• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Lords Of Shadow Ultimate Edition |OT| Now at 60 FPS!

People talking about how they'd live with 30fps if it meant 1080p in the next console gen need to sit down and play this next to the PS3/360 version side by side. Somewhat a moot point considering you get image quality AND framerate with this port, but it's a great example of the ENORMOUS difference 60fps can make to an action game.

Problem is that console versions were in the low 20's most of the time so it's not the same as comparing it to a game that actually runs at a solid 30.
Still a huge improvement in both cases obviously but using LoS as a representation of games running at 30 isn't accurate.

PooBone

I loved the console version of this, and the demo runs swimmingly on my PC. I'll probably play through this one again while I wait for next gen.

Yuterald

Played this at launch on PS3, got the Platinum and such ages ago, but I decided to double dip on the PC version. I love this game still. I grew up with Castlevania (III one NES being my first) and while I still consider SotN to be my favorite, this re-imagining by Mercury Steam just hits all the right marks for me. I swear, this game is just one big anomaly. I just don't get how one of the most unlikely studios with a somewhat questionable pedigree/history could create/craft something like this. Given how horribly "Western" studios usually handle Japanese franchises, Lords of Shadow really is the exception to the norm. Will be replaying this off and on until 2 comes out. Oh, and of course, it runs and feels so much better to play, lol!

Ce-Lin

I'll be picking this one up for sure. I hope my rig is still strong enough. Well it was for BF3 but not strong enough for Amazing Spider-Man...(???). I hope it's optimized well.

it's well optimized, a somewhat modern quad core not necessarily the latest i7 (3570K) and a cheap 660 Ti (best value for money right now as you can find 3 GB models for $99) was enough for me to play through the game at 1080p 60fps everything maxed without a hint of slowdown, the game was designed for PC and ported to console. Not the case for the sequel but that's a different topic.

TGMIII

You can't really compare that on-rails sequence with the normal gameplay. Gabriel has totally different moves during that sequence and the Wargs behave differently as well. Do you equal the sloppy motorcycle levels in Bayonetta to the actual gameplay as well? I doubt it.

I think what some people wrongly perceive as "hit detection issues" is rather a muted sense of impact compared to games like GoW or Bayonetta. I've played LoS enough to know that hits are detected correctly in this game. It's just that the visual feedback sometimes (depending on the particular enemy) is not as immediate and "harsh".

There's definite issues with some of the enemy attacks in regards to where their animation is and when it hits. For me it's easiest to see with the Wargs. Stand close enough to them when they're swinging their left claw and you can very clearly see that you're hit by the active frames of the attack long before the animation is even half way.

That said, it's not something that was a huge gamebreaker for me since it didn't actually impact me that much but it is annoying.

Parallacs

Played for a couple hours and found a thousand things to criticize about it.

But instead of writing if off and complaining about it on here, I will keep an open mind and try to enjoy the rest of the game.

It is very pretty downsampled.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
People talking about how they'd live with 30fps if it meant 1080p in the next console gen need to sit down and play this next to the PS3/360 version side by side. Somewhat a moot point considering you get image quality AND framerate with this port, but it's a great example of the ENORMOUS difference 60fps can make to an action game.
As someone else noted, it's not really a fair comparison as the console versions ran at VERY poor framerates often dropping as low as the teens. If it ran at a consistent 30 fps it would have felt a lot better on consoles.

No Love

Banned
it's well optimized, a somewhat modern quad core not necessarily the latest i7 (3570K) and a cheap 660 Ti (best value for money right now as you can find 3 GB models for $99) was enough for me to play through the game at 1080p 60fps everything maxed without a hint of slowdown, the game was designed for PC and ported to console. Not the case for the sequel but that's a different topic.

Where can you find 660 Ti 3 GB for $99? Haven't seen that price before. That's insane for someone that's willing to do an SLI setup.

TheIconizer

Neo Member
Thanks for the information. Well I have Radeon 1GB 6950. But that's only the dedicated memory. Splinter Cell looked fine 1080P ultra. If I can run it high it'll be great. I have i5 2 years model.

Firebrand

Demo seems to run mostly at 60 FPS on my ancient E8500/GTX260 with SSAO off and Shadows on Medium (the only settings I tried), only thing that's (very slightly) choppy are the loading screens when the text's fading in.

Will probably pick this up on when it's sale. I'm not a fan of that style of combat but after getting spoiled on the story by the LoS2 trailer I actually kinda want to play through it for the story, and the environments.

DieH@rd

Banned

But instead of writing if off and complaining about it on here, I will keep an open mind and try to enjoy the rest of the game.

It starts really slow, dont give up.

No man, go make a LTTP thread to tell people how much the game sucks even though you're barely passed the intro.

Seriously though, it gets better and then it kinda gets worse again lol. It's a long game and there are some parts that I'm sure you'll enjoy. It has its ups and downs.

Finally got the shadow amulet, this is where I remember the game really clicking. Grabbed a few pics too on my way to it.

ea74945d-35d0-4dcb-843wsv9.jpg

The second is a little blurry since it's in motion but it cracked me up haha.

Looking forward to really ploughing on now, with the combat balanced out a bit.

I'm having trouble trying to make the game to detect my controller. I'm using a Logitech Rumblepad 2 and trying emulating it as a 360 controller with x360ce. Any ideas?

Ce-Lin

In magical christmasland next to the gumdrop house on lollypop lane.

oh my god haahah, no... just second hand market ! a lot of people had let go of their perfectly functional 660 Ti's going for a 770, so I ditched (not ditched, just put aside) my 7950 and got two Gigabyte WindForce 3OC 3GB 660 Ti's for less than 200 bucks, they are silent, draw moderate power and in a SLI configuration offer an absolute top performance for 1080p gaming, I'm more than impressed with these 192-bit buses' underrated babies.

Vitet

I'm having trouble trying to make the game to detect my controller. I'm using a Logitech Rumblepad 2 and trying emulating it as a 360 controller with x360ce. Any ideas?

I'm playing with a Wii Pro Controller using also x360ce without problems. Did you put the required files in the "bin" folder?

forrest

formerly nacire
Played the shit out of this on my ps3 and absolutely loved the entire game. Can't wait to pick it up on steam soon!

I couldn't play this game on PS3 cause of the awful framerate. Once this is on sale on steam, it'll be mine.

If you can stomach £15.50 (or dollar equivelant), you can get it for that off GMG with their 20% off code, steam code of course. Granted it'll probs go a bit cheaper at the end of the year, but I think that's a good price.

Love the pics too, got a last few of my own I took before finishing up for the night. Managed to get to the end of chpt.3. I love how fun the combat is once you've got both amulets. Saving my skill points for the long haul , I want the 6000 holy relic upgrade, I'm at 200 I think haha :( will be worth it though.

Anyway, two more pics. If I'm showing anything anyone considers too far, please say, I don't want to be a spoiler or cause anyone to stop checking the thread.

Everyone always remember's Pan's Temple (for good reason), but I love the lighting elsewhere too

And quite proud since I took this while gripping for my life haha

I have next to no history with Castlevania but always thought how great the art looked for this game when it came out on consoles. Tried the demo and think I'll go ahead and buy it, for the visuals if nothing else.

OverHeat

« generous god »
I did my part double dip!
Only complaint so far ( finished chapter 1) is that some 2d element from the background stick out like a sore thumb.

~Kinggi~

Banned
WHen i finally buy this i imagine the real mind blow is gonna be the 60 fps at HD as opposed to the 25 console FPS. I beat it on consoles and loved it, but i really wonder what difference the 60 fps does.

The games crashes for me whenever it plays a pre-rendered cut scene. If i keep trying sometimes I'll go through but most of the time it just crashes. the screen goes black and I have to hard restart the computer. Anyone have this problem or know of a solution?

Running it on:
i7 920 stock
GTX 570
8g ram

void666

Banned
So far i'm not enjoying this game very much. Gameplay is nice but story is meh. Enemies and scenarios are ok at best. I'm at chapter 2. I hope it gets better.

And i really hate the fixed camera and loads of invisible walls. I've played all main god of war games and it never bothered me there.

Also Patrick Stewart's voice is boring as hell. And it's funny hearing his voice when his character looks a lot like Sean Connery.

Ahasverus

So far i'm not enjoying this game very much. Gameplay is nice but story is meh. Enemies and scenarios are ok at best. I'm at chapter 2. I hope it gets better.
It does, exponentially at the last level of Chapter 2. Chapter 3 is short but god like.

I took some when I played that level
1080p with maxed settings. My GTX 480 handles it pretty well at 60fps

Excuse me while I clean off my keyboard

Maedhros

God, how I hate the camera in this game... it's so fucking shitty. =/

And God.. The bog area... I remembered why I hate that area!

Playing on Knight difficult from the go, btw.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
This game looks really nice.

EDIT: thumbnails instead. Blowing the images up to 2880x1620 looks messy. I'm still trying to find an ideal way to do screenshots.

Played it last night and just defeated the
Ice Titan

Man, it feels like a real slog to play. Looks pretty but just so boring to play. I really hope you guys are right and that this game actually gets better later cos I almost fell asleep playing this last night.

Charlie Manx rollin' through town!

Haha exactly what I thought when I read that comment last night. Was thinking he wouldn't have used that if he'd read the book.

Anyone been following the LoS2 new close enough to know whether they've spoke about pc features or if it'll have DX11 yet? This game does look great but after taking a bunch of screenshots, it's porty-ness does leak in a bit, mostly a lack of tesselation is bugging me just a little. Don't get me wrong though, for a 2 year old game that was shooting purely for consoles, it's ridiculous (ly good looking). I can only imagine how much better the sequel could look with the extra pc focus.

EDIT: Cleaned that up a little, realise what I was trying to say may have been very unclear.

Haha exactly what I thought when I read that comment last night. Was thinking he wouldn't have used that if he'd read the book.

Anyone been following the LoS new close enough to know whether they've spoke about pc features or if it'll have DX11 yet? This game does look great but after taking a bunch of screenshots, it's porty-ness does leak in a bit, mostly a lack of tesselation is bugging me just a little. Don't get me wrong though, for a 2 year old game that was shooting purely for consoles, it's ridiculous.

I don't understand. Did you honestly expect tesselation in this game?

I don't understand. Did you honestly expect tesselation in this game?

LoS2 news sorry. I love for there to be, now it's a simultaneous release, *hopefully* as much focus, I'd love if they threw some extra features in there. I didn't say anything about expecting though, and it was just a simple question about pc features in general, while referencing something I thought about this 1st game a few times playing this over the last few days (especially going back and forth between this and SC Blacklist). Went back and edited that comment though, it was pretty unclear rereading it. To be clear, I previously played LoS all the way through at launch on 360, I did not expect added tessellation to a two year old port haha it was intended as a "here's a random example of what would make the next one look even better".

Top Bottom