• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Review Thread

The Giant Bomb quicklook makes this shit look legit awful. The open world seems like a complete waste of time.

I think the open world came from them trying to get it away from the GoW comparisons. Cox made it sound like they were annoyed with the comparisons to that series and mentioned that this one would feel more like Zelda.

Camp Lo

Banned
Jacked this from Kotaku, not sure if it was posted but fuck it:

Review Round Up

IGN 6.5/10
Gamespot 7/10
Edge 4/10
Polygon 5/10
Game Informer 6/10
Eurogamer 5/10
GamesTM 5/10
Joystiq 4/5
CVG 8/10
Videogamer 6/10
Gamereactor 8/10
NowGamer 4/10
Play UK 81/100
OXM 8/10
Strategy Informer 7.5/10
Digital Spy 3/5
EGM 7/10
Hardcore Gamer 2/5
Push Square 7/10
Game Revolution 3/5
XONE Magazine 8/10
PSU 9/10
Xbox Players 8.3/10
BT Games 3/5
Inside Gaming 7.5/10
Gamesided 8/10
Expansive DLC 6/10
Metro 4/10
NGB 7/10
The Gamers Pad 7/10

I think the open world came from them trying to get it away from the GoW comparisons. Cox made it sound like they were annoyed with the comparisons to that series and mentioned that this one would feel more like Zelda.
They probably should have made it feel more like Castlevania :D

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Looks like an early past-gen, or late ps2 game to me.
image.php

(Obligatory)

jett

D-Member

That's quite the insult to every Zelda game ever made.

Seriously though, what a doofus. How can he be annoyed by the obvious?

Looking back at what he said, annoyed wouldn't be the right word

"The God of War comparisons really pissed us off."

And the Zelda comparison

Cox continues: "It's more akin to a Zelda game in terms of its structure. It's not like GTA where we just plonk you in. When we thought about doing a more open world environment we didn't want to have it like Batman where you're dropped in and there's no real structure. Story is so important to us. We have to lead the player in that direction. But giving players freedom as well was important too. That's the trade-off. If players don't want to follow the story they don't have to."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-08-the-god-of-war-comparisons-really-pissed-us-off

I can kind of see certain visual parallels between the combat in GoW and LoS, but the comparison stops there for me. GoW felt more polished in that regard.

Sanctuary

Ironically, it feels a lot more like the first Darksiders. Mostly in the setting though and a handful of enemies. Oh, and they also borrowed the dodge from that game too.

I can kind of see certain visual parallels between the combat in GoW and LoS, but the comparison stops there for me. GoW felt more polished in that regard.

It's a lot more polished. The combat in LoS2 was really only slightly improved over the first. Initially I thought having melee weapons that hit quickly would be a good thing, but it many situations it's just not, and you'll end up missing the light/dark whips from the first.

...it's true though? LOS2 feels more like Zelda in some ways.

Not sure why people bash Cox so much, I swear it's like the guy pissed in someone's Cheerios.

And I can see why the GOW comparisons pissed him off, considering that LOS doesn't feel like GOW whatsoever.

Ashram

Neo Member
After reading reviews and now playing the game for myself, I find it difficult to believe how the reviewer is playing the same game as me.

To quote the Edge review:
There’s the banal and unfailable linear platforming, your next destination shown by a noisy cloud of bats, which kills stone dead the prospect of any meaningful exploration. The bat cloud is itself also deeply flawed. Reach a summit and you’ll hear some of the chiropteran screeching that suggests an elevated handhold is nearby. You’ll look up and around and find nothing, then look down to find the cloud at your feet, guiding you back to the ledge from which you’ve just climbed.
How is this different than the first game, when they did the exact same thing? The only difference is that in the first LoS they highlighted a handhold in a golden color. I'm sorry, but that is just nitpicking.

Another quote from the same review:
Even more brazen is the way the frequent, lengthy loading times are hidden behind endless elevators, decontamination showers and supernatural airlocks.
I admit I'm not very far into the game but I experiences the above mentioned so called 'loading times' a few times already. How the reviewer can call those frequent and lengthy is beyond me. A game series like Assassin's Creed has much more loading time between sequences or time periods and I don't hear anyone complaining about those. Aside from that, I find it commendable that Mercurysteam tries to piece the whole gameworld seemingly together and tries to hide load times as much as possible.

Of course everybody is entitled to his or her own opinions, but some of the criticism I've read about this game could almost be directed to every big budget AAA-title.

Top Bottom