• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. Just a perfect game from start to finish. But what is everyone's fav Vania here?

VGEsoterica

For modern consoles - Rondo of Blood is only on PS4 that im aware of.
It needs to be on Xbox and Switch.
Another Castlevania Collection from Konami would be ideal.

Rondo is the pinnicle of 2D gameplay and graphics in my eyes. SOTN is way too easy - as much as I like the game - you have to force yourself to use weaker equipment to make it not a snoozefest. Rondo is hardcore to the max.

I tried Rondo on Retropie but I dont trust the emulation and I have trouble making it fill the screen properly.
Mednafen is what you want if you want to emulate OG Rondo. Get stand alone Mednafen

Drell

My favorites "Classicvanias" (as opposed to Metroidvanias) are Rondo, Dracula's Curse and Bloodlines.

And I'll have a controversial opinion there but I think CV4 pales in comparaison of these 3 games. It's slow, the colors are washed out, the games has a lot of slowdowns problems and the more ambiant style of music is not really my cup of tea when listening these 3 others game that have so many bangers to offer. Of course I wasn't around there in 91, 92. I only got the SNES around 96, 97, being born in 89 so I never experienced this game with child eyes, but I still don't enjoy CV4 as much as the others 8/16 bits titles.

CV3 is my favourite. Rondo is 2nd fav.

While I like SotN, I disliked that it lead the way to Metroidvanias which destroyed CV series for me. IMO, subpar Metroidvanias with bad balancing, awful level design, switch from "Conan the Barbarian" protagonist to cliche emo-twilight poser losers, switch from energy pumping music tracks to random church or baroque silliness. Oh, and reused sprites being the only good ones in later games, while new ones having stiff and awkward movement animations and look.

Just Classicvania >>>>>>>>>>>> Metroidvania CV outside of SotN.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Ive been playing the saturn version of SOTN and its pretty awesome. I do not know why the 3 character choices never made it into any of the rereleases?

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The legend just grew from there and I still remember playing Rondo on some VERY JANKY emulator in the early 2000s and just being blown away.
Same, and it's the only time I ever paid for an emulator (Magic Engine, if anyone remembers that one). At the time it was the only option whch seemed to be working on my machine. Worth it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Just beat SotN for the first time.

Huge shock: it's fantastic and has aged like a fine wine. Just grabbed the Advance collection on Steam in the sale, will slowly chip away at all the GBA and DS games.

Gojiira

SOTN of the classic games but overall Lords of Shadow, Robert Carlisle as Gabriel really makes the character and the final scene with his wife was really well delivered and emotional. On top of that I think it really showed how a modern Vania should be done.

GeekyDad

Dawn of Sorrow was my late introduction to the series, so it has that shine no other Vania has matched, and I also love the almost Scooby Doo vibe the characters and dialogue artwork have. Played quite a few since then, and haven't come across one yet I haven't really liked. Another odd mention, perhaps, Castlevania ReBirth on Wii. I loved that one so much. Played the living heck out of it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Somehow I missed this thread.

My favorite as a kid was Simon's Quest, that game was/is damn fun and my older brother and I managed to beat it back then, it was mostly him but we tackled it together to solve puzzles and remember enemy layout/invisible blocks on the floor.

As I got older, Super Castlevania IV was my favorite for years due to it's relative ease and music/atmosphere.

These days though, Rondo of Blood, hands down and it isn't even close. That game is simply mind blowing. Definitely get the Requiem collection if you've never played it, the game is a straight up masterpiece.

Last edited:

dave_d

Is Kid Dracula any good? Oh, FWIW they've got it pretty cheap on the switch in the Castlevania Anniversary Collection.((It's $4)

Top Bottom