• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow [New artwork, renders and screens]

bumpkin

Man, this game is looking better and better... If they can pull off what they are setting out to do, this will be an amazing game. I could very easily shrug off the "GOW clone" impression that the trailers have given so far, provided that it doesn't lose the elements that make a Castlevania, well, a Castlevania.

As an aside, does the main character remind anyone else of Shang Tsung's costume in MK: Deadly Alliance? :lol

23h0jrd.jpg

Not impressed. It just looks off. Of course this is just my impressions of screenshots, but outside of the character design, had I seen these screens without knowing what game it is, and if someone told me it was from Castlevania, I'd be like, really?

So yeah. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point. Not digging the jungle-looking area at all though, and the enemies look really bad.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Looks pretty sweet, although the character designs tend less toward classic Castlevania and more Lord of the Rings imo.
My exact thought.

Orcs? Really? Even things which would fit into Castlevania, like the giant spiders and werewolf are styled more like their run-of-the-mill high fantasy variants than they should be.

I'm seeing bright woods with giant leafy trees and fairy dust floating in a sylvan glen. Link or Aragorn or the Grey Warden would fit in perfectly, but not a vampire-hunting Belmont.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Looks awesome. Currently waiting for the thread where some joker claims it's insulting towards the Castlevania story and how it rips off GOW.

LaneDS

Let's hear some of those classic CV tunes that are supposedly being rearranged for this already!

They can really tie it together as feeling CV with the right soundtrack, as far as I'm concerned. Not too confident they will, but here's hoping.

Salz01

you know looking back at the hand drawn artwork, thats more in line what I feel is a castlevania than what is portrayed in the rendered / ingame screen shots. I hope there isnt a disconnect in the art team and the 3d team.

HYDE

Banned
I think the environments, and concept art are great; however, the main character and any of the creature designs are extremely generic. I think Dante is more appealing than the main character for this game, and that is sad because people want to attach to a cool looking main character.

Confession time, I've never played any Castlevania game ever. Ever.

But I've been listening to the Video Games Live CD which ends with Castlevania and I hear the way people talk about the series and I feel like I'm missing out.

So, where should I start? I figure Castlevania fans will be in here and able to offer advise, should I start with something off of the virtual console or jump to SOTN, on XBLA? I plan to do the same in the future with Metroid, I played the prime games, but never any of the 2D ones. I didn't own a NES or a SNES, so I missed the boat on a lot of these old series. But first things first, Castlevania. Thanks.

Aru

Dead Man Typing said:

But I've been listening to the Video Games Live CD which ends with Castlevania and I hear the way people talk about the series and I feel like I'm missing out.

So, where should I start? I figure Castlevania fans will be in here and able to offer advise, should I start with something off of the virtual console or jump to SOTN, on XBLA? I plan to do the same in the future with Metroid, I played the prime games, but never any of the 2D ones. I didn't own a NES or a SNES, so I missed the boat on a lot of these old series. But first things first, Castlevania. Thanks.

Start with Super Castlevania IV. Then Rondo of Blood. Finally, play SOTN.

HYDE

Banned
Aru said:
Start with Super Castlevania IV. Then Rondo of Blood. Finally, play SOTN.

I would actually skip Super Castlevania IV(at first), and just play Rondo and then SOTN
You'll then know which type you like better old school or new.
Then play I/III/IV if you like old, or then COTM/AOS/DOS/OOE if you like new.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dead Man Typing said:

I haven't played the DS Castlevanias but START WITH SYMPHONY OF THE NIGHT on PS1!

Johnas

Dead Man Typing said:

Since there are a lot of them, if you want to play the better ones, avoid Lament of Innocence, Curse of Darkness, and Portrait of Ruin.

Personally I'd recommend I, II, III, IV, Symphony of the Night, and Aria of Sorrow.. Never played Rondo, but it's universally acclaimed. The DS games are kind of in the middle, for me personally. I find each one to be overrated to a degree. You'll find a good bit of variety in those six I recommended, although Aria essentially follows Symphony's template.

Johnas said:
Since there are a lot of them, if you want to play the better ones, avoid Lament of Innocence, Curse of Darkness, and Portrait of Ruin.

Personally I'd recommend I, II, III, IV, Symphony of the Night, and Aria of Sorrow.. Never played Rondo, but it's universally acclaimed. The DS games are kind of in the middle, for me personally. I find each one to be overrated to a degree. You'll find a good bit of variety in those six I recommended, although Aria essentially follows Symphony's template.

Skip the DS games, but not II?

I kind of feel I'd like to start at the beginning, then skip what I don't need.

I have the Wii's virtual console and a DS at my disposal, as well as the previously mentioned 360 for SOTN. So I think I'll play the first NES game on VC and then decide where to go from there.

I did finish Shadow Complex recently and I must admit the "Metroidvania" genre has never been one I thought I'd enjoy, but I found that game strangely addictive after an hour or two. So I do want to play SOTN, but I don't want to go into that cold to the series. I also just listened to an old Retronaughts 1up podcast talking about Castlevania's 20th anniversary, so I feel like going to school on something retro.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Maybe it'll feel more like Castlevania once we see the undead enemies and the inside of the castle??? It just feels off. It doesn't look bad but it doesn't look anything Castlevania either.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Always-honest said:
well,.. i was hyped for this game.. but GoW3 kinda makes a lot seem underwhelming these days..

hope the game will be great. i'll keep a close eye on it.

I feel the same way but still looking forward to the game.

andymcc

Banned
Speevy said:
It's not as though the 3D games have an entry to which we actually want to draw comparison.

what? while lament of innocence may not have been a great game, the art direction at least said "castlevania". this doesn't at all look like a castlevania title.

This is meant to be a complete reboot of the franchise; I for one welcome the change in art direction, as long as the inside of the castle is castlevania-ish.

Foffy

Banned
Where in the world are any traditional enemies?

It's like they're just stealing monsters from Lord of the Rings and putting them in a Castlevania game.

Those gremlin/fleamen?/dreadlocked warriors look VERY strange, even for Castlevania standards. That's saying a lot that it stands out more than a Yeti or a rabbit who uses a clock.

andymcc

Banned
Foffy said:
Where in the world are any traditional enemies?

It's like they're just stealing monsters from Lord of the Rings and putting them in a Castlevania game.

Those gremlin/fleamen?/dreadlocked warriors look VERY strange, even for Castlevania standards. That's saying a lot that it stands out more than a Yeti or a rabbit who uses a clock.

it's clear that this game just has the castlevania name slapped on it in a lame attempt to trumpet up sales.

Foffy

Banned
andymcc said:
it's clear that this game just has the castlevania name slapped on it in a lame attempt to trumpet up sales.

I donno. Cox did mention the game was originally intended to be a remake of Castlevania/Super Castlevania/Chronicles, but in 3D.

They've gone a way to reference other locations in games, though. There's a place called Wygol in Lords of Shadow, and it's probably the same Wygol from Order of Ecclesia.

Monster design thus far is so not Castlevania, that much I'll admit. It needs more gothic enemies.

andymcc said:

That's been shown not to be the case. The guys working on it really care about the franchise and are big fans (particularly of SCIV). And they aren't trying to recreate those games in 3d. They're trying to lead the series in a new direction. We'll see how it works, btu they certainly have their hearts in the right place.

andymcc

Banned
ConcealedBlaze said:
That's been shown not to be the case. The guys working on it really care about the franchise and are big fans (particularly of SCIV). And they aren't trying to recreate those games in 3d. They're trying to lead the series in a new direction. We'll see how it works, btu they certainly have their hearts in the right place.

oh no.

TreIII

andymcc said:

Your "oh no" is my "oh yes." :lol

Any way, considering this series has seen everything ranging from motorcycle skeletons to kung-fu maids, I don't see how rather generic gremlin/orc type things are THAT off-setting.

Uninspired? Possibly so, but not off-setting.

Error said:
hoping this isn't a qtefest like gow, qte killed gaming.

I've seriously gotten to the point where if a game has annoying QTE sections it really hurts my overall experience. When I beat the shit out of something and that something is starting to see its life flash before its eyes, I don't think it should get a lucky break because I didn't press circle fast enough, or twirl the left analog stick counter-clockwise and the right analog stick clockwise while thumbing my asshole (I only have two thumbs)

You hit something until it dies. End of story.

Hmm...I don't know. It's looks great but I'm not too excited for this game anymore. I know there's a castle, a whip, and a Belmont but...it's like it's missing something.

andymcc

Banned
DevilWillcry said:
I don't care what anyone says. This thing is already a day 1 purchase in my book.

yeah, as the battered housewife to castlevania, i'll buy the game regardless of how much shit i talk about it.

Foffy

Banned
Shadow Red said:
Hmm...I don't know. It's looks great but I'm not too excited for this game anymore. I know there's a castle, a whip, and a Belmont but...it's like it's missing something.

Monsters that seem fitting for the series? :p

I mean, even Curse of Darkness had awkward monsters, like those Orcs with the crossbows. These dreadlocked gremlins take the cake though, next to any Judgment design anyway. I think the best monsters thus far as the demons with wings but..why do they have to carry daggers? They can just have claws.

Cerberus

Does Kojima Productions have a large role in the development of this game or is it just Kojima/Imaizumi visiting MercurySteam (or MS going to KP's headquarters) to check on their progress and give advice?

Ridley327

Cerberus said:
Does Kojima Productions have a large role in the development of this game or is it just Kojima/Imaizumi visiting MercurySteam (or MS going to KP's headquarters) to check on their progress and give advice?

The latter.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I dont like the lead character design but they seem to be totally doing justice to the environments in a castlevania game. Im hoping this is awesome.

Beth Cyra

Hmm well those shots did nothing to raise my intrest. Still though I will more then likely pick up the game day one because I love Castlevania.

All that said between the Company continues steam of shots against Iga's games (which I really enjoy, well outside of Judgement) and the fact that the new game starring Alucard was canned for this (Is this correct? I am not sure as this is just what I was told.) makes it easier and easier for me to hate it.

Cerberus said:

Kojima was brought in to supervise the love story. That's about it.

gogojira

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Looks pretty sweet, although the character designs tend less toward classic Castlevania and more Lord of the Rings imo.

Co-sign. Thankfully the game looks good enough to look beyond the cave trolls and goblins.

Top Bottom