's appreciated much more later.

It actually sold around half a million units in America alone. It's bomba status is grossly overstated.

Dartastic

Welp, I'll be getting my Gamefly copy in today. I look forward to playing this, despite mixed reactions. The first one had people feeling mixed about it and I enjoyed it, so hopefully I'll feel the same about this one. Does anyone know if in the 360 version they fixed the graininess of it and the hard to see enemy attack animations that were present in the demo?

Miguel81

It actually sold around half a million units in America alone. It's bomba status is grossly overstated.

The late 90s were a bad time for 2D games. I tried to get my friends to play the game, and they were like "It's 2D, come on". Eventually, SOTN did get a Greatest Hits release, though.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
I retract, that might have been a spain/latin america thing then.

It got a few bad reviews from some European mags that were routinely lambasted by the fanbase. It only scored low because it was 2D.

I think it had a more negative reception in Europe because Konami went through the effort to duplicate the special package they released in Japan, but it didn't sell as well as they hoped. The game was greeted very warmly in North America.

Many game reviewers sniffed at the Souls games for a long time and only after a big community made them a household name, some game reviewers decided to see what all the fuss is about and are finally discovering these games now (see the GB guys, for example).

Demon's Souls was rated very highly from day 1. That aside, I don't understand why people assume some reviewers give low ratings just because a game is too hard. I'm not saying it doesn't happen (some Souls reviews provide that as the sole reason for mediocre scores), but it's definitely not happening with Castlevania, and it's not endemic in the gaming industry. Isn't it possible some reviewers just... don't like the game? That they found certain parts ANNOYING, not too hard? Games like Super Meat Boy, Spelunky and the Souls games, to name just a few, are far harder than Castlevania and scored very well.

I totally understand why people enjoying LoS2 would find a 4/10 score ridiculous, but the constant questioning of reviewers' skills (and even motives/hidden intentions) just because a gamer seems to take personal offense to a poor review is really petty and annoying.

Grisby

Did not know/maybe forgot that there was supposed to be a shop. Neat. The fact that it's run by
the Cupa-thingy
is pretty funny.

Also, the boss fight preceding that with
Medusa
was awesome. Some light Bayonetta stuff going on there.

Did not know/maybe forgot that there was supposed to be a shop. Neat. The fact that it's run by
the Cupa-thingy
is pretty funny.

Also, the boss fight preceding that with
Medusa
was awesome. Some light Bayonetta stuff going on there.

I loved all of this part.

icespide

Banned
Demon's Souls was rated very highly from day 1. That aside, I don't understand why people assume some reviewers give low ratings just because a game is too hard. I'm not saying it doesn't happen (some Souls reviews provide that as the sole reason for mediocre scores), but it's definitely not happening with Castlevania, and it's not endemic in the gaming industry. Isn't it possible some reviewers just... don't like the game? That they found certain parts ANNOYING, not too hard? Games like Super Meat Boy, Spelunky and the Souls games, to name just a few, are far harder than Castlevania and scored very well.

I totally understand why people enjoying LoS2 would find a 4/10 score ridiculous, but the constant questioning of reviewers' skills (and even motives/hidden intentions) just because a gamer seems to take personal offense to a poor review is really petty and annoying.

for the most part I agree with you. however, I do think that the pressures of having to complete a game within a certain amount of time could color impressions of certain low points in games

Agreed. I think we can discuss this game on our own merits and not worry about review scores. If there are people that don't trust paying $60 for the game after the reviews, that's their decision. For those of us who do like the game, what is there for us to worry about? We bought it and we're enjoying it. The Wonderful 101 was my favorite game last year, and it feels like maybe 15 people bought it. It's a tragedy for sure, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the game and coming away with a joyous reaction from it.

We don't need to belittle the opinions of others. The game isn't perfect and there are questionable design decisions going on. However, I've felt that way about many a Castlevania game, especially the Metroidvania games as they all feel like carbon copies of one another. I like those games, especially Symphony and Ecclesia, but I don't miss that style as it was truly run into the ground. Going forward I either want more 3D Castlevania but maybe in a different style, or perhaps a smaller, downloadable no-risk budgeted stage based platformer.

despire

So I have this preordered from Amazon for 33€. Should I keep my preorder?

Loved LoS1 but the impressions here have me a bit worried. Considering waiting for a price drop or the inevitable PS4 version..

Haunted

Initial impressions: game has some really fucking weird design decisions (both story and gameplay-wise).

The whole Belmont saga is interesting, but the way they're just telling you what happened with the other games (I thought this wasn't canon) is weird.

Fucking Stealth sections? Really?

The switch to real-time cutscenes was an excellent decision from a IQ perspective.

The switch to include many lengthy ones interrupting gameplay was not.

I love Robert Carlyle, but he did a really shitty job with his VO in the first game. He is much better in this.

I think the fixed camera was better.

Subtitle of this game should be The Adventures of Mini-Dracula, so many situations where the world looks comically oversized compared to the player, I'm really unsure what happened here.

Blades64

Banned
I want to get this game, but one thing that bothered me in the demo was the lack of hit-stun on enemies (felt like it to me at least).

Is that an issue in the main game?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

It was called Symphony of the Night. Edit: nope, it seems not.
lol, "seems not" indeed.

PS1 reviews from the major outlets of the time:

EGM: 9.0, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5

Gamepro: 5.0(perfect score)

IGN: 9.0

Gamespot: "Quite possibly the best 2D action side scroller ever. "
Add GameFan magazine to the mega-praise pile. I don't recall the rating but I recall the massive praise along with a line that went something like this: "If you don't buy this, you are just not a gamer.".

I want to get this game, but one thing that bothered me in the demo was the lack of hit-stun on enemies (felt like it to me at least).

Not that I've noticed. If anything, it's too easy to hit-stun sometimes. Most enemies can be completely interrupted by a well-timed launcher.

Sayter

Please help.

Im stuck choosing which is the right Camilla. I've chosen the wrong one 6 times straight. Which one is right?

Thanks.

Volcynika

Question for the boss where you get the Chaos Claws (
_Medusa_
)

I've beaten it but I was confused at one part:
When you're climbing up the arms and it tries to sweep you away with the other hand, how do you dodge that, since the only way you go is up or down?

Question for the boss where you get the Chaos Claws (
_Medusa_
)

I've beaten it but I was confused at one part:
When you're climbing up the arms and it tries to sweep you away with the other hand, how do you dodge that, since the only way you go is up or down?

The spines that pop out of her arm are climable

Did anyone else think, after the fight with (early on boss)
medusa, that it was a total node to the series with the red crystal after beating her
I smiled hardcore. Also love the damage numbers, etc that appear. Reminds me of SOTN. I had to remove the life bars though, that I didn't enjoy.

People saying it's the closest to a SOTN in 3D I think personally are right on the money. The same vibe I get. Also the modern stuff isn't a bother at all. There is one sequence shortly after the battle I mention above where you finally get outside and get a better look at the city. Looks wonderful. Also the soundtrack. I might have to pick up the OST for this. So good!

So yeah, every game has flaws and of course C:LoS 2 is no different. Yet I am absolutely loving the hell out of this game. I must play more!

Also the modern stuff isn't a bother at all. There is one sequence shortly after the battle I mention above where you finally get outside and get a better look at the city. Looks wonderful. Also the soundtrack.

So yeah, every game has flaws and of course C:LoS 2 is no different. Yet I am absolutely loving the hell out of this game. I must play more!

Glad your enjoying it man. Those two things, those are specifically the two things that are jutting out at me. Going through the city levels, feels really like Darksiders 1. Lots of broken down buildings etc., except Darksiders remedied that with the sequel, this has done the opposite. Can anyone in a non-spoilery way say if we get any locales at all similar to the first game, maybe later on? Barring the castle. Going through broken buildings and sewers is just uncomparable to the Forests, caves, Swamps and moutains of the first game. Are you praising the OST with the first game in mind?

I don't know. Like, I am having an okay time. But the mroe I play the more I think that LoS was more than the sum of its parts, while this is less than the sum of its parts. No spark that was there to get past the shortcoming of the first game. Maybe I just liked the first too much to give this a fair shake but this is how I feel. I really enjoyed the first and replaying it on PC last year showed it had aged well. This though, is just doesn't have the magic for me.

Can anyone in a non-spoilery way say if we get any locales at all similar to the first game, maybe later on? Barring the castle.

There's at least one non-castle/modern area that a lot of reviews have pointed to as a high point in the game. I'm not sure how long that lasts though. They made it seem more like a slight detour in the narrative than a big chunk of the game.

Glad your enjoying it man. Those two things, those are specifically the two things that are jutting out at me. Going through the city levels, feels really like Darksiders 1. Lots of broken down buildings etc., except Darksiders remedied that with the sequel, this has done the opposite. Can anyone in a non-spoilery way say if we get any locales at all similar to the first game, maybe later on? Barring the castle. Going through broken buildings and sewers is just uncomparable to the Forests, caves, Swamps and moutains of the first game. Are you praising the OST with the first game in mind?

I don't know. Like, I am having an okay time. But the mroe I play the more I think that LoS was more than the sum of its parts, while this is less than the sum of its parts. No spark that was there to get past the shortcoming of the first game. Maybe I just liked the first too much to give this a fair shake but this is how I feel. I really enjoyed the first and replaying it on PC last year showed it had aged well. This though, is just doesn't have the magic for me.

Well from a structure and story telling perspective, a lot has changed. It's no wonder some people are thrown off.

First game was very different locations due to the levels being broken up between stages and being magically whisped away on a flying hawk to far places, etc. (Which at the time I first played the game thought felt really silly until it grew on me) As a matter of fact, LoS chapters and the way it is broken down reminds me of SCIV map for some reason. Probably that both games had various locations outside of the Castle.

Now in LoS 2 we have this big interconnected enviroment that I'm guessing won't be nearly as varied due to the one central location but instead we get this vast city/castle to explore. Which also makes me feel it's more in line with something like SOTN. It's a pretty big contrast to what the first game was in that regard. Though I love it.

Hopefully you end enjoying it more then you are now.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Reposting my question because more people are playing now, and I still can't get a bead on if I want to pick this up.

For fans of the first game who are playing or have already finished LoS2, what does the progression of the game feel like in comparison to the first? Above all, my biggest takeaway from LoS1 was that even in its slowest moments at the beginning, it felt like a classic adventure with forward moving momentum through location after location of beautiful backdrops. From the footage I've seen of LoS2, that pacing feels changed in favor of more exploratory based traversal and the environments don't seem as frequently nice looking. I can appreciate combat improvements and opening the game up a bit, but that's not really why I enjoyed the first title (nor did I fret about how "Castlevania" it was). What say you to a weirdo like me?

It is definitely a good deal different, and I know what you mean about LoS1. It was one of the reasons I was interested in it pre-release, as I love when games give a good sense of adventure. Or a level shows something like a mountain in the backdrop and you seamlessly get there through gameplay, that shit is awesome. LoS1 had a ton of diversity though I thought it lost a chunk of that appeal with the abrupt level endings and timeskips to different areas. Though the latter is pretty unavoidable given how long the game already was. Still, I dug that stuff.

In here, your suspicions are pretty much right. Much more exploration and actual backtracking, semi-hub worlds that allow backtracking, ability teases to return to areas(the first LoS game did this, but the implementation was really odd for a linear game), stuff like that. The most abrupt thing to adjust to is that the city was built on top of the castle, so it's not really like there's a castle in the middle and you walk into it and explore. Instead, there are specific areas where a wolf can be summoned to basically warp you into it, and you can explore from there. From what I've seen the Castle has a ton of variance to it and is really great stuff, and the modern day is getting some unfair things lodged at it. Outside, there's a lot of clear gothic influence along with areas that still show off great scale. Some great art design is being pumped in both areas.

(fuckawful glare warning)
MAVccZRl.jpg

M1aEANKl.jpg

nRXoG5zl.jpg

Inside is where it gets more standard. So far I've been in a corporation full of pipes, hallways and the like, and a pretty beat up medical ward full of scattered chairs, patient beds, etc. Unless it changes I've been outside or in the castle the vast majority of the time.

All in all it could be hard to say if it will greatly affect you here. In a general sense, I would say any person who liked the first LoS game well enough should like this regardless, but I've already seen some posters break that mold. Personally, I have found this to be a better game from what I've played, with a similarly slow start to the first.

BLU-82

For anyone that has returned to the first castle area:

Do these fucking blood skeletons ever stop spawning? Am I doing something wrong? I have been fighting these assholes in this circular room for what seems like half an hour...

Maybe it's because I'm tired but I can't even see a way out lol I'm just stuck forever!

edit

wow never mind...

You are right about what this games is trying to do. If those were your motives for LoS1, I'd suggest waiting for a price drop.

It differs as far as that goes, but overall the game feels less slow, but less epic.

EDIT: Should note I'm 4-5 hours in and that the intro was very much an exception to my epic comment.

It is definitely a good deal different, and I know what you mean about LoS1. It was one of the reasons I was interested in it pre-release, as I love when games give a good sense of adventure. Or a level shows something like a mountain in the backdrop and you seamlessly get there through gameplay, that shit is awesome. LoS1 had a ton of diversity though I thought it lost a chunk of that appeal with the abrupt level endings and timeskips to different areas. Though the latter is pretty unavoidable given how long the game already was. Still, I dug that stuff.
*snip*
All in all it could be hard to say if it will greatly affect you here. In a general sense, I would say any person who liked the first LoS game well enough should like this regardless, but I've already seen some posters break that mold. Personally, I have found this to be a better game from what I've played, with a similarly slow start to the first.

Thanks for the answers. Though in the end I'd probably enjoy enough of LoS2 to make my time worth it, I think the changes will keep me away until it's a bit cheaper. As much as I disliked the chapter system of LoS1, in hindsight I really, really appreciated the variety in environments, and how the chapters, ironically, enabled the game to have such a sprawling, adventurous feel to it despite the linearity. The ultimate LoS1 sequel I was hoping for was something in the vein of the first one, but with more seamless God of War 2 style environment changes, but I had a feeling that was unlikely once the interconnected + backtracking elements were announced. And as superficial as it sounds, the modern setting not being as classically nice looking as a lot of the picturesque and lush locations from the first game will likely hurt the experience for me. I'll continue to keep my eye on everyone's impressions though because I'm still drawn to the game for whatever reason.

Do these fucking blood skeletons ever stop spawning? Am I doing something wrong? I have been fighting these assholes in this circular room for what seems like half an hour...

Maybe it's because I'm tired but I can't even see a way out lol I'm just stuck forever!

edit

wow never mind...
sounds like you got it, but
you have to kill the blood before it infects another pile of bones

Shinta

Banned

I'm playing on hard mode first time, and I haven't even had to heal yet, once. And they actually added healing relics ... It's too easy compared to the first one. Being able to suck blood, and the extended window for counters makes most enemies easy to dominate for me.

Apparently some reviewers had a lot of trouble with it. I can max the focus meter almost instantly from one counter.

Hopefully Prince of Darkness difficulty delivers.

edit

wow never mind...

LMAO, I
was just about to post something on that then tried it one more time and it was harpies that died in one wave. Maybe it's bugged when the skels spawn. I fought them forever a few times and kept dying. Must be a glitch?

Edit: Oh =\, I always miss something obvious, bah.

I'm playing on hard mode first time, and I haven't even had to heal yet, once. And they actually added healing relics ... It's too easy compared to the first one. Being able to suck blood, and the extended window for counters makes most enemies easy to dominate for me.

Apparently some reviewers had a lot of trouble with it. I can max the focus meter almost instantly from one counter.

Hopefully Prince of Darkness difficulty delivers.

See this is interesting. I'm on hard as well and find the window for blocking harder then the original, and the meter taking longer to fill up. Still not a problem for me at all though. Just have died a few times suddenly when I wasn't being careful!

Shinta

Banned
See this is interesting. I'm on hard as well and find the window for blocking harder then the original, and the meter taking longer to fill up. Still not a problem for me at all though. Just have died a few times suddenly.

There's definitely more unblockables than the first one. And they track your dodges more than you would expect, making you dodge closer to when the hit actually impacts. That did take a little adjusting for me but I guess I played the demo a few times.

The countering seems a little more forgiving though in my opinion, just based on what I remember.

Top Bottom