• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Review Thread

The Finnish Pelaaja-lehti gave it a 9/10, I think (or 8/10, but no lower than that). They know how to use the whole 1-10 scale and aren't usually too easy on games with their reviews. Seems weird there's this big of a disparity between reviews...

Or you know. Opinions...

Mask

Seems like most of the reviewers got stuck on the stealth sections, hence the bad scores.

Oh well, from everything people were saying about how much they like it in the OT, I'm still hyped for it.

jett

D-Member
The Giant Bomb quicklook makes this shit look legit awful. The open world seems like a complete waste of time.

Bedlam

I feel like I've said this like three times about LoS2 already, but screw it, I'm bored. This is the number-one thing that worried me about LoS2 and almost every review confirms that it's a problem. Whoever decided they should swap out the seemingly dozens of great locations from LoS1, which were sometimes beautiful, sometimes gothic and basically everything in between, for generic industrial crap should be firmly slapped. Maybe it just came down to budget and time, but it was still a bad decision. No way am I trudging through a Castlevania game set in a bunch of factories and sewers. Ugh.

The scenario variety was my favorite aspect of LoS1 (next to the great combat gameplay).

Just canceled my pre-order btw. I'm sorry MS/Konami, I wish things were different. :(

ironcreed

Banned
The Giant Bomb quicklook makes this shit look legit awful. The open world seems like a complete waste of time.

I wanted to ignore everything in order to just go in clean and form my own opinion. But I am tempted to take a look just to get an idea of what I'm in for.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I feel like I've said this like three times about LoS2 already, but screw it, I'm bored. This is the number-one thing that worried me about LoS2 and almost every review confirms that it's a problem. Whoever decided they should swap out the seemingly dozens of great locations from LoS1, which were sometimes beautiful, sometimes gothic and basically everything in between, for generic industrial crap should be firmly slapped. Maybe it just came down to budget and time, but it was still a bad decision. No way am I trudging through a Castlevania game set in a bunch of factories and sewers. Ugh.

I think those environments are included in so many games because they're so simple and easy to design and build (so for budget/time reasons, as you said). It's just insane to me that Mercury Steam decided to pad their game out to ridiculous length (AGAIN!) instead of maintaining high quality art throughout, which was one of the first game's best attributes.

In my book they are simply mediocre game designers who got lucky with LOS1. In the first game it was evident that they had little ability to distinguish between good ideas and bad ones, and now it seems evident that they also have little ability to learn from their mistakes.

To be fair to MS, I haven't yet read anything about whether the combat system is any good, which is what I'm primarily interested in. So maybe they managed to improve that aspect even if they didn't do a great job with everything else.

ZenTzen

from what i'm seeing the only problem with this game is the stealth, which a real problem and should have never been there in the first place, otherwise the story seems fairly interesting, the combat loads of fun if not on the level of games like DMC3/4, Bayonetta or MGR.

Bosses look freaking fantastic, theres some characters that wouldn't look out of place in a silent hill game, so creepy

And no this game isnt just industrial environments, it has really nice gothic environments and the only bad ones are the heavy industrial ones and by the looks of it they arent many and for the most part theres a good balance between gothic and urban environments

Gonna be a while before I play it but the fact that it's 20 hours has me dreading it already. That's my biggest problem with the Darksiders games & LoS, action games don't need to be that long.

Redbox it is, then. I didn't think the first one was all that great, save the monster design, but I'm interested enough in seeing where the story goes to drop $4 for a weekend rental and power through.

AEREC

Ouch...seem unanimously mediocre...will wait for a steam sale.

Shame...I loved Los and was looking forward to this one.

Mr. RHC

It's a shame, I really hoped this game would go out with a bang and would lift both Mercury Steam and Castlevania to new, glorious heights.

I may have lost my avatar bet, but I'm still confident it will be a satisfying conclusion.

I guess KojiPro didn't help them this time.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

DukeBobby

Gonna be a while before I play it but the fact that it's 20 hours has me dreading it already. That's my biggest problem with the Darksiders games & LoS, action games don't need to be that long.

Yep, that's my biggest problem, too.

Lords of Shadow should have been 8-10 hours at most. It was 15+ hours long, but only 5-6 hours of that was good content.

Had an early copy for past week - very disappointed in it especially as a fan of the 1st game which I really enjoyed. Graphically it even looks worse which was strange in itself.

d1rtn4p

Man. Loved the first game to death. Can't help but feel disappointed here. I think I'll still definitely pick it up in a future Steam sale however.

butman

Ouch!

With this we can say that it's a very low number of developers able to achieve the combination "great graphics" + "gameplay".

The challenge of Next Gen will not be only stunning graphics you know?

Raw64life

Even though I bought and enjoyed the first one I had a bad feeling about this game from the beginning. I was never able to muster up any hype for it and the mediocre reviews combined with an onslaught of games coming in March makes this easy for me to pass up.

oxidax

But i really really enjoyed the Demo!! i dont get those reviews what did i miss?
I guess im gonna have to rent it and find out

Fellow Euros must be giving Mercury Steam the Iberian bump.

It's difficult for me to take seriously any publication that gave Castlevania Judgment a better review.

I suspect I'll say the same about ones that gave better reviews to Curse of Darkness given the complete lack of level design, variety, or anything other than a decent OST and combat.

It's difficult for me to take seriously any publication that gave Castlevania Judgment a better review.

I suspect I'll say the same about ones that gave better reviews to Curse of Darkness given the complete lack of level design, variety, or anything other than a decent OST and combat.

Those games came out years ago. Would the reviewers even be the same? And haven't standards gone up for this kind of action game?

Top Bottom