• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow [New artwork, renders and screens]

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I'm REALLY liking what I'm seeing here. Not getting a very CV vibe from it but I'm nothing if not open-minded. I've never been a fan of GoW but if they can get a good balance of platforming and exploration in there I'm sold.

L00P

It doesn't look Castlevania-ish because a lot of the shots look...outdoorsy. And they are on broad daylight.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
L00P said:
It doesn't look Castlevania-ish because a lot of the shots look...outdoorsy. And they are on broad daylight.

Yeah I'm hoping what we've been seeing so far is the slow build up to the reveal of the castle ala CV4. I want to run through lots of dark gothic corridors by candlelight!

Khezu

I have been hyped for this game ever since that article with dave cox where he said the game is more like Prince of Persia then God of War.

Never been a huge fan of the series, played a lot of the games and enjoyed them for the most part, but its never been a series that really stood out to me. Also the constant metroidish games wore me out.

Still I really hope it turns out good.

Ranger X

There are basic things this game will need to accomplish:

1- Looking gothic
2- Vampire stuff somewhere
3- Hitting fucking candles

If this doesn't happen the game is not good.

Foffy

Banned
Ranger X said:
There are basic things this game will need to accomplish:

1- Looking gothic
2- Vampire stuff somewhere
3- Hitting fucking candles

If this doesn't happen the game is not good.

1- The castle they've shown in the extended trailer, so yeah. Gothic stuff is found.
2- Not only does the game have vampires, but vampires with dreadlocks. :lol
3- This was initially considered but has since been omitted from the game. You get the equivalent to hearts by beating enemies.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Why can't Castlevania games have vampires as enemies?

EDIT: Saw post above. Thats one thing I liked about the N64 games

~Kinggi~

Banned
luka said:
Yeah I'm hoping what we've been seeing so far is the slow build up to the reveal of the castle ala CV4. I want to run through lots of dark gothic corridors by candlelight!

EXACTLY. What i loved about Super Castlevania 4 was the whole part of the game leading up to the castle. It blew my mind back in the day that off in the distance i could see the castle on a hilltop and i was still many levels away. We take all that shit for granted now.

:(

If you can look at the screens and renders and still believe that B.S. about SCIV being this game's bible, then I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

andymcc

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
If you can look at the screens and renders and still believe that B.S. about SCIV being this game's bible, then I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

i am not alone.

Ridley327

Segata Sanshiro said:

Far be it for me to argue with a man capable of detonating his foes on impact, but I'm glad I'm in such good company.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
What is going to happen with Iga's Castlevania? Is this going to re-write the story? What about the 1999 game Iga had mentioned?

Retro

rockman zx said:

Reminds me of the works of Caspar David Friedrich, one of my favorite artists.

14ayhee.jpg

He did quite a few churches and graveyards in his native Germany, lots of ruins and such as well. If they're using even a few pieces of his work as reference shots, they're on the right track.

Lots of non-Castlevania areas isn't a bad thing; Simon's Quest largely ignored it, CVIII had a lot of lead-up to it, as did SCV4. Bloodlines started there, but ended up all over Europe, Rondo had a few sections outside as well.

You might even go so far as to say that only the first and the early Metroid-vania games really stuck to JUST the castle.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
hitsugi said:
so... this is what castlevania is turning into?
To be fair...err... realistic, this game wasn't even a Castlevania title until mid-development when the ramblings of the internet gave Konami's marketing guys one too many ideas.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
grandjedi6 said:
To be fair...err... realistic, this game wasn't even a Castlevania title until mid-development when the ramblings of the internet gave Konami's marketing guys one too many ideas.

I don't believe that.

Retro

Dead Man Typing said:
Confession time, I've never played any Castlevania game ever. Ever.

But I've been listening to the Video Games Live CD which ends with Castlevania and I hear the way people talk about the series and I feel like I'm missing out.

So, where should I start? I figure Castlevania fans will be in here and able to offer advise, should I start with something off of the virtual console or jump to SOTN, on XBLA? I plan to do the same in the future with Metroid, I played the prime games, but never any of the 2D ones. I didn't own a NES or a SNES, so I missed the boat on a lot of these old series. But first things first, Castlevania. Thanks.

Super Castlevania IV is definitely the one that got the gameplay right where it needed to be, so that would be my first recommendation. Don't be shocked if it kicks your ass, there are parts of that can be extremely cheap, but that's kind of a hallmark of the early series.

Rondo of Blood is also highly acclaimed as the best of the series, but I can't say for sure since I haven't had a chance to play it. If you can play it, go for it. If it's even half as good as people have said it is, it's still a great game.

Emulate Castlevania I and III for the NES. The games have pretty rigid controls by today's standards and some rather obnoxious challenges, so you'll be happy to have save states to work from. These games will basically earn you your Bachelors in Castlevania, with such courses as Stump-Jumping 101, Medusa Heads: Bane of your Existence and Historical Perspectives on Controller Smashing: When Bosses were actually Hard.

Play Castlevania II: Simon's Quest with a FAQ. It is nigh unplayable even when it was released; the game has very obscure 'puzzles', NPCs that purposely mislead you, and a lot of ground to cover. It differs greatly from the other three games I've mentioned, in that it is more adventure oriented and non-linear. It almost plays like a sidescrolling action/RPG with Survival Horror elements... all before Action/RPGs and Survival Horror were even defined. It's a decent game, vastly ahead of its time, but really really really broken. So. Save yourself some frustration and explore a pretty interesting game; use a walkthru. This is completely optional, but still rewarding. And if you're liberal with save states, you can do it in a few hours.

If you can find a way to play Bloodlines (the only Genesis castlevania), do that as well. It has a lot of really interesting levels, great music, and is actually quite a blast. Less optional than Simon's Quest, but you could still pass on it if you didn't feel like tracking it down.

After that, move on to Symphony of the Night, the first of the Metroidvania titles. This is my favorite game of all time, though it is not without flaws. That said, the flaws are vastly overshadowed by the awesome parts. SotN, for all intents and purposes, was a 'side story' that kind of became the 'new series'... there are lots of reasons why this may be, but I personally think it's because the SotN formula is 'proven' and IGA's creative powers only apply to different magic systems, it seems.

Many people will tell you to leap at the GBA / DS Metroidvania games (Aria of Sorrow especially), but they're mostly retreads of SotN and I'd consider them completely optional. If you feel the need to keep playing SotN-clones, Order of Ecclesia and Aria of Sorrow are the only two that really stand out. Avoid Harmony of Dissonance at all costs.

If you have a Wii, Castlevania: Rebirth is also an excellent choice.

The 3-D Castlevanias are fair to middling, but completely optional and somewhat archaic given their release early in the days of 3-D games (Castlevania 64, for instance, is very rough around the edges but still playable).

If you decide to try all of the games I've bold faced, you'll pretty much have the entire series under your belt with only a few exceptions that really aren't worth your time. Castlevania is a great series with a ton of great games in it, but some of them are really not that essential to your PHD in Vampire Hunting.

Of course, that's just my opinion and some people will probably flip out that I'm forgetting the Gameboy games or treating Lament of Innocence or Curse of Darkness or the N64 games as optional... But really, these are the highlights of the series.

grandjedi6

Andrex said:
I don't believe that.
Then do you believe the officially given reason: that they didn't want to divert attention from Castlevania Judgment? You know the shitty spin-off fighting game on an entirely different platform? (I love how Order of Ecclesia doesn't somehow figure into this worry despite releasing at the same time).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
grandjedi6 said:
Then do you believe the officially given reason: that they didn't want to divert attention from Castlevania Judgment? You know the shitty spin-off fighting game on an entirely different platform? (I love how Order of Ecclesia doesn't somehow figure into this worry despite releasing at the same time).

I don't believe either. They wanted to drum up hype, that's all.

Castlevania is my all-time favorite game series, so I am definitely hoping this turns out good. I am concerned about Kojima's involvement (not a fan of MGS), and this developer who i have never hear of, but there is potential here nevertheless.

I really, really hope they focus on platforming rather than GOW-style fighting.

TreIII

grandjedi6 said:
Then do you believe the officially given reason: that they didn't want to divert attention from Castlevania Judgment? You know the shitty spin-off fighting game on an entirely different platform?

If anything, I think this IGN article gets closer to the overall truth.

...Even more surprising is the previously undisclosed fact that there were in fact a number of prototypes in parallel development competing to continue development as the current generation's Castlevania resurgence. "Konami came to us and said 'Japan is going to pitch, America is going to pitch, and you guys are going to pitch. We'll pick one" to make the series exciting again, Cox told me.

- http://ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1082798p1.html

I'm thinking that some where between this game and that "Alucard game" that was shown at TGS a while ago but has since dropped off the radar, the above quote may have some relevance.

Perhaps it was just a thing that Konami was considering IGA's game at one point, before they decided to silently withdraw support from that project and place stock in Cox's project instead.

jrricky

Banned
I really hope IGA is making another one for the upcoming 3DS or the final one for the DS so I can forget this abomination was ever announced.

grandjedi6

TreIII said:
If anything, I think this IGN article gets closer to the overall truth.

- http://ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1082798p1.html

I'm thinking that some where between this game and that "Alucard game" that was shown at TGS a while ago but has since dropped off the radar, the above quote may have some relevance.

Perhaps it was just a thing that Konami was considering IGA's game at one point, before they decided to silently withdraw support from that project and place stock in Cox's project instead.
Now that I can sortof believe. I wonder what the American pitch was, and who was behind it?

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Dead Man Typing said:
Confession time, I've never played any Castlevania game ever. Ever.

But I've been listening to the Video Games Live CD which ends with Castlevania and I hear the way people talk about the series and I feel like I'm missing out.

So, where should I start? I figure Castlevania fans will be in here and able to offer advise, should I start with something off of the virtual console or jump to SOTN, on XBLA? I plan to do the same in the future with Metroid, I played the prime games, but never any of the 2D ones. I didn't own a NES or a SNES, so I missed the boat on a lot of these old series. But first things first, Castlevania. Thanks.

My two cents.

If you're not afraid of going oldschool, I'd recommend Dracula's Curse. It's the best of the NES trilogy and yes it's hard, one of the hardest games in the series, but it will get you ready for the challenge of classic Castlevania.

But you have to play both Super Castlevania 4 and Rondo Of Blood. These are pretty much the most acclaimed classic CVs, and they are both, amazing titles.

Then, of course SOTN. After that, if you're hooked, than the rest of the series is awaiting you. I recommend the lesser known Belmont's Revenge and Castlevania Chronicles too. Personally, I'd say Aria Of Sorrow and Order Of Ecclesia are the best Metroidvanias.

Gouken

Banned
could this be the real Castelvania that would resurrect the vania series from the dead? (besides the hand held versions)

Amalthea

Banned
Retro said:
Reminds me of the works of Caspar David Friedrich, one of my favorite artists.

He did quite a few churches and graveyards in his native Germany, lots of ruins and such as well. If they're using even a few pieces of his work as reference shots, they're on the right track.

Lots of non-Castlevania areas isn't a bad thing; Simon's Quest largely ignored it, CVIII had a lot of lead-up to it, as did SCV4. Bloodlines started there, but ended up all over Europe, Rondo had a few sections outside as well.

You might even go so far as to say that only the first and the early Metroid-vania games really stuck to JUST the castle.

Man, I thought "If I ever get rich I'll buy that painting" but guess what; it was destroyed in 1945! :(

eso76

i liked the trailer, but these shots range from ugly to ok.
Art looks very western (technically it is, i know).

Maybe Konami should really hand the franchise over to Capcom at this point.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm not even expecting a "Castlevania" out of this anymore, just a good action game.

loosus

Banned
I'm all for getting rid of the prissy motherfuckers of the post-SOTN games (so major points for that), but man...this game just doesn't look much like Castlevania at all. Not even the 2D games. Makes me question why they're calling it that at all.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
jrricky said:
I really hope IGA is making another one for the upcoming 3DS or the final one for the DS so I can forget this abomination was ever announced.
why would you want yet another igavania shitfest? OOE was the last of its kind I'll play. Game sucked and I'm sick of these Igavanias.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking forward to the new Devil May Cr....ummm...Castlevania.

Instro

Looks good, Im still wondering what happened to the CV shown at TGS though. Wonder if that became the supposed 3DS game or something instead.

Oh and they need to fix the main characters face.

Chemo

Error said:
why would you want yet another igavania shitfest? OOE was the last of its kind I'll play. Game sucked and I'm sick of these Igavanias.
Yet another champion of truth. Keep preaching, brother.

Top Bottom